HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 11:52 PM

Plot twist: big money always takes a stand.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2019, 7:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
Live Nation at Zidell Yards DAR #1 Drawings [88 MB] and Memo.
Summary Memo.

https://bsky.app/profile/maccoinnich.bsky.social

Old Posted Nov 7, 2019, 7:40 PM

The old La Grande Industrial building at the corner of SW Moody/Abernathy was demolished about two weeks ago and some kind of site prep is currently underway.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2020, 3:44 AM

Southwaterfront Block 40.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2021, 8:32 PM

Quote:
New socially distanced waterfront venue at Zidell Yards will host Waterfront Blues Fest, Portland Pride
Updated 11:12 AM; Today 10:40 AM
By Jamie Hale | The Oregonian/OregonLive

As an uncertain summer approaches for big festivals around Oregon, a new venue in downtown Portland is stepping in to host a few of the city’s most-popular events.

The Lot at Zidell Yards, a new socially distanced events venue on Portland’s south waterfront, will host the Waterfront Blues Festival, Portland Pride and other events this spring and summer, it announced Tuesday.

With social gathering restrictions still in place, the venue said it would initially be able to host up to 270 people, isolated into socially distanced seating pods. Attendees will be allowed in and out in phases to avoid crowding, and will be required to wear face masks outside of their pods.
...(continues)

Old Posted Apr 6, 2021, 11:19 PM
BANNED

Wow reading the early pages of this thread it’s crazy how popular this development was. Posters even from other cities filled it. Crazy to imagine this city ever partaking in a massive project like this again. So visionary was Portland at the time. 20-30 story proposals and approval where so often you couldn’t even keep up..

I know we have the post office development as a potential to rival this but I highly doubt it the way this city moves. Crazy what happened..

Old Posted Apr 7, 2021, 3:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorbinWarrick View Post
Wow reading the early pages of this thread it’s crazy how popular this development was. Posters even from other cities filled it. Crazy to imagine this city ever partaking in a massive project like this again. So visionary was Portland at the time. 20-30 story proposals and approval where so often you couldn’t even keep up..

I know we have the post office development as a potential to rival this but I highly doubt it the way this city moves. Crazy what happened..
While I was very disappointed the Zidell Yards plan didn't move forward, I am still holding out hope, but it may take some time. Portland still remains "affordable" (however you define that) compared to Seattle, SF, LA and SD on the west, and the demand for waterfront property in a west coast metro market will always be there IMO. OHSU has long terms plans for the their sites, and SOWA blocks 41-44 are moving ahead at the moment. It's unfortunate we might not see the creativity of a "Gantry-like" 20-story, but sometimes, it just comes down to the stars aligning. Riverfront property like this, amongst other already-developed towers, infrastructure, MAX, Tillikum bridge, etc., won't sit too long undeveloped. That said, Portland is a wild-card with these things, and I would be devastated if the Zidell lots were filled with meh-5-story-infills. We'll see, but it's definitely a lynchpin in the SOWA plan as a connector, so hopefully that adds remains a priority.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2021, 6:48 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouvScott View Post
Speaking of going back to the beginning of the page, this one really shows how far SoWa has come. Also, remember Photobucket?

Old Posted Apr 7, 2021, 8:21 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
Speaking of going back to the beginning of the page, this one really shows how far SoWa has come. Also, remember Photobucket?
Crazy isn’t it? It’s much more developed now of course. But miss those times so many proposals and approvals. Even one of those approvals now would be breaking news these days

Old Posted Nov 6, 2021, 1:24 AM

The Dylan (Block 40)

The Dylan (block 40) is nearly complete. I believe residents will be moving in this month(?). Apartments are listed as currently available on their website.

Apartments are pricey but have pretty solid floor plans compared to other recent construction I've seen.

Link to view floorplans: https://livedylanpdx.com/floorplans/

Old Posted Nov 19, 2021, 6:03 PM

Quote:
Dumpling house Dough Zone plans Portland riverfront opening in former Lucier space

A beloved Seattle dumpling franchise is opening shop in a downtown Portland space best known for the high-end restaurant that flamed out there more than a decade ago.

Dough Zone Dumpling House has been making a name for itself in the Seattle area since 2014, when owners Jason and Nancy Zhai opened their first location in Bellevue before expanding to eight locations around the city, with two more in California’s Silicon Valley.
Read more on OregonLive...

Old Posted Mar 12, 2022, 3:36 PM

Alamo Manhattan Phase 2

According to their website, they are shooting to start phase two of the Alamo Manhattan blocks in Q3 of 2023. This includes the second 23-story building and two more mid-rises - one 6 and the other 5 stories.

http://www.alamomanhattan.com/portfolio/block-44

http://www.alamomanhattan.com/portfolio/block-45

Old Posted Oct 16, 2022, 11:53 PM

A couple neighborhood pics taken yesterday 10/15

Old Posted Oct 17, 2022, 2:56 PM

What great pictures - thank you for the nice start to the week!

Old Posted Oct 17, 2022, 9:12 PM

Great pics!!

Old Posted Oct 18, 2022, 1:45 PM

Such a cool nook of the city. The rare times I'm driving north on I-5, I LOVE that view as S. Waterfront opens up right in front of you.

Are there many more parcels of land with development potential? Besides the active proposals, that is.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2022, 4:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyPDX View Post
Such a cool nook of the city. The rare times I'm driving north on I-5, I LOVE that view as S. Waterfront opens up right in front of you.

Are there many more parcels of land with development potential? Besides the active proposals, that is.
Yep, a lot actually including the stalled Zidell Yards. I didn't have time to walk the entire neighborhood, just the established parts.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2022, 4:47 PM

The central part of South Waterfront still has a lot of vacant / undeveloped parcels, however a lot of them are owned by OHSU.

The zoning that allows for high rises extends south down to Hamilton Court. In the long term, I'd expect to see the Old Spaghetti Factory, the Tesla showroom, etc redevelop.

https://bsky.app/profile/maccoinnich.bsky.social

Old Posted Oct 18, 2022, 5:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
The central part of South Waterfront still has a lot of vacant / undeveloped parcels, however a lot of them are owned by OHSU.

The zoning that allows for high rises extends south down to Hamilton Court. In the long term, I'd expect to see the Old Spaghetti Factory, the Tesla showroom, etc redevelop.
Oh damn, just checked Portland maps, such weird ownership of the blocks, especially off Moody.

Starting from the south going north along the western edge of Moody:

-2 blocks from Bancroft to Thomas is owned by Pascuzzi Investments(?)

-HECC owns the block between Thomas and Abernethy

-Alamo Manhattan has a completed development on the next block.

-Fava LLC owns the block between Lane and Gaines

-OHSU owns 3 blocks between Gaines and Whitaker

-OHSU also owns the mega blocks north of Curry and east of River Parkway.

-Zidell then owns around 6 to 8 blocks from OHSU to the Ross Island.

And that's just what's available south of the Ross Island.

With OHSU focusing future development on the Schnitzer campus, are they going to divest of some of their property in the South Waterfront proper? Especially the mega blocks fronting the Willamette? I remember years ago a big hotel with two towers was proposed for one of those blocks.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2022, 6:35 PM

With all the development at Riverplace (new tower in addition to the recent infill in that area), ohsu buildings, etc, it seems Zidell lots are really the last large pieces separating the two major areas (riverplace/S waterfront). Not they will ever be highly contiguous areas given the landscape, but it will be really cool to see that area all built up.

That being said, are there any recent rumors on Zidell?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland