HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Suburbs

Old Posted Oct 11, 2023, 6:15 PM

Tiny Home Development - Cobequid Road

Interesting to see this coming together.
This is on the (now former) Correctional Centre Ball Field near the Cobequid Community Health Centre (which is where the jail once was).

52 units of tiny homes

https://novascotia.ca/news/release/?id=20231011001

Old Posted Oct 11, 2023, 8:28 PM

I think it's a decent tactical approach. A spring timeline, although long for cookie-cutter homes which are likely made elsewhere (and shipped as-is onto the plot), feels appropriate given our constraints around having enough people to get these things done (plus I imagine the land needs some work?)

Always, would like to see more, but I don't have any issues with this. Keep it coming.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2023, 8:53 PM

Is there a shed for bubs?

Old Posted Oct 11, 2023, 9:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikesBikes View Post
Is there a shed for bubs?
And his Cats.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2023, 12:06 PM

A huge mistake.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2023, 12:12 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
A huge mistake.
As a stopgap this may be acceptable, but there is no way this ever should be considered the "new normal."

A real coherent public housing policy is necessary.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2023, 10:43 AM

From the link provided by the OP:
Quote:
Rent will be geared to income, which means that rent will be no more than 30 per cent of a person’s income. Community residents will be selected from the HRM By Name List and will receive the wraparound support they need to help them connect to employment and more permanent housing.
Given that this is already the location of a 'tent city', I assume the current residents be moved elsewhere?

It seems like a good idea on the surface, a small community of heated and serviced homes with a support network to help people who are legitimately trying to get back into society, or even to just help somebody get a lift who had a rough stretch. However, I do wonder if it will feel contentious for those living in tents on the site who might feel that they should be in those homes, but haven't made it to HRM's list.

The fact that this is necessary is a symptom of how far down overall quality of life has slipped for everybody in the country, but it's nice that there is still a support network to try to help those who have suffered the worst from the housing crisis, etc.

There's an article on CBC with a little more info:
N.S. announces two pilot projects to reduce homelessness

Old Posted Oct 13, 2023, 1:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
It seems like a good idea on the surface, a small community of heated and serviced homes with a support network to help people who are legitimately trying to get back into society, or even to just help somebody get a lift who had a rough stretch. However, I do wonder if it will feel contentious for those living in tents on the site who might feel that they should be in those homes, but haven't made it to HRM's list.

The fact that this is necessary is a symptom of how far down overall quality of life has slipped for everybody in the country, but it's nice that there is still a support network to try to help those who have suffered the worst from the housing crisis, etc.

I think it is a very poor idea. Tiny homes are a trendy thing that makes very little sense. If you need to give 100 people a 300 sq ft bedroom and bathroom which is about all these will have, it would make far more sense not to build 100 small individual structures but to build larger dorm-like buildings to house them under one roof, even if they need separate entrances/exits. I suppose the one good thing is that if someone decides to intentionally burn it down or accidentally has their crack pipe explode it only takes out one unit. I can only imagine what a hellhole this place will be in a few years.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2023, 2:01 PM
Cap the Cut!

I suspect that the tiny home experiment will be an expensive failure. Perhaps a better solution to a temporary problem would be to provide an existing climate controlled building such as an arena in which to set up tents for the winter season.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2023, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrdeeharharharbour View Post
I suspect that the tiny home experiment will be an expensive failure. Perhaps a better solution to a temporary problem would be to provide an existing climate controlled building such as an arena in which to set up tents for the winter season.
Indeed. A story in the Herald today describes how the much-ballyhooed modular housing units purchased by HRM such as the ones near Alderney Landing are partly empty because of the actions of some of those housed in them, and DCS has issued a number of decrees to the Out of the Cold outfit that supposedly operates them to get their act together or get out.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2023, 1:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrdeeharharharbour View Post
How does that solve the problems ? The issue is homeless people are almost all battling addiction mental illness or both. This is not a cost of living crisis.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2023, 12:54 PM
Cap the Cut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOWetal View Post
How does that solve the problems ? The issue is homeless people are almost all battling addiction mental illness or both. This is not a cost of living crisis.

I don't see my suggestion as solving any problems, rather it may save some money that could be more effectively used to support these folks in other ways. One thing I think I've sensed from personal observation and through press coverage of these people living in tents is that the only real power they have left in this world is where they pitch their tent and perhaps the tent itself and its contents. I'm not saying that they like living in tents but I don't see how stripping them of their last bit of self-determination power is going to help. Ergo, provide a safe summer-like climate in which to live as they are and also make mental health and addiction services available.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2023, 2:35 PM
Salty Town

It would seem to me that a temporary structure like the East Coast Varsity Dome could be erected more quickly and provide more shelter in the short term until a more permanent solution is found. This would provide shelter for high quality tents. There could be an area for meals and meds etc. Perhaps on the selected site a permanent building could be constructed of adequate size for affordable units. 10 storey+. Maybe two buildings?

East Coast Varsity Dome:
https://www.google.com/maps/@44.6573...8192?entry=ttu

Old Posted Oct 15, 2023, 3:02 PM
Cap the Cut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empire View Post
It would seem to me that a temporary structure like the East Coast Varsity Dome could be erected more quickly and provide more shelter in the short term until a more permanent solution is found. This would provide shelter for high quality tents. There could be an area for meals and meds etc. Perhaps on the selected site a permanent building could be constructed of adequate size for affordable units. 10 storey+. Maybe two buildings?

East Coast Varsity Dome:
https://www.google.com/maps/@44.6573...8192?entry=ttu

I think you've identified the perfect type of structure.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2023, 2:31 PM

Quote:
Indeed. A story in the Herald today describes how the much-ballyhooed modular housing units purchased by HRM such as the ones near Alderney Landing are partly empty because of the actions of some of those housed in them, and DCS has issued a number of decrees to the Out of the Cold outfit that supposedly operates them to get their act together or get out.
It is an unfortunate reality that there is a certain small (<1%) segment of the population that is for whatever reason effectively "unhouseable." You could provide these people a brand new home fully furnished with all utilities and supplies paid, and it would be destroyed in a matter of weeks to months.

I'm not sure what the answer is but more of the same, endlessly wasting money and resources to zero positive effect doesn't seem to be it.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2023, 5:14 PM

Quote:
I think it is a very poor idea. Tiny homes are a trendy thing that makes very little sense. If you need to give 100 people a 300 sq ft bedroom and bathroom which is about all these will have, it would make far more sense not to build 100 small individual structures but to build larger dorm-like buildings to house them under one roof, even if they need separate entrances/exits. I suppose the one good thing is that if someone decides to intentionally burn it down or accidentally has their crack pipe explode it only takes out one unit. I can only imagine what a hellhole this place will be in a few years.
TBH, I see this as another version of converting a hotel to a homeless structure, but less permanent. The tiny homes can be assembled offsite, the land can be prepared for installation while the homes are being built, and installation should be able to happen more quickly, more cheaply, and less permanently than building a permanent structure. I like that aspect of it.

Another thing is that IMHO this is not a replacement for addiction or mental health care/rehabilitation. These units should be reserved for those who legitimately want to get back into the saddle (i.e. work at a job while using these homes as a place to stay until they can find their own apartment, etc.). Not sure if that's what will happen, but it seems to be worth a try. I'm sure there are people out there who just need a boost to help them turn their lives around again.

If the criteria is fairly strict (i.e. no drug use/booze, etc permitted on site), then it could work. IMHO that will tend to keep out the hard cases that will never do any more with their lives than continued drug use while living on social assistance. I'm not sure how effective enforcement would be, but I do have knowledge of a person who was offered a hotel room to get him out of the tent, but once he found out he couldn't drink there, he declined the room and stayed in the tent).

Not sure where it will all end up, but it is sad that we have come to this. Things definitely don't appear to be getting any better out there.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2023, 11:47 PM

There is a tiny home community in Fredericton that is working very well. https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-b...ver%2Dchanging.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2023, 11:19 AM

I think we should differentiate the tiny home community from another HRM initiative to source up to 200 pallet shelters.

Tiny homes will be offered to clients not for free, but at a rental rate of no more than 30% of income.
AFAIK, the pallet shelters (much barer, less permanent structures) will be free emergency shelters.

This should filter the demographic a bit.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2023, 11:53 AM

"Pallet shelters" sound absolutely dreadful.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2023, 7:21 PM

Quote:
"Pallet shelters" sound absolutely dreadful.
They look pretty dreadful too. They are about as substantial as a kid's playhouse one would purchase at Home Depot. They come flat-packed, hence the name "pallet shelter". Barely more weatherproof than a tent IMO.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Suburbs