HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 4:58 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster duck View Post
A building from 1789 in Canada is a museum piece, even in a place like Quebec City. The number of intact buildings in Canada that are this old is probably in the low hundreds. It should be given the highest heritage designation and the exterior should be restored to be faithful to its original design.

I mean, it's great that it's a living apartment building in a city rather than a museum piece on a set, like a Louisbourg or Upper Canada Village, but buildings this rare are often better off in institutional hands.
Halifax is full of stuff like this. I was reading a paper on terrace housing in Canada a while back and it was mostly focused on Montreal. They mentioned in passing that the first terrace housing development in Canada was in Halifax. It is that stone building to the left of the wooden one on the corner.

I was reading about Imperial Oil's 1920 building at one point and part of the story casually mentioned that they tore down a dilapidated 1750's inn on the site in 1920 to build it. That was James Wolfe's base of operations in Halifax when he prepared for the Siege of Quebec. Another example is Prince Edward, Duke of Kent's townhouse which I think might have been demolished around the 60's as part of slum clearance. He lived in Halifax after 1800 and was Queen Victoria's father (there are a handful of Palladian buildings in town that he designed).

There is a cheesy 80's pomo mini clocktower that reminds me of a not-so-nice version of the old Kitchener City Hall clock tower. Except the clock itself is from 1767, and is supposedly the oldest working clock in Canada (or maybe oldest working public clock that you can go look at).

Not too long ago a bunch of historical material from the Seven Years' War (James Wolfe letters, 1719 edition of Robinson Crusoe, first edition Origin of Species, etc.) was stolen. It was eventually found in the house of a guy living in suburban Halifax. Turns out he had slowly stolen a bunch of material from Dalhousie over the years and that stuff was not properly tracked. Here is the story: https://toronto.citynews.ca/2019/02/...artifacts-art/

Those who wish can visit the grave of General Robert Ross, the guy who "burned down the White House" and led the attacks on Washington and Baltimore. He was killed in 1814. He is buried in a downtown cemetery in Halifax. He has a nicer than average grave but it's not particularly well marked. In the US I think this would be some kind of major tourist attraction.

Last edited by someone123; Apr 21, 2021 at 5:11 PM.

Old Posted May 20, 2021, 8:36 PM

Parliament Hill, with Centre Block under renovation and excavation to expand the new underground visitors centre.

https://twitter.com/OttawaDrones/sta...28076616622085

Old Posted May 20, 2021, 8:47 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

That is a great picture. I haven't been to Ottawa in a few years. Next time I go maybe it'll feel like a different city with the Confederation Line and all the new construction.

Old Posted May 20, 2021, 10:09 PM

are there any renderings of what parliament hill will look like after the construction? Very curious.. and slightly impatient

Old Posted May 22, 2021, 2:26 PM

229 and 223 avenue du Mont-Royal (Le Plateau)

Source: https://www.facebook.com/Lévolution-...9514968148402/

4750 rue Wellington, Montréal, Verdun

Source: https://www.facebook.com/28951496814...3497588750130/

Old Posted May 22, 2021, 3:14 PM
The Vomit Bag.

take note, other cities (Brantford?)

Old Posted May 22, 2021, 3:22 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Those vinyl cladded monstrosities in Halifax are horrifying. Sort of like the opposite of a frosted dog turd: the poo is on the outside.

Old Posted May 23, 2021, 1:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 905er View Post
are there any renderings of what parliament hill will look like after the construction? Very curious.. and slightly impatient
I have seen any unfortunately.

Old Posted May 23, 2021, 10:49 AM

Quote:
It looks like a new phase of the precinct's redevelopment was just opened up to competition.

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-services-procurement/news/2021/05/government-of-canada-launches-architectural-design-competition-for-city-block-facing-parliament-hill.html

Below are a few relevant links, and some renderings re general layout (source: GoC/PWGSC).

https://www.tpsgc-pwgsc.gc.ca/citepa...index-eng.html
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...ticle37800430/
https://cims.carleton.ca/#/projects?projectFilter=All
https://www.canadianarchitect.com/house-leader/
https://www.canadianarchitect.com/parliament-hill/

Old Posted May 23, 2021, 9:14 PM
ARTchitecture

That is going to be awesome.

I wonder if the terrorist attack on Washington in January may have made them revise some of their plans a bit? Just security-wise I guess.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted May 24, 2021, 8:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
That is going to be awesome.

I wonder if the terrorist attack on Washington in January may have made them revise some of their plans a bit? Just security-wise I guess.
Yeah, that is a good point – I'm sure it will not have gone unnoticed by those who are looking at the precinct's layout. And then there had already been the attack on Parliament Hill in 2014.

These places should be as open as possible, but of course that is what ends up being taken advantage of by terrorists.

Old Posted May 24, 2021, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 🌳🌱🌿🌴🍁 View Post
Yeah, that is a good point – I'm sure it will not have gone unnoticed by those who are looking at the precinct's layout. And then there had already been the attack on Parliament Hill in 2014.

These places should be as open as possible, but of course that is what ends up being taken advantage of by terrorists.
There are already the security posts at all vehicle entrances (basically telescoping steel posts), RCMP and Parliamentary police on 24hr duty (and they are not the Grandpa Commissionaires).

I think our security on the hill is just fine. Its the people's buildings and despite what some alarmists think, there is not an army of white nationalists ready to storm the HoC.

Old Posted May 24, 2021, 2:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
There are already the security posts at all vehicle entrances (basically telescoping steel posts), RCMP and Parliamentary police on 24hr duty (and they are not the Grandpa Commissionaires).

I think our security on the hill is just fine. Its the people's buildings and despite what some alarmists think, there is not an army of white nationalists ready to storm the HoC.
Yes, that is what I said: they should be as open as possible. Of course, the attack in 2014 was by one person, not an army. And from a (very) quick glance, the RCMP seemed to say themselves at the time that measures and infrastructure were not ideal – including regarding vehicular access: https://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/en/rcmp-s...r-22-2014#exec

Presumably that has all been updated and resolved as much as possible now. It is obvious that terrorists of any stripe, including 'lone wolves', seek to take advantage of soft targets and the more open aspects of society.

Old Posted May 24, 2021, 5:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 🌳🌱🌿🌴🍁 View Post
There are some heavy hitters involved with the Block 2 competition, can't wait to see the concepts:
  • Architecture49 Inc.(Ottawa, Canada) in joint venture with Foster+Partners (London, United Kingdom) in association with DFS Inc. Architecture & Design (Montréal, Canada)
  • BDP Quadrangle (Toronto, Canada) in joint venture with Herzog & de Meuron (Basel, Switzerland)
  • Diamond Schmitt Architects (Toronto, Canada) in joint venture with Bjarke Ingels Group (New York, United States), KWC Architects (Ottawa, Canada) and ERA Architects (Toronto, Canada)
  • Grimshaw Architects (New York, United States) in association with Daoust Lestage Lizotte Stecker (Montréal, Canada)
  • Hassell Ltd. (Melbourne, Australia) in association with Partisans (Toronto, Canada)
  • Hopkins Architects (London, United Kingdom) in association with CORE Architects Inc. (Toronto, Canada)
  • KPMB Architects (Toronto, Canada)
  • NEUF Architects (Ottawa, Canada) in joint venture with Renzo Piano Building Workshop (Paris, France)
  • Provencher Roy + Associés Architectes Inc. (Montréal, Canada)
  • Watson MacEwen Teramura Architects (Ottawa, Canada) in joint venture with Behnisch Architekten (Boston, United States)
  • Wilkinson Eyre (London, United Kingdom) in association with IDEA Inc. (Ottawa, Canada)
  • Zeidler Architecture Inc. (Toronto, Canada) in association with David Chipperfield Architects (London, United Kingdom)

Old Posted May 26, 2021, 11:57 AM

Thanks for these. The goal is to preserve the current look and feel as much as possible. Some things maybe could have been planned to improve the Hill itself, but ultimately they want to keep the wide open grassy area.

Here's a graphic showing the full scale if the future underground complex.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzptichka View Post
I think part of it is Visitors centre but most are maintenance and staff rooms.

Old Posted May 26, 2021, 7:17 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Great news. Harbour Grace was very nearly our capital, and although it remains today a small town, a lot of its buildings are gorgeous and worth saving.

https://saltwire.pressreader.com/art...WPRUm0yVFRQQEM

Old Posted May 28, 2021, 2:50 PM

Natural Resources Canada's former campus is ready for redevelopment. A few of the buildings have been demolished and what's left will be retained for what something that may become a mini Distillery District. The complex is in the active Dow's Lake.

canlands by harley613, on Flickr

And before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinbottawa View Post
Here's the before picture. The site looks pretty empty now although they only demolished a few buildings.

Rough plan so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinbottawa View Post
Here are a few images from the public meeting documents. Smoke stack is still there. The park looks good. Something for both families and youth.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2021, 8:29 PM

Quote:
Some new ones, and a video:

Old Posted Jun 18, 2021, 12:23 PM
It's a nickname from work

The view of the Peace Tower foundations from that new mezzanine could really use something. A large depiction of the coat of arms, perhaps. Or the funky variation the Commons & Senate use.

Either way it looks lovely, I was worried they screw something in the chambers up but they look left alone.

I do like that they're accommodating for more MP's, as well.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2021, 12:45 PM

It looks like they're switching to bench-style seating in the House of Commons, which I suppose is an inevitable development.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada