HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Dec 13, 2019, 6:45 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorganChi View Post
https://www.chicagoarchitecture.org/...r-repair-shop/

Here a interesting article about 401 N state street

Interesting is one way to put it. I'd go with bizarre. This guy "Editor" seems to be relaying a conversation between the city and this attorney. This bit struck me as a bit WTF: "...the city pushed back saying that without a specific development proposal it couldn't give detailed answers about what's allowed." If, as the article mentions, the attorney communicated with DPD, that obviously would not in any circumstance be an acceptable answer. 'What can be built there today? I'm not saying until you tell me what you want to build!' Yeah, no. The rules at least should be crystal clear about what would conform to the existing PD.

Last edited by SamInTheLoop; Dec 13, 2019 at 7:31 PM. Reason: to reflect article mentioned correspondence with DPD

Old Posted Dec 13, 2019, 7:12 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by trvlr70 View Post
Of all the offensive parking garages out there, 401 N State is not of them. I like how this one looks. Go develop a real eye sore.
If you read the letter in the PD filing, it simply looks like the owner is trying to put a value on the land. Obviously, that land is worth more if it comes with the ability to tear down the garage and build a taller structure.

However, the letter from the city indicates that this is NOT possible within the rules of the existing PD, so any would-be developer would have to go through a re-zoning process (the Brendan Reilly special) in order to tear down and build new. Without zoning in place, the land will be worth less on the open market and any sales might need to have a zoning contingency.

The letter did indicate that the city is willing to flex the rules a little bit to allow for changes of use to be granted administratively, without involving the alderman or community. This was done already to allow IBM to be converted from office to hotel use when it became the Langham.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2019, 11:10 PM

800 W Fulton

Old Posted Dec 13, 2019, 11:13 PM

From Alderman Reilly about the Cassidy Tire Redevelopment

"Earlier this week, Alderman Reilly hosted a community presentation for a new mixed-use development proposal at 344 North Canal Street.

(344 North Canal Street, image courtesy of Habitat Company & SCB)

The proposed project would include a 33-story building containing 343 residential units, 124 enclosed parking spaces, and ground floor commercial space. The project also provides for bicycle parking spaces within the building.

The 343 residential units are divided into: 75 Efficiencies (21.9%), 25 Jr 1 Bedroom (7.3%), 186 1 Bedroom (54.2%), 57 2 & 2+ Bedroom (16.6%). The building will achieve 100 points under the City's sustainability policy. The architects have not yet determined the specific mechanisms to achieve the points.

(View looking northbound Canal Street, image courtesy of Habitat Company & SCB)

If you were unable to attend the Monday, December 9th meeting, please click on the following links to view the slideshow presentation and traffic study.

(Ground floor site plan, courtesy of Habitat Company & SCB)

The traffic study was conducted by Gewalt Hamilton Associates Inc. and accounts for traffic impacts from Wolf Point East as well a possible development on the vacant lot (approx. 527 W. Kinzie Street), adjacent to 344 North Canal Street. A brief summary of the traffic study is below:
The Developer proposes guest pick up and drop off to occur on the north side of the building, accessed from Canal Street (southbound only) and exiting to Clinton Street.
A queuing analysis was performed to measure storage space of queuing vehicles in this area. The traffic study considers a conservative 10-minute time frame for estimating vehicle idling for pick up or drop off in this internal lane. The analysis determined that a maximum queue of one vehicle is anticipated during the peak hours.
Loading for deliveries and refuse pick up will be conducted from the proposed two loading berths on the west side of the building located on the East-West Alley, accessed from Clinton Street.

(Entry Court on Canal Street, image courtesy of Habitat Company & SCB)

Alderman Reilly uses your feedback to negotiate across the table from the development team. This transparent development review process has yielded significant improvements to projects proposed in the 42nd Ward, and has resulted in substantial community benefits implemented at private expense.
"

Old Posted Dec 14, 2019, 7:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PittsburghPA View Post

https://documentcloud.adobe.com/link...e-b1835a3f8861

https://documentcloud.adobe.com/link...3-5aad932dba8e

Old Posted Dec 14, 2019, 7:42 AM
Chicago

167 N Green

December 12, 2019

Old Posted Dec 14, 2019, 7:43 AM
Chicago

800 W Fulton Market

December 12, 2019

Old Posted Dec 14, 2019, 7:43 AM
Chicago

Fulton East - 215 N Peoria

December 12, 2019

Old Posted Dec 14, 2019, 7:44 AM
Chicago

Gr333n - 333 N Green

December 12, 2019

Old Posted Dec 14, 2019, 6:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PittsburghPA View Post

At least with the loss of the Cassidy tire building, there look to be really nice improvements to the pedestrian experience on Canal. The sidewalks there currently are very tight to say the least. I do wish they would lose one of those drive access points on Clinton though.

The traffic study makes some decent recommendations, but seems a little, I don't know, naive? The Kinzie/Clinton intersection probably needs to be addressed in some way. I am not sure if a light there would be better or worse - but it is already a mess with the strange way the intersection is spaced, the confusion from drivers navigating through the forest of columns, the heavy amount of pedestrian traffic, and the uber drivers confusing the bike lanes with parking.

Allowing access from Canal only via southbound traffic and egress on Clinton only northbound sounds fine in concept but kind of nightmarish when you start to think about where people would try and turn around if approaching on Canal northbound.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2019, 2:27 AM

It's been awhile since I've seen a project, Gr333n, turnout exactly like the render looked.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2019, 4:18 AM

369 W Grand

Old Posted Dec 15, 2019, 1:35 PM

Superior House

Old Posted Dec 15, 2019, 4:25 PM

Looks like Nobu finally has their construction company situation sorted. Work has (at least partially) restarted. The sidewalks have new pex tubing laid down for what looks like radiant heating

Old Posted Dec 15, 2019, 4:33 PM

Bentham Condos - 146 W Erie

Old Posted Dec 15, 2019, 5:36 PM
you know where I'll be

344 N Canal

The burnt-orangish facade elements are metal cladding. Nice. Had wrongly assumed from small renderings this was painted concrete.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2019, 2:39 PM

50 E Randolph

Dec 12

Pigeon eye view.

Watch this space.....

Cisterns for onsite rainwater retention ( Chicago code ? )

Teamwork

Old Posted Dec 16, 2019, 3:20 PM

Old Posted Dec 16, 2019, 7:53 PM
you know where I'll be

202-220 S State Redevelopment Scuttled

Very disappointing. This redevelopment has been killed. Adaptive reuse of 202 and 220 S State, with a slender new construction tower in-between, for residential. Was really looking forward to this project.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/colum...3h4-story.html

Old Posted Dec 16, 2019, 8:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
Very disappointing. This redevelopment has been killed. Adaptive reuse of 202 and 220 S State, with a slender new construction tower in-between, for residential. Was really looking forward to this project.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/colum...3h4-story.html
Well this is incredibly disappointing. As the last lines state though- let's hope when the GSA does decide to sell them in an auction sometime soon so at least something can get done with the site.

Last edited by ChiPlanner; Dec 16, 2019 at 10:20 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations