HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Nov 4, 2013, 6:08 AM

I realize it's more complicated... And the Coach deal involves a lot of moving parts including related buying their existing building... But coach IS buying their Hudson yards space for about 750 mil... SAP is a lease I believe..but coach is a condo type arrangement.

From what I've read time warner is proposed similar to coach. With related buying the time warner center and TW buying their tower space at hy.

Let's withdraw "at cost" and just call it a really good deal.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2013, 2:18 PM
She needs her space

^^Just looked into it to see what all the fuss was about.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-0...rds-tower.html

So Coach is paying $750M for 740,000 SF, or roughly $1,000/sf. Apparently it's "below cost" and being treated as financing to get the rest of the tower done since it is mostly a cash deal. Midtown class A towers often trade for $1500+/sf, and this being Midtown West you wouldn't necessarily see the same pricing, even with new construction. That being said, the remaining 1 million SF to be leased to L'Oreal, SAP (top 5 floors), and others are probably at rates that approach up to twice what Coach's average base is. Even here in SF in my own office building, the lower floors may average ~$50/sf while the mid-level floors average $65-75 and the high floors average $80-90+, and this is a 48 floor vintage 80s building that can be seen as the equivalent of a "GM Building" in Manhattan (which had an interest trade for $1900/sf this year and ironically my own company had a large stake not too long ago in the same building). I can only imagine the difference in a Midtown new construction office tower such as this with lower floors and higher floors showing an even greater delta in "lease" rates (Coach likely paid a $ amt for its space based on what it would normally lease it for and what market pricing would be, with discounts of course for anchoring and this that and the other...pricing is rarely based on if ever based on "cost" of construction, which is why just like in resi buildings the lower floors may actually go for "below cost" while the higher floors go for "way above cost").

The senior construction loan is syndicated between multiple banks and the equity comes from multiple sources, $100M of which comes from JP Morgan. I bet this is one of the most complicated capital stacks going in the country right now.

Needless to say, what's obvious to me is that neither the WTC towers nor the towers going up in Midtown West and elsewhere are or should rely on the Financials (like Citi). With that whole industry as frugal as it ever has been (big 10 banks at least - I work for a mid-size equity shop myself and this section of the financial sector is expanding, equity and VC in particular as the rise of tech and other industries is more reliant on alternative financing sources rather than banks, but we won't ever anchor a big new office tower, merely take up a floor at best), I would think that all big new towers are reaching out to tenants they normally wouldn't. The financial sector offered the credit backing one needs for such an anchor though. A big new tech firm may not have the history or credit, nor is necessarily looking for shiny NEW digs either in lower Manhattan OR Midtown (thinking Google in 111 Eighth as an example).

Hopefully as with deals already signed at the WTC site and Hudson Yards, more non-Financial firms step up to the plate. I'd love to see this tower go up before the Coach Tower or Hudson Yards North and will be sad if it never does rise To me it's a much more elegant building and personally, I'd rather be in Lower Manhattan than Midtown West, which just doesn't seem as alive or snazzy.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2013, 9:04 PM

"this tower go up before the Coach Tower "

Quote:
Originally Posted by simms3_redux View Post
^^Just looked into it to see what all the fuss was about.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-0...rds-tower.html

The senior construction loan is syndicated between multiple banks and the equity comes from multiple sources, $100M of which comes from JP Morgan. I bet this is one of the most complicated capital stacks going in the country right now.

Hopefully as with deals already signed at the WTC site and Hudson Yards, more non-Financial firms step up to the plate. I'd love to see this tower go up before the Coach Tower or Hudson Yards North and will be sad if it never does rise To me it's a much more elegant building and personally, I'd rather be in Lower Manhattan than Midtown West, which just doesn't seem as alive or snazzy.
The South/Coach tower is projected to top out in September of next year. Occupancy in 2015, which seems believable to me, and I assume they'd have the platform/deck surrounding Coach well under way.

Which tower would you like to see go up before the Coach or HY North are you referring to?

Last edited by vkristof; Nov 7, 2013 at 11:18 PM.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2013, 5:44 AM

Old Posted Nov 11, 2013, 11:57 AM

Amazing ! There a lot of new towers in Manhattan !!

Old Posted Nov 11, 2013, 4:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superMike View Post
Amazing ! There a lot of new towers in Manhattan !!
To many to keep up to date with haha. Didnt realise this was already three floors!

Old Posted Nov 11, 2013, 8:09 PM

Good photos

Old Posted Nov 11, 2013, 9:22 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

Interesting that it's been steel-reinforced concrete construction on this one so far. Will this one eventually switch over to steel, or will it be concrete all the way up?
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Nov 12, 2013, 2:09 AM

^^ I was wondering the same thing. The Time Warner Center has a concrete base and then steel frame towers, its possible that this will be built in the same fashion.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2013, 2:07 PM
New Yorker for life

http://www.thehighline.org/blog/2013...ine-at-the-rai

New Design Concept for the High Line at the Rail Yards

November 11, 2013
Erika Harvey

Quote:
Tonight we unveiled the latest design concept for the Spur, a unique area within the third section of the High Line at the Rail Yards, at a public presentation at the School of Visual Arts Theatre.

Neighbors, supporters, members, and friends gathered for a presentation of renderings of the Spur by the High Line Design Team’s James Corner of James Corner Field Operations and Ric Scofidio of Diller Scofidio + Renfro, as well as an update on the progress on construction and the project timeline by Friends of the High Line Co-Founder Robert Hammond.

The Spur is the gateway to the High Line at the Rail Yards. It extends across the intersection of 10th Avenue and West 30th Street. Decades ago, this extension, called the 10th Avenue Spur, connected with the Morgan Processing and Distribution Center, allowing freight trains to carry mail and packages to and from the upper-floor loading docks of the post office building. Today, the Spur is the widest area on the High Line and occupies a strategic position in the neighborhood, where it will serve as a visual access point to Hudson Yards, and offer visitors a new and unique park experience.

The new design for the Spur will offer the public an immersive experience of nature in the heart of New York City. Visitors will enter a circular structure lined with dense woodland plantings that creates an intimate setting. The structure will also provide much-needed work space and amenities, such as public restrooms.

Friends of the High Line and the City of New York are working to open the High Line at the Rail Yards as quickly as possible, with a goal of a full public opening in late 2014. The Spur is expected open to the public 1 – 2 years after the opening of the rest of the rail yards section of the High Line.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2013, 4:57 PM

Beautiful. The way this area is going from horrendous to showstopper is nothing short amazing.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2013, 8:16 PM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee View Post
Interesting that it's been steel-reinforced concrete construction on this one so far. Will this one eventually switch over to steel, or will it be concrete all the way up?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarn View Post
^^ I was wondering the same thing. The Time Warner Center has a concrete base and then steel frame towers, its possible that this will be built in the same fashion.
This is going to be concrete all the way up, because Related didn't want to have to wait for steel to be fabricated, which has a lead time of several months after the plans were finalized.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2013, 2:19 AM

Cool pictures from the forist j-biz at SSC. they are alredy putting the formwork plus the rebar for the outer columns at the other side of the Highline!

Sin título por jglover1028, en Flickr

Old Posted Nov 23, 2013, 9:08 PM

This is moving along nicely! Is there any word on where the north tower is along in this process?

Old Posted Nov 25, 2013, 3:07 AM

Will this have two lobbies? The reason I am asking is the height of the floor coming in off the high-line is also very tall in height.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2013, 5:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Design-mind View Post
Will this have two lobbies? The reason I am asking is the height of the floor coming in off the high-line is also very tall in height.

That's a good question. I always assumed the lobby off the High Line, which is also the overbuild platform elevation, IS the main lobby. I never considered coming off 10th Ave...

The closest subway stop will be the #7 extension on 33rd & 11th Ave/Hudson Blvd and those subway commuters would probably just walk across the overbuild platform/Hudson Blvd-plaza to the upper lobby.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2013, 2:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkristof View Post
That's a good question. I always assumed the lobby off the High Line, which is also the overbuild platform elevation, IS the main lobby. I never considered coming off 10th Ave...

The closest subway stop will be the #7 extension on 33rd & 11th Ave/Hudson Blvd and those subway commuters would probably just walk across the overbuild platform/Hudson Blvd-plaza to the upper lobby.
There will still be a ton of people coming east from Penn Station. Related has this to say about that:

Quote:
A dramatic and elegant lobby provides connections to the building from 10th Avenue on the east and the new Hudson Yards High Line connection on the west. Visitors arriving from 10th Avenue will enter a light-filled double height space, leading them up to stone-clad reception desks in the upper lobby.
This is the entrance from the corner of 30th and 10th, full of light.

And this is the "stone-clad" upper lobby.

This is a view along 30th st, looking north. You can sort of make out the 10th ave entrance lobby on the right-hand side of the render. The rest of the ground floor will be occupied by a new Fairway.

By the way, the official HY website has been redone a bit. They are now referring to the south tower as 10 Hudson Yards. The north tower has been similarly named 30 Hudson Yards.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2013, 6:05 PM

Is anybody else surprised at how shallow the anchors were for those huge outer columns? I don't remember they dug very deep for those.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2013, 6:08 PM

It's my understanding that those columns aren't supporting much weight, if any. I think they're more for show.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2013, 9:46 AM
Walk taker

-

In addition to building construction, they've also started doing extensive cobblestone-laying for the park at the North end. I didn't manage to snap a photo, though.

My Flickr

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive