HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Apr 29, 2021, 7:22 PM

Ducey signs bill that could help Diamondbacks finance Chase Field renovation

Let's see if the DBacks move forward now that the bill has been signed to law. Quote below sounds like more posturing by Derrick Hall but I see no way that they don't take advantage of this new funding mechanism. Hopefully renderings or early plans are released soon as I would expect that their due diligence has already been done and Kendrick didn't just pull the $500M figure out of his ass.

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...acks-fina.html
Quote:
“We would still have to make the decision whether we want to utilize it and if we are going to stay here [Chase Field],” Hall told the Business Journal. “That decision is far from being made. The pandemic put a stop to everything. We had to take pause. But we’ll get back into the process and figure out what makes the most sense.”

While specifics have not yet been finalized, if the team decides to stay at Chase Field and make the $500 million in renovations, Hall said the team would also make dramatic changes to the area surrounding the stadium. He envisions a mixed-use development with retail, restaurants and a hotel. All of which would be included in the theme park distinct and would pay the tax.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2021, 6:40 AM

I definitely envision a hotel on the SW corner of 7th St and Jefferson. But before we start talking “entertainment district” let’s fill up Colliers and Adeline with some restaurants and hopefully some retail first. With the new Battery, hopefully a little Convenient store in that nice brick building they kept. And let’s see the old Coach and Willys building with a new bar in there. Idk how many bars you can have, I mean Wrigleyville has endless bars but that is probably one of the most dense, affluent neighborhoods in the country and I definitely wouldn’t say The SE portion of downtown and south dense or affluent. And aren’t we already supposed to call the area the “Legends District”? Doesn’t seem like that caught on too much.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2021, 6:47 AM

One more thing, I think The Summit is definitely ready for a twin in the parking lot just west of it. Maybe a taller more handsomer twin. with the amount of apartments that have gone up or in the works, I am really surprised that there isn’t even one condo tower that hasn’t broke ground yet. Especially with how hot the market is still.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2021, 2:16 PM
Skyriser

The lot to the next door has been owned by some land banker since 2008, and height limits have been lowered since Summit was built. Not likely going to get developed.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2021, 6:21 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
The lot to the next door has been owned by some land banker since 2008, and height limits have been lowered since Summit was built. Not likely going to get developed.
Actually, 2 summers ago there was a sign on the lot advertising "high-rise lot for sale". The sign was taken down a couple months later, so I'm not sure what happened with it or why the sign was removed if it wasn't sold. As for the height, since the Blue was approved at 250' and Summit is already 255', I don't see any reason the city council would not approve another tower at least the same height of Summit or slightly less than. Nowakowski brought up this point in the council meeting to approve the Blue's height due to Chase and Summit already both in the 250' range. The council approval was unanimous.

Edit: I think the for sale sign was actually 3 summers ago.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2021, 6:34 PM

I did five minutes of research.

He owns a company called Toy Barn which is car/boat/utv storage and he owns a development company which probably does nothing more than develop Toy Barn locations?

https://ecorp.azcc.gov/BusinessSearc...mber=L14389083

Those addresses aren't addresses of people who are bankrolled enough to build high rises. I'm confident we'll have to wait until a developer approaches him.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2021, 8:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
I did five minutes of research.

He owns a company called Toy Barn which is car/boat/utv storage and he owns a development company which probably does nothing more than develop Toy Barn locations?

https://ecorp.azcc.gov/BusinessSearc...mber=L14389083

Those addresses aren't addresses of people who are bankrolled enough to build high rises. I'm confident we'll have to wait until a developer approaches him.

I’m happy with the same height too, understanding it’s closer to the Sky Harbor flight path. But let’s hope they sell soon. That seems pretty prime, with The Battery now. Right between the stadium and arena. Seems like an ideal spot for any sports fan, especially with Fandual adding a sports book to the arena.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2021, 8:19 PM
Skyriser

Every time I look at one of these parcels and I see that it's owned by some random guy or LLC for many years with the mailing address to a suburban house it's a dead giveaway it's not going to be developed any time soon. There just sounds like too many owners who want to land bank and have their tax write-offs.

Old Posted May 4, 2021, 2:30 AM

I actually wouldn't mind if this actually does become the blueprint/rendering of how the Dbacks would renovate Chase Field, but it would ideal. However, I don't know if schematically possible?

https://www.azcentral.com/story/spor...rm/3745263002/

Last edited by KingLouieLouie76; May 4, 2021 at 3:33 AM.

Old Posted May 4, 2021, 2:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLouieLouie76 View Post
I actually wouldn't make if this actually does become the blueprint/rendering of how the Dbacks would renovate Chase Field, but it would ideal. However, I don't know if schematically possible?

https://www.azcentral.com/story/spor...rm/3745263002/
That's an article from 2 years ago about some leaked schematics for a new ballpark if the D-Backs relocated to another part of the valley; not for a renovated Chase Field.

Old Posted May 4, 2021, 3:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichTempe View Post
That's an article from 2 years ago about some leaked schematics for a new ballpark if the D-Backs relocated to another part of the valley; not for a renovated Chase Field.
Yes, I know this, however, I was wondering if they could possibly use this as a basis to renovate Chase Field. I believe it's remotely possible.

Old Posted May 4, 2021, 9:22 PM

This recent article offers more greater detail.....

Edit: https://www.sportico.com/leagues/bas...on-1234628927/

Quote:
The D-backs envision constructing a ballpark village around Chase Field to include a hotel and eating establishments. They could place user fees of up to 9% on hotel bills, bar tabs and restaurant bills to help pay back the debt. The users fees could essentially fund a “mixed use” approach, Hall said.

“We could essentially say, ‘OK, we’ll charge 7% on beer, 3% on general concessions and 5% on merchandise [at the ballpark],’” Hall said. “It allows you to finance what you borrowed and what has been bonded for at a much quicker pace.”

The D-backs already have control of a multi-tiered parking garage south of the ballpark where they could rebuild, plus other open space contiguous to the ballpark, but they’d try to purchase other parcels of land in the vicinity to expand the project, Hall said.

Last edited by KingLouieLouie76; May 4, 2021 at 10:04 PM.

Old Posted May 4, 2021, 9:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLouieLouie76 View Post
This recent article offers more greater detail.....
You forgot to include the link to the article

But now we're talking. I love the idea of tearing down that ugly garage and potentially turning into a mixed-used space. Also, the purchasing of land around the ballpark is very intriguing. I know there was some discussion here already but would love for them to build South towards Lincoln and perhaps East and under 7th St bridge like biggus had proposed

Old Posted May 4, 2021, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post
You forgot to include the link to the article

But now we're talking. I love the idea of tearing down that ugly garage and potentially turning into a mixed-used space. Also, the purchasing of land around the ballpark is very intriguing. I know there was some discussion here already but would love for them to build South towards Lincoln and perhaps East and under 7th St bridge like biggus had proposed

Thanks for pointing out that huge oversight on my part! I've since added it to that post. So, probably the area that biggus diguss' friend owns? I forgot who owns the south end of the old convention center, but I remember that even came up regarding when the Suns were in renovations. But down 7th st. between Lincoln and Buckeye makes sense and then around Jefferson into the warehouse district. Definitely intriguing and this is where Sarver and Kendrick should partner up some, nut I highly doubt it, but both could really benefit from a true "Legends District".

Old Posted May 4, 2021, 10:12 PM

All this talk of reinventing the garages around the ballpark would go lengths to improving that side of downtown which is often dead. If Convention Center South talks were to start again this is could be an opportunity to create a kind of complementary district for the ‘ballpark village’ with a hotel or mixed-use development. Could be one contiguous stretch of bars and mixed-uses from City hall to 7th St.

But if there’s any garage that needs to go it’s the Garage Mahal on Washington.

Old Posted May 4, 2021, 11:42 PM

This is a sim city idea but it's fun to think about.

Convention center south building becomes whatever it is you all want it to be, and along with a redesigned ballpark and opening into Mike's little cold storage district (east of 7th) with bars and restaurants, that ballpark could be a fun place on game day.

The land is there, the opportunity is there. The payoff is probably too difficult to envision.

Old Posted May 4, 2021, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phxguy View Post
All this talk of reinventing the garages around the ballpark would go lengths to improving that side of downtown which is often dead. If Convention Center South talks were to start again this is could be an opportunity to create a kind of complementary district for the ‘ballpark village’ with a hotel or mixed-use development. Could be one contiguous stretch of bars and mixed-uses from City hall to 7th St.

But if there’s any garage that needs to go it’s the Garage Mahal on Washington.
I agree that Garage Mahal needs to go but don't think we will see that happen ny time soon.

Anyways, I wonder if Kendricks/Sarver could partner with Hines Development Group and work with the City to re-develop CC South Building into a mixed-used space and entertainment district (along with replacing the CC square footage lost and more). But I doubt it.

If you guys remember, Hines was the original developer that proactively reached out to the City a couple of years ago to redevelop 3rd St from Monroe to Jefferson St along w/ the CC South building.

Old Posted May 5, 2021, 12:07 AM
Skyriser

I could definitely see not all of the garage mahal going but a good portion of it being repurposed. The whole perimeter could be repurposed for better and more visible retail, they could selectively demolish the corners for towers, put 5 stories of apartments on top, etc.

Old Posted May 5, 2021, 2:15 AM

I know I am piecing up and citing several older articles, but they all add a glimpse to what the Dbacks apparently are aiming here and they had to present some physical blueprint or renderings for this most recent legislation to pass.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/barrymb...h=109721693f9d

Quote:
The current model is to build ballparks and football stadiums at the center of such year-round mixed-use developments, like the Battery Atlanta that was built by the Braves adjacent to what is now called Truist Park and opened together north of downtown in 2017.
Here's the link to the Battery Atlanta https://batteryatl.com/

If the Dbacks indeed can secure all the line and effectively of the external structure of Chase Field then all of this become reality with those renderings from that 2019 link I posted earlier.

Old Posted May 5, 2021, 6:00 AM
Skyriser

They can dream about things like Battery Atlanta, but the obvious issue is that there's not a lot of space surrounding Chase...well, nothing like enough to build an outdoor mall like that which is probably a good thing. I still don't know why people are doing that in downtowns in 2021...

As for chase, I can see them duct taping on some towers ... one each could go on the ticket booth and player parking surface lot area, that 2 story retail annex, some sort of pavilion by that stupid surface lot and moat like they did with US Airways Center.

But other than that not much else without some serious work--probably more than they could have something pencil out. It's hard enough to get a tower to build on a vacant lot without incentives let alone digging into and reconfiguring a massive stadium like Chase.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest