HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 14, 2024, 4:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
The path hugs the south side of the border. Unless you're in Niagara Falls or Newfoundland it's not a total eclipse. Solar system hates Eastern Canada. F.U.
Central Canada.

Eastern Canada is getting some great views of it. Hopefully the weather holds for us. I'll be in Freddy to watch it. My office had some great views of it when it happened 10ish years ago, so I'm sure we'll have a good time this time too.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2024, 4:53 PM

I'm playing it by ear. Early April is just about the least likely time for it to be clear in Newfoundland so I'm not getting my hopes up. If the weather does look good I'll swing out near Clarenville. St. John's is outside the path of totality so I'll need to travel to really enjoy it.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2024, 5:48 PM
New Brunswick booster!

Centreville, NB. My hometown. It's in western New Brunswick and dead center of totality.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2024, 7:22 PM

Even if you can't get out of Toronto to see it it's still going to be incredible. For Toronto it will reach 99.8% coverage at 3:20pm. Even if it's cloudy it will still make the city go dark for a few minutes.

I'll be heading over to a tiny pvt beach at the Royal Canadian Yacht Club on Toronto Island. It should make for a great view of the city skyline plunging into darkness. We plan on lighting a fire and taking some cool photos. If it was a few weeks later we could have sailed out into the middle of the lake to watch it but my buddies boat won't be ready for that.

You can check out locations and times here fore when it will peak near you. https://eclipse2024.org/eclipse_cities/statemap.html

Montreal will go full 100% coverage at 3:27pm

Old Posted Mar 14, 2024, 8:10 PM

Just a reminder to everyone it is Very dangerous to stare at this Eclipse with the naked eye. Please use proper filtration such as Eclipse glasses. However during Totality when the Sun is completely covered, that part is ok to look at with naked eye. When the Sun reappears then don't stare.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2024, 8:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northernlights99 View Post
Just a reminder to everyone it is Very dangerous to stare at this Eclipse with the naked eye. Please use proper filtration such as Eclipse glasses. However during Totality when the Sun is completely covered, that part is ok to look at with naked eye. When the Sun reappears then don't stare.
I'm sure it's fine.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2024, 9:56 PM

Anything good for the Dear Orange Leader is good enough for me!

Old Posted Mar 14, 2024, 11:02 PM
early dogecoin investor

Aiming to watch on/near the Bouctouche Dune in eastern New Brunswick.

My Dad who is a huge space nerd is making the trip out from Calgary to see it since he's never seen a total eclipse before. We made the trip down to southern Montana in 2017 but we only saw about 75% totality. Hopefully the weather is nice and not our typical Maritime rain.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2024, 11:20 PM
It's Hammer Time

I'll be at McMaster University's solar ellipse viewing party: https://planetarium.physics.mcmaster.ca/2024-eclipse/

Old Posted Mar 14, 2024, 11:34 PM

Do y'all think a 10am drive to Niagara Falls from Toronto is gonna cut it with the traffic? 9am? I'd like to keep the drive under 3 hrs, but I'm also not a morning person lol... dunno if we need to shell out $1000 for a hotel room the night before. Would be nice to get lunch there before the show. When's the last time a total eclipse passed so close to a similarly big city in NA, and how did it go?

Old Posted Mar 15, 2024, 12:26 AM
Mooderator

I think that 98.9% totality is enough for me. Maybe I will hitch a ride with le calmar to Brockville and we can stand together in the Walmart parking lot for one minute, then have an awkward ride back to Ottawa.

It's also April, so the probability it's cloudy or rainy are about even with Acajack writing ROC that day.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2024, 12:37 AM

^ That’s what I thought too, initially… But apparently, even 99% isn’t even remotely close to 100%. You just won’t experience the real thing. So I decided to take the afternoon off work and go for a drive. Probably will just head to Johnstown.

The closest point to Ottawa would actually be Spencerville but I might as well enjoy an extra 30 sec of darkness if I go farther south. If you want to sit next to a baby come along . Or spot me in the one park in Johnstown, that’s probably where I’m gonna be. Or Fort Wellington close by, which is nicer and with an open view on the river. Or Riverwalk park downtown Prescott. Probably the latter now that I think of it.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2024, 12:49 AM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by le calmar View Post
^ That’s what I thought too, initially… But apparently, even 99% isn’t even remotely close to 100%. You just won’t experience the real thing. So I decided to take the afternoon off work and go for a drive. Probably will just head to Johnstown.
Schools are closed here because all those damned kids are just going to skip it for the eclipse.

Who the hell is going to work on April 8 where the dark shadow passes?

Old Posted Mar 15, 2024, 12:56 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by People_talking View Post
Aiming to watch on/near the Bouctouche Dune in eastern New Brunswick.
That's exactly where I was going to go, if I could, but I can't

I imagine the Irving Eco-Park will be very popular. If I were you, I'd aim to be at their parking lot about 90 minutes early. It will get filled up.

Otherwise, there is a nice park along the Bouctouche riverfront just east of the bridge with lots of parking.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2024, 1:22 AM
Ham-burgher

I'll wander to the park across the street, if skies are clear (east Hamilton).

It would be nice to drive farther southward or into Niagara to enjoy a longer view, but I think all the routes (main highways and back roads) will be clogged with traffic from the GTA.

And it's a "school day" after all (for the working folk... I think I read that school boards will have PA days on April 8)

Last edited by ScreamingViking; Mar 15, 2024 at 1:40 AM.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2024, 6:23 AM

Heard on the radio...

The last total solar eclipse visible in Kingston - or more accurately, on the patch of ground where Kingston is now - was in 1349!!

Quote:
The 2024 eclipse will be visible from Mexico, the United States, and Canada. For the first time in almost 700 years, Kingston is in the path of totality, or where the Sun will be completely blocked out by the Moon. This means many people will be flocking to the area to view this wondrous celestial spectacle, so planning needs to start ASAP!

For Kingstonians, this coming total solar eclipse will truly be a once-in-a-lifetime event: as mentioned, the last eclipse was almost 700 years ago in 1349, and the next one won't be for another 375 years in 2399!
https://www.queensu.ca/physics/2024eclipse

No non-Indigenous person has ever seen a total solar eclipse from the area of Kingston before.
"It is only because the control of the means of production is divided among many people acting independently that nobody has complete power over us, that we as individuals can decide what to do with ourselves." - Friedrich Hayek

Old Posted Mar 15, 2024, 2:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post
I've seen total eclipses before; they are all the same, it gets dark like it does every night.
I saw the last one in Nashville. "Sunset" on all horizons, not just west, was neat as was the pinhole camera effect immediately before and after. Not quite the same as every night.

First moment of sun getting through small gaps in tree cover (Temple Cemetery, Nashville):

http://rbt.ca/IMG_20170821_133956.jpg

Old Posted Mar 15, 2024, 4:11 PM

“Only” getting 95% in Rimouski, so I hope to make a trip down to Sherbrooke just to see it in complete totality. I haven’t been to Sherbrooke yet so it’s a good excuse to go there anyway.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2024, 4:42 PM

Feb 26 1979 was a beautiful clear day in S Manitoba. I sat on top of our machine shed to watch the eclipse. Our yard is on a fairly substantial hill so I was able to have a great view of the sun drenched horizon all around me. It was an amazing experience.

Doubt if I'll drive down to Kingston this April though.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2024, 6:32 PM
early dogecoin investor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
That's exactly where I was going to go, if I could, but I can't

I imagine the Irving Eco-Park will be very popular. If I were you, I'd aim to be at their parking lot about 90 minutes early. It will get filled up.

Otherwise, there is a nice park along the Bouctouche riverfront just east of the bridge with lots of parking.
I Was thinking the same thing, I'll definitely be heading out nice early!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada