HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jun 16, 2020, 1:40 PM

Over the past several months I've been staying close to home and rarely venturing outside. Recently I visited my local hardware store in Wilkinsburg and noticed the following.

Historic preservation is in full swing. Many of the revitalized storefronts are now occupied with locally owned businesses.The businesses range from print shops to Caribbean seafood to an apothecary skin care shop.... The apothecary shop has a line of products for men. Mainly beard oils and skin care.

The biggest change to the district is the traffic patterns. Wood and Ross Streets are no longer one way streets. Both street in the center of town are now two way streets with all new curb bumps, lighting, and street signals.

The Wilkinsburg CDC recently moved there office to the revitalized section of Wood street while the former block is rehabbed. This is in addition to the Train Station renovation and historic preservation.

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.4422...7i13312!8i6656

Old Posted Jun 16, 2020, 2:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutalistUtopia View Post
From the Troiani website:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/188909...8/49993235246/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/188909...8/49992714513/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/188909...8/49993235226/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/188909...8/49993486597/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/188909...8/49992714423/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/188909...8/49992714478/

https://troiani.com/troiani-group-of...st-side-tower/

Incorporation of historic facades and commitment brick/masonry may have been the result of the discussions between the Troianis and the Pittsburgh Historic and Landmark Foundation (https://www.post-gazette.com/busines...s/201907260042). Confusing to see the change in materials in the different renderings though.

Glad to see the use of the parking lot further up First Ave. into residential, especially since a lot of criticisms of the original demolition proposal of the historic block were that they would be sat on for parking.
Is the lower portion of the building sheathed in corten steel? I hope so.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2020, 5:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins2 View Post
Over the past several months I've been staying close to home and rarely venturing outside. Recently I visited my local hardware store in Wilkinsburg and noticed the following.

Historic preservation is in full swing. Many of the revitalized storefronts are now occupied with locally owned businesses.The businesses range from print shops to Caribbean seafood to an apothecary skin care shop.... The apothecary shop has a line of products for men. Mainly beard oils and skin care.

The biggest change to the district is the traffic patterns. Wood and Ross Streets are no longer one way streets. Both street in the center of town are now two way streets with all new curb bumps, lighting, and street signals.

The Wilkinsburg CDC recently moved there office to the revitalized section of Wood street while the former block is rehabbed. This is in addition to the Train Station renovation and historic preservation.

This is great news! As a Wilkinsburg resident I've been hoping revitalization would jump to the east side of the busway. Once that happens I think there is a lot of potential there. Granted, that is also the case for dozens of other neighborhoods. But I really do think the busway is a big barrier past which people were unwilling to gamble their development dollars. Currently there is a sharp divide between the condition of the two sides. With enough restored property and open businesses, I think others will see the cheap real-estate as much more desirable. It worked out that way for East Liberty so perhaps it is possible for Wilkinsburg as well.

And with that development would hopefully come an increased tax base. An increased tax base means Wilkinsburg will have a fighting chance to get back on its feet with properly funded schools and municiple services. My fingers are still crossed but i'm more hopeful than ever in the past.

So far i'm not worried about gentrification. Wilkinsburg has enough abandoned property to absorb redevelopment for a couple decades while still having a ton of affordable housing.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2020, 6:38 PM

I've been watching the live Planning Commission presentation. The Troiani project is going down like a lead balloon.

Edit The subject of the project potentially being vaporware was not brought up - it's outside of the purview of the commission. But they took a very pro-preservationist stance, had major issues with the scale of the design, and needled the architecture firm on why scenarios to at least save the facades were not considered.

They also noted that it was...unusual...that even though this was a plan for demolition it was presented like a new project, yet they left out simple things such as their intended interim use for the site, which is absolutely required to be put before the Planning Commission.

Last edited by eschaton; Jun 16, 2020 at 6:51 PM.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2020, 6:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfiler View Post
This is great news! As a Wilkinsburg resident I've been hoping revitalization would jump to the east side of the busway. Once that happens I think there is a lot of potential there. Granted, that is also the case for dozens of other neighborhoods. But I really do think the busway is a big barrier past which people were unwilling to gamble their development dollars. Currently there is a sharp divide between the condition of the two sides. With enough restored property and open businesses, I think others will see the cheap real-estate as much more desirable. It worked out that way for East Liberty so perhaps it is possible for Wilkinsburg as well.

And with that development would hopefully come an increased tax base. An increased tax base means Wilkinsburg will have a fighting chance to get back on its feet with properly funded schools and municiple services. My fingers are still crossed but i'm more hopeful than ever in the past.

So far i'm not worried about gentrification. Wilkinsburg has enough abandoned property to absorb redevelopment for a couple decades while still having a ton of affordable housing.
Wilkinsburg has a high concentration of black homeowners representing every demographic from Blackridge to Hunter Park.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2020, 7:35 PM

Quote:
Wilkinsburg has a high concentration of black homeowners representing every demographic from Blackridge to Hunter Park.
I missed how this ties in. It is always good to be aware so can you explain?

My focus is on 20% of Wilkinsburg properties being vacant and/or blighted. That's what the stats say but it seems much higher than that to me as a resident. Redevelopment will help the city's budget and hopefully not push residents out of currently affordable neighborhoods. That's a valid concern but one I think is so far away that it takes a back seat to the current problems of blight and budget shortfalls.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2020, 10:19 PM

Quote:

Great to hear. How is the work at the train station going?

Old Posted Jun 18, 2020, 3:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfiler View Post
I missed how this ties in. It is always good to be aware so can you explain?

My focus is on 20% of Wilkinsburg properties being vacant and/or blighted. That's what the stats say but it seems much higher than that to me as a resident. Redevelopment will help the city's budget and hopefully not push residents out of currently affordable neighborhoods. That's a valid concern but one I think is so far away that it takes a back seat to the current problems of blight and budget shortfalls.
Ive walked through lesser known sections of Wilkinsburg recently. I think it may be closer to 40%. There are entire blocks siting vacant and decayed. The area behind the School of the Deaf is bombed out and decimated. That area was stable in the 1980's

Old Posted Jun 18, 2020, 6:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKNewYork View Post
Great to hear. How is the work at the train station going?
The train station renovation and historic preservation is nothing short of amazing. I cant wait to see the landscaping and LED lighting.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2020, 2:35 PM

Shifting gears: Old Strip warehouse to become haven for bicyclists, fitness and community

https://www.post-gazette.com/busines...s/202006180083

Quote:
A Strip District site whose rich history includes a cotton factory, a brewery and a milk company soon will pedal into the 21st century as a hub for bicycling and fitness.

Craig Cozza, owner of Pro Bike + Run, is teaming with Chuck Hammel, Pitt Ohio president, to convert a vacant 27,000-square-foot warehouse at 2400 Smallman St. into a cycling complex where enthusiasts can buy everything from a bike to a beer.

Mr. Cozza plans to move his Squirrel Hill Pro Bike + Run store to the location. But he said Wednesday that the new complex will be more than just a retail shop that sells bicycles, running shoes and accessories.

He and Mr. Hammel, who bought the property for $1.6 million last year, are planning a speakeasy-type bar, a fitness center, a coffee roaster, a locker room, and private dining in a basement with 16-foot-high ceilings and stone walls.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2020, 7:53 PM

PBT reports that two apartment projects are on track for the Baum-Centre corridor. One is from Charles Street. I believe this is the project immediately next door to Coda on Centre. The unit count has risen slightly (from 150 to 161) and will begin construction in the next 60-90 days. It sounds like Baumhaus 2.0 (which is 200 units) will break ground soon too.

There's also some broader metrics in the article which suggest there's been no drop in interest in urban apartments since the beginning of the pandemic.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2020, 12:45 PM

Great to see Downtown Wilkinsburg making progress. It is a really classic Western Pennsylvania small city center, but right on the East Busway and also other key bus lines, which I think does make it a special opportunity.

My two cents is what would really push it into East Liberty mode is a major TOD project on the sprawling Busway parking lot. I know the Port Authority just got a new grant to study East Busway development, and it is possible we will be entering a new era of infrastructure investment, so that may be something to watch.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2020, 1:25 PM

That mixed-use bike focused project in the Strip is very cool. And as a general thought, I feel like so far, the evolution of the Strip may be changing the vibe a bit, but it is still very local and distinct in feel.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2020, 1:59 PM

The 7/9 ZBA virtual agenda is online. Summary is available here. The most weighty aspect of the presentation is much more information about the 2400 Smallman project discussed immediately above this includes floor plans, building sections, and renderings. There are also variances related to the upcoming signs for the Terminal Building and its sister project across Smallman.

In addition, the July HRC presentation is online. Relatively few project reviews for next month - 5. That said, there are some pretty sizable projects, including yet another proposal for Bingham Street Condos on the South Side. Interestingly, there is a plan for an infill house in Manchester - I did not know that new-construction infill had to go before the HRC anywhere in the city. It looks like the plan is to build a pseudo-American Foursquare style home here. I don't mind the design - it's more tasteful than a lot of infill - but I find it curious they're aping early 20th century historic designs when the street is much more 19th century. There's also a number of historic nominations for next month (7) with the bulk of them by Matthew Falcone - presumably for Preservation Pittsburgh. My impression is that some of these (like the ones in North Oakland and Downtown) are basically an attempt to preemptively block any nearby development and demolition from taking place, in order to forestall the usual fight only after intention to demolish has been announced.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2020, 2:49 PM

The City Observatory "Youth Movement" report referenced by the PBT is quite interesting.

Full report here:
http://cityobservatory.org/youthmovement/

Dashboard where you can quickly check out Pittsburgh stats here:
http://cityobservatory.org/ym-dashboard/

Some quick high-level summaries:

They focus on 25-34 with 4-year degrees because these are both high human capital and highly mobile people, and therefore of particular interest to high human capital employers thinking about site locations. And they provide a lot of background research explaining these adults are often feeling time-pressured, and that can drive interest in neighborhoods close to work and also various amenities.

They also provide background research explaining that economic segregation is generally bad for lower-income people, that ideally lower-income people would live in mixed-income neighborhoods, and that often that is possible with new higher-income people moving in . . . as long as supply keeps up with demand!

They also point out that in the few cities where influx of these younger educated adults might be slowing down a bit, it is likely mostly because of supply constraints driving up prices. Not so much a Pittsburgh problem yet, and we were one of the accelerating cities, but something to watch.

Finally, for consistency they use a strict definition of census tracts within 3 miles of the center of the CBD for their study areas. That is fine in general, but as applied to Pittsburgh it is problematic due to our complex topography, plus we have a very important second CBD in Oakland, about 2 miles east of Downtown Pittsburgh. So if you drew a 3 mile radius around both, you'd get something more like a fat infinity sign.

So not that I have a problem with the study per se, and in fact even 3 miles of Downtown Pittsburgh covers a lot of the developing areas. But realistically, we're also going to be looking here at least at relevant developments extending farther down the river flats, and clusters along the East Busway and the rest of the emerging East End BRT system (which provide extended access to Downtown as well as Oakland).

And to wrap in one more recent conversation--Downtown Wilkinsburg is only a little over 3 miles from Downtown Oakland as the crow flies, and again they are due for improved connections from the East End BRT project. Plus it is only a 14-minute East Busway ride from Penn Station.

So I do think the fundamental locational value is high, with potential for a pretty vibrant local walking neighborhood too. And while it does have a lot of competitors, with appropriately competitive pricing, some smart TOD investment, and just time, it could indeed become another important cluster.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2020, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
The most weighty aspect of the presentation is much more information about the 2400 Smallman project discussed immediately above this includes floor plans, building sections, and renderings.
Thanks! I was a bit surprised to see the whole top floor was event/meeting space, and a lot the basement "speakeasy" also seems designed for private parties. But maybe that was driven by some perceived need among the office/tech businesses being added to the Strip.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2020, 7:37 PM

So, the June 30th Planning Commission presentation is online. There are five new projects for next week, all of which have their own presentations online.

1. Facade renovations of 339 Forbes downtown, which is the site of a planned yoga studio. The plans include adding sliding glass doors across most of the ground level and a lit sign. They will not mess with the intact historic facade on the upper stories.

2. Plans for a new entrance at PNC's building located at 500 First Avenue. This basically is just plugging some revolving doors into the existing entrance.

3. A new entrance for Carnegie Library's downtown branch at 612 Smithfield Street. Essentially they want to carve a chunk out of the building above the existing entrance, allowing for a two-story foyer which will allow more natural light in on the second story (which the library is now expanding into.

4. The Garden Block project is before the Planning Commission yet again for reasons which are not entirely clear. The new incarnation is a 62-unit residential development with two street-level commercial spaces, and is being designed by Perfido Weiskopf. It looks like the developers also have site control over the Garden Theatre (whats left of it anyway) as well, and are counting that space as one of the two available commercial spaces. Design is meh, but at this point, I'd take anything at that corner of a not totally ridiculously low density. I kinda like how they set up the rear of the development, with the small loading area and the modified central garden space.

5. The redevelopment of the Lawrenceville Sears Outlet into tech/flex office space is before the commission yet again. We've discussed this project in the past - I can't remember if it has been before the Planning Commission previously or the documents just came out during the ZBA hearings. Regardless, although it's a lot of surface parking it doesn't bother me too much, given this is such a comparably cheap project that can be reworked in a decade or two if higher density is warranted.

Also, the Troiani demolitions are back before the Planning Commission for next week, with the commission scheduled to vote. The new presentation is almost totally different from the earlier one. While last time they focused on this amazing planned project, this presentation focuses on all of the reasons why they don't believe it makes sense to save the buildings. Everything flows from this, including making the renderings involving keeping historic elements purposefully uglier, claiming the buildings aren't really historically of interest, and showing that the bracing to keep the facades would be considerable. One thing they have still failed to do they were explicitly asked for is to provide a concrete demolition plan and interim use for the site.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2020, 7:42 PM
Ex Houstonian

I wouldn’t be too surprised if those historic buildings owned by the Troianis downtown mysteriously catch on fire or something.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2020, 7:59 PM

^ you mean like their building in Carnegie...?

Old Posted Jun 25, 2020, 1:39 AM

It's so frustrating how disingenuously they've chosen to represent their facadomy attempt ... for example a conspicuous lack of street trees despite the fact that the sidewalk is represented as the same width makes the historic preservation strategy appear wayyyyy less inviting. Not to mention the fact that several of their renders of the complete building show the historic facade boarded up. Also, as an architect with a decent amount of experience working in historic preservation projects I can't figure out why they can't integrate the lower level void balcony thing into the preservation strategy.

It's obvious the Troianis instructed Rothschild Doyno not to seriously pursue preservation as a viable design strategy- the way its represented its almost entirely superficial. Hopefully the city is able to see this...

Personally I find the "integration" of the historic facades to be preferable, anyway.

Also- I can 200% guarantee the greenery in these renders won't even make it into the bid set for this project.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations