HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 6, 2020, 6:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ Really? I thought he was a billionaire... could have sworn some CFL media even called him Billionaire Bob.
Last time I had some info on that, and it was years ago, I think it was about 300-350 million. As an individual Braley has scary money (billionaire). I remember reading an article that said the other owners were awed by his net worth. IIRC Wetenhall was about 250 million. Most of the ownership groups have a billionaire (or family) in their midst.

Braley is called a multimillionaire in this article but Naylor has posted other tweets etc that say billionaire IIRC

David Braley: Pigskin Patriarch
David Naylor Globe and Mail July 21 2010

Last edited by elly63; Jan 6, 2020 at 6:49 PM.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2020, 8:23 PM

In further evidence of the stupidity of the Cleveland Browns apparently they have kicked the tires on hiring Ryan Dinwiddie as their next head coach before he has coached 1 down of CFL football as HC for the Argos and he was never even the OC in Calgary just their QB coach:

https://3downnation.com/2020/01/06/b...widdie-report/

Old Posted Jan 6, 2020, 11:05 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicPonyTime View Post
Because it's not a very good stadium (though I agree, why would they not just upgrade it instead of abandoning it)
Impact would certainly prefer to upgrade Saputo than relocate elsewhere as a co-tenant.

Quote:
^ Really? I thought he was a billionaire... could have sworn some CFL media even called him Billionaire Bob.
This G&M article from 15 years ago lists Young's net worth in the hundreds of millions.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/repo...rticle1130291/

Old Posted Jan 13, 2020, 4:43 PM

Danny Maciocia the new GM in Montreal. Mario Cecchini named president.

https://3downnation.com/2020/01/13/o...neral-manager/

Old Posted Jan 13, 2020, 5:12 PM

A real positive, workmanlike vibe at the announcement. I was impressed by both guys and what they had to say. The Als are back!

Old Posted Jan 13, 2020, 5:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
A real positive, workmanlike vibe at the announcement. I was impressed by both guys and what they had to say. The Als are back!
I would agree. People love to dump on Maciocia but he's had a lot of success. And I think Khari is poised for great things as HC. I think they'll be a contender this season.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2020, 6:53 PM

Alouettes install Maciocia as GM, ex-radio exec Cecchini as president
Maciocia, who started with the Als as an unpaid quality control coach in 1996, returns to the organization from Université de Montréal.
Herb Zurkowsky, Montreal Gazette January 13, 2020

Calling it a dream come true, Danny Maciocia was introduced Monday morning as the general manager of the Alouettes.

At the same time, longtime radio executive Mario Cecchini was named the Canadian Football League team’s president at a standing-room-only news conference at a downtown hotel.

Among those in attendance were former Montreal mayor Denis Coderre.

“I’m so excited to be back home. This is a dream come true. This is a day filled with emotion,” said Maciocia, 52, a St-Léonard native. “I’m not going to guarantee everything, but I’ll give you everything I’ve got. This is more than just a job, it’s a passion for me.”

Maciocia, who started with the Als as an unpaid quality control coach in 1996, returns to the organization from Université de Montréal. Maciocia, who went to the university in 2011, led the school to a Vanier Cup in 2014 and two other championship-game appearances.

He’s also a former head coach and GM of the Edmonton Eskimos. As coach, he led the Eskimos to the Grey Cup in 2005. He’s the only coach to have won the Grey and Vanier Cups.

“I’m proud and honoured to represent the Alouettes today,” said Maciocia, who left the Als for Edmonton after the 2001 season. “We won’t disappoint.”

Cecchini, a Shawinigan native, is the former president of Corus Media Quebec and a former senior vice-president (sales and marketing) for Astral Radio. He said improving the Als’ sales and marketing are two of his biggest and most immediate challenges.

“I’ll seek the business community’s time and support,” he said. “We have to maximize revenue. Our relationship with the community is one of my top priorities.”

Cecchini said he and Maciocia share the same values, listing hard work, transparency, communication and respect. He said he and Maciocia connected immediately. Indeed, had Éric Lapointe’s bid to purchase the Als gained traction, he also would have named Cecchini and Maciocia as president and GM, respectively.

Gary Stern, whose purchase of the Als with partner Sid Spiegel was announced last Monday, said the two hirings were obvious.

“This president had something special that blew me away,” Stern said. “Both came highly recommended by so many people. After you meet them you want them on your team.”

Old Posted Jan 13, 2020, 7:16 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Good hires for the Alouettes.

Forza Montréal, I guess.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2020, 8:35 PM

Maciocia, Cecchini ushering in new era for Als
Chris O'Leary Senior Writer cfl.ca January 13, 2020

In his first day on the job, Danny Maciocia looked like he couldn’t have been any more comfortable.

The freshly-hired GM of the Montreal Alouettes called Monday a day that was 18 years in the making. Maciocia grew up in Montreal, a French-Italian kid that fell in love with the game watching Wally Buono and Peter Dalla Riva play for the Alouettes.

In 1996, Maciocia talked then-Als GM Jim Popp into an unpaid coaching role with the team. With his toes in the door, he went on to become the Als’ offensive coordinator by 2001. In 2002, he made the move west to Edmonton and became their head coach in 2005. The Esks won the Grey Cup that year and Maciocia became the director of football operations in 2007, staying with the team as its GM and head coach until 2010.

After a nine-year run as the head coach of the Montreal Carabins — that included a Vanier Cup win in 2014 — Maciocia got the call he’d dreamed of since he’d left town after the turn of the century.

“I’ve been waiting for this for 18 years. I’d like to think I’m battle-tested, I’ve experienced it at many different levels,” Maciocia told a room full of media on Monday, with the Alouettes’ blue and red backdrop behind him.

“It’s time for a different challenge and I’m up to that challenge.”

It’s been a long, difficult journey for both parties involved, really. From the U de M campus, Maciocia has kept a keen eye on the state of the Alouettes. He watched them struggle through the post-Anthony Calvillo years and watched it come under league ownership last season. He was a voice from the periphery throughout last season, offering whatever help he could to the team that he grew up watching as the league tried to find it a suitable owner.

Through last season, he may have been as surprised as anyone else to see the Alouettes find the success that they did under head coach Khari Jones. He took control of the team six days before the start of the regular season after Mike Sherman was abruptly relieved of his duties. The Als had missed the playoffs the previous four years but under Jones, they went 10-8 and hosted the East Semi-Final at Molson Stadium.

Maciocia took the opportunity on Monday to give a full endorsement of his coach. Jones signed a three-year extension with the team before Sid Spiegel and Gary Stern assumed ownership and in turn, before Maciocia was hired as GM and Mario Cecchini was hired as the team’s president.

“I know what the perception is out there, that clearly you want to be aligned (where) the president hires the general manager and the general manager hires the head coach,” Maciocia said. “But when you take a look at what coach Jones had to deal with last year under tremendously difficult circumstances, I don’t see how you don’t give him a three-year deal. I don’t see how you don’t give him the opportunity to lead this football team moving forward.

“He was dealt a bad hand to be quite honest with you and for him to come out on top, I’m surprised he wasn’t named the coach of the year in the CFL. I think he’s worthy. I think we’re lucky to have him in Montreal.

“I’m extremely privileged to have the opportunity to work with him. I’ve known him since 2006, 2007. He’s come to Carabins games the last two years. We’ve had supper together and this all took place all before the month of May. I’m looking forward to it. If the roles had been reversed I don’t think I’d have done it any differently.”

It’s easy to say in January when so little has happened to shape the coming season (free agency, both the CFL draft and the global draft and training camp are all still in front of us), but there was a feeling of completeness at the press conference. Stern, the new owner, sat with Cecchini and Maciocia. Jones sat in the front row, laughing at Stern’s frequent reminders that he wants to win the Grey Cup this year.

After so many years of seeing the Alouettes suffer and with the team turning the corner on the field in 2019, it feels like the organization is at the start of a new, brighter chapter.

Maciocia didn’t want to join in on Stern’s bold promise of a Grey Cup or put a timestamp on any kind of guarantee. The promise he made on Monday was a simple one.

“I’ll never say we’re looking to get back into the Grey Cup in 2022 or 2023,” Maciocia said. “We want to be there this year. Is there work? Absolutely.

“Do we have some issues with the roster? I’m not going to lie to you, I’m going to be transparent. Yes, we do, but is there the willingness to clean it up and make the changes that we need to make to become a competitive team? Absolutely.

“That’s going to be our No. 1 objective, is to be competitive every single week. Once you’re competitive you give yourself a chance and that’s all you want in life, is a chance.”

Old Posted Jan 13, 2020, 9:19 PM

Quote:
I would agree. People love to dump on Maciocia but he's had a lot of success. And I think Khari is poised for great things as HC. I think they'll be a contender this season.
Really? I haven't heard much but maybe it's before my time.

I think he is a great hire, he's done a great job with the Carabins taking them from a mediocre .500 team to a perennial contender.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2020, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25grapes View Post
Really? I haven't heard much but maybe it's before my time.

I think he is a great hire, he's done a great job with the Carabins taking them from a mediocre .500 team to a perennial contender.
Eskimos fans wanted nothing to do with him by the end of his tenure here. Needless to say, we weren't huge fans of his.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2020, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimB09 View Post
Eskimos fans wanted nothing to do with him by the end of his tenure here. Needless to say, we weren't huge fans of his.
I get the feeling he'll do better the second time around. Under the 8 ball though, he's late to the season and has no top draft picks.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2020, 9:05 PM

Maciocia: This is what I always wanted do do
Montreal 690 The Montreal Forum Show

Tony Marinaro chats with Alouettes GM Danny Maciocia in studio about coming to Montreal plus a few family surprises

Cecchini: Need to make Als successful again
MONTREAL 690 Melnick in the Afternoon

New Alouettes president Mario Cecchini made an in-studio appearance on Melnick in the Afternoon.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2020, 11:57 PM

Streveler is all healed up and has several NFL workouts planned. Not sure I have seen the NFL taking a look and signing so many CFL players this offseason since maybe the late 90's early 2000's when the success of Doug Flutie and Jeff Garcia opened the eyes of NFL execs to CFL talent.

https://3downnation.com/2020/01/14/g...-nfl-workouts/

Old Posted Jan 15, 2020, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
Maciocia: This is what I always wanted do do
Montreal 690 The Montreal Forum Show

Tony Marinaro chats with Alouettes GM Danny Maciocia in studio about coming to Montreal plus a few family surprises

Cecchini: Need to make Als successful again
MONTREAL 690 Melnick in the Afternoon

New Alouettes president Mario Cecchini made an in-studio appearance on Melnick in the Afternoon.
After listening to Cecchini's interview the last 5 minutes of it were the most interesting. Sounds like the new owners will invest in a new practice facility. Cecchini also mentioned they will see how they can improve the fan experience at Molson but also mentioned the possibility of Claridge having a new downtown stadium for the Expos and that they might explore discussions with them on possibly being a possible tenant.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2020, 2:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
but also mentioned the possibility of Claridge having a new downtown stadium for the Expos and that they might explore discussions with them on possibly being a possible tenant.
Cecchini did say that and I believe Bronfman has mentioned possibly having the Als as a tenant previously but this isn't a good idea for a couple of reasons.

1. Bronfman was part of the failed Lenkov Al's bid where the investors had a last minute "falling out" and the CFL allowed someone who actually could pony up the cash all at once to buy the team. He might or might not be a fan of the league.

2. Mark Teixeira on NYCFC using Yankee Stadium: 'It’s terrible for a field'
Several New York Yankees players expressed concerns about the field conditions at Yankee Stadium after new MLS team New York City FC plays on it.
SI Wire Mar 11, 2015

3. It's a terrible idea

Old Posted Jan 15, 2020, 3:49 AM

I would think they would have the seating as a track system to what Skydome was like switching from MLB to CFL. It wasn't great but far better than the Yankee stadium example of just squeezing a field in there.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2020, 1:43 PM

What about a dual stadium, like TD Place, or even more accurately like Headingley in Leeds (shared cricket and rugby)? Have the majority of the amenities, clubs suites etc in the centre portion.

Edit: both the centre and right portions of it have recently been rebuilt, but this still shows the main concept.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2020, 2:31 PM

Wouldn't it make more sense to just demolish and rebuild a stand at Molson with room for skyboxes, club seats, lounges, f&b like at TD Place? The location at McGill is hard to beat, and jamming soccer/football fields into baseball-specific stadiums (as compared to the older-style multipurpose stadiums) always ends up being pretty lousy from what I can tell.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2020, 3:25 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Wouldn't it make more sense to just demolish and rebuild a stand at Molson with room for skyboxes, club seats, lounges, f&b like at TD Place?
$$$$

Quote:
The location at McGill is hard to beat, and jamming soccer/football fields into baseball-specific stadiums (as compared to the older-style multipurpose stadiums) always ends up being pretty lousy from what I can tell.
As someone who endured an NYCFC game at Yankee Stadium I wholeheartedly agree.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada