HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted May 14, 2008, 3:56 PM

I thought we could make this into an Airport thread. So here's today article about the new hotel.

New Sheraton hotel to open at Halifax Stanfield airport
176-room facility will have parking garage, pedway linked to terminal
By TOM PETERS Business Reporter
Wed. May 14 - 6:37 AM

Construction is underway in front of the terminal building at Stanfield International Airport on Tuesday. (Ted Pritchard / Staff)

There will be a Sheraton hotel at Halifax Stanfield International Airport in early 2010.

Jerry Staples, the Halifax International Airport Authority’s vice-president of marketing and business development, said Tuesday a letter of intent has been signed with New Castle Hotels of Shelton, Conn., and Southwest Properties Ltd. of Halifax, for a 176-room full-service hotel.

The hotel will be built next to the parking garage that is now under construction. It will be connected to the terminal and the garage by pedways.

The new hotel, which will cost in the vicinity of $30 million, will include a fitness centre, swimming pool, restaurants, lounge, conference centre and other amenities.

"For us, this is bringing another dimension of customer service that we have been building at the airport," Mr. Staples said. "We are very excited about that, and it is also making us that more marketable to build the air service business here."

The New Castle / Southwest proposal was one of three.

Mr. Staples said the selection of New Castle / Southwest was based on established criteria, which included a major brand recognized internationally with a worldwide reservation system. Also considered was the design and how it would fit in with the look of the parking garage and terminal building.

"Financial capability, financial offer and their marketing and operation plan were other elements we played careful attention to," Mr. Staples said.

These two companies are already partners on two projects already underway, a 133-room Marriott Residence Inn, which will open June 26 in Moncton, and a 163-room Hampton Inn & Suites, under construction at Dartmouth Crossing. Southwest will design and build the new hotel, and New Castle will manage it.

Mr. Staples said the authority is completing an agreement to lease nearly 10 hectares of land to the developers.

Gordon Laing, president and chief operating officer of Southwest Properties, said Tuesday submitting a proposal for the airport hotel follows the company’s path of the past few years to expand into the hotel industry.

"When the request for proposals for the airport hotel came out, we thought it was an interesting opportunity," he said.

The hotel will cater to all travellers but with the introduction of U.S. customs preclearance at the airport and a dramatic increase in corporate traffic, will likely attract a significant number of business clients.

David Buffam, CEO of New Castle Hotels, says the company believes in the future of Halifax "and we believe the airport will play a very significant role in the growth of this region for a long time to come."

The growing passenger traffic, the growth of existing businesses and the development of new businesses in the area and the connection of the airport arrivals area to the hotel via a pedway were all factors "that let us participate" in the bidding, Mr. Buffam said.

New Castle manages the province’s three resorts — Keltic Lodge, Liscombe Lodge and the Pines Resort — plus the Westin in Halifax. The company is also involved in preliminary work with Southwest for a hotel in St. John’s, Newfoundland and Labrador.

When the new Sheraton is completed, there will be four hotels within the immediate area of the airport. A new Holiday Inn Express next to the Hilton Garden Inn, both operated by Manga Hotels, is nearing completion. There is also the recently refurbished Quality Inn, formerly the Airport Hotel.

This will be the second attempt to build a hotel on airport property. The late Don Keddy of Halifax started a hotel in 1990, but the $25-million project ran into financial problems. Transport Canada had the shell of a hotel demolished in 1996.

( tpeters@herald.ca)

Old Posted May 14, 2008, 4:35 PM
Dartmouth Girl

In addition to the Herald article, here is the press release directly off the Airport Website:

May 13, 2008

Airport Authority Signs Letter of Intent with Hotel Developer and Operator

Halifax, N.S. – Halifax International Airport Authority (HIAA) is pleased to announce that it has signed a letter of intent with New Castle Hotels, LLC and Southwest Properties Limited to design, build and manage a full service Sheraton Hotel at Halifax Stanfield International Airport (HSIA).

“We are delighted to be working with New Castle Hotels, LLC and Southwest Properties Limited to bring a Sheraton Hotel to HSIA, and raise the level of service for our customers,” says Jerry Staples, HIAA Vice President Marketing & Business Development. “Having a 175-room hotel attached to the terminal building with world-class amenities will provide another significant advantage as we market the airport to increase air service for Atlantic Canadians,” adds Staples.

Through its due diligence process, HIAA investigated the financial and market viability of the project and determined that the investment climate and market conditions were favourable to proceed with the hotel development process. “Today’s announcement validates our research and demonstrates confidence in the Halifax marketplace,” says Staples.

“The airport is a growing and exciting place that has become an important economic engine for the region,” says Jim Spatz, Chairman & CEO, Southwest Properties Limited. “Southwest and our partner New Castle Hotels are thrilled to have been chosen to add this significant new component to the airport community,” says Spatz.

Several quality submissions were received in response to HIAA’s request for proposals issued late last year. After a careful and thorough review of all submissions, New Castle Hotels, LLC and Southwest Properties Limited were selected as the successful proponent. HIAA will now work with them over the next several weeks to finalize the details of a land lease, with construction of the hotel taking place throughout 2009 and an anticipated hotel opening in 2010.

Halifax Robert L. Stanfield International Airport is Atlantic Canada’s gateway to the world. It is the region’s principal full-service airport providing passengers and cargo clients with access to markets across the country, the United States and Europe, and the only airport in Atlantic Canada to offer U.S. preclearance, and Canada Customs services on a 24 hour, seven day a week basis. The Airport welcomes almost 3.5 million passengers annually, and is an internationally recognized leader in customer service, having received first place awards in the global Airport Service Quality program for the past five years.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2008, 4:58 PM
Dartmouth Girl

I was out at the airport this morning, they are making a lot of headway in construction of the parking structure, and I believe they were out marking survey information for the beginnings of the hotel???

I was also looking to speak to somebody higher up at the airport about the "official" construction status and some of the other stuff I know some of us are interested in (the facade of the front of the terminal building, the domestic check in area etc etc), but unfortunately I wasn't able to find anyone (it was rather busy!!) However I will be sending an email in just a little bit to them on behalf of myself, all of you guys here on SSP, and Haligonians for Development as well, we'll see what inside info we can get

It seemed as well that they are making really good progress on the road "situation" out there, I think at the pace they are going, the new terminal roads should be done by the end of the summer? (the email I'm sure will give us an answer on that)

Don't forget they have a live cam of the construction site out there, be sure to check it out:

http://www.building-up.ca/Site/Live_...ction_Cam.html

and I guess just as a forewarning to anyone travelling out there, allot a little extra time with the mess that the terminal access roads are in now, parking bla bla bla AND on top of that they've got the 102 torn up all around the airport exits....

Old Posted Jun 19, 2008, 11:33 PM

Airport Virtual Drive

Check out this virtual drive of what the airport will look like when everything is finished including a new uniform terminal facade, parking garage, and hotel. It looks very cool and very big!

http://www.building-up.ca/Site/Virtual_Drive.html

Old Posted Jun 20, 2008, 1:34 AM

Wow thats look nice. The facilites provided with this new terminal will defenitely help us keep 1st place in customer satisfaction for many more years to come.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2008, 4:50 PM

HSIA has recently provided a progress update HERE.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2008, 8:54 PM
You talkin' to me?

Two Parking Facility Precast Columns being replaced
No significant construction delays expected

Halifax, N.S. – Two of the recently-erected precast concrete columns at Halifax Stanfield International Airport’s new 23-hundred space parking facility are being replaced. No significant delays are expected in the opening of the facility early next year.

“Although any delay is unfortunate, ensuring the garage is 100 per cent structurally sound is the most important element of this situation,” says Michael Healy, HIAA Vice President, Infrastructure & Technology.

On Wednesday of this week, construction on this section of the parking facility was halted when two recently-erected precast concrete columns in the structure were overstressed at their base. The columns settled approximately three inches. Yesterday, a structural review of the facility was carried out by the design engineer and engineers from Strescon Ltd., the manufacturer of the precast concrete sections.

“Upon completion of the structural review, it was determined that the damaged columns will be replaced with new ones. Some of the precast pieces – floor sections adjacent to the two columns, for example - will have to be taken down to allow the new columns to be installed,” says Healy. “The process of removing and replacing the precast pieces will take several weeks. Strescon advises that they will be working additional hours and weekends to make up lost time. Work to prepare for the removal of the precast pieces will start on the site today. Strescon will carry out the replacement work at their expense.”

Halifax Robert L. Stanfield International Airport is Atlantic Canada’s gateway to the world. It is the region’s principal full-service airport providing passengers and cargo clients with access to markets across the country, the United States and Europe, and the only airport in Atlantic Canada to offer U.S. preclearance, and Canada Customs services on a 24 hour, seven day a week basis. The Airport welcomes almost 3.5 million passengers annually, and is an internationally recognized leader in customer service, having received first place awards in the global Airport Service Quality program for the past five years.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2008, 4:36 PM
Dartmouth Girl

Little bit of news (couple weeks ago lol) from out the airport way..

Airport Authority Signs Agreement for Multi-Tenant Cargo Facility

Halifax, N.S. – Halifax International Airport Authority (HIAA) announced today that it has signed a lease agreement with Gateway Facilities Inc. to have that company build and manage an approximately 40,000 square foot multi-tenant cargo facility at Halifax Stanfield International Airport (HSIA).

The $12 million joint project will see HIAA develop the site in the Airport’s airside subdivision, bringing it up to grade and building an aircraft apron area.

“This is a major milestone for the Airport Authority and our community,” says Tom Ruth, HIAA President & CEO. “As the hub and gateway of Atlantic Canada and the closest North American continental link to Europe, this facility opens the door for tremendous economic growth for the region’s air cargo industry, as well as other aviation businesses like the one we’re seeing today,” he says.

“Gateway Facilities Inc. looks forward to making a modern cargo facility a reality at Halifax Stanfield International Airport,” says Doug McRae, an investor in Gateway Facilities Inc. “The new facility will better position cargo stakeholders to attract domestic and foreign cargo operators to our community and will allow stakeholders to confidently pursue new import and export business which require temperature management.”

Recently, Transport Canada granted HSIA approval to participate in the international air cargo transshipment program. The program allows air cargo to be moved through Canada for shipment to third countries. For example, cargo could be flown from the United States into Halifax, stored temporarily, and then flown to a European destination. Similarly, international air cargo could also arrive from overseas and then be shipped by rail or road from Halifax to the United States, allowing the Airport to take full advantage of NAFTA opportunities.

“Approval to participate in this transshipment program is certainly welcome, and combined with our new cargo facility, will enable us to produce significant economic benefit,” says Jerry Staples, HIAA Vice President Marketing & Business Development. “We estimate that each additional wide body cargo flight per week will generate nearly $100,000 per year for HIAA and, as we grow, has the potential to create dozens of direct and indirect jobs and millions in additional revenue for the region,” he says.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2008, 11:26 PM

Hey admins (BedfordDJ?), could we rename this thread to something more generic. Maybe along the lines of "Airport Thread" or "Airport Construction"?

Old Posted Oct 3, 2008, 12:08 AM

I am actually not a admin...

"Someone 123" might be able to change it though. He's changed thread titles for me before.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2008, 8:15 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Yep, done.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2009, 3:25 PM

Does anyone know when the Sheraton Hotel is starting construction?

Old Posted Jan 1, 2009, 4:11 PM

No Clue but I was out by the airport last night and the parking garage is coming along nicely now.

Its topped out, some of the exterior glass (?) is on, the entrances are installed and they are working on the main walkway into the airport now.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2009, 5:27 PM

The Sheraton is supposed to start right after the parking structure is complete, followed by a facade facelift on the main terminal.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2009, 8:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedford_DJ View Post
I was out by the airport last night and the parking garage is coming along nicely now.

Its topped out, some of the exterior glass (?) is on, the entrances are installed and they are working on the main walkway into the airport now.
The parking structure was supposed to be finished by Jan. 1 but now they are saying sometime in March. That thing caused a lot of pain for users... hope it's worth it.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2009, 12:11 AM

I'm especially looking forward to the new structure, and yes have borne some of the pain. As a frequent traveler, I've returned from away too many times this time of year only to have to drag my luggage through a snow laden parking lot(often the furthest spot from the entrance!), then digging out my vehicle with my feet and hands(I started bringing a mini-shovel).

The delays are largely due to them having to dismantle the last fifth (+/-) after some of the vertical supports had shattered.

There are a bunch of updated construction photos on their site as well.
http://www.building-up.ca/Site/Photos.html

Old Posted Jan 2, 2009, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoser111 View Post
There are a bunch of updated construction photos on their site as well.
http://www.building-up.ca/Site/Photos.html
Funny thing -- Firefox v.3 won't display them but IE7 does.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2009, 2:17 PM

I was working on this project this summer and at that point they were saying the opening date was suppose to be late January, with the structure being erected by late November or early December. This was before two columns had to be replaced, but since then they have been working tons of overtime hours to catch up. They finished putting pieces up on the 18th, so that is only a few weeks behind the initial schedule of when they wanted to be done lifting pieces. As far as the other work goes with the pedways, paving and site cleanup I'm not sure where they stand with their schedule.

I believe they will start work on the hotel once the garage is open, so it can take all the cars and rentals that are located within the hotels foot print. It is due to open in 2010.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2009, 3:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoser111 View Post
I'm especially looking forward to the new structure, and yes have borne some of the pain. As a frequent traveler, I've returned from away too many times this time of year only to have to drag my luggage through a snow laden parking lot(often the furthest spot from the entrance!), then digging out my vehicle with my feet and hands(I started bringing a mini-shovel).
Ha!!!!!! That was me last night at 12 am :-) Post-holing thru the drifts with my bag in tow... being dragged thru the snow. I find those little wheels don't work so well over a foot of snow and drifts. LOL. I also always bring a shovel.

p.s. After spending some time in Ottawa yesterday... with it's beautiful award-winning airport... full of limestone walls, douglas fir beams, glass panels, exposed steel structure and soaring open spaces (not to mention power outlets galore!!!)... coming back to the Halifax airport was pretty depressing. The interior is so cheap and dumpy and in some cases just plain ugly... and tacky.... even some of the newer areas. But anyway. That's Ottawa for you. $$$$$

Old Posted Jan 2, 2009, 9:05 PM

I agree. HIAA suffers from low ceilings in many areas that hark back to its original construction as a small airport that the feds built many copies of in the late 50s/early 60s. It just feels confined. I don't know if it has changed in the last couple of years, but some of the walks you have to take to get from the gate to the aircraft are just ridiculous for the smaller planes; the same for deplaning to get to baggage claim. A lot of the things they have done over the last few years are like putting lipstick on a pig.

OTOH, having traveled through Ottawa a lot in the late 80s thru the mid 90s Ottawa airport was always under construction. Maybe ours will eventually get good.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure