HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

The Trillium on South Park in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Halifax Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Jun 11, 2008, 3:03 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Sure, Sloane had a petition signed by 90 residents. That's 0.6% of her district and only a small fraction of the people living even within two blocks of the proposed development. I don't believe for a second that her vote was directed solely based on public input and had nothing to do with her own personal opinions and biases. I have no fundamental problem with that except for the fact that she personally exhibits a lack of overall understanding and perspective. The downtown would be much better served by a councillor who understands the big picture and is not just directed by emotional appeals from lower-middle class homeowners.

That guy who questioned the motives of everybody for the proposal just came off as a jerk and he got a public warning in response. And like Keith P. said, it's not as if he doesn't have private motives of his own.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2008, 10:26 AM

Despite opposition, council OKs tower

By AMY PUGSLEY FRASER City Hall Reporter
Wed. Jun 11 - 5:28 AM

The excavators could be making room for a new 19-storey building in downtown Halifax this fall after regional council approved a new development for South Park Street.

After a lengthy public hearing Tuesday night that drew 30 people to city hall, councillors gave Wadih Fares’s "Trillium" building the go-ahead for the corner of Brenton Street.

The hearing — which took up so much of council’s four-hour meeting time that it had to defer most of the agenda items until next week — brought out a mix of people who were almost exactly evenly split in their opinions on the building.

Some favoured its stepped-back design, its potential to bring new residents into the downtown area and the beauty of its front-facing wall of glass.

Opponents lamented the shadows it would cast over the nearby Public Gardens and Victoria Park, and the fact it would tower over the many single-family homes in the neighbouring 200-year-old heritage district some call Schmidtville.

After listening to the speakers, councillors voted 21-1 in favour of the development proposal.

The only dissenter was Coun. Dawn Sloane (Halifax Downtown), whose district will be home to the building.

She based her decision, she said, on the wishes of the people she represents.

Some were concerned about the fate of three historic homes on the building lot whose heritage designation has been applied for but not approved.

The developer has said he would pay to relocate the homes if a suitable placement could be found.

Still, Ms. Sloane said she was "betwixt and between" on making a decision. "Unfortunately, the citizens in my neighbourhood, who have signed a petition with 90 names, told me that they don’t want this in their neighbourhood."

Coun. Sheila Fougere (Connaught-Quinpool) told council she had lived four doors down from the property when she was first married.

It has been little more than a "filthy corner" and a "derelict slum" since then, she said.

"At one point (the three homes) may have been beautiful buildings . . . but they have been quasi-rooming houses surrounded by a dirt parking lot for in excess of 25 years.

"If that’s the kind of stability we want to see in the neighbourhood, that frightens me."

She also said the building’s design could counter the potential of increased wind in the area, a concern raised by several of the speakers during the hearing.

"We have better technology now, there’s better design to mitigate those kinds of issues than when Park Victoria was built, and we’ve seen by the evidence provided to us that has been accounted for in this particular design."

During Tuesday night’s hearing, a few people referred to challenges from heritage groups to downtown development.

"I, as with many, simply abhor the anti-highrise development rhetoric offered by the self-interested few," Patrick LeRoy of Elliott Avenue said.

"But this development would be a further step forward in ensuring revitalization of our urban core."

In an interview, the developer — who said he was surprised by the overwhelming vote in favour of his project — said he’s hopeful that heritage and development can work together.

"It is too bad that always heritage comes out as an adversary to us," Mr. Fares said after the meeting. "I believe there is room for us to work together."

That hope may not be realized too soon.

Phil Pacey, president of Heritage Trust, said after the meeting that the group will continue its battle to support heritage properties.

"We will fight for heritage in this city with every breath that we have. We will not give up. The heritage of this city is far more important than some members of council realize."

( apugsley@herald.ca)

’We will fight for heritage in this city with every breath that we have. We will not give up.’

PHIL PACEYHeritage Trust president

Old Posted Jun 11, 2008, 10:35 AM

Well the silly HT better get moving (albeit i have no clue what the grounds will be), i believe the time for appeal is now 14 business days.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2008, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdm View Post
As for HT, they really didn't have anything to stand on with regards to the appeal of the twisted sisters, but still did it. Now that project is in jepordy in ever being built because of the long duration to be approved.
Just a little nit pick... I know the term has probably stuck... but I wish supporters of the united gulf towers would stop using the term "twisted sisters".

Old Posted Jun 11, 2008, 1:59 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo View Post
Just a little nit pick... I know the term has probably stuck... but I wish supporters of the united gulf towers would stop using the term "twisted sisters".
I think the problem is that most people don't realize that "Twisted Sisters" was a name that was created by the HT and intended to be derogatory toward the project. It doesn't sound all that bad (every time I hear it I think of Dee Snider and the "were not gonna take it" song), and in the absence of a formal name for the project, the media started using it and it stuck.

Last edited by phrenic; Jun 11, 2008 at 2:13 PM.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2008, 2:11 PM

Twisted Sisters is probably the more well known name, and I have no problem with it.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2008, 3:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
I was there tonight. I spoke after Elizabeth Pacey. It was a very interesting debate thats for sure. I was a little worried since there seemed to be a lot of speakers against it. Even though most of their arguments made no sense, and I'm glad that some councilors pointed that out, and voted for the development. Although I must say I was terribly insulted by the man making comments about Toronto, and then took a stab at my education. He called me an architecture student.....I'm sorry, but if you are going to be that rude and insult someone, at least get it right! I'm a planning student, quite a big difference.

As far as sloan goes, well she's always a wildcard. And I do happen to have a friend who will be running against her in the fall election. He's a great guy and could do a lot of good for this city I think.

I think I saw you there. Did Linda Mosher come down to talk to you during the break?

Old Posted Jun 11, 2008, 3:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfx_chris View Post
Twisted Sisters is probably the more well known name, and I have no problem with it.
Personally... I don't use it. Sounds derogatory to me. But whatever.

Last edited by Takeo; Jun 11, 2008 at 4:19 PM.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2008, 4:43 PM
Dartmouth Girl

Hey everyone, glad to hear this got the go-ahead.

I wasn't able to get the word out on the facebook group as I was dealing with the typical stuff involved with moving and seeing a friend off to Texas (yee-haw!) However I've gone and updated the facebook group with the article from the Herald, as well as photos with all the elevations, lighting renders, and those magnificent day and night renders from Fares.

I really hope this spurs a little more positive thinking towards more development on the penninsula... Now if we can only get United Gulf to get their act together and start....

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=34319930634

Old Posted Jun 12, 2008, 12:55 AM

Yah, that was me Haliguy. She came up and told me I did good and I should join fusion halifax. Where were you sitting?

Old Posted Jun 12, 2008, 1:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdm View Post
’We will fight for heritage in this city with every breath that we have. We will not give up.’

PHIL PACEY Heritage Trust president
*shudder*

Happy this got approved though!

Old Posted Jun 12, 2008, 2:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
Yah, that was me Haliguy. She came up and told me I did good and I should join fusion halifax. Where were you sitting?
I was sitting towards the back of the room. I didn't stay for the whole thing.

Yeah you should join Fusion. There many different groups within Fusion..one being a group focused on Urban Development.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2008, 6:27 PM

Some pictures of the site (by me today):

Walking up Victoria Park. This really proves there is another highrise on that block.

The three houses to be moved.

I'm not sure how far back this building will streatch but the orange colored building in the first picture is the end of the block. Can't wait to see a crane here!!

Old Posted Jun 12, 2008, 10:29 PM

Certainly a good infill, now just build an anchor building at the corner of spring and south park and we are talking density.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2008, 1:32 AM

Hopefully some proposal will come up there soon. If not City Pizza could be rebuilt dropping the chances of a proposal. At that corner theres DQ, City Pizza, and one or two homes similar to the ones being moved for the "Trillium".

Old Posted Jun 13, 2008, 1:53 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Yes, something at Spring Garden and South Park would be good.

Not all of those houses are run down rooming houses. A couple are still in good condition and should be preserved. I also really like the little black house on the corner of Brenton and hope they are able to find a new site for it. It really is a piece of the "old Halifax" that I'm quite fond of, although I don't think it alone is worth holding back a major development for the much larger overall site.

It would be nice if developers got into the habit of shuffling these old houses around to fill in some older neighbourhoods while areas like Spring Garden Road see some modern infill. Lots of streets are missing a house here or there. Of course, there are complicated issues to resolve in terms of land ownership and parking.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2008, 5:27 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

So has the 14 day appeal period passed for this?

Old Posted Jul 1, 2008, 8:16 PM

Are they moving those houses for real? Or was that just talk? Has this even been done in Halifax? If they really are moving them... that would be very cool.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2008, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
So has the 14 day appeal period passed for this?
from my knowledge the clock starts as soon as HRM advertises its approval. After that if someone wishes to appeal the development they have 14 business days (was 14 days prior, but my understanding that has been changed).

Old Posted Jul 13, 2008, 3:22 PM

There was notification of approval in the paper yesterday. So does that mean we still have 14 days to wait?

On another note, perhaps the thread name could be changed, as we now know this is The Trillium.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth