HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Mar 11, 2021, 8:30 PM

Someone was here today doing some basic measurements or something it looked like.

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Apr 9, 2021, 7:47 PM

Looks like soil testing today:

Old Posted Apr 20, 2021, 12:02 AM

More soil testing this time in a different section

Old Posted Oct 27, 2021, 5:56 PM

Anything on this recently? I can't recall if this got approved or not.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2022, 8:45 PM

Soil testing seems to be being done again here yesterday and today:

Old Posted Feb 9, 2022, 11:28 PM

This is the project downtown i'm honestly looking forward to the most. It's such an ugly plot of land when driving down Main.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2022, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHonestMaple View Post
This is the project downtown i'm honestly looking forward to the most. It's such an ugly plot of land when driving down Main.
Im very interested in this getting going. This is a weird kind of dead zone in downtown, and would really be improved by some more activity. I'm not a fan of the car oriented nature of the south side.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2022, 1:52 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRitsman View Post
This is a weird kind of dead zone in downtown, and would really be improved by some more activity. I'm not a fan of the car oriented nature of the south side.
Definitely. And hopefully it leads to more commercial/retail. Hess Village will benefit immensely from this and the stuff along Queen, but so will the shops on King and I hope we see some on Main too.

The Arrival Inn *really* needs to be ripped down and replaced.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2022, 3:02 PM
It's Hammer Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
I've always wanted to film a youtube clip of how nasty the motel is. Basically a youtube's version of Another Dirty Room.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2022, 3:29 PM

Quote:
Definitely. And hopefully it leads to more commercial/retail. Hess Village will benefit immensely from this and the stuff along Queen, but so will the shops on King and I hope we see some on Main too.

Arrival Inn ('Town Manor Motor Hotel') is an inventoried heritage property according to the City. The building next door ('Main Hess Mall') is a registered property as well.
https://www.hamilton.ca/city-plannin...tage-resources

Old Posted Feb 10, 2022, 3:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccheck7 View Post
Arrival Inn ('Town Manor Motor Hotel') is an inventoried heritage property according to the City. The building next door ('Main Hess Mall') is a registered property as well.
Many things are registered. That doesn't give them any special protections. My house is registered as well. Anything built 30 years ago or.more get registered it seems.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2022, 4:12 PM

It will be nice to see this giant lot developed on the main drag. As others have expressed, the Inn must go. Giant eyesore and hopefully the owner sells the land. There's no value add to the city with the current incumbent.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2022, 5:19 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccheck7 View Post
I doubt anything will happen with the mall except potentially renovations or different retail and services. I've never actually been inside... what's it like?

The motel has had so much done to it over the years it's probably lost all aspects of heritage it ever had.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2022, 6:41 PM

Soil testing crew is still there today and seemed to have moved to a different location.

Does anyone know how long after we observe soil testing do we really see a project start moving? Are we looking at years?

Old Posted Feb 10, 2022, 6:55 PM

Soil testing is usually done to determine soil conditions for designing the parking garage, or as a part of a geotechnical report that is often required by the city for a development application.

Typically it's done *prior* to submission to inform the geotechnical report, so this is likely refreshing the existing report as this was submitted a while ago.

This is either because the original borehole measurements are now too old to be accurate, or because they want to recheck data to confirm options for detailed deisgn or something.

It's not really indicative of much for a site that already has an application. For sites that don't, if you see soil testing happening, that probably means a development application is coming. Same with Surveyors on a site, though they are usually harder to spot as they are a lot more inconspicuous when doing their work.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2022, 2:25 AM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:

Could NOT agree more - it's an eyesore.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2022, 3:35 AM
Forever forward.

The motel is indeed one of the worst buildings in the downtown.

It is worth noting that the property lines on the City's mapping service show that the Arrival Inn lot is one and the same with the small apartment building on Caroline:

source

Which makes for a large lot of around 2,200 square metres:

If they could assemble the corner lot, they'd be up to about 2,600 square metres:

Unbelievably, the City actually wants Main Street to be even wider here, by about 3 metres on each side!

source (bottom of page 5)

Old Posted Feb 11, 2022, 1:39 PM

I don't know ... I think that a really creative renovation here could do wonders ... it could be a very unique, arxhitecturally interesting building ... along with a major reno of the shoppers drug mart that kind of just dissappears

Old Posted Feb 11, 2022, 2:18 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamiltonBoyInToronto View Post
I don't know ... I think that a really creative renovation here could do wonders ... it could be a very unique, arxhitecturally interesting building ... along with a major reno of the shoppers drug mart that kind of just dissappears
Maybe some creative developer could attempt to keep the overhanging portion (massively redone) and build behind it, with the entry to the parking garage of a new building using the current access under the motel.

Shoppers is part of the city housing complex so that's a separate job. I could see SDM moving to an entirely new location nearby instead of staying in 181 Main W.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2022, 3:31 PM

They've been soil testing at this site like crazy, every single day.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton