HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > London Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted May 10, 2022, 11:38 AM

The city is marking the day with a day of remembrance but the article doesn't mention if the memorial will be done by then https://lfpress.com/news/local-news/...-afzaal-family

Old Posted May 11, 2022, 3:42 AM

The city construction map says that the memorial will be finished by May 31st. Hopefully that is the case and that there are no construction/weather delays so that it will be ready the following week for the day of remembrance.

https://maps.london.ca/renewlondon

Old Posted May 11, 2022, 2:21 PM
The Vomit Bag.

I petitioned the city (with more than 1200 signatures) to have them rename the park adjacent to the site where the family was struck, in their memory.

Never got a reply from my councilor (Josh Morgan), despite at least a dozen emails...only from one of his underlings.

How hard is it to acknowledge such a worthy initiative?

Old Posted Jun 7, 2022, 4:13 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Downpour cuts short vigil for slain family members in London, Ont.

cbc

cbc

I was there last night. Huge crowd. But then the heavens opened, and the winds drove the torrential rain sideways.

I live next to South Carriage Road.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2022, 7:25 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2024, 5:23 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Judge rules killer of London, Ont., Muslim family committed terrorism, calling it a 'textbook example'

Quote:
The actions of a man who was convicted of murder and attempted murder after deliberately driving his truck into five members of the Afzaal family in London, Ont., on June 6, 2021, amounted to terrorism under Canadian law, a judge ruled Thursday

"One might go so far as to characterize this as a textbook example of terrorist motive and intent...By not referring to the offender by name, and not restating his views, I am trying to reduce the potential use of these proceedings as a platform for the ideology that spawned the violent acts of June 6, 2021."

Old Posted Feb 23, 2024, 5:29 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Unfortunately his total sentence will still remain at 25 years due to the Bissonnette Supreme Court ruling, before which he would have had a 100-year sentence (4 x 25) served consecutively.

I think Bissonnette would have had 150 years before the ruling. Now he also only has 25.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2024, 6:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Unfortunately his total sentence will still remain at 25 years
It will be life with the possibility of parol after 25 years. Just because there is the possibility of parol doesn't mean he will be released.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2024, 7:08 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by inimrepus View Post
It will be life with the possibility of parol after 25 years. Just because there is the possibility of parol doesn't mean he will be released.
I don't believe that's true. Unless he is declared a dangerous offender (which AFAIK he has not been), he cannot be kept in jail once he has served his 25 years.

In Canada, a life sentence is defined as 25 years in jail. Not the entire rest of your life in jail.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2024, 8:35 PM

Quote:
I don't believe that's true. Unless he is declared a dangerous offender (which AFAIK he has not been), he cannot be kept in jail once he has served his 25 years.

In Canada, a life sentence is defined as 25 years in jail. Not the entire rest of your life in jail.
I agree, but I also think a conviction of terrorism is probably a pretty solid case to get him declared a dangerous offender. No way does this guy walk free in his 40's. And if he does, I doubt he lasts long.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2024, 2:36 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djeffery View Post
I agree, but I also think a conviction of terrorism is probably a pretty solid case to get him declared a dangerous offender. No way does this guy walk free in his 40's. And if he does, I doubt he lasts long.
Alexandre Bissonnette has not been declared a dangerous offender, and he killed six people just because they were Muslim.

If he isn't designated, there is unfortunately almost no chance Nathaniel Veltman will be.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2024, 9:46 PM

Quote:
Alexandre Bissonnette has not been declared a dangerous offender, and he killed six people just because they were Muslim.

If he isn't designated, there is unfortunately almost no chance Nathaniel Veltman will be.
He also wasn't charged (inexplicably) with terrorism, which Veltman was, which might end up being the difference.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > London Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy