HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted May 20, 2016, 4:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muertecaza View Post
My understanding is that there are no current plans to develop the other two parcels. When the entire parcel (from Mill to Myrtle) went into foreclosure in the Recession, it was split up. This developer owns the middle portion, and someone else owns the portions fronting Mill and Myrtle. They apparently tried to come to an agreement to develop the whole thing, but couldn't get a deal done. So the developer is attempting to move forward with the middle portion.
I'm cool with this. I'd personally rather have three unique projects one day than one mega project. Plus those parcels are rather small and will require some good density to make development economically viable.

Old Posted May 25, 2016, 4:29 PM

Both the Standard and the Foundry passed the DRC last night. Video is here.

http://tempe.granicus.com/MediaPlaye...6&clip_id=2354

Old Posted May 26, 2016, 11:01 PM

Thumbs up Tempe Biomedical Campus

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/n...mpus-next.html

Quote:
The city of Tempe is considering four proposals to develop 20 acres next to the Tempe Center for the Arts into a biomedical or biotechnology campus.

Tempe received bids from:

• Ryan Cos. (which is part of the Marina Heights development on Tempe Town Lake)

• Conor Commercial Real Estate

• a bid involving Boyer Co., SmithGroupJJR and Okland Construction

• a proposal from Liberty Property Trust, Westpace Development Corp. and RSP.

The land is west of the arts center off Rio Salado Parkway near Hardy Drive.

Tempe spokeswoman Melissa Quillard said the bids are still being evaluated by the city. She did not have a timeframe yet when a winning bid would be picked and forwarded to the city council.

Old Posted May 27, 2016, 1:30 AM

Tempe is looking to redevelop Danelle Plaza (SW corner of Mill/Southern) into mixed-use, low-income housing.

http://www.tempe.gov/city-hall/inter...itation-status

http://d0a5726d3848a57dbf55-f9b6e4a1...3.14_Acres.pdf

RFQ indicates that Yucca Tap Room hasn't agreed to sell, and I seriously hope they don't, I love that place. But redeveloping the corner in such a way that allowed some of the existing businesses to stay might not be bad.

Old Posted May 27, 2016, 1:39 PM

Quote:
I am surprised there were four bids. Seems like a bit of a tough sell. Probably won't ever see much come of it, just like the Athletic district.

Anyone heard anything at all on any the stalled tower projects (the Pier, the sr. project next to it, University & forest, etc)?

Any pics of Jefferson Town Lake?

Old Posted May 27, 2016, 4:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXFlyer11 View Post
I am surprised there were four bids. Seems like a bit of a tough sell. Probably won't ever see much come of it, just like the Athletic district.

Anyone heard anything at all on any the stalled tower projects (the Pier, the sr. project next to it, University & forest, etc)?

Any pics of Jefferson Town Lake?
I know Villas at Southbank's (the sr. project) entitlements expired this month. That was after getting a 2-year extension back in 2014. I'm not holding my breath on that one. Given that they didn't ask for another extension or apply for a building permit, it seems dead.

Don't know anything on the other two, but I know they have more time to start building.

Old Posted May 28, 2016, 8:56 PM

The Jefferson just finished some utility relocation. They still have a trailer and equipment on site will probably be going vertical soon.

Only 4 companies? Since all of those companies have serious track records I do believe they can put something decent together. This parcel isn't that large. I just question how the region will support three campuses (DT PHX, Desert Ridge and now Tempe). I had always wanted Tempe to beat Phoenix do this sort of thing. Why they haven't pursued a medical school or research facility during the recession is beyond me but I guess better late than never. Again I think there is a chance they could poach some potential companies from Phoenix as I believe Tempe is a bit more dynamic.

And the Stadium District is still happening from my understanding. This past year has been dealt with planning and soliciting a planner. So that person's statement about nothing has been happening is really ignorant. The first phase is starting next year and it is a 20 year project....

Old Posted May 28, 2016, 9:04 PM

Also I wish I could get some pic updates....University Village is still standing/ McClintock Station has been cleared, fenced and it looks like they are starting some utility work/ The Grove- whatever its called now is at least on its 5th or 6th floor and moving fast/ Also I think Villas is dead because ASU is now going to develop their own Senior Tower at Mill and University.

Old Posted May 31, 2016, 5:05 PM

Tempe OKs development deal for Hayden Mill

Nice to see this getting traction! Unfortunate that this will be a phased approach, with the hotel being constructed in the final phase. Construction is not expected to begin until early 2018

http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/...mill/84997044/

Old Posted May 31, 2016, 6:09 PM

That's too bad about the phasing. Seems like it will be a looong time until anything could even ideally be done. But here's hoping they're able to keep some momentum until 2018.

Of note from City Council last week, the Maxwell has an uphill climb. It's second public hearing and vote was supposed to be last week, but it was postponed to the next meeting in June. The owner of 707 S. Forest filed an official legal protest, based on the impact that the Maxwell would have on the development plans for 707 S. Forest. As a result, the Maxwell has to get a 3/4 vote (6 out of 7) in order to win approval. It sounds like they are doing their best to reach a consensus with the Council members, but they're not there yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjs5056 View Post
I appreciate your efforts, but it will fall on deaf ears. My letters to the Council caught the attention of the project's lawyer who asked me to come speak in support.

So I attended, and spoke at, the council meeting. Prior to me, several business owners pleaded for more residential to be allowed. I focused on the fact that it becomes a simple economics and math exercise when evaluating the crucial need for Tempe to develop denser permanent housing to support retail beyond bars and restaurants that cater to students. I mentioned Tempe voters having bought into a true urban core through the passage of several public projects. And, I mentioned that the City is throwing all of those new State Farm workers straight to Scottsdale. The only response? 1 question: "why would this be successful when Hanover is X% occupied?" my answer: "i have not been employed by the developer to research whether there is sufficient demand, but I imagine they see something if they are fighting for its success. Oh, and Hanover is a disaster of a building."

The opinions they listened to were a combo of "you'll price us out of the neighborhood," "it's too tall!," "traffic. parking.," etc. Nearly everyone was asked what they'd prefer to see there and more than one said they prefer a vacant lot to this kind of project. They were also asked what height they thought it should be, which is ridiculous and an insult to the developer who chose the height based on what works out financially. Answers ranged from 0-9.
Jjs5056, the NIMBYs are watching you . A speaker at the City Council meeting got up at the end to air his displeasure at the Council approving 6 townhomes at 9th and Wilson. In speaking, he mentioned that he lurks on this forum, and saw this comment about you being contacted by the attorney in the Farmer Arts project.

Old Posted May 31, 2016, 6:49 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
Lol you need to relax, the Mill is ugly, and like the circles records buildings its reaching the point where we need to weigh if its worth keeping it or not.

If they cant get a renovation off the ground we should clear it and move on.

You must really be disappointed, huh?

Old Posted May 31, 2016, 7:31 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
the NIMBYs are watching you . A speaker at the City Council meeting got up at the end to air his displeasure at the Council approving 6 townhomes at 9th and Wilson. In speaking, he mentioned that he lurks on this forum, and saw this comment about you being contacted by the attorney in the Farmer Arts project.
Anyone can watch back by lurking in the Maple Ash Farmer Wilson neighborhood Facebook group. In fact, someone just posted this today:

"I bet the skyscraper fanboys are strokin' it so hard right now in their forum."

Old Posted May 31, 2016, 8:33 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
Anyone can watch back by lurking in the Maple Ash Farmer Wilson neighborhood Facebook group. In fact, someone just posted this today:

"I bet the skyscraper fanboys are strokin' it so hard right now in their forum."
That's uncanny! I just rubbed one out.

Old Posted May 31, 2016, 9:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdpx View Post

It is unfortunate, especially seeing how this plan will likely fall through and the mill will continue to blight Tempe for years to come. Someone just needs to taking a wrecking ball to it and be done.

Old Posted May 31, 2016, 10:26 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeway View Post
It is unfortunate, especially seeing how this plan will likely fall through and the mill will continue to blight Tempe for years to come. Someone just needs to taking a wrecking ball to it and be done.
Well thought out.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2016, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post

Basically it's like the same 5-6 losers continually complaining about "rich" and "luxury" developments. So we can't have a boutique hotel now? They expect developers to want to create "low-income housing" in Downtown Tempe. That'll really attract more investment and businesses to Tempe. What a joke. Clearly they don't understand that these type of developments create jobs and bring businesses and visitors to town that in turn spend their money in Tempe at the very bars, restaurants, smoke shops, tattoo parlors and record stores they work at. Hence, these businesses survive and they can continue to live in Tempe.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2016, 3:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdpx View Post

Why would I be disappointed, I would hope it gets renovated but it seems like a lot of work without much pay off.

I really don't expect the project to come through and then the mill will sit there for who knows how long.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2016, 8:22 PM

Papago Grand not wasting any time.

EDIT: also, the multi-family component of the Grand is going up to the DRC this month:

http://www.tempe.gov/home/showdocument?id=41517

The most recent renderings from ORB Architecture's site (dated 3/16/2016) are here:

It's too bad that everything in the Grand seems to be oriented toward the Grand Canal, and is turning its back on Washington and the light rail.

Last edited by muertecaza; Jun 1, 2016 at 11:34 PM.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2016, 5:19 PM
BANNED

Apartments, Retail & Offices Planned in First Phase of ASU Athletics Facility District

http://brewaz.com/hot-news/apartment...lity-district/

Old Posted Jun 3, 2016, 2:04 PM

Papago Grand

It looks like they've ditched plans for the Dam inspired water feature. It's now just a traffic circle with the canal going through it and some trees planted.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest