HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Aug 28, 2023, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highwayman View Post
I agree it does need more tv presence as you need to get people involved . Those people will eventually go to a game of two.

But the CFL needs more teams. It's simple as that. 9 teams is not enough . Back in the 70's the NFL was the sad sack league and they turned it around. Back then the CFL was in its heyday. NHL was ok with the original teams but they needed to expand. We don't need big stadium's like the NFL. But new teams should be able to support at least 20k fans per game.
Other than a team in Halifax, I am not really sure where the CFL could place a team. There are no adequate venues as far as I know in Quebec City, Kitchener, London, etc. Another problem is whether these medium sized Canadian cities would support a CFL team, especially in Southern Ontario.

I don't recall the NFL ever being a "sad sack" league. It grew tremendously in the 70s, after the AFL and NFL merged, and the Super Bowl became a staple in American households. Are you sure you are not getting the NFL mixed up with the NBA?

Quote:
I also don't buy the Toronto excuses of too many pro sports to chose from. Let's be real here. It has the largest pool of people to pull fans from. Literally 1/6 of Canada FFS. Yet they can only muster 17k and that's a GOOD night lol. Then little cities like Regina or Winnipeg can muster 30k ? Maybe it's more the fact that they have a dump ofa stadium and extremely poor advertising.
BMO Field is actually a much nicer venue for football than when they played at the SkyDome. It's much better for viewing a game than Edmonton, Calgary, or BC. The problem with Toronto, is that the CFL is viewed as a minor league. People in the city just do not support the team, like the community does in most other Canadian cities.

Last edited by BlackDog204; Aug 29, 2023 at 11:11 AM.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2023, 1:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atrial78 View Post
My experience has been that outside of Manitoba and Saskatchewan, Canadians don't care that much about the CFL or the NFL. Hockey is definitely up top and I could easily see soccer becoming number two very soon. It would be great to see some more MLS teams in Canada - easier to fill the stadiums too. Sorry, probably the unpopular opinion in this thread!
Unpopular in the sense that it's wrong, maybe?

Soccer was undergoing a bit of a boom phase but it seems to have stalled out. MLS has never really carved out a national following in Canada. For a while it seemed like Toronto FC was becoming a big deal in Toronto but that was short lived. I don't see MLS adding more Canadian teams because as with the other US leagues, adding Canadian teams doesn't do much for the bottom line. Meanwhile, the CPL has really only taken off in Halifax and even there it's modest. Hamilton is doing OK too. For a while Victoria looked like it would buy into the CPL but that has fizzled a bit.

I can see soccer continuing to take on more prominence in Canada (especially as the national teams progress and make noise at the World Cup) but it has a long way to go to reach number two.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2023, 2:44 AM

Everyone’s forgetting the new sheriff in town the CEBL. Well I guess not really new since BBall was invented here. Imo the basketball league is growing on a rapid trajectory. It feels like this country was starved for more professional basketball (definitely the case here). The play is pretty high quality and probably better then a lot of countries. Just look at how Canada is dominating the FIBA World Cup right now.

Also, CEBL can expand to cities that the CFL can’t seem to do. Halifax is definitely going to want in because of their basketball culture, and Quebec might want to put their state of the art arena in better use. If cities start putting their teams in the big league stadiums and filling them up like Winnipeg then who knows what the ceiling for that league is.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2023, 3:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Unpopular in the sense that it's wrong, maybe?
Haha, I'll be the first to admit, I could be completely wrong here. It was just my sense when I lived in BC and Ontario that people generally followed hockey as a professional sport or a league in another country (ie. NBA, English Premier League, etc.). Growing up, most kids played hockey, soccer, or basketball and that's generally what they watched too. Anecdotal experience of course.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2023, 4:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebasketballgeek View Post
Everyone’s forgetting the new sheriff in town the CEBL. Well I guess not really new since BBall was invented here. Imo the basketball league is growing on a rapid trajectory. It feels like this country was starved for more professional basketball (definitely the case here). The play is pretty high quality and probably better then a lot of countries. Just look at how Canada is dominating the FIBA World Cup right now.
Basketball has always been popular in Canada. I still remember the excitement, when Winnipeg was awarded a WBL team in 1992. They ended up averaging roughly 8,000 people for their games, and were a big success. The problem was the league folded midway through the season, in spite of the off-court success of the Winnipeg Thunder.

By the next season, many of the fans were put off by the fact that the Thunder were in a brand new league (that did not last long at all), and were hesitant to commit to buying tickets for a team in a league that may not even finish the season (indeed this happened, as the NBL folded midway through the 1994 season). The WBL pretty much killed off pro basketball in Winnipeg for the remainder of the 90s. Here is an interesting article I found from 1999, in regards to pro basketball in Winnipeg during the 90s:

https://www.oursportscentral.com/ser...ipeg/n-2707492

Last edited by BlackDog204; Aug 29, 2023 at 4:52 AM.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2023, 3:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atrial78 View Post
Haha, I'll be the first to admit, I could be completely wrong here. It was just my sense when I lived in BC and Ontario that people generally followed hockey as a professional sport or a league in another country (ie. NBA, English Premier League, etc.). Growing up, most kids played hockey, soccer, or basketball and that's generally what they watched too. Anecdotal experience of course.
I think soccer definitely has a following, just that it's very fragmented. Some only like to play, some watch local teams (MLS, CPL), some only watch teams from "the old country", some like prominent international clubs/stars, etc. I think soccer in Canada would have probably taken off had the largest cities been involved in a domestic league. But now we have this weird situation where the biggest cities tag along with MLS while everyone else has CPL. So MLS doesn't get much traction across Canada outside Tor/Mtl/Van, while the CPL is invisible in the big cities. It's probably good for MLS owner profitability but it's definitely not the way to build a soccer nation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDog204 View Post
Basketball has always been popular in Canada. I still remember the excitement, when Winnipeg was awarded a WBL team in 1992. They ended up averaging roughly 8,000 people for their games, and were a big success. The problem was the league folded midway through the season, in spite of the off-court success of the Winnipeg Thunder.

By the next season, many of the fans were put off by the fact that the Thunder were in a brand new league (that did not last long at all), and were hesitant to commit to buying tickets for a team in a league that may not even finish the season (indeed this happened, as the NBL folded midway through the 1994 season). The WBL pretty much killed off pro basketball in Winnipeg for the remainder of the 90s. Here is an interesting article I found from 1999, in regards to pro basketball in Winnipeg during the 90s:

https://www.oursportscentral.com/ser...ipeg/n-2707492
Yeah, the Thunder really had something going on there but the league imploded and that was that. The Cyclone tried to keep it going but it was pretty feeble... the Convention Centre had no atmosphere, and it felt very small-time even compared to the Thunder. It's actually somewhat amazing that it lasted as long as it did, the Cyclone were in business from 1995 to 2001 but other than when Dawkins signed on they never generated any buzz.

The CEBL seems like it is on much more solid footing... I get the impression they are doing things the right way.

Personally I hope that the excitement over basketball rubs off on the university teams. I can tell you my oldest kid is already keen on going to watch the Bisons play this season. Their playoff run last season was extremely exciting and they played to packed houses, even 3,000 fans can create a scene when they're jammed into a gym like IGAC.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2023, 7:50 PM

Quote:
Other than a team in Halifax, I am not really sure where the CFL could place a team. There are no adequate venues as far as I know in Quebec City, Kitchener, London, etc. Another problem is whether these medium sized Canadian cities would support a CFL team, especially in Southern Ontario.
I think once the east coast/Halifax team is launch the CFL would give serious consideration to Quebec City and Saskatoon as future cities. That would create a 12 team league with balanced east and west divisions. Yes Halifax, Quebec City and Saskatoon all do not currently have suitable facilities. All three have shown there is interested in football there and to varying levels they have shown support of the CFL. The challenge is getting the right ownership group in place to make the team happen. And specifically in the case of Saskatoon how to split northwest Saskatchewan from the Regina based Riders. And to a much lesser extent are the Bombers prepared to shift their labour day migration to Ottawa?

Quote:
BMO Field is actually a much nicer venue for football than when they played at the SkyDome. It's much better for viewing a game than Edmonton, Calgary, or BC. The problem with Toronto, is that the CFL is viewed as a minor league. People in the city just do not support the team, like the community does in most other Canadian cities.
I have heard the BMO Field being designed as a MLS facility that the CFL later moved into definitely has compromises but considering the hot mess that is IG Field which was purpose built for the CFL that isn't a bad thing. Also with the Argos now owned by Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment (aka essentially a joint venture of Bell and Rogers) there are some very deep pockets there to support team operations. In what I was seeing they were doing to promote the game day experience side of the Argos before the pandemic they definitely had good ideas. Hopefully as the pandemic fades they can get back on track.

I think the biggest challenge currently in terms of venues is Calgary. The team keeps looking for ways to get a new venue but if you thought the SkyDome was bad just waiting until the Stamps and Flames try to navigate building a single facility to look after both their needs.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2023, 8:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
I think once the east coast/Halifax team is launch the CFL would give serious consideration to Quebec City and Saskatoon as future cities.
The CFL will not give Saskatoon or Quebec City teams. For one thing, there is no venue that can accommodate the CFL in either city, nor is there any plans to build one. The idea that Saskatoon will be given a CFL team will never happen, due to the popularity of the Riders. Both cities are small in size, and a team in Saskatoon would arguably kill both teams.

As for Quebec, it's technically possible, but there is zero history of pro football in the city, and Montreal, with 5x the population, barely breaks even. The CFL will never expand to over 10 teams, simply due to the fact that there are always franchises that are struggling at the gate, and the league has not grown in the past 40 years.

Quote:
I have heard the BMO Field being designed as a MLS facility that the CFL later moved into definitely has compromises but considering the hot mess that is IG Field which was purpose built for the CFL that isn't a bad thing.
What on earth are you talking about lol? IG Field is arguably the best stadium to watch the CFL in Canada. What makes it a "hot mess?"

Old Posted Aug 31, 2023, 1:07 PM

Quote:
IG Field is arguably the best stadium to watch the CFL in Canada. What makes it a "hot mess?"
I haven't seen it in person yet but everything I have seen says Mosaic is what IG Field attempted to be.

In terms of IG Field, if we gloss over all the issues with the initial design that resulted in a major rebuild almost immediately to attempt to address the defects it has some long term short comings. The biggest being the majorly undersized concourses. There is also the long term impact of that failure meaning it is near impossible to add temporary seating as was included in the design spec. It will be interesting to see if it is attempted for the 2025 Grey Cup or the stadium is sold as permanent seating only. Also considering there are one or more events each year requiring the audience to shelter in place from weather there appears to be a lack of adequate capacity for that, see the undersized concourse issue. There is also seating issues in the lower bowl with some seats having such bad sight lines they are rarely sold.

But yeah "no issues" with IG Field.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2023, 1:50 PM

I just commented on the concourse issue in the Stadiums and Arenas thread in the Canada subforum... here's what I said:

Quote:
You see, I actually prefer the old-school no-view concourses.

IG Field has 100% open concourses in the lower bowl, and what this encourages is people standing around, crowding the concourses and making it nearly impossible to move around quickly at crush times (before/after kickoff and at halftime). A lot of people will buy cheap upper deck tickets and just stand around the Rum Hut patio. Which is fine, it's fun, but then you get a lot of empty seats even during a supposedly sell out game. If they had to do it over again, I'd prefer that IG Field had a second concourse level with a separate ticketed patio for those who want to experience the game that way.

I was at Emirates Stadium earlier this month for an Arsenal FC game and that stadium had enclosed concourses... so everyone finishes their drink right before kickoff (no beer in the stands) then goes to their seats. No concourse crowding, improved atmosphere. I loved it.
The best way to eliminate the congestion would be to enclose the main lower bowl concourse. Remove the incentive to stand around and force people to go to their seats if they want to see the game. (It should be stressed that this is only an issue for larger crowds, when the stadium is at about 90% or more of capacity.)

In terms of temporary seating, there were temporary seats added in 2015 for the Grey Cup and I'm not aware of any obstacles preventing that from happening again. But it does seem that the CFL is not really that keen on adding more "cheap seats"... these days if they add any capacity for Grey Cup games it's usually in the form of premium seating.

I have noticed some seats in the lower bowl tend to be the last to sell but that is a function of pricing rather than sight lines. It's those seats in the corners, just past the goal line. Usually the most expensive and cheapest tickets sell fastest, and it's those ones in the middle of the price list which tend to be last to go. There is nothing wrong with the views from there.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2023, 1:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
I think once the east coast/Halifax team is launch the CFL would give serious consideration to Quebec City and Saskatoon as future cities. That would create a 12 team league with balanced east and west divisions. Yes Halifax, Quebec City and Saskatoon all do not currently have suitable facilities. All three have shown there is interested in football there and to varying levels they have shown support of the CFL. The challenge is getting the right ownership group in place to make the team happen. And specifically in the case of Saskatoon how to split northwest Saskatchewan from the Regina based Riders. And to a much lesser extent are the Bombers prepared to shift their labour day migration to Ottawa?

I have heard the BMO Field being designed as a MLS facility that the CFL later moved into definitely has compromises but considering the hot mess that is IG Field which was purpose built for the CFL that isn't a bad thing. Also with the Argos now owned by Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment (aka essentially a joint venture of Bell and Rogers) there are some very deep pockets there to support team operations. In what I was seeing they were doing to promote the game day experience side of the Argos before the pandemic they definitely had good ideas. Hopefully as the pandemic fades they can get back on track.

I think the biggest challenge currently in terms of venues is Calgary. The team keeps looking for ways to get a new venue but if you thought the SkyDome was bad just waiting until the Stamps and Flames try to navigate building a single facility to look after both their needs.
Breaking up the greatest rivalry the league has, in Winnipeg vs Saskatchewan Labour Day/Banjo Bowl, would be the dumbest thing the league could do. Ruin the best thing they have.

And although IGF had many and obvious problems with the design and construction, I love the place.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2023, 2:00 PM

Quote:
I just commented on the concourse issue in the Stadiums and Arenas thread in the Canada subforum... here's what I said:

The best way to eliminate the congestion would be to enclose the main lower bowl concourse. Remove the incentive to stand around and force people to go to their seats if they want to see the game. (It should be stressed that this is only an issue for larger crowds, when the stadium is at about 90% or more of capacity.)

In terms of temporary seating, there were temporary seats added in 2015 for the Grey Cup and I'm not aware of any obstacles preventing that from happening again. But it does seem that the CFL is not really that keen on adding more "cheap seats"... these days if they add any capacity for Grey Cup games it's usually in the form of premium seating.

I have noticed some seats in the lower bowl tend to be the last to sell but that is a function of pricing rather than sight lines. It's those seats in the corners, just past the goal line. Usually the most expensive and cheapest tickets sell fastest, and it's those ones in the middle of the price list which tend to be last to go. There is nothing wrong with the views from there.
One of the main selling features of IGF is the open concourse. They just need to do a better job of keeping a walkway aisle clear. I assume they've though long and hard about what to do and have resisted installing barricades or other crowd control measures for some reason.

We talk a lot about the rum hut and people standing around. But is it REALLY an issue in the Bombers eyes? They're making big bucks off it, have accommodated no alcohol sections at the opposite end of the stadium.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2023, 2:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
One of the main selling features of IGF is the open concourse. They just need to do a better job of keeping a walkway aisle clear. I assume they've though long and hard about what to do and have resisted installing barricades or other crowd control measures for some reason.

We talk a lot about the rum hut and people standing around. But is it REALLY an issue in the Bombers eyes? They're making big bucks off it, have accommodated no alcohol sections at the opposite end of the stadium.
Shaw Park had massive concourse crowding in the early years but that problem tailed off over time. I'm not sure if it was just a function of smaller crowds (as compared to constant sellouts the first 5 years) or if it was something else like the addition of barriers to keep lines from spilling into the walkway areas.

It is what it is with the Rum Hut. The Bombers are clearly happy with the arrangement and I'm sure it brings out a certain type of fan who otherwise probably wouldn't be there. But from a stadium design standpoint it would have been much better had there been a second level patio on top of the existing north end concourse... that could be the place to stand around and watch the game from, while people use the existing concourse to get to and from places in the stadium.

I guess another way that the issue could be improved is by requiring (or even just encouraging) people to enter via the gate closest to their seats. Going around the stadium on the outside involves sets of stairs going up and down and most people just won't bother with it... they go in the nearest gate and then walk to their section, which leads to congestion.

All this being said, the concourse does get choked when there are big crowds but I would not say that it is appreciably worse than most other similar venues when they are sold out. Canada Life Centre concourses get slammed at intermission (particularly the lower bowl) but no one really gripes about that.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2023, 7:53 PM

TruViking has covered all the flaws with IG Field years ago.

The concourse is undersized. It would have helped if it was another 5 - 7 feet wider. That doesn't sound like much but if the entire continuous concourse is around 1500 feet that would add nearly 10,000 square feet which is significant.

The stadium is now in its 11th year. I would think the turf will have to be replaced before the city hosts the 2025 Grey Cup. The two big screens are also getting long in the tooth as well. I would think signs of degradation would start to appear at this point. I wonder how much it would cost to replace them? $5 million? $10 million?

Old Posted Aug 31, 2023, 8:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
TruViking has covered all the flaws with IG Field years ago.

The concourse is undersized. It would have helped if it was another 5 - 7 feet wider. That doesn't sound like much but if the entire continuous concourse is around 1500 feet that would add nearly 10,000 square feet which is significant.

The stadium is now in its 11th year. I would think the turf will have to be replaced before the city hosts the 2025 Grey Cup. The two big screens are also getting long in the tooth as well. I would think signs of degradation would start to appear at this point. I wonder how much it would cost to replace them? $5 million? $10 million?
The concourse could have definitely been a bit wider. But reducing the number of people who stand around could mitigate that greatly. Just adding a ring of suites or a few rows of seats at the top of the 100s to block the sightlines would probably work wonders.

The rug definitely needs replacement, that's past due and it will be embarrassing if it doesn't happen in time for the Grey Cup.

The jumbotrons are only 11 years old which is not that old, but I guess at a certain point they will get too old to service. Maybe another 5-10 years? I wonder if the scoreboard towers were designed to handle easy replacement one day?

I would love to see new and improved lighting at some point. The existing setup is not bad, but some more lighting outside the stadium on surrounding street/paths and on the exterior (architectural features like the arch) would be nice. LED lights with the ability to change colour would be good.

Landscaping around the stadium could certainly be improved... the north area around the Cal Murphy statue and bike valet is terrible.

I'm not sure about what if anything needs to be improved behind the scenes, though.

For what it's worth the stadium is being maintained fairly well. A lot more so than the old one was.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2023, 8:34 PM

Quote:
Re the open concourse. It has been a few years since I saw it but I recall the NHL arena in Glendale had a similar open concourse design. When the game was one they drew heavy curtains across closing off the view from the concourse. Something similar would definitely address the issue. In the upper decks of IG Field where you cannot see the field from the concourse the number of people at say intermission v when the game is on is night and day difference.

In terms of capacity on the lower concourse, it is an issue when you hit about 50% capacity best I can tell. Some of the Bomber games were about 2/3 capacity in attendance and the concourse was still an issue before the game. Considering people arrive late or even just no showed some of those dark years that would mean the issues start popping at less than 66%.

Quote:
In terms of temporary seating, there were temporary seats added in 2015 for the Grey Cup and I'm not aware of any obstacles preventing that from happening again.
The cost to add the temporary seating and the amount of time needed to add them. I also cannot recall the specific issue from 2015 but I do recall that there was some issue and it was not possible to put in the temporary seating the way it had been originally planned. I think maybe the original plan was to build bleachers on the roof sections of either end zone but the load of the bleachers and occupants would have exceeded the maximum built load of the structure in those areas so instead they had to construct a massive temporary structure instead.

Quote:
The lower bowl seats in the corners have horrible sight lines, that is the #1 issue with them. You are way behind the goal line to start and then they are positioned to look more across the field than down the field. That part is a functional issue and why a lot of stadiums don't include seats in that exact area. To compound the issue you can either move over to on the goal line for an extra $4, the end zone looking down the field for $30 less or center field in the upped deck for $15 less. Even when the team is giving away tickets to large groups they don't use those horrible seats.

Quote:
I assume they've though long and hard about what to do and have resisted installing barricades or other crowd control measures for some reason.
The most aggressive the Bombers got with crowd control is when the additional seating for the Grey Cup was in place. From memory they had dedicated lanes and directions of travel on the ground. They also had staff or volunteers watching and telling people that stopped that they needed to keep moving. Doing something like the green paint for cycling paths and encouraging people move from the "red" walking area to the "yellow" transition areas where you also cannot stand and talk would help. They could then have a "green" it is okay to stand here area. The other piece I think would help is if the area closest to the lower bowl seating was a "no standing in game time" area. When the play is happening you can be there but then you are either moving to your seat or moving on to another section. If the team established a "no standing" policy for the concourse when the game is happening it would clean up a lot of what happens.

Quote:
Considering the number of alcohol service stations in the north end zone (Rum Hut) seems to increase every season it is clear the team is all in on that. Personally I think they should make the roof area over the Rum Hut and other north end zone area into a "Rum Hut VIP zone". Sell a fixed number of standing room tickets to the upper deck and only let those people in. Make it an exclusive club. I also know that since IG Field opened they removed north end zone seats to expand the Rum Hut area and for at least one season they had permanently installed some tables there.

I think what the team needs to do is establish three zones in the Rum Hut area. A service zone where you are buying drinks, etc., a standing zone in the middle, and a hard barriered and actively enforced "no standing" pass through walkway. Then for the standing area they work to maintain some level of count over capacity there. I am not sure exactly how to make that work but it is definitely a safety issue as-is and runs against the minimum 6 ft² required for a valid LGCA license and is likely in violation of the Office of the Fire Commissioner occupancy as well.

Quote:
Canada Life Centre concourses get slammed at intermission (particularly the lower bowl) but no one really gripes about that.
It is somewhat ironic you compare the concourse issues at IG Field to Canada Life Centre considering that CLC also has major design compromises so it could be located at the exact site it was and replacing the derelict Eaton's building. The largest of the compromises made with CLC was intentionally undersizing the concourses relative to the capacity of the building.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2023, 2:12 AM

Speaking of Cal Murphy i have a couple of good stories about him. First one was in 1996 and I was so excited we had just won a big game I think Kent Austin was our QB and the game wasn't on tv because of the stupid blackout rule. So my mum said why don't you call the Bombers to congratulate them. I am 12 years old at the time and didn't think anyone would answer my call but believe it or not Cal took my call and chatted with me for a good 10 or 12 minutes just the nicest guy like a friendly grandfather in a worthers original commercial. I was intimated at first knowing the other side of "kindly cal" and worried he might chew this dumb kid out. 2nd time was either 2004 or 2005 i am working security for the Bombers in charge of looking after the 50'50 money and bringing it to the blue and gold room from the north end zone. Well Chris Walby walks in says hi there big man (I am 5'11 180 lbs) and then Stegaĺl came in was friendly after the game and then Cal comes in with these old dusty Blue Bombers playbooks from like the 1984 Grey Cup run and showing us all how the plays should have been called that night it was just so cool and I always had a soft spot for him as to me he really represents what Winnipeg is, its not pretty but its what real people are town of the little guy.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2023, 9:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
Speaking of Cal Murphy i have a couple of good stories about him. First one was in 1996 and I was so excited we had just won a big game I think Kent Austin was our QB and the game wasn't on tv because of the stupid blackout rule. So my mum said why don't you call the Bombers to congratulate them. I am 12 years old at the time and didn't think anyone would answer my call but believe it or not Cal took my call and chatted with me for a good 10 or 12 minutes just the nicest guy like a friendly grandfather in a worthers original commercial. I was intimated at first knowing the other side of "kindly cal" and worried he might chew this dumb kid out. 2nd time was either 2004 or 2005 i am working security for the Bombers in charge of looking after the 50'50 money and bringing it to the blue and gold room from the north end zone. Well Chris Walby walks in says hi there big man (I am 5'11 180 lbs) and then Stegaĺl came in was friendly after the game and then Cal comes in with these old dusty Blue Bombers playbooks from like the 1984 Grey Cup run and showing us all how the plays should have been called that night it was just so cool and I always had a soft spot for him as to me he really represents what Winnipeg is, its not pretty but its what real people are town of the little guy.
That is pretty cool. Tom Clements led us to the Grey Cup in 1984, and was arguably the best QB in the CFL in the mid 80s

I remember when those crackheads broke into Chris Walby's house when he was away and stole his Grey Cup ring. He got it back after a couple of weeks, when they were arrested.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2023, 2:33 PM

Quote:
That is pretty cool. Tom Clements led us to the Grey Cup in 1984, and was arguably the best QB in the CFL in the mid 80s
Tom was amazing. We got him from Hamilton when we traded Dieter Brock. The following year we faced Hamilton with Dieter as QB and won the Cup.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2023, 4:00 PM

Quote:
The CFL will not give Saskatoon or Quebec City teams. For one thing, there is no venue that can accommodate the CFL in either city, nor is there any plans to build one. The idea that Saskatoon will be given a CFL team will never happen, due to the popularity of the Riders. Both cities are small in size, and a team in Saskatoon would arguably kill both teams.

As for Quebec, it's technically possible, but there is zero history of pro football in the city, and Montreal, with 5x the population, barely breaks even. The CFL will never expand to over 10 teams, simply due to the fact that there are always franchises that are struggling at the gate, and the league has not grown in the past 40 years.

What on earth are you talking about lol? IG Field is arguably the best stadium to watch the CFL in Canada. What makes it a "hot mess?"
One thing QC has going for it is the strong support for CIS football. One of the strongest in the country at that level. Is there a market in Canada that supports CIS football better than QC? Maybe western? Waterloo?

It’s moot because no stadium or imminence of one in the near future but I think QC could work as a market and surprise people - give them a pro team and something to cheer for it could really benefit a town of sports hungry fans

Larger Market Size itself is not a strong point, Montreal may be much larger but so is toronto to every other market including Hamilton where support for the cfl is relatively strong yet it’s 40 mins away

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan