HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Feb 26, 2007, 3:59 PM

PersonPlaceorThing , you are likely right. In the other hand, when I look what happened in Champlain place i think the redevelopement and expansion has had a huge impact to attract Eddie Bauer for example. There is many retailers move out like Future Shop, DC restaurant, Franks Music and BMO as well but many others like Mexx, Tommy Hilfinger, Cassis, Marie Claire, Jacob and likely Best Buy will fill the free space. I dont think this expansion has had a huge impact in tenants at that time . I suspect the competitivity of SJ market too

All these retailers could choose to move in a Big Box concept out of conventional malls.

Last edited by ErickMontreal; Feb 26, 2007 at 4:24 PM.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2007, 5:07 PM

I heard from a rep of Chapters years ago that they didn't open a store in Saint John because their market research indicated that Saint Johners don't read. True or not, it was an upsetting thing to hear.

I'd be happy to get all those stores you mentioned, but Saint John will have a Starbucks over my dead body

Old Posted Feb 26, 2007, 5:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwajo View Post
I heard from a rep of Chapters years ago that they didn't open a store in Saint John because their market research indicated that Saint Johners don't read. True or not, it was an upsetting thing to hear.

I'd be happy to get all those stores you mentioned, but Saint John will have a Starbucks over my dead body
A few years back (maybe just one) Chapters Indigo started a retrenchment strategy where they were really slowing the roll out of new stores. I wonder if that's still the case.

Still, I would take a big book store over any fashion store.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2007, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PersonPlaceorThing View Post
A few years back (maybe just one) Chapters Indigo started a retrenchment strategy where they were really slowing the roll out of new stores. I wonder if that's still the case.

Still, I would take a big book store over any fashion store.
I would definitely take a big bookstore in SJ over anything but Simons! I actually think it's possible, if not likely, as well, that one will be built soon.

Indigo/Chapters is planning to open many new stores from what I have heard/read recently. The retrenchment was part of the deal to OK Indigo's takeover. The company had to agree not to open any stores for 2 years and not to expand where they already had a presence for 5 (expansion is permitted as of 2007).

I found an old article outlining the deal -

Chapters-Indigo merger progresses
Updated Thu. Apr. 19 2001 7:21 AM ET

Canadian Press

The merger of two Canadian book retailers took a big step forward this week after the Competition Bureau submitted a strict set of guidelines the new company will have to live by.

The guidelines, hammered out with the new company and submitted to the Competition Tribunal, outline a series of restrictions the corporate giant will have to live by.

The combined company cannot open new stores for two years. Also included in the deal is a five-year code of conduct governing its relations with publishers.

The application specifies the 13 big-box bookstores to be sold, along with 10 mall stores. Indigo Online's assets also are to be sold, but not the trade name.

Indigo's distribution centre in Mississauga, Ont., is to be sold and three brand names - Classic Books, Prospero, and SmithBooks - also must be offered for sale.

As part of the deal, if approved by the Tribunal, Chapters-Indigo can't buy a bookstore in a shopping centre where it already has a store for five years.

During that time, it must reduce its holdings to one store per shopping centre or mall, and must open its mall operations to new competition.

Heather Reisman - the Indigo founder who with husband Gerald Schwartz acquired Chapters in February for $121.5 million in a strenuously contested takeover - wants to merge the two companies and needs approval from the competition authorities to do so.

The bureau concluded that the proposed merger, without these remedies, would otherwise have resulted in a substantial prevention and lessening of competition in the purchase and retail sale of English-language trade books in Canada for both consumers and publishers, the competition watchdog said.

The Competition Bureau believes that the measures outlined in this consent order application will contribute to a more competitive market for books in Canada which will benefit consumers, publishers and independent retailers, Konrad von Finckenstein, Commissioner of Competition, added in a statement.

A list of the 23 stores to be sold by Chapters-Indigo as part of the Competition Bureau's conditions on approval of the merger of Canada's two biggest bookstore chains:

British Columbia

Chapters in Surrey (Strawberry Hill)

Chapters in Richmond (Richport Town Centre)

Alberta

Chapters in Calgary (Brick Plaza)

Indigo in Edmonton (South Edmonton)

Ontario

Chapters in Belleville (Quinte Mall)

Indigo in Kingston (Princess Street)

Chapters in Oakville (Oakville Town Centre)

Indigo in Scarborough (Scarborough Town Centre)

Chapters in Toronto (Runnymede Theatre and Yonge at Steeles)

Indigo in Toronto (Yorkdale Shopping Centre)

Chapters in Woodbridge (East Woodbridge Centre)

Smithbooks in Ottawa (Rideau Centre)

Coles in Burlington (Burlington Mall)

Coles in Mississauga (Eaton Sheridan Place)

Coles in Toronto (East York Town Centre, First Canadian Place, Centrepointe Mall and Sheppard Centre)

Quebec

Chapters in Montreal (Rockland Montreal Centre)

Smithbooks in Laval (Carrefour Laval)

Smithbooks in Montreal (Place Ville Marie Shopping Promenade)

Smithbooks in Pointe-Claire (Fairview Pointe Claire)

Old Posted Feb 27, 2007, 2:47 PM

I think when it comes to Saint John and the shopping is that we are more or less "followers" and "best price" I think retail stores like the Sony Store, Gap, Fairweather etc. see that. for example, The Sony store was going for along time, when Future Shop opened it closed. Everybody flocked to the big box store. Roots and Pseudio for example where at one time 2 popular retailers in the mall and once American Eagle opened. Roots is out of business, and Psuedio is usually dead everytime I am at the mall, now that Old Navy opened, American Eagles business has probably dropped and Old Navy is absolutely crazy especially on a saturday. Another would be East Side Mario's when that restaurant opened you had to wait 30 minutes for a table, once Boston Pizza opened, the wait lines where not 30 minutes at East Side Marios anymore, it moved over to Boston Pizza. Iam not saying that these businesses will all close down because of it, but maybe if a Gap store opened it may push Pseudio even closer to going out of business and Old Navy's business will decline (I think they are owned by the same company). It seems to me that its almost like a revolving door one comes in the other goes out. I know also that it may just seem that it is the cost of doing business, but everytime I go to the Regent mall or Champlain place you do not see empty spaces or the coming soon sign becuase a store went out of bussiness.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2007, 4:12 PM

I know this is old news....but it was on the radio today.......

[HAMPTON INN COMING]
FEB28/07 11:00AM

ANOTHER SIGN OF OUR VIBRANT ECONOMY -- WORK IS UNDERWAY ON A FIVE STOREY - 120-ROOM HAMPTON INN.
THE NEW INN IS BEING BUILT IN THE POWER RETAIL CENTER OFF WESTMORLAND ROAD.
THE INN WILL INCLUDE AN INDOOR POOL -- MEETING ROOMS -- AND -- EXERCISE ROOM.
THE HOTEL WAS APPROVED LATE LAST YEAR AS PART OF THE ONGOING RETAIL DEVELOPMENT IN THE AREA.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2007, 7:33 PM

The Highlands of Drury Cove is the largest residential community to be built in Saint John in more than 30 years. Exclusive construction by Blair Construction Inc. and restrictive covenants administered by the developer will ensure the use and construction of residential properties and general business units will conform to the unique concept of the development. Each home will be a custom design with no two homes being the same.

The company will work closely with each home owner on site location, design, budgeting and timely completion of the project. A superior extended warranty, building plans "stamped" by a Structural Engineer and exclusive use of individual home designs are all value added assets to your home investment. Our homes are designed to express the latest features and trends built around individual and family lifestyle needs.

The simple association with this subdivision will represent value to all who aspire to quality and asset appreciation as enduring qualities in their home investment.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2007, 7:41 PM

Lily Lake Pavilion
The new pavilion will feature a unique labour museum. There will be a full-service banquet facility and meeting space will be available. You will also be able to stop for a hot snack or cool ice cream. The pavilion will be a springboard for recreational opportunities in the park.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2007, 7:48 PM

Partridge Island

Old Posted Mar 1, 2007, 8:05 PM

Amsterdam Inn - Quispamsis

Size of Building:
33,000 SF

Start Date:
October, 2006

Expected Completion Date:
Summer, 2007

Special Features:
Wood Frame Construction
3 - Story Building w/ Basement
Pool
Dining Hall & Bar
2 Conference Rooms
49 Room Inn
First Inn/Hotel in Quispamsis

Old Posted Mar 1, 2007, 8:26 PM

Saint John vs. Moncton....

One reason Saint John is winning is energy. The province recently committed to refurbishing the city's Point Lepreau nuclear power plant, and construction of the Canaport liquefied natural gas terminal began in mid-September. Combined, the two projects will pump $3 billion in capital expenditure into the local energy sector over the next three years and help position the oceanside city as one of the Eastern Seaboard's influential energy generation, processing and distribution hubs. Meanwhile, the call-centre boom that benefited Moncton over the past decade is fading. "Existing ones are expanding and new ones are still coming," says Pamela MacFarlane, research director with Colliers International (Atlantic) Inc., "but it is not as prolific as in past years. The current government is not pushing in the same way."

What's more, now that the Canadian and U.S. governments are committed to building a new border crossing for trucks at St. Stephen, N.B. — a crossing that feeds into Saint John — the coastal city is also hoping to lay claim to the coveted hub status that interior Moncton historically holds. "We will be the access for all traffic going back and forth between New England and Atlantic Canada," says Thorne.

It's essential to remember that the Greater Moncton International Airport, regional base for FedEx and Purolator, is larger than that of Saint John, where fog rules the runways, and that Moncton is situated squarely on the Trans-Canada Highway, anchoring the Moncton-Truro-Halifax corridor. It's hard to imagine Saint John will ever entirely replace Moncton as Atlantic Canada's distribution centre, but it is worth considering.

The Greater Moncton Area isn't asleep at the wheel. Molson Canada broke ground on a new plant this summer, Apex Industries Inc. is making steel beams for the New York Times' newest building, and Monctonians can lord their big-box Costco over Saint Johners. As well, a certain sophistication prevails in a city where French and English cultures co-exist.

But Saint John is pushing ahead. An aggressive immigration strategy is attracting Asians — "I am now offering services in Korean and Chinese," says Thorne, who is also president of Century 21 Real Estate River-Valley Realty Ltd. — and outlying communities are expanding. Meanwhile, folks like Kevin Francis are bringing high-tech operations to the city. The CEO of CenterBeam Inc., a California-based IT firm, opened an advanced client-support centre in Saint John in 2003 and is now searching for more employees. "Saint John has diversified its economy," says Francis. "It has become a major centre in terms of technology and the new economy."

Last edited by SJTOKO; Mar 1, 2007 at 8:30 PM. Reason: Edit

Old Posted Mar 2, 2007, 4:48 AM
Our Tide is Rising

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJTOKO View Post
Saint John vs. Moncton....
We have visited this many times already dude....we have decided its pointless to even try...

Quote:
the call-centre boom that benefited Moncton over the past decade is fading.
DAVID SHIPLEY
Telegraph-Journal
Published Thursday January 11th, 2007
Appeared on page A1

The Hub City and surrounding communities are poised to add more than 1,000 new call-centre jobs over the next two years, according to a new study on the industry.

The sector has the potential to grow from 8,171 jobs in 2006 to 9,309 jobs in 2008, according to the preliminary findings of the call-centre study obtained by the Telegraph-Journal.

Doesnt sound like its slowing to me

people are flipping out over the possible new refinery adding 1000 jobs...

Old Posted Mar 2, 2007, 4:52 AM
Our Tide is Rising

But besides that article those are some great looking developments!

I particularily like the Partridge Island park idea

Old Posted Mar 2, 2007, 4:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stu_pendousmat2 View Post
We have visited this many times already dude....we have decided its pointless to even try...

DAVID SHIPLEY
Telegraph-Journal
Published Thursday January 11th, 2007
Appeared on page A1

The Hub City and surrounding communities are poised to add more than 1,000 new call-centre jobs over the next two years, according to a new study on the industry.

The sector has the potential to grow from 8,171 jobs in 2006 to 9,309 jobs in 2008, according to the preliminary findings of the call-centre study obtained by the Telegraph-Journal.

Doesnt sound like its slowing to me

people are flipping out over the possible new refinery adding 1000 jobs

Why are you trying then man...

Old Posted Mar 2, 2007, 5:02 AM
Our Tide is Rising

Quote:
Why are you trying then man...
Im not, i just wanted to clarify that point, but besides that I dont want to fight over it...ive spent enough time doing that already

just thought it was kinda funny cause i assume you got that article from the same paper

Old Posted Mar 2, 2007, 7:39 AM

Located in Saint John directly across the water from the Royal Kennebeccasis Yacht Club, New Brunswick's premiere yacht club since 1898.

The Moorings of Millidgeville© is an exclusive, private waterfront residential enclave of fine homes with the amenities you expect to find where you will build your top of the line dream home. Second to none, in all respects! Enjoy a front row seat to a parade of boats going to and from the largest yacht club in the Province. Have a dock and moor your boat!

This cove in the heart of Millidgeville enjoys the most sunshine in the entire area.

In a waterfront city, land value comes in several grades. Land with true water access is the ultimate prime grade. This is the finest location in the region. Location has more to do with property value than any other measure. An irresistible vacation lifestyle awaits you minutes from Uptown. Enjoy the absolute highest level of services available in the area. Reliable municipal water and wastewater and all wiring is underground. Safe sidewalk with curbs. Architectural Dark-Sky streetlights shine down, not sideways.

The developer of this subdivision has gone to extremes to make this the pre-eminent spot for folks building an upscale custom home facing on the water.

Situated on a peninsula all lots have a southern exposure. Lots front on the water allowing for a floating dock for your boat. Directly across the cove at the Royal Kennebeccasis Yacht Club is a haulout, pump-out and marine repair facilities.

A visiting western artist perhaps described the difference in The Moorings and other developments in the area best by saying –

"It is like comparing a moving picture to a still life photograph when looking at these lots versus the other waterfront lots I have seen in this area."

and

The Moorings has the highest level of municipal services in this area including:

City Water Service – reliable and lots of pressure for home sprinkler if desired
Fire protection - hydrants (classic style) - fire station is one mile away - lower
insurance rates
City sanitary sewage – reliable, no maintenance
Storm water collection system – no ditches
Concrete sidewalk
Upscale rolled concrete curbs for easy driveway access and home location
Upscale Dark-Sky cut-off streetlights shine on the ground - not in your eyes
Underground wiring enclosed in conduit – no poles - no unattractive
overhead wires – wiring is unaffected by ice storms, high winds, etc.
Wired by Aliant and Rogers for high speed internet - ready for your new
"Smart wired Home" now

The Moorings is only two miles from the Saint John Regional Hospital, New Brunswick’s largest hospital which is noted to have one of the top coronary care units in the country.

Avoid a long stressful commute! Uptown Saint John, the business district, is less than ten minutes away, as is the Imperial Theatre, Harbour Station, New Brunswick Museum, City Market, Art Galleries, shopping malls, specialty shops, etc. Save on transportation cost. Bus service is available at the end of the street.

When you purchase a lot in The Moorings, you own to the water’s edge, - there is no public buffer/walking trail between your home and the water. With the RKYC (Yacht Club) a hop, skip or paddle away, you can drop over and watch the races from the yacht club veranda or better still, you can stay home and watch them from your own deck.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2007, 2:09 PM

The Moorings of Millidgeville is a development I'm against. It is ruining beautiful shoreline, but more-so it is a very gaudy, short-sighted project. Much of it is ridiculously close to the water, and at very low elevations. Even a small rise in water levels will devastate the development - heck I've seen spring freshets flood that area. The developer is just out to make a quick buck from incoming Americans and Upper Canadians wanting large scale homes on the water. Which is fine I guess, but it isn't the most responsible thing to do - both environmentally and financially.

Also, the Lily Lake Pavilion is already done isn't it? Maybe I'm wrong, but anyway it is good to see it restored.

The Partridge Island stuff is fantastic, but we've seen countless groups try to restore it over many years and nothing ever gets done. I'd love to see it, but I think we should focus on getting the Uptown area re-developed first, then move on.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2007, 10:57 PM

Published Monday February 26th, 2007
Appeared on page C1/C2

BUILD IT, AND THEY WILL COME

Dave MacLean
telegraph-journal

Editor's Note: This is the second of a three-part series on Greater Saint John's impending energy boom.

Saint John's workforce is set to explode.

But who will fill the new positions?

If a proposed second refinery becomes a reality, Irving Oil will add 5,000 construction jobs to the Port City's economy and would employ about 1,000 people on a full-time basis to run the operation.

A second nuclear reactor at Point Lepreau would keep the job market booming in both the construction and operation phases, involving employment opportunities in the thousands.

But the province is already facing a shortage of skilled labour, so the multi-billlion-dollar question remains: Where would all these new employees come from?

Irving Oil is taking a proactive approach, consulting with educators and government about how best to handle the anticipated boom in jobs as Saint John cements its place as Atlantic Canada's energy hub.

"Some of this is a few years out, but we are currently discussing how we should move forward on this to make sure that our community is ready and to make sure that the company is ready," said Irving Oil spokeswoman Jennifer Parker. "We're already having discussions with universities and community colleges, high schools and government, just to look at this issue and make sure we're ready to move forward."

The company also recently forked over a cheque for $50,000 to cover one-third of the budget for a strategic plan being developed by the True Growth Post-Secondary Task Force. The plan will determine the needs of both students and employers in the Saint John region over the coming years.

"Since announcing our intention to explore the possibility of building a second refinery in Saint John, we have been consulting with many people across a number of sectors to discuss how the community and our company should be getting ready," said Tanya Chapman, senior manager of organizational development with Irving Oil.

"This project would employ thousands of people and create a number of economic spinoffs, and we want to ensure we are sharing the benefits with the broader community over the long term. Our support of (the plan) will not only help further develop a talent pool for the energy hub, it will also support the ongoing development of social networks, infrastructure and community support required for long-term sustainability."

Irving Oil recognizes it likely won't be able to fill all the positions locally or even provincially. The company is already looking beyond its closest borders.

"It's really going to require a mixed approach," said Parker. "We would require a significant number of skilled people who are fresh out of community college or university, but we'd also be looking to employ more experienced people from our area, such as people who have experience with other energy projects or other major projects from elsewhere in the province or the region.

"Beyond that, we will probably also need to look at employing experienced people from across the country and we may also need to think about some opportunities linked to immigration."

Parker said the company doesn't yet have exact details on the numbers of positions it would need, but it's safe to say that a project of this size would require a cross-section of employees with a vast array of skills.

"It's a bit early to say exactly how those numbers will break down," she said. "But we do know that we're going to need a mix of professionals and some examples would be mechanical, electrical and chemical engineers, but we also know that we'll need a good mix of tradespeople. Some of the trades would be pipe-fitters, boilermakers, electricians, millwrights and carpenters."

Dr. Ed Doherty, the minister responsible for post-secondary education, training and labour, says his department is already working with key players in the energy sector in the hopes of alleviating the labour shortage.

"It's an issue that we're working very, very hard on," said Doherty. "It's very important that we as a government work in close co-operation with the stakeholders to identify what the needs will be. It's important that we be able to respond to the changing demands of the workforce."

Doherty said his department is constantly reviewing the curriculum offered at the 11 campuses of the New Brunswick Community College around the province. The NBCC system graduates about 2,700 students each year and the minister says it's important that New Brunswick's educational institutions identify the province's manpower needs and strive to produce graduates to meet those needs.

"Within the community college system, we have the ability to respond reasonably quickly to the needs of employers," said Doherty. "Sometimes with highly specialized things it's not as easy because you have to hire instructors. But we work in close co-operation with industry, trying to identify what the needs will be. For instance, Atomic Energy of Canada has worked very closely (with the NBCC) in developing the workforce that will be necessary for the refurbishment of Point Lepreau.

"In addition to that, we have launched our commission on post-secondary education, which is going to look at all aspects of post-secondary education - universities, community colleges, online learning and private educational institutions - and it will come up with some recommendations regarding the co-ordination of programs and that sort of thing. That report will be out in August, so we're well on top of it."

Parker says Irving Oil remains in contact with the department and is providing as much information as it can in order to help in the planning.

"We share with (government) the job numbers that we have to date and if we have more detailed information about how that will break down, we'll need to go back and share that as well," she said. "We want to make sure that this is top of mind for them as they're doing their planning. And we're also looking at ways that we can collaborate to make sure that we have a ready work force and that our company is ready to hire the people coming out of our universities and community colleges."

Energy Minister Jack Keir is enthusiastic about the positive spinoffs that could be headed to Saint John, but he warns the projects must be scheduled effectively in order to maximize the efforts of the local workforce.

"There's a few things we have to look at," Keir said. "We have to make sure all these projects are timed properly. You can't have the refurbishment of Point Lepreau and the construction of an oil refinery going on at the same time. You have to make sure that from a scheduling point of view, that these projects are planned in such a way as to keep that (need for) manpower high, but fairly level throughout, so that you don't get that 'big project syndrome' because there's always a letdown after a big project."

Irving Oil is hearing the same message from New Brunswick natives contemplating a move home to fill some of the anticipated job openings.

"Part of what we've heard from people, in some cases they're quite keen to come home, but it doesn't make good sense for them to come home for just one project for a couple of years of employment," said Parker. "If we can work together with the building trades and look at a continuous cycle where we have the LNG project going on right now, then we have the Lepreau refurbishment and then potentially we have a second refinery and maybe there's other projects before or after that, you start to look at a good five or 10 years of work and I think that's much more attractive to people who are thinking about making a moving somewhere and making a lifestyle change."

And while the refinery is still not a fait accompli, Parker says Irving Oil is already receiving calls from prospective employees.

While the company is not in a position to hire refinery workers, it is always actively recruiting.

"Many of these things are a few years away and in the shorter term, we are always looking for talented people to join our company and we have some current opportunities posted on our website," Parker said. "We've already had people calling asking 'How can I get a job at the second refinery?' and we've been letting them know that we're not at that stage yet, but certainly we're letting them know that we have some opportunities available today and we encourage them to apply."

Published Wednesday February 28th, 2007
Appeared on page C3

Energy possibilities endless, Keir says

Mary-Ellen Saunders
Telegraph-Journal

Dressed in business suits and sipping wine, members of Fusion Saint John gathered Monday night to hear about the city's coming energy hub and the possibilities for green energy in the city.

Fusion Saint John, a social network for the community's younger demographic group, met at Sebastian restaurant on Princess Street to hear from energy representatives in the province and have their questions answered.

The organization said the group's members heard a lot about energy in the media and wanted to learn first-hand exactly what was going to happen in the city.

Energy Minister Jack Keir told the audience of the energy opportunities for the city, including the burning of petroleum coke at the Coleson Cove generating station, the LNG pipeline, refurbishment of Point Lepreau and the possibility of a second Irving Oil refinery. He said energy is the industry that will make New Brunswick self-sufficient as promised by the Liberal government.

He also spoke of connections the province was building between the United States and New Brunswick.

Keir said New Brunswick will be the energy exporter to the northeastern United States, and will build an expertise in energy that could be exported worldwide. He said if the energy is produced at a low-enough cost in Newfoundland, the province would consider buying the energy and exporting the energy created at Coleson Cove to the United States.

"There has to be a balance for the energy between economics and the environment," said Keir. "We can't forget the footprint we are leaving for our children."

He said the province is already a leader in wind-generated energy and is studying tidal power.

"The possibilities are endless," said Keir.

Jeff Landry spoke for Irving Oil. He talked about the possible jobs, construction and otherwise, education opportunities and housing projects that could come from a second oil refinery. He said Irving is also concerned about the environment and is studying tidal power.

He said Irving may be getting involved in a tidal-powered project in the "not too distant future."

"If the second refinery is built, we want it in a province with an environment conscience," said Landry. "We think there can be a balance."

While the audience wanted to know when these jobs would be coming, how long they would last, what housing they had in mind and what courses young people should be signing up for, Landry said the company is still studying and would have more answers when the project is further along.

Published Monday February 26th, 2007
Appeared on page C5

Vision 2015 begins seeking citizens' input next month

John Mazerolle
Telegraph-Journal

The citizens' group that will ask Saint Johners what they want for the city's future has named its chairman.

François Beaulieu, a lawyer with Clark Drummie and the former chairman of the Saint John francophone organization ARC-f, will head up the Vision 2015 citizens' advisory committee that is scheduled to begin meeting with the public between late March and early April.

The 11-member committee is an offshoot of the Vision 2015 steering committee, which is taking a close look at the city's communications. services and governance structure.

"Every municipality in Canada needs to go through something like this, and I'm glad Saint John is doing it and I'm glad common council realized it was necessary," Beaulieu said.

Kim Graham, one of three city staff members behind Vision 2015, said the group will begin contacting Saint Johners in mid-March. The meetings are meant to look beyond typical town hall concerns such as potholes and focus on the city's long-term goals.

Calgary recently went through a similar process and asked citizens questions like, "What do you value about Calgary?" and "What is it like for you to live here?"

A booklet being sent to every household in the city in late March or early April will include a survey on its last page that will be used during the community consultations, Graham said.

"We're going to approach as many groups as we can," she said, adding that they want to approach people of different cultures, backgrounds and faiths. So far the group has drawn up a preliminary list of about 50 organizations it would like to drop in on.

The Vision 2015 process grew from a 232-page report by the Chartwell consulting firm that recommended a restructuring of government departments, boards, agencies commissions and how services are delivered to the public.

The document said common council and the city administration had no clear and collective vision.

Beaulieu said he has no concerns about the citizens' committee so far. He says he's impressed with the other committee members.

The group includes vice-chair man Michael Schulze, the owner of several McDonald's franchises in town; Sarah Jones, a UNBSJ student who is also on the board of the Saint John Arts Centre; Susan Atkinson, the environment manager with Aliant; Daniel Goodwin, an Irving Oil spokesman; and Stephanie Bell, one of the founders of the social organization Fusion Saint John.

"We've got a dynamic team around the table," he said.

Published Thursday March 1st, 2007
Appeared on page C5

Bus stop won't be near Rothesay Common: mayor

Mia Urquhart
Telegraph-Journal

Town officials are not planning to put a bus stop anywhere near Rothesay Common.

"That will never happen," said Mayor Bill Bishop of the rumour that was beginning to spread.

"That is sacred territory in Rothesay. . . . They would hang all members of council at high noon if that were to happen."

The town has, however, identified two potential stops and a possible third location for the proposed commuter bus service from the suburbs to Saint John. Bishop said they would like to see one stop at the Rothesay Arena and one at the East Riverside-Kingshurt Park, near the golf course.

The other possible site is at the entrance to Kennebecasis Park.

Bishop said he would like to see at least two pickup and drop-off locations - preferably at opposite ends of town to better serve the residents.

In January, the federal government handed $4.8 million to the city to create the commuter transit service. The city and Saint John Transit are responsible for administering the system, while the suburbs are responsible for creating the pickup and drop-off sites.

For the first year, that is the only financial responsibility of those communities. In Hampton, for example, the town is in the midst of a rezoning application for a parcel of land for the proposed bus stop, complete with 50 parking spaces.

Bishop said Rothesay won't end up spending much money because both of the town's first two choices can already accommodate parked cars. The only thing the town will have to do is advertise the bus schedule to its residents.

At the end of the one-year pilot program, communities can then decide whether to become part of the program on a long-term basis. "If the ridership is adequate then we would buy into the system and if it isn't, we'd opt out," said Bishop.

In neighbouring Quispamsis, town officials have not yet decided on bus stop locations. Mayor Ron Maloney said they're still waiting to hear back from the committee on possible sites.

The service is scheduled to begin in September with several weekday runs in the morning and at the end of the workday.

The commission plans to have 11 runs on weekday mornings and the same number in the evening. Three of these will be from Grand Bay-Westfield, two from Hampton and six from the Kennebecasis Valley. The first run would be at 7:30 a.m.

Hampton's proposed site met with opposition during a public hearing earlier this month over rezoning land for the project.

One resident complained that his father's view will be spoiled and his property values will go down if the town rezones adjacent land to install a bus terminal and 50 parking places near the corner of Main Street and William Bell Drive.

Mayor Jim Hovey said the objection would be forwarded to the town's planning advisory committee for consideration.

Council is expected to consider a recommendation from the committee at its next meeting on March 13.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2007, 4:53 AM

http://img254.imageshack.us/my.php?i...intjohnow6.gif
A picture of what the new Hampton inn will look like !!

Old Posted Mar 3, 2007, 12:58 PM

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces