HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Nov 30, 2021, 9:58 PM

I find The Arkells to be very enjoyable. It's OK to just enjoy some pleasant music for fun, not everyone has to be Bob Dylan or John Prine-level songwriters.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2021, 10:54 PM
Fake News

I find the Arkells to be forgettable generic bar rock. Basically just mediocre can con content that is the modern day equivalent to Patio Lanterns by Kim Mitchell or Just Came Back by Colin James. Music that makes me drift off and hear this song while it's playing:

Video Link

Old Posted Dec 1, 2021, 12:01 AM
Great White Norf

Old Posted Dec 1, 2021, 12:13 AM

This is the video I remember for Lovers in a Dangerous Time - cover by BNL.

Check out the Wintertime stroll through Scarborough in the early 1990s during the peak of a severe economic recession. Very soul-sucking views but it made the video one that I never forgot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_oOc3Zj0KU

Old Posted Dec 2, 2021, 4:31 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco101 View Post
This is the video I remember for Lovers in a Dangerous Time - cover by BNL.

Check out the Wintertime stroll through Scarborough in the early 1990s during the peak of a severe economic recession. Very soul-sucking views but it made the video one that I never forgot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_oOc3Zj0KU
That is grim. Their music only enhances the soul suckingness of winter in Scarborough.

Here's another soul sucking Canadian band I can't believe hasn't been mentioned:

Video Link

Old Posted Dec 2, 2021, 4:48 PM

I've always liked BNL. Many of their songs "anchor" me at a certain point in my life. And yes... Page and Robertson are not what you would THINK could work together (and it DIDN'T work out in the end) but the gestalt of BNL is undeniable: the whole is greater than the sum of it's parts... it always just "worked" for me. "One Week" is a blast.. but "Call and Answer" is haunting too.

I love steak, but I also eat the occasional Costco hot dog.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2021, 6:11 PM
The Vomit Bag.

I can't stand Great Big Sea

But I love the Pogues.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2021, 7:35 PM

I always hated Simple Plan and "I'm Just a Kid", it sucks songs like that get so popular, but is it really worth giving even more attention to them? As bad as Simple Plan were, I'm sure there is plenty worse, who get no attention for good reason. I mean, just give me a guitar, I can show you worse easily.

And so many good bands also get no attention at all, or have been unfairly forgotten. Better to spend your time and energy to give attention to those bands. Bands like By Divine Right, Thrush Hermit, Slowburn, King Cobb Steelie, Gandharvas, and so much more.

We can't focus on the usual mediocrity, because it is usual, mediocrity is normal, so let's spend the short time we have on the stuff that actually stands out, that is actually worth spending time on. That goes for anything: music, films, restaurants, neighbourhoods, architecture, and more.

Video Link

Video Link

Video Link

Video Link

Video Link

Old Posted Dec 2, 2021, 7:36 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwell View Post
Regardless there are far worse examples of Canadian "grant rock" that people seem to love but I find absolutely mired in mediocrity. May get some flack for this one but the Arkell's probably tops my list.

Thank you for saying this. The Arkells suck.

I have no idea why they're are as popular as they are or why they get the amount of media support that they do.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2022, 2:37 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Old Posted Jan 20, 2022, 3:28 PM
The Vomit Bag.

In 20 years, this will be a roofing contractor's paradise.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2022, 7:16 PM
A Better Place

80% of Brampton, Markham, Richmond Hill, Vaughan, et. al. is soul sucking.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2022, 7:22 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
In 20 years, this will be a roofing contractor's paradise.
Virtually every house in my immediate neighbourhood has had their roofing redone in the last 1-3 years. They all went to shite at the same time........

Old Posted Jan 20, 2022, 7:23 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
80% of Brampton, Markham, Richmond Hill, Vaughan, et. al. is soul sucking.
I don't know how people do it. Just seeing the rooves from the 407 is soul-sucking enough.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2022, 7:29 PM
Melissa: fabulous.

What is the alternative for them?

Old Posted Jan 20, 2022, 8:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyYOW View Post
I know what you mean. It's what's being built. That's the current supply for most houses. But looking at it from another perspective, there's lots of people buying those that alternatively could have bought a house in a mature neighbourhood where's there actual diversity in style, with big yards and driveways, and lined with a canopy of trees.

I grew up in an 80s Brampton subdivision in a typical snout nose house. Though our house was on a hill with a raised deck and backed onto a huge forest and the surrounding streets were a mix of rich houses, normal houses like ours, semis and towns. With some topography to boot. So not exactly soul sucking. But, if every street looked like mine, then it would definitely be soul sucking.

Anyway, it's what I was used to and I was perfectly willing to buy something like that as my first house and we looked at quite a few. But I ended up in a 70s neighbourhood with all the positives I mentioned above and now I can't go back to that soul sucking-ness. Mind you, I wouldn't mind some of the nicer furnishings of a new house in those new subdivisions, but there's too much pushing me away from those now.

People are people. Everyone is different. Most people don't care. They are satisfied with having a house in a safe neighbourhood. We here are more the minority, who think beyond just that. If more people were like us, then you'd hope that developers wouldn't have gotten away with that crap or city council wouldn't have allowed it. But I used to be one of those people.

Now it's gotten to the point where I almost resent having to drive through these subdivisions when I'm visiting someone. And that's most of the time because most people I visit live in these types of places, ranging from 80s built to the last 5 years. For the odd person I know who lives in a mature neighbourhood, I actually look forward to driving there. It gives me a boost.

On the other hand, I'm also not a city guy. So I also dislike driving through high density Old Toronto neighbourhoods, even if it's attractive SFHs. A lot of it is because the roads are narrow and lined with cars, but I also dislike the lack of creature comforts I've been accustomed to, like a spacious driveway I can shoot hoops on or a lawn I can actually play on with the kids. From a personal perspective, when it comes to where I live, I place more emphasis on functionality than most of the city type people on here over things like form, vibrancy, intimacy, character etc. But I get it. I understand how having character in a house, street, neighbourhood and city is appealing. It keeps things interesting. And I get people who like small towns or rural lifestyle. Not for me, but I see some of the appeal in it. However, I can't see anyone actually saying they love living in a neighbourhood where their house looks the same as all the others, where everyone has a single twig in their front yard, where they have to get in the car to get anything, where the only recreational space is a token playground with a slide and two swings.

When I pass by random new subdivision or some street off Parkside Dr. in the city, I say, no, not for me. Either way, it's basically a chore when I visit my parents in Brampton, even though the street runs along the forest, or the inlaws in Sauga, even though it's close to the Credit River and there's no house now that is worth less than $2m there (of course, they shouldn't be worth anywhere near that). Those are 80s developments with proper foliage in the yards. It's obviously worse when I visit the BIL in the Orchard in Burlington (10-15 years old) or my cousin in Stouffville (15 years old and as bland of subdivision as you can imagine). It's also a chore when I visit my cousin in Leslieville and it's basically a lottery on whether I'm going to find parking close by, or I have to go on a mission to find it. And right now, I'd avoid at all costs because the streets (with all the cars) are narrow enough, but throw in the snowbanks and forget about it. Of course, if I was already in the city, I could just take transit, so I'm just speaking from my personal situation now.

Having said this though, it would be nice if I could actually walk somewhere to get food, personal services and shop, etc.

Last edited by megadude; Jan 20, 2022 at 8:50 PM.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2022, 4:37 PM
Fake News

You should see new neighbourhoods in Calgary after severe hailstorms. All of the cheap vinyl siding looks like swiss cheese and needs replacement. I remember driving through one neighbourhood last summer that had been hit and there were construction bins every second house and roofers and siding company trucks all over the place.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2022, 5:02 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyYOW View Post
Metal.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2022, 1:10 AM
It's Hammer Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
Indeed. It is from a cover from The Dark Tower series after all.

I had to beg my wife to take a picture of Leonardozilla for me as we drove by on the highway (I was driving). She knows about Clockzilla but still took some explaining.

I saw this proposal from Guelph and immediately thought about Clockzilla.

https://www.societydevelopments.ca/our-developments

Old Posted Mar 20, 2022, 1:17 AM
Great White Norf

Someone please stop the Clockzanity

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada