HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Closed Thread

Old Posted Jun 20, 2021, 3:04 AM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
Hey man, at least you are doing your part! By creating a signature with a name for Calgary that no-one uses, that is so proud of the place for housing 1.6 million people, that exists entirely because evil white people colonised the place and put the land to more productive economic use than the previous population. There would be none of the 400 highrises you celebrate, there would be perhaps a handful of tents, had some dickcheese-stinking-ass-cunts (how would you know that?) not developed it.
Totally man. And I'm sure you'd enjoy having every single aspect of your culture beaten and raped out of you after they've ripped you from the arms of your family, before they execute you in the name of good ol' Jesus. This is the process of civilization you're clearly so proud of. Get fucked, idiot.

Also for reference, many thousands of people use the name Mohkinstsis, including nearly every indigenous person (tens of thousands of people) in this city. Additionally, every presentation in every secondary and post secondary institution in this city begins with an acknowledgement that the presentation is occurring on stolen treaty 7 land in what is known as Mohkinstsis, the Blackfoot name for the region, meaning Elbow.

Just because you're revoltingly out of touch doesn't mean everyone else is. Our development did not need to mean their near total annihilation, and when we failed to annihilate them biologically, we attempted to annihilate them culturally. Regardless of whatever pathetic nonsense you comfort yourself with, it was still a genocide. Hitler literally used our system of forced reservations and concentration camps ("residential schools") as a blueprint for his concentration camps.

Now fuck off with your strawman bullshit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
Well this thread is basically where I expected it to be. Enjoy splitting hairs about what constitutes genocide or an atrocity you heartless assholes. I can’t believe the amount of oxygen certain people will waste defending the indefensible. It is possible to participate in Canadian society while still acknowledging the evils of colonialism and native genocide. And yes: it is lamentable that settlers destroyed pristine ecosystems such as the prairies purposely slaughtered 30 million buffalo in what used to be North America’s Serengeti.
No kidding, good riddance to all these dumb fucks.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2021, 3:47 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

What we have here is a failure to communicate.

Polarization is running rampant, and the ability to have a reasonable debate has been completely lost.

This whole thread has degenerated to nothing more than a name calling contest.

Most people who post here are probably far more centrist in their opinions than the zealots believe, but this is not acknowledged. Unless you have consumed the Kool Aid, you are branded a heretic.

Since reasonable debate is no longer possible, I will refrain from posting in this thread again. Personally, because of the name calling and hyperbole, I believe the mods should really just delete this thread and be done with it.

Mods? Are you there???

Old Posted Jun 20, 2021, 3:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
What we have here is a failure to communicate.

Polarization is running rampant, and the ability to have a reasonable debate has been completely lost.

This whole thread has degenerated to nothing more than a name calling contest.

Most people who post here are probably far more centrist in their opinions than the zealots believe, but this is not acknowledged. Unless you have consumed the Kool Aid, you are branded a heretic.

Since reasonable debate is no longer possible, I will refrain from posting in this thread again. Personally, because of the name calling and hyperbole, I believe the mods should really just delete this thread and be done with it.

Mods? Are you there???
Centrism is just status quo nothingness. It's the political version of a stroad, trying to bridge both sides and doing nothing useful in the process. Or at least nothing useful that upends existing power structures and challenges existing problems.

But I do agree these threads are a menace to this website. It's a bunch of "centrists" with little knowledge on topics that involve other people deciding to chime in and give their two cents when really shutting up is free. Most of the people in these threads have no idea what they're talking about, and spew abhorrent takes and wanting to pat each other on the back for feeling the way that they do.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2021, 4:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ue View Post
Centrism is just status quo nothingness. It's the political version of a stroad, trying to bridge both sides and doing nothing useful in the process. Or at least nothing useful that upends existing power structures and challenges existing problems.
I disagree.

I could see how some who wish to advance their cause would view centrism as an obstacle, I see centrism as a pragmatic reflection of where the large 'silent majority' lie.

A society is an aggregate of millions of opinions. You're going to need that silent majority to accomplish any goal in a democracy. Things will not change overnight. One has to nudge it and nudge it and nudge it. The fact that Indigenous rights have entered Canadian mainstream culture is a sign of how far we've come. Before, this sort of thing would be a non-story because the view hadn't even come to this point.

A political example of overplaying one's hand when culture didn't support it might be Kathleen Wynne's leftward shift in Ontario before the 2018 election. Great, except her strategy resulted in Doug Ford's election and the subsequent undoing of many of her more progressive policies. If she had tread closer to the 'centre' of Ontario politics, she might still be in power today. Instead, we have Doug.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2021, 4:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewave46 View Post
I disagree.

I could see how some who wish to advance their cause would view centrism as an obstacle, I see centrism as a pragmatic reflection of where the large 'silent majority' lie.

A society is an aggregate of millions of opinions. You're going to need that silent majority to accomplish any goal in a democracy. Things will not change overnight. One has to nudge it and nudge it and nudge it. The fact that Indigenous rights have entered Canadian mainstream culture is a sign of how far we've come. Before, this sort of thing would be a non-story because the view hadn't even come to this point.

A political example of overplaying one's hand when culture didn't support it might be Kathleen Wynne's leftward shift in Ontario before the 2018 election. Great, except her strategy resulted in Doug Ford's election and the subsequent undoing of many of her more progressive policies. If she had tread closer to the 'centre' of Ontario politics, she might still be in power today. Instead, we have Doug.
Or you could look at the NDP continually chasing the right as if people who vote right wing are going to defect to the NDP. Or you could look at all of the worthless reforms that generally come from this "pragmatic" approach. Police violence? Nothing a good body cam can't fix! Oh wait...

Old Posted Jun 20, 2021, 4:19 AM

Quote:
Good god, this thread is fucked. Maybe we should bring back the concentration camp (residential school) system for 30+ year old straight white dickcheese-stinking-ass cunts like the conservative pricks on here and see how y'all like it.
I don't mean to call out anyone specifically but this kind of post makes things worse, not better, pretty much 100% of the time. I'm not a mod but... please don't do this.

The level of spite on this forum lately is really unpleasant in and of itself but on top of that the tantrums (from everyone) really just drag down the conversations even more.

End

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada