HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Europe

Old Posted Aug 11, 2007, 2:56 PM

My hometown of ZEMUN - Part I

This past April, while on a tour of Eastern Europe, I had the chance of visiting my old home town of Zemun in Serbia. You might have heard about it in the news back in 2003, when a criminal gang called "Zemun clan" was behind the assasination of Serbian PM Zoran Djindjic.

Officially, today Zemun is a part of Belgrade, but it wasn't always so. It had developed on its own since the time Celts (before the Romans) ruled these lands, when it was known as Taurunum.

Its sad for me to say but Zemun has really fallen into disrepeair in the last 15 years or so. Unlike in the booming Belgrade on the other side of the river, there are very few new projects or even renovations of existing buildings happening. The one positive over the last few years was the renovation of the local theater, a project funded by the wife of one of Serbian billionaires tycoons.

But there are some interesting projects in the pipeline, like the revitalization of the waterfront, new bridge over Danube and a light rail line.

The town's population is close to ~200k, accounting for roughtly 1/10th of Belgrade.

We start at the biggest religious temple of Zemun....stadium of FK Zemun
As a kid, I used to train football & athletics here.

Last edited by SrbijaCG; Aug 11, 2007 at 3:05 PM.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Europe