HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jun 15, 2018, 3:34 PM

Also noticed there is new leasing signs advertising "urban retail" coming soon for the Papago Plaza, so it looks like maybe the redevelopment is eminent.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2018, 3:47 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by azsunsurfer View Post
Also noticed there is new leasing signs advertising "urban retail" coming soon for the Papago Plaza, so it looks like maybe the redevelopment is eminent.
http://www.fox10phoenix.com/news/ari...rom-e-commerce

Old Posted Jun 21, 2018, 7:48 PM

Nationwide Insurance project could bring development to 1,000 acres in Scottsdale

Nice project for Desert Ridge area but bummer couldn't be closer to the PHX core.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...ale/692690002/
Quote:
Nationwide hopes to build 115-foot, or roughly 10-story, buildings along the freeway, which is 31 feet higher than Scottsdale's standard. The height of buildings would drop as the development moves north toward Legacy Boulevard, and nearer the Grayhawk neighborhood. Along with about 1 million square feetof office space, the development calls for two 78 to 130-room hotels, 50,000 to 200,000 square feet of retail space and 1,200 to 1,600 residential units, according to the city.

City documents show the project would be built in three 5-year phases:

Phase 1: 460,000 square feet of office space for regional headquarters
Phase 2: A hotel and the development of 207,000 to 320,000 square feet of office space and 25,000 square feet of retail space by year 10
Phase 3: Another hotel and 207,000 to 320,000 square-feet of office space.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2018, 7:50 PM

Old Posted Jun 21, 2018, 8:49 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by airomero83 View Post
Nice project for Desert Ridge area but bummer couldn't be closer to the PHX core.

Ugh. Some of the local Scottsdale residents trying to brew a fight over 10 story office buildings. It amazes me how the Phoenix Metro community still thinks 10 stories is "tall" in a day and age when new 1,000' + towers are commonplace all over the world even in smaller cities. Who cares if it this project would bring/keep 5,500 jobs in the area...10 floors is too tall for Scottsdale!

Nationwide, if you read this, here's a solution. The City of Phoenix is already building one office building on Block 23 and plans are to build another tower just one block over on the Colliers pad. Contact the City of Phoenix and form a new plan to move to Downtown. Block 23 can be expanded for additional height up to somewhere near 400' and I'm sure office space could be added to the Colliers/Hines development if someone where to sign-up for the additional space. If this is not a good fit, there are plenty of other vacant spots still left all over Downtown and Midtown for your develop needs including even Chase Tower in the near future! Just bring it to Downtown Phoenix! Problem solved! No residential fighting over land or height or traffic. And the Scottsdale nimby's get to keep their view of the 101! You guys could even have your own personal grocery story at ground level. Just bring it to Downtown!

OK, my rant's done. Sorry, the whole South LTR debacle still has me riled up, lol. Seriously, why is developments like this so hard to get to Downtown??

Old Posted Jun 21, 2018, 9:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieFoos View Post
Ugh. Some of the local Scottsdale residents trying to brew a fight over 10 story office buildings. It amazes me how the Phoenix Metro community still thinks 10 stories is "tall" in a day and age when new 1,000' + towers are commonplace all over the world even in smaller cities. Who cares if it this project would bring/keep 5,500 jobs in the area...10 floors is too tall for Scottsdale!

Nationwide, if you read this, here's a solution. The City of Phoenix is already building one office building on Block 23 and plans are to build another tower just one block over on the Colliers pad. Contact the City of Phoenix and form a new plan to move to Downtown. Block 23 can be expanded for additional height up to somewhere near 400' and I'm sure office space could be added to the Colliers/Hines development if someone where to sign-up for the additional space. If this is not a good fit, there are plenty of other vacant spots still left all over Downtown and Midtown for your develop needs including even Chase Tower in the near future! Just bring it to Downtown Phoenix! Problem solved! No residential fighting over land or height or traffic. And the Scottsdale nimby's get to keep their view of the 101! You guys could even have your own personal grocery story at ground level. Just bring it to Downtown!

OK, my rant's done. Sorry, the whole South LTR debacle still has me riled up, lol. Seriously, why is developments like this so hard to get to Downtown??
I’ve been saying that it’s a massive failing of the city to not attract buisness downtown, they’ve been great at small buisness and apartment growth but the city is failing completely with bigger companies.

And downtown isn’t even expensive compared to other cities suburban office leases.

Deloitt, State Farm, the lost chase jobs somehow, Oscar health, adp, freedom financial etc etc.

Decent pay financial servic jobs going to Tempe and Gilbert

Old Posted Jun 22, 2018, 2:31 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieFoos View Post

Good rant. I welcome this kind of NIMBYism in Scottsdale and north Phoenix if it sends more businesses to central locations.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2018, 2:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
Good rant. I welcome this kind of NIMBYism in Scottsdale and north Phoenix if it sends more businesses to central locations.
These companies are choosing to locate closer to where their current/ prospective employees live.

Last edited by azsunsurfer; Jun 22, 2018 at 4:02 PM.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2018, 3:43 PM

Another car dealership on McDowell is becoming an apartment development. It has a cool midcentury modern look. It's being dubbed "The McDowell" and is located on the western edge near Papago across the street from where that other large mixed use project was approved. No retail but it has "flex office" space proposed fronting McDowell.

http://eservices.scottsdaleaz.gov/pl...12_ZN_2018.pdf

Old Posted Jun 22, 2018, 3:58 PM

Quote:
These companies are choosing to locate closer to where their current/ prospect employees live.
I disagree completely, To the north and Northeast of downtown are the highest wealth zip codes in the state.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2018, 4:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
I disagree completely, To the north and Northeast of downtown are the highest wealth zip codes in the state.
Yes and maybe some of the bosses live there but locating along the 202/101 they have accessibility to the bulk of their educated workforce that encompass the majority of their operations population.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2018, 4:20 PM

http://eservices.scottsdaleaz.gov/pl...13_ZN_2018.pdf

Massive redevelopment proposed for of the area around the Museum of the West.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2018, 4:47 PM

Quote:

good, I think old town has really allowed itself to be outshined by Phoenix and Tempe in recent years.

They were so used to Scottsdale being the only entertainment center in the city that they didn't even notice as they've been left behind.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2018, 12:39 AM

Quote:

Holy hell is that overdue. Great news for the Old Town area.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2018, 7:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airomero83 View Post

http://azbex.com/nationwide-insuranc...to-scottsdale/

AZBEX has their take on the Nationwide deal. Nothing too new here but a testament to the growth of the 101/ 202 corridors.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2018, 7:54 PM
Modulator

And here we go...

...and the NIMBY's of Scottsdale are trying to stop "over-development" of the Kierland area. My favorite paragraph of the article:
Quote:
Allowing these proposals to proceed would begin to transform the award-winning master-planned community into another “downtown Phoenix” with overcrowded spaces dominated by looming towers.
Gee, I had no idea that Downtown Phoenix was overcrowded with dominating looming towers. This guy must not get out much. We are a long way from there. Sigh

Quote:
The Kierland neighborhood is envied for its luxury, walkability, entertainment and retail offerings set in an environment that celebrates open landscapes and the skies of Arizona. It is unique among neighborhoods in Phoenix.

Unfortunately, the Kierland neighborhood is threatened by rezoning development proposals that would irrevocably compromise and diminish the character, personality and livability of the area.

As chairman of the Kierland Community Alliance, a neighborhood organization fighting to preserve the quality of life for our Kierland-area residents, I am deeply concerned with the negative consequences of these misguided development proposals on our community. These consequences include excessive development density, increased and disruptive traffic patterns on Scottsdale Road and 71st Street, and pressure on infrastructure, parking and public safety.

Allowing these proposals to proceed would begin to transform the award-winning master-planned community into another “downtown Phoenix” with overcrowded spaces dominated by looming towers.

The goals of the alliance are to preserve the character, values and attractiveness of the common areas and residential parcels in Kierland by promoting development standards and guidelines that protect our open space, population and traffic densities and patterns, and the unique “livable” character of the neighborhood. We represent a collaborative effort by hundreds of Kierland residents focused on protecting our neighborhood’s character and quality of life by working with policy makers and planning authorities to develop healthy, sensible standards for future development.

Of immediate concern is a rezoning proposal for the approximately 2-acre La Maison parcel. It would transform a commercial center with a current 30-foot height restriction on Scottsdale Road to a planned-unit development, or PUD, and propose a 120- to 196-foot building with significant density. In addition to its density, which is nearly twice of any other proposal in the area, it has reduced setbacks and limited open space. It includes a hotel and residential development, unspecified retail and only a single entrance/exit from Scottsdale Road.

The challenges it creates in development density, pressure on infrastructure traffic flows and overall community aesthetics are significant and deleterious.

Of equal or greater concern is the dangerous precedent approval of this project would set. There are other similar proposals brewing; namely the Acoma Court project and the Paragon redevelopment. Both projects will burden the neighborhood with more high-rises, more invasions of privacy of neighboring homes, increased traffic and parking challenges, and more infrastructure demands.

The Paradise Valley Village Planning Committee will vote on the La Maison project on July 9. Their decision will change or preserve the nature of the Kierland community and its character for decades to come. KCA encourages residents to attend this village hearing and to sign our petition. Let’s communicate to our elected leaders our desire for the right development plan to preserve the Kierland area.
https://webcache.googleusercontent.c...&ct=clnk&gl=us

Old Posted Jul 6, 2018, 11:23 PM

People with "height" issues should move to Tucson. End of story.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2018, 11:27 PM

I feel for them, if they moved out there at a time when it was very suburban, I think most people did not foresee the area becoming as high density as it already is.

They're building five story condos right now as part of Silverleaf, I know plenty of people who are outraged and I think they are justified.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2018, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
I feel for them, if they moved out there at a time when it was very suburban, I think most people did not foresee the area becoming as high density as it already is.

They're building five story condos right now as part of Silverleaf, I know plenty of people who are outraged and I think they are justified.
Silverleaf I can justify, Kierland I cannot.

Kierland isn't acre lots and hasn't had unobstructed views for 50 years. These are people with the means to sell their home in a good market (if they're that miserable), but choose to spend their days complaining. It's becoming a fun area that's growing organically; I'm not surprised that a small group can't adapt.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2018, 1:03 AM

I looked at houses there in the nineties, never imagined it becoming what it has become. Any plans from back then were ambitious at the very least. Now here we are 20 years later with people being surrounded by city.

If you are an original homeowner I get your frustration. Anyone who bought in the past 10 years you have no argument.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest