HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Mar 26, 2007, 4:24 PM
Change is good

Edmonton - North America's first LRT system continues to expand!

There seems to be more and more progression on new LRT lines in Edmonton, and currently, a major extension to the existing line is being built. I see no other recent relevant topics on the LRT extension in this section of the forum, so I thought I would share. I plan on adding construction photos to this thread in the next few days as well..

Edmonton LRT Construction

South LRT (SLRT)
The extension will occur over three phases.
Phase 1: Health Science Station Opened January 2006
Phase 2: Health Sciences Station to South Campus Station opens by the end of 2008
Phase 3: South Campus Station to Century Park opens by the end of 2009

Health Science Station - Opened Jan 2006

Belgravia/Mckernan (76 Ave) Station - Late 2008?

Neil Crawford Station (UofA South Campus) - Late 2008

Southgate Station - Late 2009

Whitemud LRT Bridge

Century Park Station - Late 2009

West LRT (WLRT)

3 Different possible routes exist
1. Lewis Estate to Health Sciences
2. Lewis Estate to South Campus
3. Lewis Estate to Downtown

North LRT (NLRT)

South East BRT
http://www.edmonton.ca/RoadsTraffic/...%20options.pdf
http://www.edmonton.ca/RoadsTraffic/...%20options.pdf

Last edited by feepa; Mar 20, 2008 at 12:42 AM.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2007, 4:25 PM
Change is good

Planning Studies For Northeast And South Lrt Extensions

Also this was posted to APC
http://vendor.purchasingconnection.c...-D406FD5484AE&

PLANNING STUDIES FOR NORTHEAST AND SOUTH LRT EXTENSIONS

The City of Edmonton Transportation Department invites qualified consultants to submit expressions of interest to undertake planning studies for the northeast and south extensions of Edmonton’s LRT system. A list of experience with studies of a similar nature and proposed key team members should be included in a one-page letter outlining qualifications.

The purpose of this study is to develop conceptual alignment plans, including defining station/park and ride locations, cost estimates, and undertake stakeholder consultation for the Northeast LRT beyond Claireview to the next station in the Gorman area and the south extension from Century Park to the south city limit.

Forward expressions of interest by Friday March 30, 2007 to:

Brian Latte, P.Eng.
Director, Development Review Services
City of Edmonton
Transportation Dept.
13th Floor, Century Place
9803 – 102 A Avenue
Edmonton, AB T5J 3A3

Old Posted Mar 26, 2007, 4:25 PM
Change is good

http://vendor.purchasingconnection.c...-5B88E8E32F98&

Opportunity Description:
The City of Edmonton Transportation Department invites qualified consultants to submit expressions of interest to undertake concept planning and preliminary design for the north extension of Edmonton’s LRT system from downtown to NAIT. Experience with projects of a similar nature and proposed key team members should be included in a one-page letter outlining qualifications.

The purpose of this study is to complete planning studies, develop a preliminary design, and undertake stakeholder consultation for the proposed LRT extension.

Forward expressions of interest by Friday March 30, 2007 to:

Brad Smid, P.Eng. Senior Planning Engineer
Transportation Dept.
Transit Projects Branch
Suite 710, 10060 Jasper Avenue
Tower 1, Scotia Place
Edmonton, AB T5J 3R8

Terms of Reference for this project will be provided to those firms selected to submit proposals. If you have any further questions, call (780) 496-5955 or email Brad.Smid@edmonton.ca

Old Posted Mar 26, 2007, 5:14 PM
I just ran out of B***sht

It's cool to see Edmonton finally extending out into it's City Limits after they spent a lot of time and money on the Central Subway. But in the end it looks like it will be worth it so that they can operate longer trains (5 car LRV's like a heavy rail system) or shorter trip times and frequencies to get more riders in their system.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2007, 6:25 PM
Sawmill Billowtoker

It'll be nice to be able to have LRT across the alleyway from me.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2007, 2:59 AM
Sex Marxist of Notleygrad

Haha, for me the LRT is one mile away, but it's still the best part of my daily transit commute. I'm still kinda pissed that the West LRT to Jasper Place isn't a priority. To me it would a great way to help revitalize the neighbourhood, plus it would have been the quickest way to get me from my home in the Northeast to school at the MacEwan Arts campus.. Instead of a 20 minute LRT ride followed by a 5 minute bus ride, its usually a 50-80 minute bus-train-bus commute...

Old Posted Mar 27, 2007, 3:19 AM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Well, it will be eventually done, it'll be there if you decide to become a professional student.

The commute from my house to NAIT would be about 45-50 minutes by bus. This would make it 10-20 minutes.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2007, 1:35 AM
samsonyuen

Pretty impresive. It's ramping up its expansion plans!

Old Posted Apr 30, 2007, 5:15 PM
Change is good

(If you unfamilar with Edmonton, we are talking about the proposed "green line" in the map at the start of this thread)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Kent, The Edmonton Journal, Published: Friday, April 27, 2007
North LRT back on track planning about to start

The long-awaited LRT extension from downtown to NAIT could be the first leg in a line to Griesbach that might include a tunnel under Yellowhead Trail and the CN yards.

With LRT construction south to Century Park well underway, staff are gearing for detailed planning of a proposed northern route, put on the backburner since it was accepted by councillors more than two years ago.

The idea is to go from Churchill Station to Grant MacEwan College, then north to the Victoria school, Royal Alexandra Hospital, Kingsway Garden Mall and NAIT.

"Now, with a lot of interest in transit projects, what we want to do is be better prepared with planning should funding become available and that becomes a priority," transit projects manager Wayne Mandryk said.

"The theory is, the further along you are with the planning, if and when (federal) grants come along, we will have a better chance to access them."

Councillors are likely to be asked in June to approve consultants who will spend about a year completing a concept plan, doing preliminary engineering and figuring out precise rail alignments and station locations.

There will be extensive discussions with the public, Mandryk said.

For example, it may be better to move one of the three proposed stations closer to the Royal Alex from the mall, and there are several possible locations for a station near NAIT.

Two years ago, the cost of the project was estimated at $300 million; given the current economic boom, the cost would likely be much higher now.

No construction schedule has been suggested, but Coun. Kim Krushell wants to fast-track the project so work can start in 2010, after the southern line is finished.

"We need to implement a much better transit system than we already have.

"Anyone who goes to Calgary can see the advantages they have with a much bigger LRT system."

Officials at NAIT are thrilled at the possibility they'll finally be on the LRT. The main campus, with 11,000 staff and students, set aside land for a future station on 106th Street when the HP Centre was built in 2002, spokeswoman Rayne Kuntz said.

"It's definitely important," she said, adding that a proposed expansion could see the main campus population double over the next decade.

"There's no question it makes sense. It makes environmental sense, it makes sense for staff and students in terms of commuting options."

But Coun. Karen Leibovici said the first requirement is a long-term plan for expanding LRT, bus rapid transit and other bus services across Edmonton.

"We can have the work going on throughout the city in a planned process ... I just hope we don't have to get into a fight over whose area is most important," she said.

"We have to do it strategically so that no area is left out."

Edmonton's north high-speed transit plan suggests eventually extending service to 137th Avenue to serve the large Griesbach redevelopment, something planners doing the upcoming study will keep in mind, Mandryk said.

One potential route is under the Yellowhead and the Calder rail yards before heading up 113A Street, he said.

"Tunnelling under the tracks would probably be the cheapest way ... you would have to build a pretty high bridge because the clearance over those rail cars is pretty high. It would be a massive structure."

However, there hasn't been a feasibility study of the options for going that far north, which also include using 97th Street, Mandryk said.

Some high-speed transportation needs might also be met with bus rapid transit, which can be implemented more easily than LRT and would run mainly on existing roads, he said.

gkent@thejournal.canwest.com

LRT FUTURE

- Beyond NAIT, consultants will look at ways to extend the northeast LRT past Clareview to a new station between 153rd Avenue and 167th Avenue, probably continuing along the CN right-of-way.

- As well, the 10- to 12-month study will examine the best route for LRT to follow south of the station planned for Century Park to the city boundary.

- Space is available along 111th Street south of Anthony Henday Drive, but they'll examine whether using 127th Street makes more sense.

- There's no indication when either leg might be built; a master plan now being updated will set directions and create a framework for Edmonton's transportation.

© The Edmonton Journal 2007

--30--
Also, if you want to read more on this, you can tune into the Edmonton LRT Construction/Public Transit thread here: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=91336
(or just navigate to the Alberta Sub-Section of the "Canada" part of this forum)

Old Posted Apr 30, 2007, 5:25 PM

That's great news but I hope it won't progress as "fast" as the SLRT line.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2007, 5:45 PM
Change is good

^^^ not sure what you mean by that. The SLRT line started in 2005, and will finish in 2009. I think maybe your talking about the time it took from University station (1992?) to the time when construction on the LRT started again in 2005.
I think this line may even start up before the SLRT finishes

Old Posted Apr 30, 2007, 6:08 PM
Community Guy

SLRT will double our ridership, NLRT add another 25%...should be up to about 150-200,000 a day.

WLRT would double it again...to 300-400,000 id bet.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Apr 30, 2007, 6:18 PM
Change is good

Well, a little high, but reasonable guessitimate.

Current LRT ridership is around 70k per day?

Old Posted Apr 30, 2007, 6:37 PM
Community Guy

70-80,000 i believe...which isnt bad considering the current line and spread out employment nodes.

SLRT - id bet 150,000 (commuters, south bus people switching, park and ride)

NLRT - again...a large number of people moving from bus to LRT...NAIT/GMC/ALEX/VIC comp....id bet another 50,000

= 200,000

WLT - WEM WEM WEM...and huge park and ride potential from lewis estates etc.....id bet 100-120,000 potentially.

you have to think we will be another 200,000 people by 2017.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted May 1, 2007, 4:40 PM
Sex Marxist of Notleygrad

Current LRT use is 46000/day on the system's 7.5 mile long route. That translates to around 6300 users/mile which is the 2nd lowest in Canada for a mass transit system, however still in the top 10 in North America. Either way its a successful if not limited system this far.

The SLRT is projected to double the ridership of the LRT to around 91 000/day, and the the NLRT has a projected ridership of around 15-20 000 if only to NAIT but alot higher if all the way to Northgate. The WEM line I'm not sure about but I'd say 50 000 users/day would be a good bet. So with the existing, SLRT, NLRT and WLRT branches I'd say 175 000 users/day would be about right, at least as a base figure...

Old Posted May 1, 2007, 5:07 PM
I just ran out of B***sht

And what's really nice about Edmonton's system and how they set it up, there's plenty of room to grow with simple at-grade extensions outside of Downtown.

Their Downtown Subway could operate longer trains (5 Car LRV's)heavy rail like service quite frequently yet have a lower capital and operating cost than most heavy rail systems.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2007, 9:26 PM
Change is good

Images Courtesy of 24Karat at C2E (connect2edmonton.com)

Old Posted Jun 26, 2007, 9:58 PM

WOW!!! They're really making progress. Looks good.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2007, 4:32 AM
Change is good

new picture of 76 ave station - set to open in 2008

Old Posted Jul 24, 2007, 4:04 PM
Change is good

Looking north at the Belgravia Road underpass

Looking south at the future location for the tracks going to South Campus station.

Looking north at the future south campus station

Looking north at the future south campus station

Looking north at Belgravia Tunnel(July 1)

Looking north at future south campus station(July 1)

Looking east at the future bus terminal building at south campus station(July 1)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation