HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Apr 14, 2010, 5:03 PM
I like this much better

What blows my mind (and, granted, this is from reading the comments on the posts website, stupid, yup, I know) is how many people seem to be of the opinion that it is RTD mismanagement (ok, that one dude on the board is a crook...) or lack of foresight (cause, you know, everyone saw the recession coming) which led to the budget gap (one which, frankly, isn't THAT much...)

Old Posted Apr 14, 2010, 5:44 PM
Closed account

There will never be anything a government can do to make those kinds of posters happy. Except fighting a war, the military is without flaw and a model of perfection to the same people who think our government cant be trusted to do ANYTHING at all.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2010, 5:47 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

^And 99% of those posters never have had anything to do with the military asides from getting hard-on's watching the military channel.

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Old Posted Apr 14, 2010, 5:49 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by wong21fr View Post
^And 99% of those posters never have had anything to do with the military asides from getting hard-on's watching the military channel.
Truly...

Old Posted Apr 14, 2010, 10:03 PM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Meat View Post
What blows my mind (and, granted, this is from reading the comments on the posts website, stupid, yup, I know) is how many people seem to be of the opinion that it is RTD mismanagement (ok, that one dude on the board is a crook...) or lack of foresight (cause, you know, everyone saw the recession coming) which led to the budget gap (one which, frankly, isn't THAT much...)
+1

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted Apr 16, 2010, 4:34 PM

i've been lurking since i moved to denver from nyc about a year ago. i thought you all might enjoy this picture I took from the lakewood gulch trail of the future light rail bed leaving denver and a cool stormy skyline in the background.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2010, 5:42 PM

I was looking at the planned west corridor map where the rail turns west from auroria, then crosses i-25, the platte, then heads into sun valley...but noticed there was no bridge planned to span i-25. Anyone know what rtd has planned for that? I was looking at i-25 where the west corridor line is planned to cross, and it doesn't seem they can go under. I would assume they would have to cross over via a flyover.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2010, 6:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
I was looking at the planned west corridor map where the rail turns west from auroria, then crosses i-25, the platte, then heads into sun valley...but noticed there was no bridge planned to span i-25. Anyone know what rtd has planned for that? I was looking at i-25 where the west corridor line is planned to cross, and it doesn't seem they can go under. I would assume they would have to cross over via a flyover.
It will flyover the CML track lines and then follow just north of 13th Ave. under I-25. If you look at google maps you will see that the highway is elevated in this area.

http://www.rtd-fastracks.com/media/u..._Map_WCpdf.pdf

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=3...07457&t=h&z=17
"The engineer is the key figure in the material progress of the world. It is his engineering that makes a reality of the potential value of science by translating scientific knowledge into tools, resources, energy and labor to bring them into the service of man. To make contributions of this kind the engineer requires the imagination to visualize the need of society and to appreciate what is possible as well as the technological and broad social age understanding to bring his vision to reality."

Old Posted Apr 16, 2010, 6:52 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmintz View Post
i've been lurking since i moved to denver from nyc about a year ago. i thought you all might enjoy this picture I took from the lakewood gulch trail of the future light rail bed leaving denver and a cool stormy skyline in the background.

I love this picture... I think it looks better now than it will when it's finished.. the contrast between downtown, the clouds and the construction is just amazing.. thanks for sharing it.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2010, 7:02 PM

Quote:
It will flyover the CML track lines and then follow just north of 13th Ave. under I-25. If you look at google maps you will see that the highway is elevated in this area.
Yup and heres a link with a picture of the present I-25 bridge where it will pass under (theres also a short BNSF freight spur that serves some businesses ajacent to the Xcel power plant, both the light rail and freight spur pass under the same bridge):http://www.inside-lane.com/2010/04/1...ss-slide-show/

Btw thats an awesome photo dmintz

Scott

Last edited by CastleScott; Apr 16, 2010 at 7:12 PM.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2010, 10:01 PM
You win again, gravity!

Love the photo^^^^
The Westsiders are going to have an awesome view of the city when they ride the lightrail into town.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2010, 4:24 PM

The light rail bridge rollout at 6th and Simms is cancelled tomorrow due to the weather. It'll occur next weekend (same time, same closures) given good weather.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2010, 7:16 PM
Robotic Construction

Also I noticed Inside Lane is shutting down, unless a third party takes over it's operation. Kevin Flynn is taking a post with FasTracks Eagle P3 project. Maybe DenverInfill.com/blog and Inside Lane could join forces?

Old Posted Apr 25, 2010, 12:31 PM

I was in Golden Saturday and grabbed some shots of the West Corridor. Looks to be progressing nicely.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2010, 2:45 PM
Mile High Metropolis

That bridge will look really nice

Old Posted Apr 26, 2010, 3:45 AM

That one curved flyover is verrry sexy! Thanks for the pictures!

" There is only one duty, only one safe course, and that is to try to be right and not fear to do or say what you believe." - Winston Churchill

Old Posted Apr 26, 2010, 5:14 PM

FYI guys - RTD will be holding a public meeting for the two competing Public-Private Partnership teams (Denver Transit Partners and Mountain-Air Transit Partners) to present their proposals on May 18 at the Paramount Theatre. The presentations will start at 1 and at 3 and will last an hour and 45 minutes each.

Mountain-Air Transit Partners - http://mountain-airconstructors.com/

Denver Transit Partners - http://denvertransitpartners.com/

Old Posted Apr 26, 2010, 5:58 PM

Do you have a link to this official announcement from RTD?
"The engineer is the key figure in the material progress of the world. It is his engineering that makes a reality of the potential value of science by translating scientific knowledge into tools, resources, energy and labor to bring them into the service of man. To make contributions of this kind the engineer requires the imagination to visualize the need of society and to appreciate what is possible as well as the technological and broad social age understanding to bring his vision to reality."

Old Posted May 6, 2010, 3:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngiNerd View Post
Do you have a link to this official announcement from RTD?
Its on the FasTracks website. www.rtd-fastracks.com

Old Posted Jun 16, 2010, 3:48 AM

RTD selects consortium to build FasTracks to DIA

By Jeffrey Leib
The Denver Post

Posted: 06/15/2010 09:11:37 PM MDT
Updated: 06/15/2010 09:32:54 PM MDT

The RTD board of directors tonight selected a private consortium led by the international engineering and construction firm Fluor Enterprises Inc., Australia's Macquarie Capital Group and transit contractor Balfour Beatty Rail Inc. to build and operate a $2 billion portion of FasTracks, including the train to Denver International Airport.

The vote was 13-0 in favor of the group. Support from at least two-thirds of RTD's 15-member board was needed to select a winning team.

The public-private partnership, or PPP, is expected to contribute as much as $900 million in financing to the project and the group has pledged to open its FasTracks segments in advance of RTD's requirement of the end of 2016. The consortium said it should be able to open the DIA line in January 2016.

The consortium joined together as Denver Transit Partners to submit its winning bid.

The winning team will operate and maintain the FasTracks train lines for 40 years following the start of passenger service.

Work on the 23-mile rail line from Denver Union Station to DIA could start this summer as part of the PPP's first phase, said Brian Middleton, the Regional Transportation District's manager for the venture. "Our objective is to get the project moving, create jobs and kickstart the economy," Middleton said.

Final financial details of the deal are expected to close by Aug. 30. Construction of the 11.2-mile Gold Line from Union Station to Arvada and Wheat Ridge is to begin as part of a second phase of the public-private partnership if RTD secures $1 billion from the Federal Transit Administration for the project. That line could open by July 2016.

RTD officials have said they expect to get approval for the federal grant next year. A short segment of the Northwest train line, to Westminster, will be part of the second phase as well. The segment could open in March 2016.

RTD directors selected Denver Transit Partners over a rival team, called Mountain-Air Transit Partners, that was led by railcar and rail systems company Siemens, transit operator Veolia Transportation and the international finance company HSBC.

"It's a landmark project in the infrastructure market and in transit in particular," said David Parker, executive director of Fluor's infrastructure business development division.

The winning team's proposal could save RTD $300 million, said RTD general manager Phil Washington.

Other companies on the winning Denver Transit team include Ames Construction, transit operator Alternate Concepts Inc. and railcar supplier Hyundai Rotem USA.

Mountain-Air Transit Partners, which was not selected as the PPP contractor, will be eligible to receive a $2.5 million stipend from RTD for work it did in preparing a bid on the project, Middleton said.

RTD's board approved the stipend for the losing team as a way to encourage viable proposals and keep the bidding process competitive.

To get the stipend, the consortium must submit evidence of allowable costs up to the $2.5 million, Middleton said.

Because of the extensive work each team did in preparing a bid, meeting that threshold should not be difficult, he said. "My best guess is that each team spent up to $20 million."

The PPP will only construct a portion of RTD's FasTracks transit project.

Other trains that were planned as part of the project are unfunded and may not be built unless Denver-area voters approve a sales tax increase to cover a shortfall totaling a little more than $2 billion.

Unfunded lines include the 18-mile North Metro commuter train from Union Station to Northglenn and Thornton, the 10.5 mile Interstate 225 light-rail line in Aurora, the full extension of the Northwest train from Westminster to Boulder and Longmont, and extensions of existing RTD light-rail lines to Highlands Ranch and Lone Tree.

The entire FasTracks project carries a price tag of about $6.5 billion.

RTD directors are expected to consider going to metro area voters with a request for a FasTracks tax increase either next year or in 2012.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West