HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 6, 2019, 5:55 PM

Looks like Matador restaurant in portage place is shut down. Never been there but it’s been in the mall as long as I can remember.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2019, 6:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
Looks like Matador restaurant in portage place is shut down. Never been there but it’s been in the mall as long as I can remember.
Oh no! I loved that place. Quirky fusion menu. No more coconut chicken fingers and Matador salad.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2019, 6:26 PM

Quote:
Matador has only been there for about a decade. The space was previously occupied by Partners Deli which was there for a long time, possibly one of the original tenants going back to 1987 but I can't remember for sure.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2019, 7:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlubberMiley View Post
Winnipeggers are spoiled in terms of good quality eating establishments. Where else can you get a good breakfast under $10 at Salisbury House, or some delicious, mouth-watering chicken at Chicken Delight.
LOL WTF? Salisbury House? Chicken Delight? Are you 75 years old?

Good breakfast can be had at Clementine, Stellas, or Smitties if one must go to a national chain.

Good fried chicken in a bucket comes from Chicken Chef and good chicken on a bun can be found at The Cornerstone in Osborne.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2019, 7:54 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipegger View Post

Good breakfast can be had at Clementine, Stellas, or Smitties if one must go to a national chain.
Sorry, but nothing beats Sals. You can get 2 pancakes, hash-browns, and 4 strips of bacon for $7.99

Quote:
Good fried chicken in a bucket comes from Chicken Chef and good chicken on a bun can be found at The Cornerstone in Osborne.
I prefer the delicious, mouth-watering chicken, at a Manitoba-based establishment that has been part of the community since 1959.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2019, 8:43 PM

Quote:

Not everyone has the time to go and park etc @ Clementines etc. Stellas no thanks...FYI ..Know it all... it is spelled Smitty's. lol
I go to Sals and I nor my friends are anywhere near 75..and how rude to someone who is 75? And what if the person u insulted was ..But Making ASS-umptions..You are Ageist ignorant & rude
Your an ASS!
How ignorant & Rude..I have heard this uneducated comment before..By someone who managed a well known retail establishment and could not pay his bills and was about to lose the family home to the creditors.
Sals for breakfast once in awhile and for fresh real delicious home made soups, a couple other things.. the rest of the menu not so much.
Love the breakfast best @ Pancake house..so I am certain one must be 80? 90? to eat there? lol

BTW..Best chicken in town..1- Popeyes, 2- Mary Browns..then chicken chef. For dining inside leisurely, fabulous @ The Red Top and Santa Lucia. SO what ages eat there ? Ignorant POS

Last edited by BAKGUY; Sep 6, 2019 at 8:50 PM. Reason: EDIT

Old Posted Sep 6, 2019, 8:48 PM

Partners rest 2nd floor Portage Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Matador has only been there for about a decade. The space was previously occupied by Partners Deli which was there for a long time, possibly one of the original tenants going back to 1987 but I can't remember for sure.
Yes, Marilyn opened up Partners in Sept 1987. She offered home made food at reasonable prices and decent atmosphere. I went there many times with family, friends and colleagues, especially when I was working downtown.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2019, 9:20 PM

I guess maybe Sals is ok for breakfast. I remember going after the bar a few times. I've had a waitress who was missing teeth and reeking of cigarettes once. I always get a weird vibe from that place. Things seem sticky and it's like a bizarro world for some reason. Last time I went there some guy went off on the waitress (who was surpisingly young and pleasant) because he didn't get jam with his toast. Her explanation that it was garlic toast didn't placate him. Food was never good imo.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2019, 9:26 PM

Quote:
I guess maybe Sals is ok for breakfast. I remember going after the bar a few times. I've had a waitress who was missing teeth and reeking of cigarettes once. I always get a weird vibe from that place. Things seem sticky and it's like a bizarro world for some reason. Last time I went there some guy went off on the waitress (who was surpisingly young and pleasant) because he didn't get jam with his toast. Her explanation that it was garlic toast didn't placate him. Food was never good imo.
Each location is different. Stafford & Taylor Or Lombard, Leila ave are not like the old style locations at all.You can not judge all races by one person. Again, I think the breakfasts are great and soups..the rest, not

Old Posted Sep 7, 2019, 12:42 AM

I happen to like Sals and Chicken Delight once in a while, but I wouldn’t hold them up as examples of Winnipeg’s great food culture. For a greasy spoon breakfast, I’d go with the Nook Diner in Sherbrook. Quirky, home cooked, and reasonably priced. For fried chicken, I dunno. I’m pretty sure Chicken Chef is ‘local’ to Manitoba. They are quite good. Used to really like the broasted chicken at Romani’s on Pembina, but they are long gone. Tallest Poppy does a good fried chicken and waffles. But yeah, delivery from Chick Delight is nice once in a while.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2019, 5:50 PM

Bayleaf bistro is now open in the CityPlace food court. Wraps and sandwichs it looks like.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2019, 11:15 PM

Another Popeyes chicken location will be located on a new pad site being built right now, in the Seafood City parking lot Corner of Mcphillips and Leila.

Yes, we know, Popeyes chicken isn’t good, we get it. We don’t need reminding. There’s plenty of other chicken places, we got it.
And I don’t know why we need another fried chicken place or another Popeyes location, don’t know, ask the owners. Did I cover everything?

Old Posted Sep 9, 2019, 11:43 PM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Quote:

Pancake House has the 2 eggs, 2 pancakes, 4 slices of small back bacon + refillable coffee. Last time I was there in the spring it was $16.60 and went down a tad after the cut in the PST.

I've basically stopped eating at Stellas because of their unionization and demonization of its former owners.

Cheaper to make at home. It's getting outrageously exp. to eat out.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2019, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegcity View Post
Another Popeyes chicken location will be located on a new pad site being built right now, in the Seafood City parking lot Corner of Mcphillips and Leila.

Yes, we know, Popeyes chicken isn’t good, we get it. We don’t need reminding. There’s plenty of other chicken places, we got it.
And I don’t know why we need another fried chicken place or another Popeyes location, don’t know, ask the owners. Did I cover everything?
I thought someone had said that an east side Mario’s was going in there.

But I guess Popeyes makes sense there. It’s not like there’s a Mary browns, KFC, Chicken Delight and Jollybee all within a few blocks.

Last edited by cheswick; Sep 10, 2019 at 11:46 AM.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2019, 3:08 AM

I love me Clementine and other good breakfasts, but I have been going to Sals on Lombard frequently lately. Hard to beat bacon, eggs, hashbrowns, and toast/fruit for $5.47. They seem to be doing very well. 8:30 in the morning it's full of business people. Happy for them.

It's nice to be able to grab something quick and cheap in the Exchange for once. Unlike going to King + Bann or Chosabi and waiting 10 minutes at a grab-n-go spot, paying $22 and being hungry again in an hour.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2019, 1:42 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilZebra View Post
I've basically stopped eating at Stellas because of their unionization and demonization of its former owners.
If you want to take a stand against that it would be better to eat there and just not leave a tip.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2019, 1:54 PM

How dare those uppity Stella's staff assert their rights against owners who treated them abusively! My boss treats me like garbage so everyone else should be treated like garbage by their bosses too!

Old Posted Sep 10, 2019, 4:13 PM

Popeyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegcity View Post

Popeyes has great chicken, the best in town , what are u talking about???? I mean, have u seen the line ups? Mary Browns is also good followed by Chicken chef. Popeyes is opening St James, garden City, E Kildonan and Transcona all before years end. Jollibee is gross, Ch Delight is not great at all.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2019, 6:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilZebra View Post
I've basically stopped eating at Stellas because of their unionization and demonization of its former owners..
haha what? "I refuse to eat somewhere unless the staff who make my food are treated as poorly as possible." lol

Is it like a power thing? You need to feel superior to the people serving you and part of that is knowing that their jobs are as bad as possible?

Old Posted Sep 10, 2019, 6:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAKGUY View Post
Popeyes has great chicken, the best in town , what are u talking about???? I mean, have u seen the line ups? Mary Browns is also good followed by Chicken chef. Popeyes is opening St James, garden City, E Kildonan and Transcona all before years end. Jollibee is gross, Ch Delight is not great at all.
I know we can’t always read someone’s tone but that post is clearly dripping with sarcasm

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan