HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 2, 2018, 10:39 PM
Go kicky fast, okay!

I didn't watch the game, but watching the highlights, it seems that I didn't miss much.

SMH.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2018, 11:55 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jabroni View Post
I didn't watch the game, but watching the highlights, it seems that I didn't miss much.

SMH.
You did not miss much. I watched the 4th quarter, only because I was shocked the Bombers were even close. They were horrible.

Last edited by Jets4Life; Sep 3, 2018 at 12:45 AM.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2018, 12:28 AM

I wouldn’t get too discouraged over today’s game. Stats were pretty even. The Riders just got the turnovers and scored enough to win. Certainly not a dominating performance by the Riders. The Banjo Bowl will be a crapshoot.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2018, 1:52 AM

Something has to change and I would start with the coaching at a minimum. 27 years and counting!

Old Posted Sep 3, 2018, 4:08 AM

The Bombers are a clogged toilet that badly needs to be plunged and flushed. This team will never do anything with Walters and O'Shea at the helm and every day with them in charge is another day wasted.

For the record, this is the first time in nearly 30 years of Bomber fandom that I have called for a coach/GM to be turfed.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2018, 4:18 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLLB View Post
Something has to change and I would start with the coaching at a minimum. 27 years and counting!
Actually 28 and counting.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2018, 4:19 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
The Bombers are a clogged toilet that badly needs to be plunged and flushed. This team will never do anything with Walters and O'Shea at the helm and every day with them in charge is another day wasted.

For the record, this is the first time in nearly 30 years of Bomber fandom that I have called for a coach/GM to be turfed.
Why did they allow David Asper back on the Bomber Board, after his infamous meltdown in 2005. Since he returned the Bombers have been hot garbage for over a decade. Coincidence?

Old Posted Sep 3, 2018, 1:55 PM

From someone who was at the game:
  • Andrew Harris was covered in grease. That's the only explanation I have for his jaw dropping runs where no one could grab a piece of his jersey.
  • Nichols passes (when he wasn't under pressure) were on point and very accurate
  • The Bombers O-line is excellent at run blocking, not so good at pass blocking
  • Nichols comments about the WRs not getting open is true, but its not the receiver's fault. The plays take too long to develop and by the time one gets open, Nichols is sacked or heavily under pressure. That's lands squarely on the head of O'Shea and your OC.

All in all, the Bombers are a very strong team and they gave the Riders a scare for a good portion of the LDC. The Riders D and ST came up huge in that game and saved the day for us. I'm fully expecting the Bombers to make adjustments and take the W next week in the banjo bowl. I'll still be cheering on the Riders though.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2018, 2:15 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets4Life View Post
You did not miss much. I watched the 4th quarter, only because I was shocked the Bombers were even close. They were horrible.
They dominated the first half. Sask. got lucky on two plays (interception and one return) or it could easily have been 17-0 Bombers at the half.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2018, 4:16 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan0myte View Post
From someone who was at the game:
  • Andrew Harris was covered in grease. That's the only explanation I have for his jaw dropping runs where no one could grab a piece of his jersey.
  • Nichols passes (when he wasn't under pressure) were on point and very accurate
  • The Bombers O-line is excellent at run blocking, not so good at pass blocking
  • Nichols comments about the WRs not getting open is true, but its not the receiver's fault. The plays take too long to develop and by the time one gets open, Nichols is sacked or heavily under pressure. That's lands squarely on the head of O'Shea and your OC.

All in all, the Bombers are a very strong team and they gave the Riders a scare for a good portion of the LDC. The Riders D and ST came up huge in that game and saved the day for us. I'm fully expecting the Bombers to make adjustments and take the W next week in the banjo bowl. I'll still be cheering on the Riders though.
Nichols is horrible. The Bombers are mediocre. They will end up 7-11, and either miss out of the playoffs, or easily get routed in the first round. If that is what you call a "strong team" then I guess it is what it is.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2018, 4:17 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
They dominated the first half. Sask. got lucky on two plays (interception and one return) or it could easily have been 17-0 Bombers at the half.
...and if my Aunt had balls, she would be my Uncle.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2018, 4:32 PM

Quote:
Nichols is horrible. The Bombers are mediocre. They will end up 7-11, and either miss out of the playoffs, or easily get routed in the first round. If that is what you call a "strong team" then I guess it is what it is.
This is pretty much where we're at. Now that we're 5 years into the O'Shea/Walters era, there's no more blaming Joe Mack or whatever. This is their team, through and through. And the sad fact is that this team is still nowhere near a state of being ready to contend. Their best case scenario at this point is stumbling into the playoffs via crossover, before inevitably getting destroyed.

We could have brought back Reinebold as HC and it would have yielded the same result, i.e. 5 years without a playoff win. I mean, he couldn't have done much worse.

I know it doesn't make me a "good fan" to say this, but in some respects a prolonged losing streak with more embarrassing losses that ends up triggering a full on housecleaning might be what the team really needs over the long haul. Keeping O'Shea and Walters around for more painfully dull 8-10 seasons while hanging on to the promise that success is just around the corner is a recipe for disaster as fans keep losing interest.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2018, 11:21 PM

The Bombers dominated the first half – but made no adjustments at half time while the Riders did. This has pretty much been the story all season, especially in the losses. It's been clear the last 3 games that we made no adjustments at halftime – that falls squarely on the coaches.

I think Walters has assembled an fantastic team, aside from a few DBs (Alexander and Randle don't ever look at the ball, and get burned by that often). As many have said – Richie Hall is terrible. I think LaPo does fantastic playcallin, but again, doesn't make halftime adjustments – you know if Harris is dominating the first half, opponents will adjust, and you need to adjust offence as well.

I think O'Shea is a good coach at practice, players love him and he gets lots from them – but he's not a good game manager. It was telling after the loss where "Nichols was booed" (fans were clearly booing O'Shea), and O'Shea said he put Nichols back in because he wanted to be out there with his guys... sorry, but you're the coach – it's your decision, not his.

I mean, coming into this week the Bomber are leading the CFL in the 4 main offensive stats. The fact that's brought us to a 5-6 record when we're in the middle on D... that shows we have the personnel, but something else is coming up short.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2018, 1:17 AM

Quote:
Actually 28 and counting.
You are correct. My apologies. 28 and counting

Old Posted Sep 4, 2018, 2:04 PM

The Bombers really need new management to come in and say we're going to win now, not five years from now. Nichols is a good QB, but he's not a great QB. if he led a championship team, it would only be by a fluke. But I digress. The worst problem is O'Shea. He's an absolute clusterfuck of a coach. He must go for progress to be attained.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2018, 2:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
I think Walters has assembled an fantastic team, aside from a few DBs (Alexander and Randle don't ever look at the ball, and get burned by that often). As many have said – Richie Hall is terrible. I think LaPo does fantastic playcallin, but again, doesn't make halftime adjustments – you know if Harris is dominating the first half, opponents will adjust, and you need to adjust offence as well.
You're right... Walters has done well and there's no question that on paper, the team is far, far better than it was during the Mack years. I tend to look at Walters and O'Shea as a bit of a package deal because of their history together, but it's unfair to judge Walters on O'Shea's deficiencies.

Anyway, the errors and issues you mentioned were happening 5 years ago. However, it's easy to rationalize them when it's coming from a rookie. When you're half a decade into the HC job and you're still getting outcoached on a near-weekly basis, maybe, like with Reinebold, the football gods have decided that your career will be as an assistant coach. O'Shea for special teams coordinator all the way, 100 per cent. But as HC? No thanks.

Bomber fans are getting restive... it could be loud this week at IGF, but maybe not for the reasons that the team would like.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2018, 3:21 PM

Far better than the Mack years would be pretty easy to achieve. I'm continually amazed by the support that the Bombers get in the city in the context of their ever futile performance. In a lot of cities, they would be down to 15,000 per game at this rate. They will not win with O'Shea and /or Nichols. Walters has to be accountable because he hired O'Shea and has continued to employ him.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2018, 3:50 PM

Just for fun, I looked at post in this thread from a year ago (pages 47-50). At that time, the Bomber fans seemed pretty pumped about the upcoming LDC & Banjo Bowl and all seemed good in Bomber land. Reading these recent posts, it sounds like everyone's been down in the dumps for years. Short memories, just like fans of any team that is struggling.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2018, 4:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisis View Post
Just for fun, I looked at post in this thread from a year ago (pages 47-50). At that time, the Bomber fans seemed pretty pumped about the upcoming LDC & Banjo Bowl and all seemed good in Bomber land. Reading these recent posts, it sounds like everyone's been down in the dumps for years. Short memories, just like fans of any team that is struggling.
Funny you should say that, I was talking about the very same thing with someone this morning. Last year it felt like the team turned the corner and was poised to take the step up to the CFL's elite. There was real excitement around LDC and Banjo Bowl. This year, and I don't know if it's a result of injuries or what, but progress has eroded to the point that it feels like we're back to 2015 or 2016 again where the struggle is just to make the playoffs. It has definitely diminished the excitement of this time of year.

Remember, nothing was actually accomplished last year... those good feelings were just optimism for a bright future that never materialized. There were some flashes of brilliance last season but it fell apart in the playoffs, as we have become accustomed.

I would expect the mood at this year's Banjo Bowl will be much more grim. There will be loud booing if the Bombers fall behind early. Normally I get pretty amped for this game, but I can't remember ever caring less about a Banjo Bowl than I do this year's game. I guess if the Riders beat the crap out of the Bombers it'll bring us closer to the seemingly inevitable firing of O'Shea and a new beginning, so maybe from that standpoint it's a win-win scenario?

Old Posted Sep 4, 2018, 4:47 PM

A Grey Cup upset victory for the Blue Bombers would sure change things.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan