HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Crane Chinatown in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Philadelphia Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Philadelphia Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jul 28, 2017, 5:45 PM

Chinatown’s Eastern Tower Community Center construction to begin with $76M secured

Read more here:
https://philly.curbed.com/2017/7/28/...groundbreaking

Old Posted Jul 29, 2017, 5:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
an extra year of fundraising has chinatown's eastern tower poised for construction

quote:
About a year ago, we looked in on philadelphia chinatown development corporation’s (pcdc) planned eastern tower, a 20-story mixed-use residential/retail/community services building at the northwest corner of 10th and vine streets. (yup, that's in the heart of our next on the ground neighborhood.) this was just after the organization had nabbed a $3.7 million pennsylvania economic initiative grant, which pcdc capacity and projects manager sarah yeung says helped to kick off some excellent financial and community momentum for the development.

"we had initially thought that we wanted to break ground in the beginning of [2015], but we actually spent the bulk of this year strengthening our position financially," explains yeung. The last several months have brought significant contributions from peco and comcast, as major public and private funders took notice of the project’s traction.

After funding from the william penn foundation allowed the nonprofit pcdc to set up a regional center for project investors, the foundation gave an additional grant of $700,000 towards outfitting the community center portion of the building, which brought foundation gifts to a total of $900,000 in just the last quarter. The philadelphia suns -- who will be the primary users of the eastern tower community center -- raised $15,000 at their latest banquet. The cdc also received a $500,000 grant from the commerce department late last year.

All in all, the projected budget for the new center now stands at $77 million.

Eastern tower has been a long time coming. The vision for the massive new vine street hub got started in 2004. Fundraising started in earnest in 2011. The complex (from the architects at studio agoos lovera) aims to house the city’s most diverse range of community offerings under one roof: Residential units, a daycare center, a community center, a pharmacy, a restaurant, a doctor’s office and more.

"from an outsider’s perspective, it looks like we threw the kitchen sink in, but this is a very strategic project for us," says yeung of targeting much-needed services in the area. "it’s about equitable development in chinatown north/callowhill," a neighborhood with plenty of private development bumping up against ongoing issues of poverty, blight and lack of services for the local immigrant community.

Yeung says final closing on all the project’s financing will be accomplished by next month, and the contract for construction manager hunter roberts is ready to go. Funding is at 100 percent and construction should commence early next year.

"we’re as ready as can be," she enthuses. "we can’t be more ready. It’s a really exciting time for us. It’s been a long process and a huge team effort...on a city level, it’s going to be quite a significant project."

http://www.flyingkitemedia.com/devne...wer111015.aspx
It would be nice, but it looks a whole lot like this Curbed article from 2015 when they said funding was in place and a ground breaking was anticipated.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2017, 6:05 AM

It's a whole new article with substantial new info ??

Old Posted Jul 29, 2017, 2:51 PM
Φιλαδέλφεια

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisforreal View Post
Yeah, I was thinking to myself "who is the numnut that bumped this thread to the top again" only to find myself as surprised as a guest at the red wedding.
Haha! Love it

Old Posted Jul 29, 2017, 3:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxbot View Post
It would be nice, but it looks a whole lot like this Curbed article from 2015 when they said funding was in place and a ground breaking was anticipated.
I would assume that financing may have fallen through. A secured construction loan means this thing is pretty much a go though.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 6:25 PM

Quote:
I would assume that financing may have fallen through. A secured construction loan means this thing is pretty much a go though.
Work will start on Monday. This thing is finally a go!!

Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 6:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConstructStudent View Post
Work will start on Monday. This thing is finally a go!!
I don't fucking believe it! Haha. In the works since 2011.... gives you hope for SLS, which has been in the works since 2013.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 7:57 PM
BANNED

Quote:
I don't fucking believe it! Haha. In the works since 2011.... gives you hope for SLS, which has been in the works since 2013.
not much. At least the chinatown project was clearly waiting for new funding while SLS is waiting for more money from an existing source when that source has given no indication it plans to increase the subsidy.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2017, 1:08 AM

I would personally throw in money if they went back to the original rendering.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2017, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milksteak View Post
I would personally throw in money if they went back to the original rendering.
where do I send my $50!
I'm glad this is getting built, it will be a plus for the area, but that first design was sweet, hate to see it scraped.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2017, 1:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Wide View Post
where do I send my $50!
I'm glad this is getting built, it will be a plus for the area, but that first design was sweet, hate to see it scraped.
Agreed, happy it's getting built and won't complain about the current rendering...but the original is so sexy...

Old Posted Aug 6, 2017, 4:30 PM

A little further color from the June RDA minutes (pages 15-16):

https://www.philadelphiaredevelopmen...d%20Agenda.pdf

And from the July minutes (pages 11-13, 26-27)

https://www.philadelphiaredevelopmen...d%20Agenda.pdf

Construction must commence by Sept 29th. Looks like that's not going to be a problem

Last edited by 39.95n; Aug 8, 2017 at 11:11 PM. Reason: Added info.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2017, 1:18 PM

Well I'll be damned! It has been a long time coming, but we finally have fencing and equipment!!

Temple University '18 ']['

Old Posted Aug 8, 2017, 1:41 PM
Philly Rising Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan View Post
Well I'll be damned! It has been a long time coming, but we finally have fencing and equipment!!

Boom! This might even be the first mix-used high-rise new construction project in any Chinatown in the US. So glad it's finally happening and Hunter Roberts construction don't mess around once they start. They've done plenty of projects around town. Good for Philly Chinatown and all the people who kept pushing to get it fully funded!

Last edited by iheartphilly; Aug 8, 2017 at 1:58 PM.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2017, 2:36 PM

This is very exciting! I almost don't believe this picture is real! Lol

Old Posted Aug 8, 2017, 3:16 PM

They'll have to work quickly. According to actuarial tables, half of their EB-5 sponsors are likely to pass away from old age before this thing is finished.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2017, 3:05 AM
build awesome buildings

walked by today and the parking lot was gone and some heavy equipment was in use (though when i went by, only three dudes were on site). vine could be very interesting in a few years if they improve that pedestrian experience just a bit - i know, easier said than done.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2017, 11:20 PM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Well whaddya know

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Aug 16, 2017, 12:11 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Duderino View Post
walked by today and the parking lot was gone and some heavy equipment was in use (though when i went by, only three dudes were on site). vine could be very interesting in a few years if they improve that pedestrian experience just a bit - i know, easier said than done.
Hopefully something happens with the parking lot to the west of this site.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2017, 1:01 PM
build awesome buildings

^i was thinking that same thing when i walked by. with the increased interest in this stretch, hopefully we'll get something soon.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive