HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West

Old Posted Jul 8, 2005, 11:43 PM

Exclamation What's the deal with LA Live?

Okay, if “groundbreaking” for LA Live is only 4 months away... shouldn't AEG have already released better renditions of the project instead of the “cartoon” like pictures we have been subject to? I mean, I still don’t know how this new hotel/condo tower will look like? What architectural elements will it have other than Kobe Bryant plastered on the side? How is this image projected onto the tower? Or is it part of the tower? Have they announced the architect?

Isn’t this something that they should have nailed down by now and provided to the public? I mean, Grand Ave, as slow as they are, have provided more details and “hoopla” over their project to the public and they are over 1 year from breaking ground. (yes I know that that particular project is a city and county owned venture, whereas AEG’s project is private… but come on!)

I want to see more news, better architect renderings, and quality images/photos of how the new 55-story tower will look in downtown. It would be cool if they could be more energized over the project and share more information with the public (i.e. status updates, new pictures, announced retailers, eaters, etc.)… I mean eventually it is the public that will attend and patronize the businesses throughout.

Anyway, I guess we have to settle with what we have until we get something better….

Images courtesy of LAB:

Nokia Theater

Nokia Theater breakdown

Hilton Hotel again

Hotel breakdown

Restaurants, pedestrian-friendly, night-life haven

Grammys may build "Music Museum"

LA Live!

Old Posted Jul 8, 2005, 11:58 PM

I really like the hotel design in these pictures. i hope something similar to that is built. i read somewhere that groundbreaking is in september. i think you posted the article actually.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2005, 12:08 AM
BANNED

What does the first phase entail exactly?

Old Posted Jul 9, 2005, 12:12 AM

I think the hotel is the first phase. And are they going to expand the convention center in the future to that open block? I think thats been the plan all along...

Old Posted Jul 9, 2005, 12:31 AM
Ridin' into the sunset

Everything that I've read and heard about this project has the Nokia Theater as the first phase.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Jul 9, 2005, 12:35 AM

Yeah, I have actually read conflicting reports about the Theater versus the Hotel. Something about the theater has to be built first due to underground parking shared with the hotel or something along those lines???

Again, AEG gives us nothing!

Old Posted Jul 9, 2005, 1:11 AM

i think the theater and hotel are both part of the first phase.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2005, 2:29 AM
Ridin' The Metro

Hype doesn't really do any good at this point. We urbanists make up a pretty small part of the public I think. There'll be lots of hype when the project is ready to open.

I think the only reason Grand Avenue is being so public with info is because they have to, due to it being on public land. They have to do an EIR, have community meetings, get approvals from City and County boards and agencies, etc. LA Live is avoiding a lot of this.

I have to guess LA Live is moving forward - I find it difficult to believe that in this hot market this project would stall now, after so much hard work.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2005, 3:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongBeachUrbanist
Hype doesn't really do any good at this point. We urbanists make up a pretty small part of the public I think. There'll be lots of hype when the project is ready to open.

I think the only reason Grand Avenue is being so public with info is because they have to, due to it being on public land. They have to do an EIR, have community meetings, get approvals from City and County boards and agencies, etc. LA Live is avoiding a lot of this.

I have to guess LA Live is moving forward - I find it difficult to believe that in this hot market this project would stall now, after so much hard work.
Aside from the fact that AEG is one of the country's most powerful firms.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2005, 7:43 AM

We met with Lennar, which purchased the site directly east of the Staples, and they told us that AEG is currently sealing some last minute major tenants for their retail.

Lennar will include lotsa retail! They asked us what do WE think should be included. There will already be a Whole Foods and Bed Bath and Beyond. What would you guys like to see? I can pass the info along to them.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2005, 8:36 AM
Ridin' The Metro

Whole Foods and BBB? Makes me nervous. Whole Foods will be competing with Ralphs only 3 blocks away, and I wonder how BBB will fit into an urban entertainment district. Just my two cents.

While I'm thinking about it, here's a wish list of chains I wouldn't mind seeing Downtown:

Dean and Deluca
Anthropologie
NikeTown
Urban Outfitters
Banana Republic
Apple Store
Virgin Megastore
Sephora
Tommy Bahamas
Eddie Bauer
Vroman's Books
Nine West
some stationery store (i.e., Crane and Co.)
some chocolatier/candy store
some toy/hobby store (not KB)
a world-class newsstand

Old Posted Jul 9, 2005, 8:57 AM

whole foods is kinda different though. I would probably go to ralphs for my regular groceries and to whole foods for a special cheese.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2005, 10:06 AM
urbanphile

Yeah, I wouldn't worry about whole foods. And I'll tell you what I have heard from DT residents over and over again: A need for pet services is big! I'm talking about Petco's, vets, and altho not a store, dog parks. I'm sure it's no surprise that all these loft dwellers who are single have a "best friend" in the house, plus dogs are good for urban hoods. Can't tell you how many people I meet just walking my dog.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2005, 4:39 PM

Whole Foods is not considered a competitor with Ralphs in the same way that Neiman Marcus isn't considered a competitor with Target. But I thought there was supposed to be a Whole Foods at the Grand Avenue Project?

That block is good for "destination" retail, like Apple Store, Niketown, or the Toys R Us in Times Square, which are all more than just a place to sell goods.

ETA: How about something like GameWorks? That would be a perfect location.

Last edited by bobcat; Jul 9, 2005 at 5:10 PM.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2005, 6:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongBeachUrbanist
Whole Foods and BBB? Makes me nervous.

I think caution is advisable at this time, because too much of a good thing could end up proving the law of unintended consequences. If any of these projs & their tenants get too far out in front of demand, & if they're greeted by the opposite of what the Daily Grill is experiencing right now, that's going to put a big damper on the hood for yrs to come.

There's a lot of chicken or egg issues coming up in the future. Or a question of what is most necessary at the outset to support something else that comes later: More residents living in DT or more of the stores & services they require before they're truly satisfied with their hood, or visa versa?

Old Posted Jul 9, 2005, 7:56 PM
Ridin' The Metro

You know what, I need to remember not to get too caught up in worrying about specific businesses and which will succeed or fail. If Bed Bath and Beyond doesn't work, it will close up shop, period. Stores fail even in the best retail environments, that's a fact of life.

(That said, I've got to imagine the folks at BBB wouldn't choose to locate a store in DTLA if they thought it would fail. I'm not a retail expert, I'm only going on uninformed gut feeling.)

The key is whether or not the overall sea level is going up or down. If it's going up, all boats will rise, with only a few exceptions. If on the other hand many boats are sinking, this could indicate troubled waters have arrived.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2005, 9:12 PM

That area can support plenty in my opinion. not only is it going to draw from thousands of residents (maybe 5 - 7000 from project already announced), it will draw from tourists as wells as locals who dont live in the area because it will be a destination. I dont think we will see these stores for a couple of years anyway, so by that time, there will be a more solid population base. By the way, which project is Lennar working on? metropolis?

Old Posted Jul 10, 2005, 2:16 AM

A Bed Bath and Beyond or equivilant is crucial for downtown. Loft dwellers need to be able to buy duvet covers and welcome mats too, don't you think?

Old Posted Jul 10, 2005, 4:45 AM
Ridin' The Metro

I know I'm repeating myself, but I feel strongly that LA needs a Dean and Deluca. According to their website, they've got stores in Kansas City and Charlotte, for shit's sake!

And if they do open one here, what better place than Downtown LA? They started in Downtown Manhattan after all.

Something like FAO Schwartz would be a cool "destination retail" store, as bobcat calls it. Except of course FAO is in bad financial shape, but you get the idea.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2005, 9:39 PM

^Yeah, I mentioned before that Dean and Delucca would be great downtown. All the ex-Manhattanites would be breaking down the doors to get in on opening day.

Quote:
Something like FAO Schwartz would be a cool "destination retail" store, as bobcat calls it. Except of course FAO is in bad financial shape, but you get the idea.
I felt the Toys R Us Times Square store was a lot more impressive than the Manhattan FAO Schwarz store and something like that in DT would be awesome. I wonder of a local company like Mattel or Disney could be persuaded to open a huge store DT.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West