HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Oct 14, 2021, 11:40 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tykendo View Post
Because they're so cool. Todays designs are sleek, futuristic, and flat out badass. Add serious colorful lighting, and you have a beacon for prosperity, and excitement. No more bland architecture please. The Morrison Tower Project designed by KPF would have been so cool. Instead we got the stumpy ODS Tower.
Exactly this

Old Posted Oct 15, 2021, 12:40 AM

Im sure that when Portland grows to have an average density of over 8000 people P/Sq/m you will see some taller buildings. Usually cities that have tall buildings under that kind of density are either oil towns, vacation hot spots or very large banking and or insurance centers.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2021, 1:22 AM

"have a beacon for prosperity"
By in large Portland is a very middle class city. When I think of prosperity I think of the top 10% of the wealthiest. I sure wouldn't mind a condo down at SoWa or The Cosmo in the Pearl district but........

Old Posted Oct 15, 2021, 6:48 AM
A before E

I have to say, I have lived in Portland since roughly the beginning of the Pearl District and have watched that district grow. I was driving up N Interstate Ave the other day and I have to say, I am really impressed with how the skyline for the Pearl District has developed.

With the potential of the Broadway Corridor, the Pearl District Skyline is gonna get even better with some 250-350ft buildings and hopefully 1-2 400ft+ buildings would have a big impact on that portion of the skyline.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2021, 4:05 PM

For Portland's size I think we do ok myself.
here's something to think about--https://www.capitalfrontiers.com/single-post/2020/03/18/which-us-cities-have-the-biggest-downtowns

Old Posted Oct 15, 2021, 4:17 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post

I have to say, I have lived in Portland since roughly the beginning of the Pearl District and have watched that district grow. I was driving up N Interstate Ave the other day and I have to say, I am really impressed with how the skyline for the Pearl District has developed.

With the potential of the Broadway Corridor, the Pearl District Skyline is gonna get even better with some 250-350ft buildings and hopefully 1-2 400ft+ buildings would have a big impact on that portion of the skyline.
Let’s just demo the place first

Old Posted Oct 15, 2021, 8:08 PM

I for one would not suggest turning the entire Pearl District into a forest of modern mid/hi rise buildings. The development that's occurred there over the past 30 years has been gradual - you might even say organic - allowing the district to maintain a connection with its heritage during the transformation from industrial to residential. Whomever was responsible for the master plan - there was one if I'm not mistaken (?) - should be given a big hug.

The example of Paris is interesting and informative in that a decision was made to create an entirely new district separate and distinct from the "old city" - La Defense I believe it's called - where all of the new tall, glassy structures would be confined. I've always thought that our Lloyd District might be a worthy (!) candidate for that type of development here. Are height limits there in line with those elsewhere in the city?

Old Posted Oct 15, 2021, 10:04 PM

Location: Portland (part-time); warm foreign countries (part-time)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorbinWarrick View Post
Let’s just demo the place first
Could you please explain your latest comment? It seems that you are suggesting that central Portland should be demolished first in order to create your utopia of skyscrapers.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2021, 11:02 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMH View Post
Could you please explain your latest comment? It seems that you are suggesting that central Portland should be demolished first in order to create your utopia of skyscrapers.
No I meant the post office. All this talking and planning so I meant can we Atleast demo the place first before we dream. It seems like we can’t even do that

Old Posted Oct 15, 2021, 11:24 PM

Location: Portland (part-time); warm foreign countries (part-time)
Quote:
No I meant the post office. All this talking and planning so I meant can we Atleast demo the place first before we dream. It seems like we can’t even do that
Well, it is not difficult to find out the timeline for development of the site.

https://www.broadwaycorridorpdx.com/current-work

Demolition is to occur in a matter of months, within the first quarter of 2022. That will be followed by infrastructure and new street work to prepare for development. Can't we be a little more patient, especially with our disrupted economy and much speculation about the future of office work?

Old Posted Oct 16, 2021, 6:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMH View Post
Well, it is not difficult to find out the timeline for development of the site.

https://www.broadwaycorridorpdx.com/current-work

Demolition is to occur in a matter of months, within the first quarter of 2022. That will be followed by infrastructure and new street work to prepare for development. Can't we be a little more patient, especially with our disrupted economy and much speculation about the future of office work?
Seconded. The demolition process takes alot of time in itself for a site like this, with the structure and corresponding streetways. Since the developer is now TBD, years will pass before we see any construction, which is OK considering the site, master plan and expected build out for this site.

I admit that I'm impatient for *some projects to get off the ground, but not all. Some sites are complicated and complex, and this one (imo) fits that category, given all the intricacies behind it. It's a connecter between the pearl, train station, old town and the broadway bridge. Its a "statement" site that offers huge opportunity, but timing and economics play a huge role it its success. Its a project that should be well thought out and take time, rather than push hurry-up solutions.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2022, 2:16 AM
BANNED

So looks like demolition should start soon (I highly doubt that)

Old Posted Feb 23, 2022, 4:30 PM

Quote:
So looks like demolition should start soon (I highly doubt that)
This may be a reason for delay: https://www.wweek.com/news/2021/11/1...-he-was-wrong/

Old Posted Feb 24, 2022, 12:57 AM
BANNED

Wow great find. This city is so freaking weird. My god what the hell is the big deal to get this demo started and give this brother the job?! It’s not hard! Why do they make this so hard in this town

Old Posted Apr 19, 2022, 12:39 AM

Demolition permits are under review:

Quote:
BROADWAY CORRIDOR USPS P&DC Demolition - demolish the former USPS P&DC building. Portions of the site will have corrective actions in preparation for future public infrastructure and future Broadway Corridor vertical development. This portion of the project is not development.

BROADWAY CORRIDOR USPS ETB DEMO - demolish the ETB building. Portions of the site will have corrective actions in preparation for future public infrastructure and future Broadway Corridor vertical development. This portion of the project is not development.

OLD USPS DEMOLITION - the abatement and demolition of the vehicle maintenance facility, and the removal of an underground storage tank and contaminated soil remediation around the tank, facility and in the nw corner of the lot

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Last edited by maccoinnich; May 27, 2022 at 5:00 PM.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2022, 2:18 AM
BANNED

We’ll believe it when we see it

Old Posted May 27, 2022, 5:00 PM

Three intergovernmental agreements [PBOT, PBOT / Water Bureau, Parks] going in front of the City Council on Wednesday.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted May 28, 2022, 9:23 PM
BANNED

Whatever happened to demo’ing the place? Lol

Old Posted May 28, 2022, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Whatever happened to demo’ing the place? Lol
Corbin, you've brought this up on multiple instances and the answer remains the same, it's in progress, takes time, and its not going to happen overnight. The demo permits are under review, as of April, so buckle up, because the ride won't be short.

https://www.portlandmaps.com/detail/...did/?p=R140726

Demoing this property will take time. The PDX waterfront is not the vancouver waterfront, nor will it ever be. And tall skyscrapers take alot of time, energy and collaboration to build.

Old Posted May 28, 2022, 10:57 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxsg34 View Post
Corbin, you've brought this up on multiple instances and the answer remains the same, it's in progress, takes time, and its not going to happen overnight. The demo permits are under review, as of April, so buckle up, because the ride won't be short.

https://www.portlandmaps.com/detail/...did/?p=R140726

Demoing this property will take time. The PDX waterfront is not the vancouver waterfront, nor will it ever be. And tall skyscrapers take alot of time, energy and collaboration to build.
I understand that but they’ve had nothing but time. Literally

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland