HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Dec 27, 2019, 6:57 PM

I showed that to one of the kids in my office and he promptly laughed at me.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2019, 8:16 PM

Annual growthgasm discussion as the 2019 census population estimates by state were released today:

https://www.census.gov/newsroom/pres...st-nation.html

AZ is 3rd in both percentage and numerical growth at 1.7% and 120,693 over the 2018 estimates. That's roughly consistent with the 2018 estimate, which was 122,770. Assuming roughly similar distribution, we can probably expect Maricopa County to be at or near the top of counties for population growth.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2020, 7:40 PM
Modulator

This kinda continues from muertecaza's post above. Not sure if many here care much about politics, but since this pertains to population growth, posting anyway. Phoenix may be up for another seat in the house due to our population growth.

https://www.abc15.com/news/region-ph...re-could-it-go

Old Posted Jan 7, 2020, 8:58 PM

Just had to run from Gilbert to Maryvale, used the 202. Enjoyable right now with very little traffic - one takeaway is that freeway is going to chew up a lot of windshields. Lots of untarped loads and big trucks.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2020, 9:13 AM
Skyriser

I noticed that in Google Maps you have to be in 2D mode to see the updated aerial photography of Phoenix. The default 3D mode is incredibly dated.

The low contrasts in the updated photography ironically highlight the asphalt problem in Phoenix. The asphalt is black as can be and everywhere and the white roofs of new developments really shine.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2020, 7:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
I noticed that in Google Maps you have to be in 2D mode to see the updated aerial photography of Phoenix. The default 3D mode is incredibly dated.

The low contrasts in the updated photography ironically highlight the asphalt problem in Phoenix. The asphalt is black as can be and everywhere and the white roofs of new developments really shine.
For whatever reason the 3d maps hasnt been updated in years.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2020, 11:00 PM

I looked at my house. 2D and 3D is the exact same image. Must be dependent on location.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2020, 3:42 PM
Modulator

Article on AZ Central regarding upcoming bars/restaurants coming to RoRo. I'd post the full article, but feeling a little lazy today. Open in incognito view if you have trouble reading the article.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/ente...on/2796504001/

Edit: I meant to post this on the dining thread. Mods, can be moved if needed.

Last edited by CrestedSaguaro; Jan 21, 2020 at 4:58 PM.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2020, 4:40 PM

Yet the one that still isn't talked about is Andrew Mirtich's bar in the old Paulina Miller Gallery building, he's been working on that location for well over a year already. Perhaps no one has confidence it will come to fruition.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2020, 4:25 PM
Modulator

Consultant recommends Phoenix to keep the South Building and build an adjacent hotel. Posting here as it's not really development related...yet.

Quote:
Consultant Says Downtown Phoenix Needs Hotel And District

By Christina Estes

A market study involving the Phoenix Convention Center points out challenges and opportunities as the city considers what to do with the South Building.

The South Building covers more than 9 acres right across from Chase Field. It’s the center’s oldest building and used mostly for local and smaller events. Developers have approached Phoenix about buying the city-owned property but an outside consultant told the economic development subcommittee that’s not a good move right now.

“Our recommendation is you can’t lose that interior space because that’s the only place you’d have to ever expand your convention center if you ever wanted to,” said John Kaatz with Convention Sports & Leisure International.

He said convention planners want one main space, not areas spread out for blocks.

In the short term, he suggests Phoenix work to get a hotel with 800 to 1,200 rooms that’s attached to or adjacent to the convention center. Based on his research, Kaatz said Phoenix falls short in hotel inventory within one-half mile of the center. Phoenix has 3,838 rooms, compared to the median of 7,800, which included Phoenix and 12 other markets.

He noted Phoenix has 125 dining places within a half-mile from the center which is the median number for the group and pointed out what’s lacking: a brand for the area similar to San Diego’s Gaslamp Quarter, Nashville’s Music City Center and Seattle’s Pike Street.

“The area when you walk around the convention center, you’re not in a district,” he said. “It doesn’t scream this is an entertainment zone that we can go to market with and beat, in some cases, the Austins, or the Nashvilles, or the San Diegos or the San Antonios.”

In addition to developing a district, he suggested the center maximize its use of outdoor space by adding areas for learning and make technological improvements to welcome augmented virtual reality opportunities.

“Imagine a medical company’s got a booth on the floor rather than moving in this million dollar piece of equipment, they have to go to special areas which, again, is reinventing some of your existing space,” Kaatz said. “Now I’m walking through their factory in Frankfurt and I’m literally looking at the equipment and they don’t have to bring it all over here.”

He said a recent survey showed 19% of planners used augmented reality at events in the past and 54% plan to use it in the future.
Source: https://kjzz.org/content/1411096/con...l-and-district

Old Posted Jan 27, 2020, 5:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieFoos View Post
Consultant recommends Phoenix to keep the South Building and build an adjacent hotel. Posting here as it's not really development related...yet.

Source: https://kjzz.org/content/1411096/con...l-and-district
Interesting...let's see what the city decides to do. I'm all for building another massive hotel as well...hopefully it looks just as good as the Hilton Signa proposed in Indy. Maybe an opportunity here for Sarver to get off his ass and build the W like many of us are hoping for us as well.

Link to PDF of the presentation.
https://kjzz.org/sites/all/libraries...%2520Study.pdf

Old Posted Jan 27, 2020, 6:01 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post
Interesting...let's see what the city decides to do. I'm all for building another massive hotel as well...hopefully it looks just as good as the Hilton Signa proposed in Indy. Maybe an opportunity here for Sarver to get off his ass and build the W like many of us are hoping for us as well.

I'm wondering how the city can get the South building connected to the rest of the convention center. Too my knowledge, all the construction along Washington currently is to build a permanent shoring wall. Apparently the original shoring was "temporary" in order to be able to build a possible underground walkway to the South building at some point. With permanent shoring, this will no longer be possible. Maybe the city should have waited on this until the consultant report was completed?

Old Posted Jan 27, 2020, 6:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post

Agree that a public-private partnership would be best. Tear down the current center and build more space attached to two hotels. You see this a lot with Marriott and Hilton. Often both connected on either end of the space and most business travelers have a preference. They could wait to rebuild the convention space until needed and just build the hotels for now.

Seems like they're taking some of the recommendations like putting the Huss brewery in the building to make more of a "district."

Old Posted Jan 27, 2020, 6:15 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXFlyer11 View Post
Agree that a public-private partnership would be best. Tear down the current center and build more space attached to two hotels. You see this a lot with Marriott and Hilton. Often both connected on either end of the space and most business travelers have a preference. They could wait to rebuild the convention space until needed and just build the hotels for now.

Seems like they're taking some of the recommendations like putting the Huss brewery in the building to make more of a "district."
This. I'm not sure what Phoenix plans to do, but building a new modern building with adjacent hotels would be best. Keeping the old building I think hurts Phoenix. If it were 2 levels, they could better connect it to the North building with an over street walkway. Also, I hope they don't just stop with Huss. Maybe bringing in the Hines proposed idea of making more of an entertainment district along the convention center on 3rd St. can be a possibility again?

Old Posted Jan 27, 2020, 6:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieFoos View Post
I'm wondering how the city can get the South building connected to the rest of the convention center. Too my knowledge, all the construction along Washington currently is to build a permanent shoring wall. Apparently the original shoring was "temporary" in order to be able to build a possible underground walkway to the South building at some point. With permanent shoring, this will no longer be possible. Maybe the city should have waited on this until the consultant report was completed?
It was my understanding that a tunnel between buildings isn't possible anymore because of the light rail tracks and other logistical factors now.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2020, 6:45 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stutteringpunk View Post
It was my understanding that a tunnel between buildings isn't possible anymore because of the light rail tracks and other logistical factors now.
Ah. That may be true. Didn't take into account the LRT tracks. That makes sense.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2020, 6:58 PM

Hasn't this branding been tried several times...."Copper Square" "Legends Entertainment District" "DT PHX"......

Old Posted Jan 27, 2020, 7:44 PM
Skyriser

That Copper Square crap was for the whole downtown. Legends is technically what the consultant says Phoenix needs, plus Roosevelt Row, or whatever's left of it, is there too.

The problem with this consultant is that you can't just manufacture these kinds of neighborhoods. They typically organically grow on their own without some top-down design.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2020, 7:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
That Copper Square crap was for the whole downtown. Legends is technically what the consultant says Phoenix needs, plus Roosevelt Row, or whatever's left of it, is there too.

The problem with this consultant is that you can't just manufacture these kinds of neighborhoods. They typically organically grow on their own without some top-down design.
I agree to a certain extent, but I also think some sort of cohesive "theming" or focus could go a long way too. I understand it's a different beast entirely, but the aesthetic Old Town Gilbert has created, with all the neon and brickwork, has really helped set that part of the valley apart and it honestly feels like one of the busiest places in town on any given night. Again, I understand it isn't near as big as a traditional downtown, but I also think it serves as one for a lot of people in the East Valley.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2020, 7:58 PM

You can manufacture neighborhoods but it's hard. Use OKC's Bricktown as an example of how to do it properly.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest