HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Nov 6, 2019, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utah_Dave View Post
What are the comments about the Kensington tower on the Trib? More comments about views being blocked?
People whining about greed. People saying that there should never be tall buildings in earthquake prone areas and my favorite:

"Downtown is the place for height, but over 375' seems like a lot. We really don't need more luxury anything."

Old Posted Nov 7, 2019, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
Oh, okay. Thanks Airhero. Looks like the bottom has changed quite a bit, though you really can't see the street engagement clearly. Still seems preliminary to me. I wrote them asking for some clarification. We'll see if I get a reply.

Save The Utah [Pantages] Theater RDA Meeting NOV. 12, 2019

Please show your support to Save the Utah Theater and attend the Redevelopment Meeting, November 12th at 2pm, (address: 451 South State, Room 326 Salt Lake City, Utah 84111)

This could possibly be your last chance to Save the Utah Theater.

Write and call your Mayor and Council Member: https://www.slc.gov/council/about-us/

Please share.

Last edited by Old&New; Nov 7, 2019 at 1:20 AM.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2019, 2:08 AM
Space Magi

Old Posted Nov 7, 2019, 5:39 AM
One Thing At A Time

Well, Erin Mendenhall is our new Mayor. Looking forward to what we can get done when the city council (RDA) are on the same team with the Mayor.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2019, 1:18 PM

^^^
Very much agree...enthusiastic about Mendenhall!!

Old Posted Nov 7, 2019, 3:46 PM
SLC Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePusherMan View Post
Well, Erin Mendenhall is our new Mayor. Looking forward to what we can get done when the city council (RDA) are on the same team with the Mayor.
I'm stoked. Erin will do a great job. She was really good on the council. Luz was a solid candidate as well but I think knowledge of the mechanics of a city is a huge deal. So our choices where, mayor with good connections on the hill (Luz) OR mayor with deep knowledge of city issues and functions (Erin). We lucked out and got a great choice this year NO ugliness and two strong, smart, West Side women to choose from! I don't know if any of you know what a bullet we dodged with Jim Debakis. His Twitter feed is whacky.

Salt Lake's primary challenge has been in keeping momentum and focus on critical projects, focus on our city's development and defend its interests from the asshats on the hill. It needs to engage on a county and state level and have a voice on things like alcohol legislation (A much bigger deal than anybody thinks), transportation, regional planning issues, continued recruiting of tech and creative professional uses. Some really basic stuff too: the city needs a functional maintenance budget and master plan for example. The endless cycle of study after study after study needs to end. It's action time.

This is all city-level stuff and it will help to have somebody who understands these issues and know the history of these issues, understands the funding mechanisms of these issues and Erin is the right person. I'm personally pretty excited about the prospect of an Mendenhall mayor and a Hunstman governor.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2019, 4:40 PM
Engineer

Mendenhall was buoyed by her time on the city council and expressed herself more articulately than Luz when talking over the many city issues. The mayorship is a totally different job than city council though, and I did vote for Luz in the primaries and the general, but I don't think we'll be disappointed with Mendenhall. She'll hit the ground running when she takes office. Knock on wood.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2019, 5:27 PM
One Thing At A Time

I used to like Debakis but he became a cartoon character. I love a stick it to the man attitude but he would have never gotten anything done. Totally agree. We dodged a bullet.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2019, 6:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvland View Post
I'm stoked. Erin will do a great job. She was really good on the council. Luz was a solid candidate as well but I think knowledge of the mechanics of a city is a huge deal. So our choices where, mayor with good connections on the hill (Luz) OR mayor with deep knowledge of city issues and functions (Erin). We lucked out and got a great choice this year NO ugliness and two strong, smart, West Side women to choose from! I don't know if any of you know what a bullet we dodged with Jim Debakis. His Twitter feed is whacky.

Salt Lake's primary challenge has been in keeping momentum and focus on critical projects, focus on our city's development and defend its interests from the asshats on the hill. It needs to engage on a county and state level and have a voice on things like alcohol legislation (A much bigger deal than anybody thinks), transportation, regional planning issues, continued recruiting of tech and creative professional uses. Some really basic stuff too: the city needs a functional maintenance budget and master plan for example. The endless cycle of study after study after study needs to end. It's action time.

This is all city-level stuff and it will help to have somebody who understands these issues and know the history of these issues, understands the funding mechanisms of these issues and Erin is the right person. I'm personally pretty excited about the prospect of an Mendenhall mayor and a Hunstman governor.
Yes and yes. We should never have let the roads become 3rd world. You can have a city that focuses on more than roads, police and fire, but if you do you can't drop the ball on those cores responsibilities. The city focused on other areas and kicked the can down the road until many roads were failed or just embarrassing. Also, what I love about Utah is the tendency to study and collaborate on big issues, but the "paralysis by analysis" can get super frustrating at times. The CYA that politicians do by essentially not making choices instead putting too many things to a vote or endless workshops and community outreach is over done at times.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2019, 6:04 PM

Considering he finished third when most people expected him to finish first in the primary, I think most people agree.

I think both Luz and Erin were solid candidates, but Erin's knowledge and detail of city-level/urbanist issues were more intriguing to me than Luz's ties to the hill. Also, Erin isn't in the pocket of Reagan Advertising, which left a bad taste in my mouth regarding Luz. Too bad Erin's vows to remove billboards probably won't happen due to the state's ties to the industry.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2019, 6:49 PM

I supported Luz in the Primary and she was my first choice until she accepted the endorsement from Jackie. I think that killed her momentum and is what lead to the gap that opened between Luz and Erin in the polls. I know there were a bunch of people around me that dropped their Luz signs and put up Erin signs nearly overnight after that endorsement. The thought of another Jackie or someone that would continue her work changed the minds of many people.

For Governor, I am also looking forward to Huntsman running again as I think he would be great and help push for better transit and free transit. He also knows the benefits of having a more consolidated urban environment.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2019, 8:09 PM
Space Magi

The Rice-Eccles stadium expansion is now called the "Ken Garff Performance Zone." The project has a new website:
https://www.kengarffperformancezone.com/

New renderings from that link:

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvland View Post
I'm stoked. Erin will do a great job. She was really good on the council. Luz was a solid candidate as well but I think knowledge of the mechanics of a city is a huge deal. So our choices where, mayor with good connections on the hill (Luz) OR mayor with deep knowledge of city issues and functions (Erin). We lucked out and got a great choice this year NO ugliness and two strong, smart, West Side women to choose from!
I agree except Erin lives east of 900 East so I don't think any definition would place her as a West Side woman.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 1:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
The Rice-Eccles stadium expansion is now called the "Ken Garff Performance Zone." The project has a new website:
https://www.kengarffperformancezone.com/
"Ken Garff Performance Zone" lol.

I mean I get that corporate sponsorship is inevitable, but what is a "performance zone"?

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 3:54 AM

The Birdie

Looks like the BIRDIE broke ground today

https://twitter.com/saltlakechamber/...200168960?s=19

Last edited by Pencil; Nov 8, 2019 at 7:51 AM.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 4:02 AM
SLC Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCLvr View Post
I agree except Erin lives east of 900 East so I don't think any definition would place her as a West Side woman.
Correct but she has vested interests on the west side and her district included a chunk of the west side. Kyle Lamalfa is from the west side etc.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 4:28 AM
They all float down here

I voted Erin but was underwhelmed by both options.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 3:54 PM
SLC Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
I voted Erin but was underwhelmed by both options.
You are underwhelmed by everything.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 4:14 PM

MAYOR BISKUPSKI HAS EXECUTED THE SALES DOCUMENT FOR THE UTAH THEATER

NOV 8, 2019 —

MAYOR BISKUPSKI HAS EXECUTED THE SALES DOCUMENT FOR THE UTAH THEATER. Call and tell her to turn back and Save The Utah Theater.

https://www.change.org/p/salt-lake-c...te&utm_term=cs

Jackie Biskupski
SLC Mayor and RDA Executive Director
mayor@slcgov.com
801-535-7704

Lara Fritts
RDA Chief Executive Officer
lara.fritts@slcgov.com
801-535-7299

Danny Walz
RDA Chief Operating Officer
danny.walz@slcgov.com
801-535-7240

RDA Board of Directors (Salt Lake City Council)

Amy Fowler, RDA Chair and City Council Person
801-535-7715
amy.fowler@slcgov.com

Chris Wharton, RDA Vice Chair and City Council Person
801-535-7726
chris.wharton@slcgov.com

Andrew Johnston, RDA Director and City Council Person
801-535-7781
andrew.johnston@slcgov.com

Charlie Luke, RDA Director and City Council Person
801-535-7784
Charlie.luke@slcgov.com

Erin Mendenhall, RDA Director and City Council Person
801-535-7786
erin.mendenhall@slcgov.com

James Rogers, RDA Director and City Council Person
801-535-7723
james.rogers@slcgov.com

Ana Valdemoros, RDA Director and City Council Person
801-535-7782
ana.valdemoros@slcgov.com

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 4:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viperlord View Post
MAYOR BISKUPSKI HAS EXECUTED THE SALES DOCUMENT FOR THE UTAH THEATER

NOV 8, 2019 —

MAYOR BISKUPSKI HAS EXECUTED THE SALES DOCUMENT FOR THE UTAH THEATER. Call and tell her to turn back and Save The Utah Theater.

https://www.change.org/p/salt-lake-c...te&utm_term=cs

Jackie Biskupski
SLC Mayor and RDA Executive Director
mayor@slcgov.com
801-535-7704

Lara Fritts
RDA Chief Executive Officer
lara.fritts@slcgov.com
801-535-7299

Danny Walz
RDA Chief Operating Officer
danny.walz@slcgov.com
801-535-7240

RDA Board of Directors (Salt Lake City Council)

Amy Fowler, RDA Chair and City Council Person
801-535-7715
amy.fowler@slcgov.com

Chris Wharton, RDA Vice Chair and City Council Person
801-535-7726
chris.wharton@slcgov.com

Andrew Johnston, RDA Director and City Council Person
801-535-7781
andrew.johnston@slcgov.com

Charlie Luke, RDA Director and City Council Person
801-535-7784
Charlie.luke@slcgov.com

801-535-7786

James Rogers, RDA Director and City Council Person
801-535-7723
james.rogers@slcgov.com

Ana Valdemoros, RDA Director and City Council Person
801-535-7782
ana.valdemoros@slcgov.com
Please call Erin as well!

801-535-7786

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West