HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 18, 2022, 7:37 PM

Because cfl viewership and demographics are so heavy in the 55+ age group its extremely difficult to get those kind of valuations as they do not fit in the younger demographics that advertisers want ie 19-54

Old Posted Mar 18, 2022, 9:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
Because cfl viewership and demographics are so heavy in the 55+ age group its extremely difficult to get those kind of valuations as they do not fit in the younger demographics that advertisers want ie 19-54
People say the same thing about baseball and golf but they seem to do fine.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2022, 9:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
People say the same thing about baseball and golf but they seem to do fine.
they do but canada's demographics are changing much much faster than the U.S. and baseball's future does not look very bright right now as they have been in decline for well over a decade now and minor league baseball is even worse.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2022, 9:27 PM

Quote:
they do but canada's demographics are changing much much faster than the U.S. and baseball's future does not look very bright right now as they have been in decline for well over a decade now and minor league baseball is even worse.
You're making a lot of general statements and this is a CFL forum if we can get back to that as well.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2022, 9:27 PM

Quote:
Right, but the point is that baseball is still a thriving business even if the long-term growth trajectory is not spectacular.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2022, 9:43 PM

Has BC’s new owner or MTl’s new owner done anything lately to attract those fans? I know BC’s new owner was really enthusiastic about spending the money required to bring the BC Lions back.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2022, 10:20 PM

I haven't seen anything since this:

B.C. Lions owner Amar Doman teases new jerseys, season-opener guest appearance ‘Vancouver is not going to forget’
3Down Staff February 24, 2022

I have a lot of confidence in Doman and Cui. I haven't been following what's been going on in Montreal at all.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2022, 6:51 AM

In case there needs to be any more evidence against the resident Sportsnet CFL hitman, their own version of Brian Stelter, Trash Madani, we have this.

CFL commissioner Randy Ambrosie: four-down story ‘took on a life of its own’ following Genius Sports report
3Down Staff April 5, 2022

CFL commissioner Randy Ambrosie took a veiled shot at Sportsnet’s Arash Madani after he reported in mid-March that Genius Sports, the CFL’s new data and technology partner, was pushing the league to play four-down football.

“You know how that story got started, right? A certain member of the media circulated a story suggesting that Genius was pushing (for the CFL to add a fourth down) — which was not true, and certainly Genius indicated it wasn’t true — but then it took on a life of its own as though it was the truth,” Ambrosie told Sean Campbell on TSN 690 in Montreal.

The CFL unveiled its partnership with Genius Sports in December 2021 and reports emerged that same week suggesting the league would undergo a review of its entire operation, including the number of downs. The idea was met with backlash from fans but persisted through the off-season until Ambrosie quashed it ten days following the initial report.

“We had a great league meeting — I think the best ever, quite honestly, certainly in my five years — and we talked about how do we take our game and make it the best, most exciting brand of football in the world and that’s our focus going forward,” said Ambrosie.

“We have got the plans to be the best, fastest, most exciting brand of football in the world that happens to be played with three downs.”

The league is currently working with the Canadian Football League Players’ Association to negotiate a new collective bargaining agreement. The current deal expires on May 14, which is one day before training camps are scheduled to get underway.

The league conducted market research in January to help determine the best path forward coming out of the COVID-19 pandemic. One of the findings was that player transiency, which has gotten worse since one-year contracts for veteran players were implemented in 2014, has hurt fan interest.

“Our fans want more roster continuity. They not only want to see the stars, but they want to see the stars stay in their communities and play for a long time. And when you think back to some of the greatest players in CFL history — Ron Lancaster, who I played for, and George Reed in Saskatchewan to name two — came (to Regina), played their entire careers there, and raised their families in the city,” said Ambrosie.

“I think we’ve got great stars. We’re excited about kinda getting back to a more normal operating environment. One of the advantages of this long-term partnership with Genius is how we enable our stars to reach out to the fans and make them more connected both physically and virtually and we’re very, very excited about that.”

The CFL recently shared the findings of its market research with the CFLPA in the spirit of transparency ahead of CBA negotiations. Genius Sports also did a presentation to the CFLPA’s bargaining committee as a way to convey its plans for the future.

“I think we’ve worked very hard to get together over the past many, many months to really set a new and stronger foundation for our relationship. One built on mutual respect and trust, one built on openness,” said Ambrosie.

“We need transparency. We need openness. The players need to feel like they’re being treated as partners in our league. We had a great session with them and I know the feedback from the Players’ Association was very positive.”

Old Posted Apr 10, 2022, 2:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
In case there needs to be any more evidence against the resident Sportsnet CFL hitman, their own version of Brian Stelter, Trash Madani, we have this.

CFL commissioner Randy Ambrosie: four-down story ‘took on a life of its own’ following Genius Sports report
3Down Staff April 5, 2022

CFL commissioner Randy Ambrosie took a veiled shot at Sportsnet’s Arash Madani after he reported in mid-March that Genius Sports, the CFL’s new data and technology partner, was pushing the league to play four-down football.

“You know how that story got started, right? A certain member of the media circulated a story suggesting that Genius was pushing (for the CFL to add a fourth down) — which was not true, and certainly Genius indicated it wasn’t true — but then it took on a life of its own as though it was the truth,” Ambrosie told Sean Campbell on TSN 690 in Montreal.

The CFL unveiled its partnership with Genius Sports in December 2021 and reports emerged that same week suggesting the league would undergo a review of its entire operation, including the number of downs. The idea was met with backlash from fans but persisted through the off-season until Ambrosie quashed it ten days following the initial report.

“We had a great league meeting — I think the best ever, quite honestly, certainly in my five years — and we talked about how do we take our game and make it the best, most exciting brand of football in the world and that’s our focus going forward,” said Ambrosie.

“We have got the plans to be the best, fastest, most exciting brand of football in the world that happens to be played with three downs.”

The league is currently working with the Canadian Football League Players’ Association to negotiate a new collective bargaining agreement. The current deal expires on May 14, which is one day before training camps are scheduled to get underway.

The league conducted market research in January to help determine the best path forward coming out of the COVID-19 pandemic. One of the findings was that player transiency, which has gotten worse since one-year contracts for veteran players were implemented in 2014, has hurt fan interest.

“Our fans want more roster continuity. They not only want to see the stars, but they want to see the stars stay in their communities and play for a long time. And when you think back to some of the greatest players in CFL history — Ron Lancaster, who I played for, and George Reed in Saskatchewan to name two — came (to Regina), played their entire careers there, and raised their families in the city,” said Ambrosie.

“I think we’ve got great stars. We’re excited about kinda getting back to a more normal operating environment. One of the advantages of this long-term partnership with Genius is how we enable our stars to reach out to the fans and make them more connected both physically and virtually and we’re very, very excited about that.”

The CFL recently shared the findings of its market research with the CFLPA in the spirit of transparency ahead of CBA negotiations. Genius Sports also did a presentation to the CFLPA’s bargaining committee as a way to convey its plans for the future.

“I think we’ve worked very hard to get together over the past many, many months to really set a new and stronger foundation for our relationship. One built on mutual respect and trust, one built on openness,” said Ambrosie.

“We need transparency. We need openness. The players need to feel like they’re being treated as partners in our league. We had a great session with them and I know the feedback from the Players’ Association was very positive.”
the stampeders and argos voted in favor of 4 downs in the board of govenors meeting a month ago so his story did have merit.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2022, 5:17 PM

Quote:
the stampeders and argos voted in favor of 4 downs in the board of govenors meeting a month ago so his story did have merit.
I was waiting for that. His motive for the story was disingenuous saying Genius wanted it when they didn't.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2022, 5:32 PM

Quote:
I was waiting for that. His motive for the story was disingenuous saying Genius wanted it when they didn't.
we don't know that as companies can always put out statements after they leak trial balloon ideas to the media to see how fans might react to it.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2022, 5:38 PM

Quote:
we don't know that as companies can always put out statements after they leak trial balloon ideas to the media to see how fans might react to it.
And we also know Trash Madani's history as Rogers designated CFL hitman which even Bob McCown and later Rogers itself acknowledged when they purchased the Argos (got in on the deal) He was also called out twice by a CFL PR guy (Paulo Senra) for misinformation.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2022, 5:44 PM

Quote:
And we also know Trash Madani's history as Rogers designated CFL hitman which even Bob McCown and later Rogers itself acknowledged when they purchased the Argos (got in on the deal)
The guy worked for the blue bombers and was the strongest media personality against merger with the xfl. He can be very abrasive at times and he does work for rogers so of course they are not going to be a cfl friendly media outlet due to TSN's relationship with the CFL however I believe what he has to say more than I would of what Ambrosie has to say these days.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2022, 5:46 PM

Quote:
The guy worked for the blue bombers and was the strongest media personality against merger with the xfl. He can be very abrasive at times and he does work for rogers so of course they are not going to be a cfl friendly media outlet due to TSN's relationship with the CFL however I believe what he has to say more than I would of what Ambrosie has to say these days.
Jhikka that you?

Old Posted Apr 10, 2022, 5:48 PM

Quote:
Jhikka that you?
Nope just me I have my own opinions I love the CFL but I do not take what their league office puts out as gospel as I like to get facts from all sides before forming my own opinions.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2022, 5:52 PM

Quote:
Nope just me I have my own opinions I love the CFL but I do not take what their league office puts out as gospel as I like to get facts from all sides before forming my own opinions.
You can't love the CFL too much if you are supportive of Madani's antics over the years. I just didn't one day decide I didn't like the guy, he's well earned it.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2022, 5:53 PM

Quote:
You can't love the CFL too much if you are supportive of Madani's antics over the years. I just didn't one day decide I didn't like the guy, he's well earned it.
Don't think I need your approval to be a cfl fan.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2022, 5:56 PM

Quote:
I call it as I see it.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2022, 6:25 PM

Quote:
Ignore elly. He's the "number 1 CFL fan in the world" and way superior to everyone else for it. The CFL is completely perfect as is and if you speak critically at all about anything regarding the league he'll throw a hissy fit and say you aren't ACTUALLY a real fan like he is

Old Posted Apr 10, 2022, 6:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawrylyshyn View Post
Ignore elly. He's the "number 1 CFL fan in the world" and way superior to everyone else for it. The CFL is completely perfect as is and if you speak critically at all about anything regarding the league he'll throw a hissy fit and say you aren't ACTUALLY a real fan like he is
Or a proven troll like you. Do we need to go back and list your comments yet again.

I have no problem with Thurmas, he sometimes makes generalized comments with no backing evidence (kind of like what he is now being called out for in the Conservative thread). Sometimes he is too lazy to post a corroborating link and what he is saying is true and other times it's just his opinion being presented as fact. No problem, we'll debate it through.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada