HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Feb 21, 2024, 11:45 PM

I wonder why they put the gas service on the front instead of to one side?

Old Posted Feb 22, 2024, 12:11 AM

Are there required side setbacks? They are in an area of row houses/properties, so I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't have to setback the side portions of the lot. If that is the case and they built all of the way to the boundary of their lot, the only access for gas service would be from the front (there's an alley there now but I assumed not owned by The Camp) . Agricola West has their gas service in the front as well and I believe they built very close if not all of the way to their property lines

Old Posted Feb 22, 2024, 9:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherNorthender View Post
For the most part I like this building - I like the variation of the angled storefronts and the wood finish along the ground level. Is it a mind-blowing building? No - but it's better than some other buildings that have gone up in the area (looking at you https://www.skyscraperpage.com/forum...=214613&page=7)

I walk by it daily and look forward to whatever retail opens up soon
I have to agree. I don’t mind this building at all, and I actually think the angled sidewalk frontages are a nice touch. The one mark against it I think is actually that wood-style finish—it looks a little cheap, compared to the brick veneer, and stands out as a sort of budget option. But that’s really my only complaint.
This is similar in scale and form the The White Lotus on Gottingen, but THAT building actually is ugly—mostly because of very cheap finishing materials. The brick veneer on The Camp makes a big (positive) difference.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2024, 6:16 AM

Subjectivity aside, the positive reviews from the people who walk or ride by it regularly indicate that it must show better in person than in photos.

I'm glad to hear it, though you can chalk me up as another one who thinks the gas service in plain sight on the front of the building is a bit of an eyesore.

When I looked at the photo, I thought the wood (faux wood?) was cheap brown siding-like cladding. Again, the illusions that photographs can create.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2024, 3:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post

When I looked at the photo, I thought the wood (faux wood?) was cheap brown siding-like cladding. Again, the illusions that photographs can create.
It very well could be a faux wood finish - I haven't exactly honed in to that much detail as I go by it, or noticed the difference. If it is a faux wood, it does a pretty good job of replicating a real wood look.

Next time I go by I'll try to determine if in fact it's real or faux wood

Old Posted Feb 23, 2024, 6:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherNorthender View Post
It very well could be a faux wood finish - I haven't exactly honed in to that much detail as I go by it, or noticed the difference. If it is a faux wood, it does a pretty good job of replicating a real wood look.

Next time I go by I'll try to determine if in fact it's real or faux wood
I'd be interested to know, but it's not all that important to know. In fact faux wood is probably the preferable material unless the building owner has budgeted in regular maintenance for the wood, as finishes tend to degrade over time.

The main point (for me) was that in the photo it didn't look very good, but folks like yourself who regularly see it in person, say that it does have an acceptable/attractive appearance. Which is all that really matters - how it presents in person.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2024, 2:15 PM

It's weird that it's a concrete base with wooden upper floors, but the outward appearance is a wooden ground floor with brick upper floors. It looks backwards to how anything would actually be constructed, which ends up making the whole thing look all the more fake.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2024, 4:17 PM

A business called Originality Catering Ltd will be opening in this building.

All three units have had their 'For Lease' signs removed.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2024, 4:24 AM

Studio East will be taking up 2'600 sq ft of the ground floor. Apparently their current home on Cunard Street is being demolished.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2024, 10:52 AM

Demolishing the whole building just because a restaurant is moving is a little dramatic

Old Posted Apr 18, 2024, 2:40 PM

^Other way around. Restaurant is being forced out by the developer. They likely own neighbouring properties too.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2024, 9:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
Studio East will be taking up 2'600 sq ft of the ground floor. Apparently their current home on Cunard Street is being demolished.
Hopefully their clientele will follow them there.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2024, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
^Other way around. Restaurant is being forced out by the developer. They likely own neighbouring properties too.
Do we know what's going to replace the building on Cunard?

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth