HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted May 18, 2023, 10:03 PM

Federal Government Building Disposal

Wow, huge news!! Here is the list of buildings the feds are dumping. Do we have a thread for this?

https://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/the-federa...area-1.6404742

The federal government plans to dispose of these 10 buildings in the Ottawa-Gatineau area
L'Esplanade Laurier east and west towers in downtown Ottawa (Google) L'Esplanade Laurier east and west towers in downtown Ottawa (Google)
Josh Pringle

Josh Pringle
CTV News Ottawa Digital Multi-Skilled Journalist
Follow | Contact

Updated May 18, 2023 4:23 p.m. EDT
Published May 18, 2023 3:26 p.m. EDT

facebooktwitterreddit More share options

The federal government is disposing of 10 buildings in the national capital region, including L'Esplanade Laurier in downtown Ottawa, as it looks to reduce its office footprint and shifts to a hybrid work model.

Public Service and Procurement Canada says it is developing a long-term real estate portfolio plan to "optimize" its office space, lower operating costs and reducing greenhouse gas emissions.

The week, the department released a 'Disposal List' of buildings it plans to unload in the coming years, saying they could be used for affordable housing and redesigned community or commercial space.

The buildings include the L'Esplanade Laurier east and west towers in downtown Ottawa, the Brooke Claxton Building near Tunney's Pasture and the 1500 Bronson Building and Annex, the former CBC building.
RELATED STORIES

Business groups to federal government: bring employees back to the office now

The government says its shift to a hybrid work model will allow it to relocate employees in the buildings into modern accommodations.

The government says disposal of buildings encompasses the last phase of the physical life cycle of real property within its portfolio and refers to the sale or transfer of an asset. The process includes engaging Indigenous peoples and key stakeholders to discuss opportunities for the properties, and circulating the list of buildings identified for disposal.

"With hybrid work here to stay, 3 million square meters of government office space in the national capital region is being underused," Ottawa Centre MP Yasir Naqvi said on Twitter.

"This provides an excellent opportunity to convert them into affordable homes and redesign for community & commercial use."

Here is the list of buildings at the various stages of the disposal process in the national capital region

Jackson Building (122 Bank Street)
Rideau Falls Lab (1 John Street)
Sir Charles Tupper Building (2720 Riverside Drive)
Graham Spry Building (250 Lanark)
L'Esplanade Laurier – East Tower (140 O’Connor)
L'Esplanade Laurier – West Tower (300 Laurier)
L'Esplanade Laurier – Commercial (171-181 Bank)
Brooke Claxton Building and Annex (70 Columbine)
Asticou Centre (241 Cité des Jeunes)
1500 Bronson Building and Annex (1500 Bronson)

The Sir Charles Tupper Building and the Brooke Claxton Building in Ottawa and the Asticou Centre in Gatineau are recognized Federal Heritage Buildings.

In October, an assistant deputy minister for Public Services and Procurement Canada told the Ottawa Real Estate Forum that the government was speeding up plans to reduce millions of square feet of downtown office space, the Real Estate News Exchange reported.

Over 50 per cent of the federal government's office portfolio is within the national capital region.

Old Posted May 18, 2023, 10:14 PM

Brooke Claxton and Edward Drake/Annex are national treasures. I'm so curious what will become of them as I digest this news.

Old Posted May 19, 2023, 12:51 AM

Someone buy the Jackson Building and return it to its former glory! (never going to happen )

http://urbsite.blogspot.com/2015/09/...any-lives.html

Old Posted May 19, 2023, 1:45 AM

So much history at 1 John Street. Chemical weapons?? What!?
https://ottawarewind.com/2016/10/17/...-rideau-falls/

Old Posted May 19, 2023, 1:45 AM

The 1500 Bronson building, the curved one I think, is old and would require a fair amount of rehab.

Old Posted May 19, 2023, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbottawa View Post
someone buy the jackson building and return it to its former glory! (never going to happen )----and bring back Fenton's Bakery

leb

Old Posted May 19, 2023, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthVader_1961 View Post
The 1500 Bronson building, the curved one I think, is old and would require a fair amount of rehab.
Considering the entire area is slated for redevelopment and considering it's proximity to the airport, Carleton University, and immediate access to might rail, I could see it being redeveloped into a hotel.

Old Posted May 19, 2023, 1:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbOttawa View Post
Someone buy the Jackson Building and return it to its former glory! (never going to happen )

Quite a tragic story, both for the families and businesses of the era, and on an architectural level. Could have been far worse had the explosion happened during business hours; only one person lost his life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
Considering the entire area is slated for redevelopment and considering it's proximity to the airport, Carleton University, and immediate access to might rail, I could see it being redeveloped into a hotel.
That would make for an awesome hotel.

Looking at the list:

Feds have been looking at redeveloping the building ever since the Harper Government. Not surprised to see it on this list. If it is to be replaced, I'd like to see an homage to its original architecture, an maintain an arcade at the foot of the building while preserving Jean-Paul Mousseau art piece (similar to his pieces from the Montreal Metro's Peel Station).

So this is the Canadian Geographical Society? Will they be booted out?

I love this building personally. Sleek mid-century architecture, with colour! I know it has some structural issues, but I hope to see at least part of it preserved. Plenty of land around to add some density and commercial space.

Amazing opportunity for TOD, and maybe start decking over the transit trench.

Interesting they list these separately. This one was supposed to be rehabilitated in the early 2010s when James Flaherty was complete, but the Feds never got to it. Demolishing would be quite expensive and disruptive, but footprints might be a bit large for residential buildings. Should be interesting to see what becomes of them.

As Harley said, a National Treasure. An absolute gem of a building. Seems strange to have this one, the centerpiece of Tunney's, on the list. How can we sell one building surrounded by a Federal Campus?

Great spot for mixed income housing in Gatineau, near many of their post-secondary institutions. Some land should be given to the NCC in order to expand Gatineau Park.

Strange this one is a recognized Federal Heritage Building.

Another fantastic building that I hope is preserved. Plenty of space to add further towers in the parking lot.

Strange this one is NOT a recognized Federal Heritage Building.

Old Posted May 19, 2023, 1:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post

So this is the Canadian Geographical Society? Will they be booted out?

The published address of the CGS building is 50 Sussex. 1 John is the published address of the Tavern on the Falls. Not sure if the whole complex is 1 John in a legal sense.

"Rideau Falls Lab" appears to be an old NRC facility.

https://nrc-digital-repository.canad...4-db8dc3567e90

I suspect it is the building on the river that both the CGS and Tavern are built on top of.

https://goo.gl/maps/VevhcEq4aBBoPxeH8

Old Posted May 19, 2023, 1:34 PM

I'm honestly very surprised about Brook Claxton. It is a nice building. Odd they'd want to shed that one.

Old Posted May 19, 2023, 1:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa View Post
The published address of the CGS building is 50 Sussex. 1 John is the published address of the Tavern on the Falls. Not sure if the whole complex is 1 John in a legal sense.

"Rideau Falls Lab" appears to be an old NRC facility.

https://nrc-digital-repository.canad...4-db8dc3567e90

I suspect it is the building on the river that both the CGS and Tavern are built on top of.

https://goo.gl/maps/VevhcEq4aBBoPxeH8
Thanks for the clarification.

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalmuffins View Post
I'm honestly very surprised about Brook Claxton. It is a nice building. Odd they'd want to shed that one.
Yeah, that a strange one. Especially due to its location in the middle of Tunney's. How about shedding some of the parking on Parkdale? That would not mess with the master plan much.

Old Posted May 19, 2023, 3:10 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the clarification.

Yeah, that a strange one. Especially due to its location in the middle of Tunney's. How about shedding some of the parking on Parkdale? That would not mess with the master plan much.
I don't think the Disposing of the building means its getting demolished. I think it means the Fed wants to sell the building.

Old Posted May 19, 2023, 3:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SL123 View Post
I don't think the Disposing of the building means its getting demolished. I think it means the Fed wants to sell the building.
That wasn't my interpretation. I understand they want to sell the building. It just seems odd to sell one building in the middle of a Federal Office Campus surrounded by grass and parking that is (oh, so slowly) going through a master planning process.

Old Posted May 19, 2023, 3:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SL123 View Post
Public works has been spending huge amounts of money restoring 20th century office buildings. I can't imagine the private sector would have the budget for that.

Pearson building renovation cost is $700M, for example.

https://www.tpsgc-pwgsc.gc.ca/biens-...arson-eng.html

Old Posted May 19, 2023, 3:23 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthVader_1961 View Post
That's the old CBC HQ? I've always really liked that building.

Old Posted May 19, 2023, 3:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa View Post
Public works has been spending huge amounts of money restoring 20th century office buildings. I can't imagine the private sector would have the budget for that.

Pearson building renovation cost is $700M, for example.

https://www.tpsgc-pwgsc.gc.ca/biens-...arson-eng.html
How much of that is security upgrades and general Government inefficiencies?

Old Posted May 19, 2023, 3:29 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Wow, huge news!! Here is the list of buildings the feds are dumping. Do we have a thread for this?

https://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/the-federa...area-1.6404742

The federal government plans to dispose of these 10 buildings in the Ottawa-Gatineau area
L'Esplanade Laurier east and west towers in downtown Ottawa (Google) L'Esplanade Laurier east and west towers in downtown Ottawa (Google)
Josh Pringle

Josh Pringle
CTV News Ottawa Digital Multi-Skilled Journalist
Follow | Contact

Updated May 18, 2023 4:23 p.m. EDT
Published May 18, 2023 3:26 p.m. EDT

facebooktwitterreddit More share options

The federal government is disposing of 10 buildings in the national capital region, including L'Esplanade Laurier in downtown Ottawa, as it looks to reduce its office footprint and shifts to a hybrid work model.

Public Service and Procurement Canada says it is developing a long-term real estate portfolio plan to "optimize" its office space, lower operating costs and reducing greenhouse gas emissions.

The week, the department released a 'Disposal List' of buildings it plans to unload in the coming years, saying they could be used for affordable housing and redesigned community or commercial space.

The buildings include the L'Esplanade Laurier east and west towers in downtown Ottawa, the Brooke Claxton Building near Tunney's Pasture and the 1500 Bronson Building and Annex, the former CBC building.
RELATED STORIES

Business groups to federal government: bring employees back to the office now

The government says its shift to a hybrid work model will allow it to relocate employees in the buildings into modern accommodations.

The government says disposal of buildings encompasses the last phase of the physical life cycle of real property within its portfolio and refers to the sale or transfer of an asset. The process includes engaging Indigenous peoples and key stakeholders to discuss opportunities for the properties, and circulating the list of buildings identified for disposal.

"With hybrid work here to stay, 3 million square meters of government office space in the national capital region is being underused," Ottawa Centre MP Yasir Naqvi said on Twitter.

"This provides an excellent opportunity to convert them into affordable homes and redesign for community & commercial use."

Here is the list of buildings at the various stages of the disposal process in the national capital region

The Sir Charles Tupper Building and the Brooke Claxton Building in Ottawa and the Asticou Centre in Gatineau are recognized Federal Heritage Buildings.

In October, an assistant deputy minister for Public Services and Procurement Canada told the Ottawa Real Estate Forum that the government was speeding up plans to reduce millions of square feet of downtown office space, the Real Estate News Exchange reported.

Over 50 per cent of the federal government's office portfolio is within the national capital region.
What about the Louis-St-Laurent Building on Boulevard de la Carrière?

Old Posted May 19, 2023, 3:30 PM

Quote:
Exactly. Total interior gut job conversions to residential would cost a fraction of what it costs to rehab and respec a building for government use.

Old Posted May 19, 2023, 3:31 PM

Quote:
Probably a good chunk. But a private sector client would also expect a higher level of finish as well. Government renovations are very cheaply done.

Old Posted May 19, 2023, 3:34 PM

Quote:
Exactly. Total interior gut job conversions to residential would cost a fraction of what it costs to rehab and respec a building for government use.
A residential conversion would involve a lot of plumbing, electrical, walls, HVAC, operable windows, balconies, that a government building would not, plus a much higher expectation for finishes.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa