HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Old Posted Oct 2, 2016, 11:47 PM
retro_orange

I'm curious what the seismic rating of the tower is. Is it poured in place or made from precast panels?

Old Posted Oct 3, 2016, 2:15 AM

they should build 2 towers on the site just like what is proposed, but make them 80-floors and 70-floors. then go ahead, tear down the Landmark.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2016, 6:38 AM
EdInVan

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-paladin View Post
In my case I wrote to city hall. I would encourage the rest of you to do so as well.
There's no point in writing; this has already approved. As in most cases, the consultation is just a charade to give the impression that the city cares about what the public thinks.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2016, 7:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scryer View Post
I wish it was being replaced with one tall tower . God knows we have the market for it.

I bet that if a taller or a tower just as tall as the Landmark was proposed, we would all be having a different discussion.
It would not change mine at all. Because it would not change the fact that there are countless lots of low rises perfectly suitable for such towers as well.

Again, this is a landmark tower that if left will surely be seen as a heritage structure in the future.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2016, 3:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retro_orange View Post
I'm curious what the seismic rating of the tower is. Is it poured in place or made from precast panels?
My dad was an engineer, and I think he said the seismic rating had to be around 7.2 for most newer buildings (when I was a young kid, of course).

Old Posted Oct 3, 2016, 3:47 PM
life in the present

Quote:
Originally Posted by retro_orange View Post
I'm pretty sure it's poured ( slip-cast ) concrete, I recall seeing some photos during the construction phase and I recall the wooden cast.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2016, 4:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdinVan View Post
There's no point in writing; this has already approved. As in most cases, the consultation is just a charade to give the impression that the city cares about what the public thinks.
How do you know it's been approved? It hasn't gone before city council yet.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2016, 10:36 PM
retro_orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by trofirhen View Post
My dad was an engineer, and I think he said the seismic rating had to be around 7.2 for most newer buildings (when I was a young kid, of course).
Quote:
Originally Posted by connect2source
I'm pretty sure it's poured ( slip-cast ) concrete, I recall seeing some photos during the construction phase and I recall the wooden cast.
Good to know!

Old Posted Oct 3, 2016, 10:37 PM
retro_orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham_Yvr View Post
How do you know it's been approved? It hasn't gone before city council yet.
It doesn't require rezoning because of the west end community plan. Though i do believe it still has to go before the UDP? (not that it matters)

Old Posted Oct 3, 2016, 11:59 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

That is correct there is no rezoning here it's straight to the development permit board. It's going to be tough to disallow something that falls under current zoning.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2016, 12:36 AM

It's surprising to see such a large structure coming down. If this one is coming down, there are likely to be a lot of redevelopment in the West End. Much more than first thought.

As for this building, it's no big loss in my books. This not the Birks Building. There will be no regrets 30 years from now.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2016, 5:51 AM

Why the hell is this building being demolished when there is an empty lot right across the street to build on? I don't get it? How can Vancouver be "the greenest city" and demolish buildings left and right? I never thought that such tall towers would come down here. This just reminds me of all the buildings demolished in New York in the 60s like Penn Station and the Singer Building, which some thought were ugly simply because they were old (only about 50) and in a bad state. And now those buildings' demolitions are seen as "regrets", this one will be too.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2016, 6:22 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Write to council, even if it doesn't do anything you'll feel better knowing you made an effort.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2016, 7:16 AM

I've had a nice view of the Empire Landmark for many years. It may not be pretty but it is a landmark. I think the bright neon signage that the current owner/operator placed on the roof is a bit tacky. I liked the simple ring of lights it had before. I was quite surprised to learn that it may be demolished. Came across this tower being built in Kozhikode (Calicut) India & immediately thought of the Empire Landmark. It might be a more appropriate design to replace the Landmark if one was to replicate it today. Of course this is not what the current owner has in mind. Not quite sure what to think of the current replacement other than "yawn".

Photo: Magnum Opus project in Calicut from www.galaxy-builders.com website.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2016, 8:33 AM

^ Yeah, that'd work too.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2016, 5:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
Cross-posting from Downtown Vancouver Udpates thread. Most of the discussion from there could have been moved in here, as this is a major project if approved.

I am not against those towers and would be happy to see them built without the current tower being demolished.
As usual Klaus you do a great job of capturing the building. Is it brilliant? No, but it's a great example of the Brutalist style being softened for a hotel tower. It's clean and much better looking than its contemporary West End highrises seen in the photos. One could even argue its slender form over a podium set the pattern for the point tower pattern of Vancouverism.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2016, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanville View Post

wow that is nice, that would work nice as a replacement. why don't we ever get projects like this? it can't all be because of city hall, can it?

Old Posted Oct 10, 2016, 4:46 AM

I agree with Vanville re: the Calicut project. Hope the current Landmark design can morph into this awesome design!

Old Posted Oct 10, 2016, 5:06 AM

Not sure I fully understand the scope of this proposal. Is the demolition of this tower not going to be very expensive and time consuming to justify itself?

Old Posted Oct 11, 2016, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanville View Post
I've had a nice view of the Empire Landmark for many years. It may not be pretty but it is a landmark. I think the bright neon signage that the current owner/operator placed on the roof is a bit tacky. I liked the simple ring of lights it had before. I was quite surprised to learn that it may be demolished. Came across this tower being built in Kozhikode (Calicut) India & immediately thought of the Empire Landmark. It might be a more appropriate design to replace the Landmark if one was to replicate it today. Of course this is not what the current owner has in mind. Not quite sure what to think of the current replacement other than "yawn".

While other cities build nice stuff, we tear ours down and replace them with crap.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver