HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

53W53 in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jun 26, 2013, 8:12 PM

I wonder why so many asian banks have become backers of these projects. Are the American banks still uneasy with major loans for residential projects?

Old Posted Jun 26, 2013, 8:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTEPman View Post
I wonder why so many asian banks have become backers of these projects. Are the American banks still uneasy with major loans for residential projects?
I'm pretty sure the loans for 432 Park Ave were provided by American banks, as well as 56 Leonard and 30 Park Place. When One 57 was starting construction the residential market was just digging out of its doldrums, so Abu Dubai made sense for Extell. It looks like Tower Verre and 225 West 57th Street are also both going to get primary foreign funding.

I think the reasoning has to do with interest rates being lower from foreign banks, and also because some Asian economies are heavily geared towards high end real estate right now. There is a greater acknowledgment in these places that real estate is a safe bet, especially in New York City's super heated property market. And many of the buyers of the units in these towers are in fact Asian investors. You probably would have found the same thing during the 1980s with Japanese investments in US property, this isn't some radical new trend.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2013, 11:36 PM

By no means is any company setting up interests in another country new. I mean, how do you think fast food places like McDonalds got to be so big in Russia and Japan? The only difference there is that the businesspeople who brought our product over didn't quite feel the need to build 80+ story HQ towers.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2013, 4:51 PM
Ω

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
( May 16, 2013 )

The Rain Room sits on our lovely spot for the time being...

In London people were waiting in line in the rain for the Rain Room.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2013, 11:07 PM
New Yorker for life

Another permit yesterday....

http://a810-bisweb.nyc.gov/bisweb/Jo...ssdocnumber=01

Quote:
INSTALLATION OF NEW FIRE ALARM SYSTEM AS SHOWN ON DRAWINGS

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2013, 5:26 PM
BANNED

Very nice addition.

Last edited by Perklol; Jul 10, 2013 at 2:11 PM.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2013, 4:37 AM
Heavy User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerton View Post
In London people were waiting in line in the rain for the Rain Room.
People were doing that last week in NY weren't they? It was raining when I went to MOMA last Tuesday.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2013, 1:54 AM
New Yorker for life

View from above...

http://architizer.kinja.com/drones-s...iew-1027978852

Quote:
SkyPan's miniature helicopters have captured views from such highly publicized in-development projects as Jean Nouvel's MoMA tower, Herzog & de Meuron's 56 Leonard skyscraper, and Rafael Viñoly's 432 Park Avenue.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2013, 5:19 PM

Wow, just imagine that view with 225 W 57th to the left and 432 Park to the right.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2013, 6:48 PM
New Yorker for life

Eventually, to get views of the park, they're gonna have to go higher...

Old Posted Aug 9, 2013, 11:23 PM
New Yorker for life

A couple of graphics of our beauty...

Lower level footprint...

Old Posted Aug 9, 2013, 11:52 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

The 21st century Chrysler Building

Old Posted Aug 10, 2013, 1:53 AM
BANNED

The Folk Museum is getting in the way - it needs to be razed ASAP.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2013, 2:22 AM

I'm just beginning to drool now....never mind with her would/will-be sister One57...at how TV's going to complement GE/RCA from any perspective.

It will stagger the mind of more than a few......

Aw, hell!.......just thought of thissun........

TV and BofA/1BP. The jaggedness......

Mind. Fucking. Blown.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2013, 3:24 AM

It's so damned perfect. But so so aggravating that yet another nearby tower, 111 w57th, is going to be much taller (although I won't say dwarfed because that building is only, what, like 30 feet wide?) -- it's just criminal. This thing should be taller than ESB.

And the fact is, it's not just a crime against aesthetics. As we're seeing with the exorbitant prices of the 57th Street penthouses, those extra 200 feet could be worth nearly half a billion dollars! I'm sure there just isn't a case for it, otherwise they'd have tried already, but I wish Hines would sue Amanda Burden and the City to allow them to build to the full height.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2013, 8:28 AM
don't *meddle*...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallKnight View Post
It's so damned perfect. But so so aggravating that yet another nearby tower, 111 w57th, is going to be much taller (although I won't say dwarfed because that building is only, what, like 30 feet wide?) -- it's just criminal. This thing should be taller than ESB.

And the fact is, it's not just a crime against aesthetics. As we're seeing with the exorbitant prices of the 57th Street penthouses, those extra 200 feet could be worth nearly half a billion dollars! I'm sure there just isn't a case for it, otherwise they'd have tried already, but I wish Hines would sue Amanda Burden and the City to allow them to build to the full height.
Unfortunately Verre had to go through the CPC and wasn't 'as of right'.
I'll never understand Burden's argument: she said, the top didn't look good (in comparison with the ESB lol), so it had to be chopped off. She never gave Hines the chance to redesign it...

Old Posted Aug 10, 2013, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunser View Post
Unfortunately Verre had to go through the CPC and wasn't 'as of right'.
I'll never understand Burden's argument: she said, the top didn't look good (in comparison with the ESB lol), so it had to be chopped off. She never gave Hines the chance to redesign it...
With the real estate market in Manhattan being what it is, could the developers appeal these rulings? A long time has passed, and the world is a different place.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2013, 2:56 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumbo View Post
With the real estate market in Manhattan being what it is, could the developers appeal these rulings? A long time has passed, and the world is a different place.
Bloomberg had the power to reverse the decision, but he was too busy trying to steal his third term. And its not as if City Planning didn't know there would be taller towers - they put zoning in place to almost assure there would. It's just one of those things that will have us scratching our heads.

Our team...

Old Posted Aug 10, 2013, 3:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallKnight View Post

Yes, this is my thought too. I always think about it, but I know that it is unlikely the increase in height of this tower.

Tower Verre is epic, and because of the small mind of Amanda we'll have to see it in its shortest form. I still want to believe that it can be built to the height originally proposed, but I know it's hard.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2013, 2:45 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by reencharles View Post
Tower Verre is epic, and because of the small mind of Amanda we'll have to see it in its shortest form. I still want to believe that it can be built to the height originally proposed, but I know it's hard.
It still bothers me, but even with its cut off height its still better than any of the current proposals in Manhattan, at least as far as we have seen. I'll always wonder what could have been, but will still feel I'm in the presence of a special building whenever I'm near it. Can't say that about too many. But yeah, in terms of proposals in Manhattan closest to beginning construction, it's already in 4th place of that group.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive