HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 29, 2008, 12:59 AM
Movin' on up

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
.... greco u live in edmonton at this time theres noting stoping u from making the thread.....
I don't think you get the point; I'm not the one passionate about Edmonton's Inland Port, as I'm not the one coming on here and bolstering about it.

Get it?

Old Posted Sep 29, 2008, 1:27 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

u missed my point...

Old Posted Sep 29, 2008, 1:30 AM

Warning to Greco Roman and Newflyer...do not read the following release if you do not want to know about what other cities are doing in relation to inland port development...

Federal investments strengthen Canada's Asia-Pacific Gateway and Corridor opportunities
September 03, 2008 Edmonton, Alberta

The Government of Canada is taking steps to strengthen economic linkages between Western Canada and the Asia-Pacific region through investments that will support enhanced commercial and economic opportunities.

The Honourable Rona Ambrose, President of the Queen's Privy Council for Canada, Minister of Intergovernmental Affairs and Minister of Western Economic Diversification, announced the total federal investment of more than $1 million today.

"These investments will help position Western Canada for success as it strives to capitalize on the tremendous trade and investment opportunities with the Asia-Pacific region's rapidly growing economies," said Minister Ambrose. "The partnerships announced today are key steps towards driving more and higher value activities through Western Canada's Asia-Pacific Gateway and Corridor."

A $320,000 federal investment towards the Asia Pacific Foundation of Canada will support efforts in researching and developing Western Canada's value-added opportunities across a range of industries. The funding from Western Economic Diversification Canada, made through its Western Diversification Program, will contribute towards the total project cost of more than $1 million. The Foundation will draw upon its extensive network of stakeholders and experts to identify strategies and actions to build on Western Canada's competitive advantage as a Gateway economy.

Yuen Pau Woo, President and CEO of the Asia Pacific Foundation of Canada commented, "The rise of Asia as an economic power will require profound adjustments in the way we do business, whether or not we do business with Asia. The generous support of Western Economic Diversification Canada will help us in our core mandate of equipping Canadians, especially in western provinces, to be more effective in their dealings with Asia and in strengthening Canada's credentials as a committed member of the Asia-Pacific region."

The Asia Pacific Foundation of Canada is a national, not-for-profit organization that serves as a centre of expertise on contemporary Asia and Canadian relations with Asia. The Foundation's mandate is to foster stronger ties between Canada and Asia through policy research, networking, and public awareness, serving the business community, government, and civil society.

In addition, a federal investment of almost $760,000 will enable the Edmonton International Airport to develop two key components of the Port Alberta initiative. The Airport will establish a logistics support centre that will serve as a one-stop cargo processing facility for services such as security and regulatory clearance. Funding will also allow for the development of a SmartPort Platform that uses state-of-the-art information technology for tracking and monitoring cargo. The investment from Western Economic Diversification Canada, made through its Western Diversification Program, will receive a matching investment from the Edmonton International Airport for a total project cost of more than $1.5 million.

"This new funding provides for two key components for developing Port Alberta at Edmonton International Airport," said Reg Milley, EIA President and CEO. "EIA, as part of the broader regional initiative, will become a major cargo processing centre with onsite warehouse and logistics facilities, capable of hosting multiple modes of transportation and acting as a catalyst for advancing global trade and distribution across the region and the globe."

This investment builds on Western Economic Diversification Canada's previous announcement of $1.5 million to support the building blocks of research, partnerships and plans for the Port Alberta initiative. Port Alberta has the potential to transform both the Edmonton International Airport and Edmonton region into a major North American warehousing and distribution hub that combines air, rail and road transportation infrastructure with links to Asia and the Americas.

Western Economic Diversification Canada is a department of the Government of Canada that works in partnership with the provinces, industry associations and communities to stimulate and encourage diversification of the western economy. It also represents the interests of the West in national decision-making.

Last edited by DAVEinEDMONTON; Sep 29, 2008 at 1:46 AM.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2008, 1:48 AM
BANNED

Quote:
u missed my point...

You are a very naive human being.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2008, 2:26 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus41 View Post
You are a very naive human being.
so i have been told by many people

Old Posted Sep 29, 2008, 2:44 AM

Quote:
so i have been told by many people
After reading many of your posts over the months and watching while many have picked on you for various reasons I do respect that you have the ability to laugh at yourself and not let those who try and shit all over you ruin your day...good for you!!!

Old Posted Sep 29, 2008, 3:12 AM
BANNED

Hey guys, new to this forum and this is my first post. I have been lurking for awhile now, and felt this is the time I should officially state my opinion on things.

First, Markus41, that was a very rude comment to make. You should probably apologize to him for that as the conversation didn't involve you in any manner.

My second comment is direct at DAVEinEDMONTON:
I think many people here appreciate your input on the whole inland port, and have come to see that nothing is perfect for Winnipeg's bid. However, you do seem to be somewhat of a troll when it comes to this topic. Winnipeg has been struggling to get back into the economically competitive circuit for the last couple of years, and we as a city are finally making progress and showing initiative. For you to come here and essentially state "Edmonton is better than Winnipeg" 10,000 times is quite annoying. We get your point. We know how you feel. What connection do you have with Winnipeg? Are you a bitter ex-pegger that somehow needs to vent his frustration on your lack of a successful life in Winnipeg? I've been reading what you have been writing for awhile now, and this is the impression I get from you. Greco Roman and Newflyer do seem defensive at times, but I don't blame them for it in terms of your posts. You may not feel like you are knocking Winnipeg, but you come off as yet another arrogant Albertan who thinks Alberta is so great and so much better than Manitoba. I know I'm sick of Albertans for constantly doing this. Please quite stirring shit up. We get that you think Edmonton is better suited. I don't mean to be insulting, but like I said before; I'm getting sick of the Alberta Arrogance factor around here.

Anyways, I think this is a great opportunity for Winnipeg and Manitoba to become distribution hubs for various locations on a continental and global scale. I'm very proud to be a part of the new Winnipeg that is slowly emerging.

Last edited by Prairie Guy; Sep 29, 2008 at 3:29 AM.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2008, 3:16 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

let markus be... he only said the truth

and btw welcome to the forum prairie guy

Old Posted Sep 29, 2008, 3:18 AM

(sic) I'm glad that out of town forumers do take time out of their busy days to critique the character of one of Winnipeg's most dedicated urban dwellers. Nothing like seeing how high you can build your own personal ivory tower. If you aren't measuring yourself up to others, massaging personal gratification for conceived ideals of dominance, then you just aren't doing your moral duty.

Remember to build really high, to ensure that everyone walking below seems small and insignificant.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2008, 3:20 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

why build tall when u can build an urban gem like the exchange and then build onto that!

Old Posted Sep 29, 2008, 3:28 AM
BANNED

Quote:
and btw welcome to the forum prairie guy
Thanks

Old Posted Sep 29, 2008, 3:30 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie Guy View Post
Thanks
your welcome

Old Posted Sep 29, 2008, 3:32 AM

Quote:
Hey guys, new to this forum and this is my first post. I have been lurking for awhile now, and felt this is the time I should officially state my opinion on things.

First, Markus41, that was a very rude comment to make. You should probably apologize to him for that as the conversation didn't involve you in any manner.

My second comment is direct at DAVEinEDMONTON:
I think many people here appreciate your input on the whole inland port, and have come to see that nothing is perfect for Winnipeg's bid. However, you do seem to be somewhat of a troll when it comes to this topic. Winnipeg has been struggling to get back into the economically competitive circuit for the last couple of years, and we as a city are finally making progress and showing initiative. For you to come here and essentially state "Edmonton is better than Winnipeg" 10,000 is quite annoying. We get your point. We know how you feel. What connection do you have with Winnipeg? Are you a bitter ex-pegger that somehow needs to vent his frustration on your lack of a successful life in Winnipeg? I've been reading what you have been writing for awhile now, and this is the impression I get from you. Greco Roman and Newflyer do seem defensive at times, but I don't blame them for it in terms of your posts. You may not feel like you are knocking Winnipeg, but you come off as yet another arrogant Albertan who thinks Alberta is so great and so much better than Manitoba. I know I'm sick of Albertans for constantly doing this. Please quite stirring shit up. We get that you think Edmonton is better suited. I don't mean to be insulting, but like I said before; I'm getting sick of the Alberta Arrogance factor around here.

Anyways, I think this is a great opportunity for Winnipeg and Manitoba to become distribution hubs for various locations on a continental and global scale. I'm very proud to be a part of the new Winnipeg that is slowly emerging.
Boo hoo...better develop a thicker skin if you plan to comment on here...welcome to the forum

Old Posted Sep 29, 2008, 3:36 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVEinEDMONTON View Post
Boo hoo...better develop a thicker skin if you plan to comment on here...welcome to the forum
Thanks for the welcome I guess, but this childlike response tells me that I am onto something. I've also read your posts in the Alberta forum, and how you praise Edmonton's airport, but constantly criticize Winnipeg's new terminal. I think the new terminal will be a great step into increase passenger flights and non-stop destination. It's like you get your jollies by coming on here and downplaying Winnipeg.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2008, 3:55 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the welcome I guess, but this childlike response tells me that I am onto something. I've also read your posts in the Alberta forum, and how you praise Edmonton's airport, but constantly criticize Winnipeg's new terminal. I think the new terminal will be a great step into increase passenger flights and non-stop destination. It's like you get your jollies by comming on here and downplaying Winnipeg.
????? Don't make false statements buddy!...I have never said anything bad ever about Winnipeg's new terminal...and for that matter I don't think I praised Edmonton's terminal either...your third post and you are already making false accusations...not a great start...

And here is your second post in a Calgary thread:

"It seems as though Calgarians can't take criticism in any form and come off as hostile and defensive. That is very sad indeed."

Why is it sad for Calgarians and not sad for Winnipeggers???...sounds like a double standard to me.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2008, 4:02 AM
Movin' on up

Quote:
????? Don't make false statements buddy!...I have never said anything bad ever about Winnipeg's new terminal...and for that matter I don't think I praised Edmonton's terminal either...your third post and you are already making false accusations...not a great start...

And here is your second post in a Calgary thread:

"It seems as though Calgarians can't take criticism in any form and come off as hostile and defensive. That is very sad indeed."

Why is it sad for Calgarians and not sad for Winnipeggers???...sounds like a double standard to me.
It's sad for everybody, and I think he is only trying to stand up for Winnipeg. Does he have a point though? Why do you poopoo most of what Winnipeg is trying to achieve? Of course nothing there is perfect, but neither is it perfect in Edmonton, Calgary, Toronto, Vancouver, etc. I think because you frequent the Manitoba forum quite frequently, it's kinda perceived that you just come here to, as he says, downplay what is going on in Winnipeg. It's just a general perception that several forumers have made.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2008, 4:27 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

guys cut out the bitch fest already.... enuff is enuff this has gone way off topic anyways...

Old Posted Sep 29, 2008, 4:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greco Roman View Post
It's sad for everybody, and I think he is only trying to stand up for Winnipeg. Does he have a point though? Why do you poopoo most of what Winnipeg is trying to achieve? Of course nothing there is perfect, but neither is it perfect in Edmonton, Calgary, Toronto, Vancouver, etc. I think because you frequent the Manitoba forum quite frequently, it's kinda perceived that you just come here to, as he says, downplay what is going on in Winnipeg. It's just a general perception that several forumers have made.
No...he does not have a valid point...if you choose to not look at or consider all the points surrounding an issue then that is up to you...if sticking your head in the sand and thinking that all is well outside is your thing then great...go for it! I get lots of people who seem to realize that I bring lots of information to the discussions but there is always the chosen few who see it your way and can't get past that it is not a true blue Winnipeg forumer making the comments, good or bad.

Last edited by DAVEinEDMONTON; Sep 29, 2008 at 5:58 AM.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2008, 10:16 PM
A long time gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
20 years ago winport was going to be the most important development to ever happen in winnipeg....i like the name centreport better at least....i wonder what the idea will be called in 2020 when someone comes up with it again....maybe....fortheloveofgodpleaseshipyourstuffthroughourcityport

-------------
"The spider spins his web in the Palace of the Caesars,
An owl hoots in the towers of Afrasiyab."

Old Posted Sep 30, 2008, 3:39 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
No...he does not have a valid point...if you choose to not look at or consider all the points surrounding an issue then that is up to you...if sticking your head in the sand and thinking that all is well outside is your thing then great...go for it! I get lots of people who seem to realize that I bring lots of information to the discussions but there is always the chosen few who see it your way and can't get past that it is not a true blue Winnipeg forumer making the comments, good or bad.
LOts of information??? ... well beyond the fact that you obviously can't read, you're an incredible source of infomation.

Attention: Dave in Edmonton, please don't read further.

This thread is called Centre Port Canada (WPG) for a reason. It is not call compare Winnipeg's dominant position as the distribution centre connecting East and West Canada and the US Midwest to Edmonton's secondary container port to the small sea port of Prince Rupert.

Yeah thats the same.

With such generation of infomation, perhaps you'd also like to make comments about Edmonton's transit on Winnipeg's transit thread. What a brillant idea!!! ... You are only imbarassing yourself, by being so ignorant.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan