HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Dec 16, 2020, 4:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawnadelphia View Post
Also, despite the pandemic, the City has started a new media/ad campaign under the slogan, "It's Time"

The "It's Time" campaign was unveiled in September 2018 but it didn't really do anything because it was a just single video that wasn't promoted/targeted properly, alongside a bunch of social media accounts that just recycled the same stale content to death. The campaign became more or less dormant but got revived with a slightly different spin the midst of COVID.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2020, 3:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesrmj View Post
I'm not an expert at this by any means, but here are some things I think the Philly Metro needs to improve in to be more attractive.

3.) What it has to offer businesses

Philadelphia is a great city. It has so many strengths and definitely is underrated. It also seems like the cost of everything is way cheaper than DC, NYC, San Francisco, etc. But how is it in terms of what it has to offer to businesses? I know Delaware has some pretty good business laws, hence why there are more companies incorporated there than it's population, but there is clearly a reason why businesses are not choosing Delaware or PHL area to set up shop. I don't know all the details, but there must be some things that are not attracting businesses over the other areas.
Just FYI, business entities don’t incorporate in Delaware because its laws make it a good place to physically operate a business in the sense that most people talk about being “business-friendly,” although it’s probably better than other northeastern states. They incorporate there because of the strength, sophistication and predictability of Delaware’s corporate/business law and its expert, efficient courts. There are also sometimes tax and anonymity benefits to structuring certain business entities there. Business entities can get that benefit while operating the business wherever is best for them.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2020, 5:36 PM

Old Posted Dec 22, 2020, 6:21 PM

Lancaster is Philly Metro in my book.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2020, 6:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post
Interesting. Does MARC have any plans to extend service to Northeast and/or Elkton?

If it were to get the line to Elkton, it would be an easy extension. Probably easier to get MARC all the way to Newark than Septa to Elkton, given that MD is more of a pro-transit state.
Nothing could be further from the truth. Maryland canceled Baltimore's last true shot of a citywide transit system in the redline and has shown no interest in expanding regional rail. Heck, Marc only started offering weekend service on ONE line a few years ago...

Old Posted Dec 22, 2020, 6:56 PM
Me?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
Lancaster is Philly Metro in my book.
Nah it's really its own thing but if it is going to swing from that it has more connection/in common with Harrisburg than Philly. Neat place, though, and packs a lot of punch for its size. Cool project!

Old Posted Dec 23, 2020, 7:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeGuy View Post
That's incredible! Congrats to Lancaster!

Old Posted Dec 23, 2020, 7:25 PM
Me?!?

A decades-long road project aims to bring Norristown out of isolation. Will revitalization follow?
https://www.inquirer.com/real-estate...outputType=amp

Old Posted Dec 23, 2020, 7:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideHBG View Post
Nah it's really its own thing but if it is going to swing from that it has more connection/in common with Harrisburg than Philly. Neat place, though, and packs a lot of punch for its size. Cool project!
Agreed. Lancaster is a part of the "South Central, PA Region." It's a part of both the Philadelphia and Harrisburg Media Markets, but it really makes up the "Harrisburg-Lancaster-Lebanon-York" region.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2020, 7:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideHBG View Post
A decades-long road project aims to bring Norristown out of isolation. Will revitalization follow?
https://www.inquirer.com/real-estate...outputType=amp
Was literally just going to post this LOL. Good article. Norristown has SO much potential to be a great walkable, urban town with direct transit access into Philly.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2020, 4:29 PM

Merry Christmas Everyone!

Old Posted Dec 27, 2020, 1:17 AM
Me?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Was literally just going to post this LOL. Good article. Norristown has SO much potential to be a great walkable, urban town with direct transit access into Philly.
It really does and its location is great too. However, the crime is still a major problem and until that is under control progress won't be budging. The taxes suck too and you can feel as if you are getting a lot more for your money in any municipality around it.

The borough does seem to be trying and I have noticed small touches in parts of the borough that have been making a nice impact e.g. bright LED street lights.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2020, 1:40 AM

Which business district/neighborhood do you think will revitalize first in Norristown? Main Street and the historic downtown or Marshall Street and the West End?

Obviously Main Street is more central and has better connections to transit and 202. However there are so many holes and vacancy that it is quite barren. I also think the architecture is less impressive on the remaining buildings. It would need some big anchor projects at Dekalb and Main for example. There are some signs such as the newish cafe and distillery on Main between Dekalb and Green.

Marshall Street on the other hand has less vacancy nearly no vacant lots. It is the center of Norristowns growing Mexican and Central American community. Also some of the homes on that side of town are gorgeous, I would love to buy one of those twins on Haws or Stanbridge. I am curious which part will revitalize first.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2020, 1:41 PM

Main Street - Newark, DE (University of Delaware)

"Hill said the architecture was inspired by 19th-century downtown department stores, like the Snellenburg & Co building in Philadelphia, which was built in a Renaissance Revival style. He said he already made some design changes based on feedback from the city, such as adding brick to better fit in with surrounding buildings."
https://www.newarkpostonline.com/new...ad24f4fb8.html

Old Posted Dec 28, 2020, 3:49 PM
Me?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfish View Post
Which business district/neighborhood do you think will revitalize first in Norristown? Main Street and the historic downtown or Marshall Street and the West End?

Obviously Main Street is more central and has better connections to transit and 202. However there are so many holes and vacancy that it is quite barren. I also think the architecture is less impressive on the remaining buildings. It would need some big anchor projects at Dekalb and Main for example. There are some signs such as the newish cafe and distillery on Main between Dekalb and Green.

Marshall Street on the other hand has less vacancy nearly no vacant lots. It is the center of Norristowns growing Mexican and Central American community. Also some of the homes on that side of town are gorgeous, I would love to buy one of those twins on Haws or Stanbridge. I am curious which part will revitalize first.
Yeah I am with you and Main St. is kind of...dull. It would make sense to make that more of a business district and then Marshall more of a vibrant neighborhood with its own downtown.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2020, 10:22 PM
Philly Pholly

Loving this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
that's incredible! Congrats to lancaster!

Old Posted Dec 28, 2020, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawnadelphia View Post

"Hill said the architecture was inspired by 19th-century downtown department stores, like the Snellenburg & Co building in Philadelphia, which was built in a Renaissance Revival style. He said he already made some design changes based on feedback from the city, such as adding brick to better fit in with surrounding buildings."
https://www.newarkpostonline.com/new...ad24f4fb8.html
I have to say...this looks amazing.

I always look at some of the old buildings around town and lament about how no one builds this stuff anymore.

This is the first example of that I can remember seeing since the Moron thing.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2020, 7:57 PM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
I have to say...this looks amazing.

I always look at some of the old buildings around town and lament about how no one builds this stuff anymore.

This is the first example of that I can remember seeing since the Moron thing.
The people of Newark are going crazy, they are not happy about this building and say it doesn't block in Newark in the CITY.

People are also saying they do not want Newark to turn into Wilmington, which really shows why Newark is only a one strip city with rural attitude.

It's sad because Newark could have been a really good big city.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2021, 8:35 PM

Cricket Avenue in Ardmore

One Ardmore Place has been open for about 18 months now and none of its' retail spaces are leased:

Across the street Cricket Flats is complete and none of its' retail spaces are leased either:

Old Posted Jan 2, 2021, 10:35 PM
Show me the blueprints

Don't visit this thread often and not from the Philly area, but there is one universal explanation for why retail spaces go vacant for long periods of time: The rent is too damn high. I do not believe for a second there are not businesses looking for space, even in the middle of a pandemic. They're just looking for space they can afford.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations