HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Feb 11, 2018, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
I don’t think anybody denies this, but I do think the replacement for the Rock n Roll McD’s is kind of an insult to the city. I mean, they DO NOT need a parking lot at that location.
Wait - it's going to have a parking lot? I didn't see one in the renderings. Is it going to be smaller than the old one?

Old Posted Feb 11, 2018, 7:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Chicago View Post
You can laugh! But, that's what she told me.

Based on the nature of the conversation I had with her (I told her about this website and our concerns), she was trying to reassure me, that the MCD is being intentionally designed to fit in well with the urban fabric of the West Loop.
If you made a McDonald’s where the food wasn’t disgusting, it wouldn’t be a McDonald’s.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Feb 11, 2018, 7:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
If you made a McDonald’s where the food wasn’t disgusting, it wouldn’t be a McDonald’s.
In a few countries, they have some pretty good offerings and much better than American McDonald's standards. I do not like McDonald's minus their fries, but I've had it in a few countries that was loads better than the US. I've also had it in some countries that was even worse than the US. Hit or miss it seems.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2018, 8:49 PM
Show me the blueprints

Quote:
By the way, McDonalds in India is gooooooood.... I love the menu there

_

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Feb 11, 2018, 9:14 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
^ Couldnt agree more. River North needs a non-commercial space for people to congregate. A park/plaza really needs to be created before all the developable land gets gobbled up.

I had hoped that something of the sort would've been part of the One Chicago Square development. That would be a prime location for such a thing: across from Holy Name, near the nexus of Chicago and State,near transit, etc. Oh well...
Yeah, I think the city was smart to create Bartelme Park in West Loop while there was still an opportunity to do so. I'm not wild about the design but it can always be upgraded now that the land is public.

I agree that the city *should* take actions to preserve a large site in River North for public space, but I'd even be okay with a network of smaller pocket parks provided they are designed carefully. I had high hopes for the one at Wells and Superior, but it's obviously meant to be nothing more than a dog run and a patio for Left Coast. It would be so much better if they just removed the damn fence around it, and made it more like the (great) little pocket plazas at Franklin/Randolph or Madison/Dearborn.

Side note: Google Maps displays the typical American bias of only displaying landscaped, green spaces, managed by the Park District, as "green" on the map. You would never know about Daley Plaza or Exelon Plaza, for example, or Pioneer Court. As usual, hardscaped spaces (especially those that are privately managed) don't get proper recognition for the valuable role they play in their neighborhoods.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2018, 9:52 PM

Quote:
By the way, McDonalds in India is gooooooood.... I love the menu there
I’ve never had it, nor do I really trust your opinion, but if true it’s probably because McDonald’s is an entirely different restaurant in India.

McDonald’s is a burger place, but they don’t have burgers in India. Good or not, it’s not really McDonald’s.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Feb 11, 2018, 11:40 PM
The City

^ Im pretty sure you wouldn't like it. I mean it's still fast food. But the menu and flavors are way different. I don't hate fast food quite to the degree you do

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Feb 12, 2018, 4:16 AM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Not entirely sure it belongs here or not, but hey, it's at least kind of development news!

There's a new brewery opening up shortly along Ravenswood in Malt Row, appropriately called Urban Renewal Brewing. Over in the same building as Koval Distillery is currently located in. Most importantly, yours truly just happens to be the new Sales and Distribution Manager for this new brewery! What could be better? Craft beer with a name that absolutely pays homage to Chicago's continuing renewal and redevelopment!

I apologize for the shameless self-promotion.

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted Feb 12, 2018, 5:10 AM
Urbane observer

Quote:
Had the community spent less time fixating on traffic, they could have negotiated something more substantial from the One Chicago Square project.
You're dreaming.

It's only a three-acre block, and once you put two towers with reasonable floor plans there, there's hardly enough left for a basketball court.

I used to think new neighborhoods needed real parks, but it's become obvious that the only thing old-fashioned parks—the ones with grass and trees—are used for nowadays is to empty apartment-dwellers' dogs. Those facilities are best as 3000-square-foot rectangles, distributed one or two per block.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2018, 6:09 AM

Quote:
The Post Office is another one.

Ultimately I see a Park being part of a package that includes a highrise. Similar to the One Bennett Park deal out in Streeterville.

Had the community spent less time fixating on traffic, they could have negotiated something more substantial from the One Chicago Square project.
If you want something tangible to reference, the city's Central Area Plan of '03 acknowledged the lack of public space in RN and suggested the oft-mentioned post office as a park location (FWIW, mostly green space based on the mock image). The plan went into additional detail on space throughout the core. That is the most recent document I know of, but maybe someone else knows of more recent thinking from the city or a newer central area planning framework...???

In addition to smaller spaces added throughout the growing high-density core, I would like to see the City investigate at least one larger space (maybe along the lines of NYC Washington Square Park) to fill a niche between the small Daley/Federal Plazas, Millennium and the large Grant Park. In addition to a general gathering area for the immediate community, a space that could handle good-sized events (art fairs, Shakespeare in the park, political events, etc.) that may not require all the space of Grant and with the bonus of not having major streets running through it that cause continual traffic disruptions and the associated costs to the city (as with Grant). It takes time and vision, but well-located and planned in conjunction with a surrounding development effort, it could of course be a catalyst for high-density development fronting and near the space.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2018, 9:28 AM

^ When they finally raze the rest of Cabrini-Green (including the low-rise Frances Cabrini Homes), it would be nice to see that area retained as a larger park. Or maybe it’s just that block between Oak, Orleans, Locust, Hudson that gets left open (with a few buildings cleared on the east side of the block).

The problem is that without an announcement made or a long-term plan, developers keep building things that don’t face up against an eventual park properly. So we’ll have a new park that’s got a 7-11 and a garage entrance across the street.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2018, 3:29 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowrock View Post
Not entirely sure it belongs here or not, but hey, it's at least kind of development news!

There's a new brewery opening up shortly along Ravenswood in Malt Row, appropriately called Urban Renewal Brewing. Over in the same building as Koval Distillery is currently located in. Most importantly, yours truly just happens to be the new Sales and Distribution Manager for this new brewery! What could be better? Craft beer with a name that absolutely pays homage to Chicago's continuing renewal and redevelopment!

I apologize for the shameless self-promotion.

Aaron (Glowrock)
Always glad to see that, contrary to popular belief, there are people who move to Chicago to look for work and, what do you know, find work! Congrats!
[/SIZE]

Old Posted Feb 12, 2018, 3:31 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Side note: Google Maps displays the typical American bias of only displaying landscaped, green spaces, managed by the Park District, as "green" on the map. You would never know about Daley Plaza or Exelon Plaza, for example, or Pioneer Court. As usual, hardscaped spaces (especially those that are privately managed) don't get proper recognition for the valuable role they play in their neighborhoods.
Let me introduce you to United Center Park:

Old Posted Feb 12, 2018, 3:32 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
... It would be so much better if they just removed the damn fence around it, and made it more like the (great) little pocket plazas at Franklin/Randolph or Madison/Dearborn.
I complained and complained about that fence and, at the time, people kept telling me that it wasn't going to actually interfere with the usefulness of the park. I gave up complaining, but now that it's there and "buffered" by what seems to be 10 feet on either side of it, I think more people understand what I was complaining about. The usefulness of the park is far less than it would have been with a more inclusive design.
[/SIZE]

Old Posted Feb 12, 2018, 3:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
You're dreaming.

It's only a three-acre block, and once you put two towers with reasonable floor plans there, there's hardly enough left for a basketball court.

I used to think new neighborhoods needed real parks, but it's become obvious that the only thing old-fashioned parks—the ones with grass and trees—are used for nowadays is to empty apartment-dwellers' dogs. Those facilities are best as 3000-square-foot rectangles, distributed one or two per block.
I agree, the money is better spent on things like the Riverwalk or Bloomingdale Trail which are unique experiences that add a level of outdoor recreation (Kayaks, bike trail, etc) to the city. If anything is clear, it's that Chicago lacks outdoors sporting amenities like the ones enjoyed by say Denver or Seattle. We have a beautiful lakefront, but unless you have enough money for a yacht, that's pretty inaccessible. We can build our own outdoors urban playground, but it is going to have to be a vast network of riverwalks and bike trails because we don't have mountains or forests at our doorsteps like many cities.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2018, 4:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post

completely disagree. the city parks i see on summer days are packed with people enjoying the weather, relaxing, grilling, and generally enjoying life. i dont know how anyone could suggest otherwise, but the traditional city parks are heavily utilized. also, even if they arent packed with people (in the case of say, northerly island), id say thats all the valuable in a city thats increasingly dense and devoid of open spaces or nature for people to escape the crush of urbanism and throngs of people.

theres value in programmed parks like Millenium/Riverwalk/606, but theyre really not the same thing and dont really serve the same role. a bike path is not a park, although it can certainly connect to one.

Last edited by Via Chicago; Feb 12, 2018 at 4:25 PM.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2018, 2:36 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
completely disagree. the city parks i see on summer days are packed with people enjoying the weather, relaxing, grilling, and generally enjoying life. i dont know how anyone could suggest otherwise, but the traditional city parks are heavily utilized. also, even if they arent packed with people (in the case of say, northerly island), id say thats all the valuable in a city thats increasingly dense and devoid of open spaces or nature for people to escape the crush of urbanism and throngs of people.

theres value in programmed parks like Millenium/Riverwalk/606, but theyre really not the same thing and dont really serve the same role. a bike path is not a park, although it can certainly connect to one.
The sarcasm was lost on you I guess? There are also (I’m guessing) some cultural differences between the lively parks you’re seeing and the defacto dog runs in places like South Loop, Gold Coast, etc.

Rich folks often work long hours and don’t have time to casually hang out in parks, and when they do want to go out, they have the disposable income to visit restaurants and bars. Parks in a wealthy neighborhood are either for kids, dogs, or both (and very large parks like Lincoln and Humboldt also attract joggers).

I mean, I make a point personally to have picnics and barbecues on the lakefront, but I imagine it must seem like a very blue-collar thing to some of my more boujee friends.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2018, 3:17 PM
Urbane observer

I wish Via Chicago would specify the parks that he sees being heavily used. I suspect he's talking about Lincoln Park.

I bicycle all over the city in summer, and I ride past a lot of neighborhood parks. I'm always struck by how, on a beautiful 75-degree summer day, most will only have a dogwalker or two actually using them. In Latino neighborhoods, sometimes there'll be a soccer game; if there's a basketball hoop, a few teens might be underneath. Otherwise, nobody at all. Lots and lots of empty softball diamonds in this town.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2018, 4:05 PM

yea, theres just no one in humboldt park on a summer day...totally empty. no food carts or kids swimming or music.

no one golfing at jackson park or meditating in the japanese garden

no music festivals taking up Union Park for 2/3 of the summer.

No summer evening movies or Shakespeare in the park

no sunday morning soccer games in douglas park.

no 20-somethings lounging on Logan Boulevard

no little league games, ever.

no tai chi in Ping Tom Park

no one fishing in McKinley Park Lagoon or Palmisano Park

no out of towners checking out Garfield Park

no kids climbing jungle gyms in Winnemac Park

no one having picnics at Loyola Beach

no one going for a dip at Promontory Point

no cricket games in Warren Park

just wastelands, all of them. thanks to alerting me to my blindness...gotta get that checked out.

Last edited by Via Chicago; Feb 14, 2018 at 1:20 PM.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2018, 4:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
yea, theres just no one in humboldt park on a summer day...totally empty.
Likewise Garfield park - the part that is not fenced off.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development