HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Feb 29, 2024, 2:58 AM
recession proof

Did you know a bag of potato chips contains 1 potato, worth about .01 cents?

Interesting, a SA pharmacist at my SDM also did a review of my medications. Btw, what happened to the old group of pharmacists? Did they all become realtors? Killed by covid? Moved to Mexico? (A lawyer I know says many Canadian lawyers have moved to Mexico or Florida, including prominent government officials who are running the ship from away, via Zoom/Teams. Could explain their utter cluelessness about the realities we're facing.)

Old Posted Feb 29, 2024, 2:58 AM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proof Sheet View Post
I buy olive oil at the Kirkland Boutique

https://www.americastestkitchen.com/...ve-oil-tasting The problem is the size of the bottles.
If you want maximum SSP street cred, you'll buy this particular one. Each bottle from Bari produced oil you buy, Miketoronto rings a bell in gratitude

Old Posted Feb 29, 2024, 3:06 AM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbandreamer View Post
Did you know a bag of potato chips contains 1 potato, worth about .01 cents?
Not sure if serious, but...
A redditor claimed it was roughly 6-8 medium potatoes for your typical bag. Lay's claims 10-12 per pound (454g)...but that was probably before Roblaws style cheating

Sometimes you just want a damn chip. Especially if you don't have to deal with GERD. That must suck, urbandreamer.

Occasionally I'll make my own fries, though.
F*** McCain's too, I'll support Cavendish.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2024, 3:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
Galen Weston's biggest mistake was to think he could step into the role played by the head of President Choice in advertisements during the 80s and 90s. In 2023, all he has done is made himself a media target for the like of Molson to obsess about.

Canada is a country of oligopolies with eyes focused on the US. Nearly everyone hired into a "C" position is a privileged elite that will layoff one below the minimum for a mandatory public release to cover their signing bonus or severance

In my opinion that is more egregious than Galen Weston's wealth doubling in size due to the value in shares in his family business which has nothing to do with sales. See Tesla's capitalization vs General Motors.

Groceries in Toronto have doubled everywhere. I personally find Metro to be a lot more expensive than Loblaws. Sobeys is not cheaper than Loblaws. The higher prices have blow up revenues however, the profit margins have been stable. As far as I know, both Metro and Sobeys are faceless corproations.
Galen Weston is definitely no Dave Nichol. Him still doing the ads is such a big mistake. While I can't stand Weston, at least he is visible and makes himself a target whether good or bad and to me he is bad. The top people at Metro and Sobeys (also known as Empire) are pretty much invisible except when called to a parliamentary committee and they are just as bad. All three companies have been able to get away with so much with very few consequences.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2024, 3:13 AM
recession proof

NN/PC chips are made in Winnipeg by Old Dutch Foods, an American company. I've heard the weight issues may be caused by the TFW replacements they've hired, ie too lazy/incompetent to check the cells with scales. I used to run a production line so have no idea how this would fly.

Store bought chips are very high in fat which certainly triggers reflux. Occasionally I eat them. Obviously homemade baked or airfried potato chips would be ideal.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2024, 3:14 AM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
Assuming the same ratio as that bag of chips MolsonEx posted, then that “3L” container contains in reality only 1.5 liter of oil and so it’s actually $40/L
Canadians are going to have to weigh and measure everything we buy from the grocery store

Video Link

Old Posted Feb 29, 2024, 3:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
Loblaws and Metro run the roost in Canada's food & pharmacy retail and it shows by their prices and often complete dominance in smaller markets. Even in the big cities, it's hard to go shopping without setting foot in one of the too. Empire is just an also ran as is Save-On being just small regional market providers. I'm surprised Loblaws hasn't bought them out yet.
The Empire Company (Sobeys, etc.) is also a major player and bigger than Metro as far as I'm aware. Empire has the largest market share in the Atlantic provinces and Quebec. In Quebec they own the IGA banner which has an almost monopoly in some areas of the province. Empire also dominates many smaller markets and smaller towns in Ontario and Atlantic Region with their Foodland banner.

And I should mention that Empire has really been moving into urban markets by buying up other banners and creating some new ones which include Farm Boy, FreshCo, Longos and I think a couple more.

The company also owns Lawton's pharmacies and Needs convenience stores in the Atlantic provinces.

As far as the Western provinces and Northwestern Ontario they own the Safeway banner in Canada, Thrifty Foods and operate Sobeys stores and liquor stores.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2024, 3:23 AM
recession proof

Again, NN is taking the blame for what is an Old Dutch Foods issue.

Attacking Galen Weston is lazy, when it's shareholders pressuring for reduced costs. Walmart and Costco are big threats, with considerably better supply chain efficiencies. Walmart being relatively new to Canada has less sway than Loblaws with produce suppliers which is why it's often overpriced and expired. I don't understand why SA shop at Walmart so much considering FB & NF have lower prices; perhaps they're loyal because their countrymen work there?

Old Posted Feb 29, 2024, 3:27 AM

Quote:
NN/PC chips are made in Winnipeg by Old Dutch Foods, an American company. I've heard the weight issues may be caused by the TFW replacements they've hired, ie too lazy/incompetent to check the cells with scales. I used to run a production line so have no idea how this would fly.

Store bought chips are very high in fat which certainly triggers reflux. Occasionally I eat them. Obviously homemade baked or airfried potato chips would be ideal.
Yes Old Dutch does make NN and PC brand chips as well as a number of other house brands for other companies.

They have manufacturing facilities in both Winnipeg and Calgary. I know someone who worked at the Calgary location.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2024, 3:35 AM

Quote:
Again, NN is taking the blame for what is an Old Dutch Foods issue.

Attacking Galen Weston is lazy, when it's shareholders pressuring for reduced costs. Walmart and Costco are big threats, with considerably better supply chain efficiencies. Walmart being relatively new to Canada has less sway than Loblaws with produce suppliers which is why it's often overpriced and expired. I don't understand why SA shop at Walmart so much considering FB & NF have lower prices; perhaps they're loyal because their countrymen work there?
Walmart has been in Canada since 1994 so I wouldn't call the company new here. But they didn't get into the grocery business starting in 2006 so 18 years should give the company enough time to have good supply chains. Loblaws has an advantage of being a larger company within Canada still.

I agree that the groceries at Walmart aren't as good for what you pay but some people prefer it simply because they can shop for many non-grocery items at the same time.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2024, 3:48 AM
recession proof

Walmart is good for vitamins and gluten-free junk food and cheap socks and underwear. Sometimes they've got good deals on motor oil and filters etc. But overall their clothing, appliances and household goods are inferior quality junk.

On road trips I do use them for washroom breaks, bananas and maybe a curiosity to check out the locals. Red Deer AB, Magog QC and Belleville ON take the cake for trashiest patrons.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2024, 3:52 AM
Great White Norf

Quote:
I don't understand why SA shop at Walmart so much considering FB & NF have lower prices; perhaps they're loyal because their countrymen work there?
People like 1 stop shopping, convenience over multiple shopping trips

Old Posted Feb 29, 2024, 3:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigs View Post
If you want maximum SSP street cred, you'll buy this particular one. Each bottle from Bari produced oil you buy, Miketoronto rings a bell in gratitude

Good one. Another fan of that long departed SSP member.

Will buying this olive oil help alleviate their terrible shopping mall crisis. ?

Old Posted Feb 29, 2024, 3:59 AM
Great White Norf

I poke fun, but no one else in Canada was dedicated to attempting to create the best bus transit system in the country. Overall he's missed by many.

And we haven't heard if Bari was able to recover from the retailpocalypse

Old Posted Feb 29, 2024, 4:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco101 View Post
Yes Old Dutch does make NN and PC brand chips as well as a number of other house brands for other companies.

They have manufacturing facilities in both Winnipeg and Calgary. I know someone who worked at the Calgary location.
We have an old Dutch plant in town here, called condillo foods. Pretty sure they package corn chips.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2024, 4:17 AM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
The Empire Company (Sobeys, etc.) is also a major player and bigger than Metro as far as I'm aware. Empire has the largest market share in the Atlantic provinces and Quebec. In Quebec they own the IGA banner which has an almost monopoly in some areas of the province. Empire also dominates many smaller markets and smaller towns in Ontario and Atlantic Region with their Foodland banner.
Hence the red bolded part. Which I can never un-see, after seeing it while glancing at a store sign.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2024, 12:54 PM

Quote:

And I should mention that Empire has really been moving into urban markets by buying up other banners and creating some new ones which include Farm Boy, FreshCo, Longos and I think a couple more.

The company also owns Lawton's pharmacies and Needs convenience stores in the Atlantic provinces.

As far as the Western provinces and Northwestern Ontario they own the Safeway banner in Canada, Thrifty Foods and operate Sobeys stores and liquor stores.
True, IGA is the only grocery chain a small town will have, when it’s large enough to have one. The other banners require a bigger base, it seems. So for many regions, IGA is where they shop, no choice.

IGA is like Subway — the very first “chain” you’ll find.

Not sure it’s true everywhere but in Quebec it’s automatic for towns, this chain tier system:

Very small — no chains
Slightly bigger village — has a Subway
Bigger little town — has a Subway AND a Tim Hortons
Small city — has Subway AND Tim Hortons AND McDonald’s (and other chains too, often; when you’re big enough for a McD’s you’re big enough for any others, A&W etc.)

Old Posted Feb 29, 2024, 2:30 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigs View Post
Canadians are going to have to weigh and measure everything we buy from the grocery store

Video Link
This pisses me off to no end. Why do these bastards get away with this thievery? Completely unethical and illegal. Even when they get fined, it is never enough to discourage them from doing it again. The Competition Bureau of Canada doesn't have the resources to go after all of these issues, and there are tens of thousands of such issues.

Also assholic is adding salted water to meat, to raise the weight. They all do this.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2024, 2:34 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
True, IGA is the only grocery chain a small town will have, when it’s large enough to have one. The other banners require a bigger base, it seems. So for many regions, IGA is where they shop, no choice.

IGA is like Subway — the very first “chain” you’ll find.

Not sure it’s true everywhere but in Quebec it’s automatic for towns, this chain tier system:

Very small — no chains
Slightly bigger village — has a Subway
Bigger little town — has a Subway AND a Tim Hortons
Small city — has Subway AND Tim Hortons AND McDonald’s (and other chains too, often; when you’re big enough for a McD’s you’re big enough for any others, A&W etc.)
Back in the bon vieux temps, two-bit villages/towns would have a "Richelieu" grocer (which was the second part of the formerly known "Metro-Richelieu" chain).

Old Posted Feb 29, 2024, 2:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Back in the bon vieux temps, two-bit villages/towns would have a "Richelieu" grocer (which was the second part of the formerly known "Metro-Richelieu" chain).
This one still exists right now (I pass in front of it several times a week, these days).

https://www.google.ca/maps/@46.00434...8192?entry=ttu

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada