HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 8:12 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonysnob View Post
Highway 12 is pretty busy between the two Highway 48 junctions around Beaverton. At the tail end of the Eves' government, the MTO started work to four lane sections of the highway around Beaverton (which explains the extra-wide bridge just south of Main Street), The Liberals never followed through with any extra lanes when they took power under McGuinty. The widening of Highway 12 is a project that I hope that the current Conservative government resurrects as I find Highway 12 to be a pretty unpleasant drive on most days.
It’d be nice to have 12 widened between 7 (Sunderland) and 48 N (Durham Highway 48) I suppose, and we can see how that will tie in with the 404 extension. (I kinda wanna see the latter extended all the way to Peterborough just to join the discontiguous sections of 7 via concurrency with 9 and 10. Heck in that case 9 between Orangeville and Newmarket can be completely renumbered as 7, and 7 between Markham Bypass and Highway 12 as 7A.)

(Then again, many things are but pipe dreams at this moment.)

Old Posted Dec 16, 2018, 12:05 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

I was on the 406. There are so many curves along the riverbank in St Catherine’s, but it sure made for an exilirating drive as I tried to manoeuvre at 96 kph.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2018, 1:09 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Then I stopped by Port Colbourne (which I realized is the one francophone town on the peninsula), then headed towards Fort Erie via 3.

The 4-lane section of 3 has an American feel to it, and I find it funny that both ends of 3 are 4-laned, west end divided but east end undivided. Also I didn’t know there’s so much going on in Fort Erie until I went on the 3 today. When I usually go by QEW, I don’t see the town, at all.

It’s only my first time driving on that part of 3, but I was already feeling emotional.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2018, 4:35 AM

^

I like Highway 3 through Norfolk and Niagara actually. That's a part of the province that I almost never visit. Over the past few years I've been to Thunder Bay and Timmins much more frequently than I have been to say Dunnville for example.

Are you trying to drive all of Ontario's highways?

From your post it sounds as if you are trying to do that, or at least going out of your way to drive different highways. I have driven the entire pre-1997 king's highway network. It took a long time, and I needed to make a special trip up north to drive Highway 101, which was the last road that I drove. Ontario is a big province. Though I have completed the King's Highway network, I haven't completed all of the secondary highways. I doubt that I ever will. I live in the south and I don't really desire driving up to Cochrane to drive Highway 652 a couple of hours into the bush only to get to the end and turn right around. (Though, that said, I have driven to the end of Highway 599, Ontario's northern-most highway).

I used to maintain an online photo journal of all of my travels across the province. The website is still online, but I hardly ever have a chance to upload it any longer. Plus, it's very much Web 1.0, and is pretty dated by today's web standards.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2018, 4:59 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

(1) That’s true. I’ve never been to Norfolk or Haldimand County. That part of the peninsula is uncharted water for me. (It’s the same with St Thomas, though.)

(2) Not really lol, I don’t wanna wreck my car. I’ve only had it for almost 3 years and I’ve already driven almost 96,000 km with it. (I probably go to Ottawa too much. ) I guess both Niagara Peninsula and Simcoe-Muskoka can be a bit out of the way with respect to GTA, but it’s nothing compared to, say, Sudbury and North Bay.

(3) I think I’ve seen it, actually.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2018, 4:39 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

https://twitter.com/511Ontario/statu...36044138409985

The interchange at Highway 400/Line 5 is now open. Hopefully that means immediate removal of the RIRO at Canal Road.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2018, 1:47 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Question: In Northern Ontario, does police (OPP, MTO, Municipal Police) really enforce the use of speed limiter for trucks?

In the south, I know it does because OPP actually tickets trucks going past 105 kph for both speeding and disuse of speed limiters. What about the north?

Old Posted Dec 24, 2018, 3:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
https://twitter.com/511Ontario/statu...36044138409985

The interchange at Highway 400/Line 5 is now open. Hopefully that means immediate removal of the RIRO at Canal Road.
There is a project planned to replace the North Holland Canal bridges much like was done with the South Canal bridges as part of the Highway 9 reconstruction. I'm not sure what the timing is for these bridge replacements, but I'd assume the Canal Road interchange will be closed as part of this work and not before.

The contract has been called to replace the Highway 89 interchange starting next spring however.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2018, 3:11 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Question: In Northern Ontario, does police (OPP, MTO, Municipal Police) really enforce the use of speed limiter for trucks?

In the south, I know it does because OPP actually tickets trucks going past 105 kph for both speeding and disuse of speed limiters. What about the north?
I'd imagine the OPP would be pretty standardized on their enforcement across the province.

With respect to municipal police forces, it could vary - there's not too many places that a large rig could do 105+ and not just get nailed for speeding in general.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2018, 3:22 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by wave46 View Post
I'd imagine the OPP would be pretty standardized on their enforcement across the province.
Except for the stretch of Highway 11 through Matheson between New Liskeard and Kapuskasing.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2018, 3:29 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Except for the stretch of Highway 11 through Matheson between New Liskeard and Kapuskasing.
What's special about that stretch?

I've seen the OPP enforce that.

Maybe you're thinking Hearst to Longlac? That's the frikkin' boonies.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2018, 3:35 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
What's special about that stretch?

I've seen the OPP enforce that.

Maybe you're thinking Hearst to Longlac? That's the frikkin' boonies.
Everyone I know from up in that area warns not to speed on Highway 11 in the Matheson area. Something about the OPP sending all its trainees to that detachment so they're super keen.

I have no idea if it's still true, or even if it ever was.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2018, 3:44 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Everyone I know from up in that area warns not to speed on Highway 11 in the Matheson area. Something about the OPP sending all its trainees to that detachment so they're super keen.

I have no idea if it's still true, or even if it ever was.

I've been warned about driving on 11 between Bracebridge and Barrie, simply because the OPP HQ is there and they have newbies who need practice.

Never heard about Matheson though.

There's basically no enforcement beyond Hearst to Longlac, simply because there's nothing out there.

Last edited by wave46; Dec 24, 2018 at 4:48 PM.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2018, 4:17 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Here’s the thing:
Once I was heading north on the 11 towards Orillia, I saw 14 cops heading south in 15 minutes. As a matter of fact, there was this side road where a lot of OPP’s were gathering.

I also heard that on Highway 11 New Liskeard Bypass OPP might book you for 15 kph over.

The other 2 infamous spots will be Matheson and Smooth Rock Falls, where, as the legend has it, officers fill their quota and their pals’, too.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2018, 4:22 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

By the way, does anyone find the name Beardmore (in Greenstone) funny?

Old Posted Dec 24, 2018, 4:27 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Here’s the thing:
Once I was heading north on the 11 towards Orillia, I saw 14 cops heading south in 15 minutes. As a matter of fact, there was this side road where a lot of OPP’s were gathering.

I also heard that on Highway 11 New Liskeard Bypass OPP might book you for 15 kph over.

The other 2 infamous spots will be Matheson and Smooth Rock Falls, where, as the legend has it, officers fill their quota and their pals’, too.
Book you? Like, arrest? For 15 km/h over? You'd have a decent case for overzealous policing in that sense.

The OPP in Smooth Rock Falls is just probably the most boring cop job ever. They've pulled me over just to see if I had everything in order (I did). It's a town of 1,500 people. How much crime can there really be?

Old Posted Dec 24, 2018, 4:35 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Book you? Like, arrest? For 15 km/h over? You'd have a decent case for overzealous policing in that sense.

The OPP in Smooth Rock Falls is just probably the most boring cop job ever. They've pulled me over just to see if I had everything in order (I did). It's a town of 1,500 people. How much crime can there really be?
Book as in pull over, so yes. Huh I didn’t know excessive zeal can be a thing (in the sense of making a case against the cops).

I find it very annoying when cops try to unnecessarily slow people down.
“Sir, it took me a lot of effort to pass all those trucks and now I have to do it all over again.”

Old Posted Dec 24, 2018, 4:38 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Book as in pull over, so yes. Huh I didn’t know excessive zeal can be a thing (in the sense of making a case against the cops).
Oh, ok. To 'book' someone (to me at least), means 'arrest', as in you're being hauled out of the car in handcuffs.

Then yeah, you wouldn't have a case. You could definitely be ticketed for 15 over, if they wanted to do that to you.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2018, 4:44 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

For speed limit higher than (or equal to) 80 kph, though, I’d expect cops to do nothing until 20 kph over.

These officers really have nothing better to do, eh?

Old Posted Dec 25, 2018, 6:52 AM

Quote:

If a transport gets stopped for going faster than 108 km/h then yes it is enforced from what I've been told. I think the speed may be a touch higher if it happened going downhill.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario