HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 24, 2024, 5:36 PM
What could go wrong?

We are the city of studies.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted May 24, 2024, 5:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
There was some temporary pilot project type things in Winnipeg. Basic moveable curbs nailed to the street. Can't remember exactly where, but they were in and around downtown IIRC.
Bannatyne and McDermot. They're "temporary" curbs, but they've been there for years and only move when the snowplows hit them. Since the experiment was successful, I'd like to see those two made permanent and the temporary curbs redeployed to trial somewhere like Wellington Crescent, Stafford, or Lilac.

Old Posted May 24, 2024, 5:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdRain&Snow View Post
Completely agree, it's super frustrating how long any sort of change takes. For example, Osborne Village is the densest neighbourhood in Winnipeg but still doesn't have one bike lane (unless you can the painted bike lane on Nassau which is like 2 blocks long). Okay, so in 2021 the City decides it's finally time to add bike lanes to Osborne Village and starts designing bike lanes for River and Stradbrook. It's now spring of 2024 and those bike lanes still aren't open.

https://engage.winnipeg.ca/river-str...ted-bike-lanes
I agree with the complaint, but in fairness, the bike lane is open on Stradbrook between Wellington and Osborne.

Old Posted May 25, 2024, 4:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegster View Post
I agree with the complaint, but in fairness, the bike lane is open on Stradbrook between Wellington and Osborne.
They stopped working on the bike lane last fall between Donald and Stradbrook when there was still lots of warm weather left.

They haven’t resumed working on that section yet this year. I don’t understand why.

Old Posted May 25, 2024, 3:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny199r View Post
They stopped working on the bike lane last fall between Donald and Stradbrook when there was still lots of warm weather left.

They haven’t resumed working on that section yet this year. I don’t understand why.
Construction has, seemingly, slowly started on the eastern half of River Ave this week. Hopefully it's a sign of things to come.

And agreed, I don't understand why construction doesn't take advantage of every warm second we have. But every time I think that, I remember how much people complain about construction in this city. Folks, you can complain about the crumbling infrastructure or the construction, but not both!

Old Posted May 25, 2024, 5:04 PM

It’s still somewhat early in the season and all the rain has likely slowed the start to most things road work

Old Posted May 25, 2024, 6:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinCitySparky View Post
It’s still somewhat early in the season and all the rain has likely slowed the start to most things road work
There are some open road patch excavations in Elmwood that have a few inches of sanding water as of yesterday afternoon. Going to take a few warm days for the sub-grade to naturally dry out before the contractor can pour concrete.

Old Posted May 27, 2024, 3:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xubiqtss View Post
Here's another easy win that would involve no heavy infrastructure changes:

May to September Osborne Street is closed to traffic from River to Pembina. Patios, vendors, pedestrians, etc.

Ever been to Montreal in the summer? They close some of the busiest streets in the city for expressly this reason and it fucking rules.
For some god forsaken reason Winnipeg can no longer even do this for one day.

The Biz needs to get it together and do this yesterday.
Pedestrian malls only work on streets that are *already* vibrant and busy. Mount-Royal in Montreal is a lively and well-used street to begin with.

Think of Sparks Street in Ottawa, then take away the tourists, and I think that's what Osborne would look like as a ped mall.

https://www.governing.com/assessment...ian-malls.html

Old Posted May 27, 2024, 4:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borkborkbork View Post
Pedestrian malls only work on streets that are *already* vibrant and busy. Mount-Royal in Montreal is a lively and well-used street to begin with.

Think of Sparks Street in Ottawa, then take away the tourists, and I think that's what Osborne would look like as a ped mall.

https://www.governing.com/assessment...ian-malls.html
Excellent article on pedestrian malls, thanks for posting this!

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

Old Posted May 27, 2024, 6:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xubiqtss View Post
Here's another easy win that would involve no heavy infrastructure changes:

May to September Osborne Street is closed to traffic from River to Pembina. Patios, vendors, pedestrians, etc.

Ever been to Montreal in the summer? They close some of the busiest streets in the city for expressly this reason and it fucking rules.
For some god forsaken reason Winnipeg can no longer even do this for one day.

The Biz needs to get it together and do this yesterday.
As a close by resident, I'd love for the village to be pedestrianized over the summer and find all the whining about traffic delays extremely infuriating. BUT I have to admit there's one big problem with doing this on Osborne: The buses!

I've been to Montreal in the summer and from what I can see, they just temporarily reroute the buses (usually only one line per street) along the next parallel street. Not a big deal, Montreal is quite the dense grid around these areas and you just walk one block further to your stop. Additionally, the metro is completely unaffected by this and people are more willing to walk a little to the next metro station in the summer, instead of taking a bus.

With Osborne's geography and the mess that is confusion corner I don't see any good solution here. There are three lines, the 16 (Osborne), 18 (Corydon) and 60 (Pembina) going through. How would you reroute them and still keep the village itself accessible by transit?
What's the other option? Close the street to regular traffic and only let buses through at low speed? Maybe, but that is a lot of buses, especially around rush hour.
As much as I would love it, this is just really hard to do on Osborne without going full tram straight away.

Old Posted May 27, 2024, 7:01 PM

Yeah, from that article, access is important as a consideration. You either need lots of parking, or a widely used and appealing transit system. Osborne would lack either.

Quote:
"WHEN IT COMES TO MOST BIG URBAN PLANNING DECISIONS, it can be difficult to pin down why some succeed and others fail. That's not true in the case of pedestrian malls. They have been studied in minute detail, and we have a pretty good idea about when they work and when they (much more frequently) don't work.

Pedestrian malls have succeeded in college towns like Boulder, Colo., and Charlottesville, Va. They have succeeded in cities with substantial numbers of tourists, such as Denver and Miami Beach, or in towns with a significant downtown residential population. They work where there is an attractive body of water nearby. Perhaps most of all, they work if they are easy to get into and out of, either by car or by an appealing transit system that visitors are willing to use. It isn't mandatory to have all these positive features, but it's hard to make the concept work if you don't have some of them."
I think it's hard to argue that OV has any of these except perhaps a growing residential population, but even that is not really present at the scale the article is describing.

Old Posted May 27, 2024, 7:03 PM

in other news:

on reddit they are saying that the old basil's will be half shirley's (discussed here prior) and half a new restaurant by the team behind Clementine. does anyone know anything about this? this seems very positive

Old Posted May 27, 2024, 10:50 PM
keep the good times going

Quote:
Originally Posted by borkborkbork View Post
in other news:

on reddit they are saying that the old basil's will be half shirley's (discussed here prior) and half a new restaurant by the team behind Clementine. does anyone know anything about this? this seems very positive
I know someone involved. It looks like the space itself is going to be amazing. Don't know if I can say more lol, but I'm excited for it!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan