HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

The Brooklyn Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted May 21, 2020, 8:08 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Its going to move fast too. End of Summer should be noticeable.

I do hope 45 Broad picks up. Right now its stalled, on-hold, until the market is just right, and hopefully once this Covid mierda goes away, another boom is in store.

Old Posted May 21, 2020, 8:15 PM
West End & Riverside

I took these today, you can see several other stalled projects while 9 Dekalb is busy like this every day.
The pics are either too large or too small with this new hosting site, so I'll go with medium and you can click to see larger.

Adjacent Boerum Hill

Last edited by Barney Greengrass; May 21, 2020 at 9:19 PM.

Old Posted May 21, 2020, 8:59 PM
New Yorker for life

^ The birth of a Brooklyn icon.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted May 21, 2020, 11:37 PM

9 DeKalb. ICONIC AND HISTORIC.

During the Great Depression, the Empire State Building was constructed and completed in 1932 and was a symbol of the city's recovery and has been symbolized for generations. 9 DeKalb will have the same effect. As the building rises during the COVID-19 crisis when completed, this tower will symbolize the city's recovery and will stand and be enjoyed for generations to come. Anyone else see this parallel ?

Last edited by peteybrooklyn1959; May 22, 2020 at 12:21 AM.

Old Posted May 22, 2020, 12:21 AM
West End & Riverside

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteybrooklyn1959 View Post
During the Great Depression, the Empire State Building was constructed and completed in 1932 and was a symbol of the city's recovery and has been symbolized for generations. 9 DeKalb will have the same effect. As the building rises during the COVID-19 crisis when completed, this tower will symbolize the city's recovery and will stand and be enjoyed for generations to come. Anyone else see this parallel ?
Although I truly appreciate the nostalgia and optimistic sentiment, I don't think in this era of the power nimby and their absurdly unscientific shadow casting "studies", a tall, mostly luxury residential tower will ever be seen by a majority of Brooklynites as a "symbol of recovery and renewal". Of course I'm sure it will be called that in a documentary fifty years from now, but at the moment if you took a poll I would imagine a majority of residents would want it torn down and an organic herb microfarm/dog run installed in its place.

I have learned to keep my mouth shut about my high rise density advocacy at BBQ's and other events around here. The neighbors on either side of us sport anti-80FB placards in their windows.

That said, fuck 'em all, it's going up whether they like it or not!

Hopefully when it is complete, if it is indeed as glorious as the renderings, people in the Boro will begin to look at it with affection and give it a name like One Hanson's "Big Willie".

Old Posted May 27, 2020, 4:53 PM

Taken today.

Old Posted May 27, 2020, 4:54 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

^ ooooh boyeee here we go.

gracias great view.

Old Posted May 27, 2020, 8:59 PM

Great first post!!

Welcome to the forums and look forward to further updates!

Old Posted May 27, 2020, 9:51 PM

That's gonna be a great angle for this tower. While there are several towers in NYC being built or planned that will be bigger, this one just feels like it's gonna have such a huge impact. It will completely change the skyline dynamic and transform how the NYC skyline is shown. Think of all the photographers and movie shots that will focus on this tower and Downtown Brooklyn, it will be an immediate icon. LIC while also is transforming is currently lacking a project like this.

Old Posted May 28, 2020, 1:31 AM
New Yorker for life

That Dime building is looking lovely, perfect for this tower. You'll be able to see the pool from that view.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted May 28, 2020, 6:24 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Hey, hey what you waitin' for?
Do it, (you better) do it, (you better) do it
What you waitin' for?
Do it, ('cause I'm a) do it, ('cause I'm a) do it
What you waitin' for?
Do it, (you know we) do it, (you know we) do it
Let me hear ya say big shit poppin' and little shit stoppin'
Big shit poppin' and little shit stoppin'
Big shit poppin' and little shit stoppin'

Credit: jdsdevelopmentgroup

Old Posted Jun 3, 2020, 12:27 AM
New Yorker for life

Video Link

https://therealdeal.com/2020/06/02/w...g-the-skyline/

Quote:
The group talked about the “responsibility of the skyline,” as Stern called it, in building and designing in New York. Pasquarelli and Stern have worked on one project that’s altered the Manhattan skyline: 111 West 57th Street, a luxury residential supertall atop the landmarked Steinway Hall. On designing the structure, Pasquarelli observed, “Several dozen extraordinarily wealthy people are going to live inside this building … but 8 million of us have to live with this building every single day.”

The duo noted that while they love working with their other partners, they both find something “special” about working together.

“I don’t know what other architect could have given us the integrity of design with all the obstacles on that site,” Stern said of another project, 9 Dekalb Avenue. That building, when finished, will be the tallest in Brooklyn.

When asked if he anticipated that designing real estate would be different following the pandemic, Stern said he has “utmost confidence in people’s inability to remember anything very long.”

“If anyone thinks they’re gonna write New York off, or thinks that the trend towards urbanization and density around transit is just gonna stop and reverse, they’re wrong,” he added.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2020, 2:45 AM

Please please please don't let this be a victim of the current situation. I love this so much.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2020, 2:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenratboy View Post
Please please please don't let this be a victim of the current situation. I love this so much.
This property is fully financed, so the currently horrible economy is irrelevent.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2020, 1:07 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Old Posted Jun 22, 2020, 3:28 AM

This is one of the most interesting projects going up anywhere in the world in my opinion. After all these years Brooklyn is finally getting a real anchor on it's skyline and it's only going to make NYC more beautiful (if that's even possible). I'm so happy to see it going up.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2020, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
This is one of the most interesting projects going up anywhere in the world in my opinion. After all these years Brooklyn is finally getting a real anchor on it's skyline and it's only going to make NYC more beautiful (if that's even possible). I'm so happy to see it going up.
Absolutely, in my opinion most interesting and important skyscraper going up now, because Brooklyn, despite its sparkling point in pop culture has always had a rather bleh skyline from Manhattan perspective. Finally there is a supertall and an anchor, and not only that, but a fucking GORGEOUS building. This is the nicest and most place-inspired design so far. I see this and think Gotham. It isn't some dull faceless glass building (sorry hudson yards). It has personality and oomph

Old Posted Jun 22, 2020, 2:53 PM

Taken Saturday 6/20

Old Posted Jun 22, 2020, 3:29 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjreisen View Post
Absolutely, in my opinion most interesting and important skyscraper going up now, because Brooklyn, despite its sparkling point in pop culture has always had a rather bleh skyline from Manhattan perspective. Finally there is a supertall and an anchor, and not only that, but a fucking GORGEOUS building. This is the nicest and most place-inspired design so far. I see this and think Gotham. It isn't some dull faceless glass building (sorry hudson yards). It has personality and oomph
Amen to that!

The 1st super tall outside of Manhattan, and a hell of a tower to make history.

Wasn't too long ago that One Hanson Place was the most dominant tower in Brooklyn. Not too long ago! Brooklyn alone has a skyline and clusters that if placed alone, would rival most places in the U.S..

Its a glorious time to be in skyscraper wise.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2020, 4:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTBKFan View Post
[IMG]http//i.postimg.cc/zvxj3s/9-Dekalb6-20-20.jpg[/IMG]

Taken Saturday 6/20

Thanks for the photo, you have such an awesome perspective to watch this beauty grow!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture