HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Aug 10, 2023, 8:58 PM

Swifties, who swamped public transit in other cities and were expected to do the same in LA apparently avoided it completely. Metro is predicting only 4500 Swifties rode it when they planned for a lot more. That comes out to 6% of Sofi attendees. LA had been preparing for it, so this is a massive disappointment. But its also a wakeup call . LA a LOT of work to do in terms of its image. https://www.latimes.com/california/n...ial-california

Old Posted Aug 10, 2023, 9:28 PM

^ The fact that you need to take a train to downtown Inglewood, and then take a 30 minute bus ride where you are stuck in traffic with everyone else... is unfortunate. Shows why a streetcar to the Forum/SoFi/Intuit Dome is really needed. The 6% utilization was for Thursday only... hopefully it picked up Friday thru Sunday.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2023, 10:01 PM
你的媽媽

The poor transit connections for SoFi Stadium are pretty obvious so it’s not surprising ridership for events is low relative to other venues located at or near mass transit stops.

While public transit investment would help with event days/nights the projected weekday or non event ridership is extremely low like 400 or something a day. It almost feels not worth it to build a line here unless they redevelop the entire Prairie Ave corridor. NFL game day ridership is anticipated to be around 11,450 people or about 16% of stadium capacity. Assuming similar usage for Clippers games, it’d be about 2,880 people riding per game.

Last edited by homebucket; Aug 10, 2023 at 10:15 PM.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2023, 2:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAsam View Post
^ The fact that you need to take a train to downtown Inglewood, and then take a 30 minute bus ride where you are stuck in traffic with everyone else... is unfortunate. Shows why a streetcar to the Forum/SoFi/Intuit Dome is really needed. The 6% utilization was for Thursday only... hopefully it picked up Friday thru Sunday.
It wasn’t supposed to be a 30 minute bus ride. Shuttles were supposed to get a dedicated lane, but that was ignored by drivers. They need people directing traffic or cops to scare them out of that lane.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2023, 3:45 AM

From Los Angeles Downtown News:

Angelenos Could Go Aerial: LA ART project reaches new milestone on Dodger Stadium Gondola

By Luke Netzley, LA Downtown News Deputy Editor Jul 31, 2023
Updated Aug 7, 2023

Proposed in 2018, the Dodger Stadium Gondola project would create a permanent, zero-emission transit connection between Union Station and Dodger Stadium.
LA ART/Submitted

The Los Angeles Aerial Rapid Transit’s (LA ART) proposal for the Dodger Stadium Gondola project has reached a new milestone following the release of a Draft Environmental Impact Report by the Los Angeles County Metropolitan Transportation Authority.

The report, which evaluated the environmental benefits and impacts of an aerial gondola connection between Union Station and Dodger Stadium, found that the proposed project would reduce congestion and reduce emissions by over 150,000 metric tons of greenhouse gasses over its lifetime.

“Since Dodger Stadium opened, there’s not been permanent transit. This project is really all about creating that permanent transit link, but most importantly tying into the region’s transit hub at Union Station,” said David Grannis, executive director of Zero Emissions Transit, the nonprofit leading the project.

The Dodger Stadium Gondola was announced in 2018 as a zero-emission transit option that would take 3,000 cars off the roads on game days, according to LA ART. The gondola would be free to ride for anyone attending a game at Dodger Stadium and cost the same price as a Metro fare for anyone who lives or works in the area. It would operate year-round and take riders seven minutes to travel from Union Station to Dodger Stadium.

Grannis explained that gondola systems have proliferated globally, providing a green alternative to automotive travel that LA could learn from. He noted successful examples in places like London and Mexico City. The gondola network is proposed to run above roads and transit lines, inspired by the cable car lines of La Paz, Bolivia, which were built above the city streets and have reportedly carried 100 million riders since their construction.

“They’re climate resilient and friendly; they’re quiet; they’re inexpensive to operate, and they’re much less expensive to build,” he said. “When you have topography, rivers (and) mountainous terrain, it’s a perfect solution. … We can carry 10,000 people to every game. If you look at the average game, we’re carrying 20% of the attendance, which makes a huge difference in the traffic around and in the neighborhoods.”

The system, which cycles a cabin through each station every 23 seconds, would consist of three cables, two used to support the weight of the gondolas and one to pull them along. Each cabin could hold 35 to 40 people and would have a reconfigurable layout to accommodate wheelchair access.

The project would also create three new stations in Downtown: Dodger Stadium Station; Chinatown/State Park Station at the southwest corner of the LA State Historic Park; and Alameda Station, which would stand adjacent to Union Station on Alameda Street. The system would serve the communities of El Pueblo, Chinatown, Mission Junction, Solano Canyon and William Meade Homes, while providing access to green spaces like Elysian Park.

“Elysian Park is the oldest park in LA, and it’s the second largest,” Grannis said. “There’re so many things to explore here. … The LA River Bikeway that Metro is doing has two exit points that come into this area. These are very bike friendly, so you could actually ride your bike on the LA River Bikeway, come down Spring Street, get on the Chinatown/State Park Station and be here in Elysian Park to ride your bike.”

While some residents and business owners in neighborhoods like Chinatown have applauded the project for encouraging visitors to return and engage with businesses impacted by the pandemic, others have criticized the proposal and argued that it would shift traffic congestion from Dodger Stadium into the communities surrounding the gondola stations.

“Attendees will still need to reach Union Station to take the gondola, creating another traffic issue in that area and can also lead to an increase in traffic in the Boyle Heights area,” The Wall Las Memorias Executive Director Richard Zaldivar said in a statement in 2022. “It not only will create havoc on the streets, but it is also an invasion of our community space, affecting one of the few green areas that the residents have to enjoy by going over the Los Angeles State Historic Park. We believe we can find a better solution to this problem and that we should work with the community to find one that works for all.”

To include community voices in the development of the gondola proposal, the project team spoke with local households, businesses, community organizations and environmental advocacy groups. This process caused the team to change the initial location plan for the Chinatown/State Park Station.

Grannis explained that during the notice of preparation process in October 2020, ahead of their Environmental Impact Report (EIR) submission, the Chinatown community raised its voice.

“They said, ‘We really don’t think this station is appropriate for Chinatown because … we want something much closer to Chinatown’s core,’” Grannis recalled. “We took that to heart, and by the time we did our Draft EIR a year and a half later, we had moved this station and did a junction here so that it was directly serving Chinatown.

“We’re also doing a bridge connecting to North Broadway (from the LA State Historic Park.) The park is 30 feet lower than Broadway, and the A Line runs through here, so there’s no way that this community can access the State Historic Park. We are actually clearing a pedestrian bridge here, which … the whole community can use to access the park.”

To date, nearly 6,000 people and over 340 businesses in Chinatown, El Pueblo and Lincoln Heights have signed up to support the project.

“There is no question this project will benefit the local community,” said Martin Farfan, president of Cathedral High School, located along the proposed gondola route. “The LA ART project could make it easier for Cathedral High School students to access public transit and improve traffic around the school and community on game days.”

The aerial gondola would provide the first permanent transit connection to Dodger Stadium since its construction 60 years ago, and would be the first tricable gondola lift built for public transit in the United States, Grannis said.

“Now, more than ever, we need thoughtful solutions that take cars off the road and lead to a more connected Los Angeles,” said Jonathan Parfrey, executive director of Climate Resolve. “The aerial gondola project will be the first of many more emission-free innovations that will help reduce air pollution and improve quality of life for all Angelenos.”

Grannis added, “I want this to be a catalyst for LA to get to zero emission in the transportation sector.”

The Draft EIR will have a 60-day public review period during which the public can provide comments. Grannis said he hopes the EIR will be certified by the fall. After certification, he estimated that the construction and testing phase would be completed by the first quarter of 2028.

At Dodger Stadium, a full-sized gondola cabin exhibit will remain on display for the rest of the season, allowing visitors to experience what it would be like to ride inside it and to learn more about the project.

Link: http://www.ladowntownnews.com/news/a...ae8d6ba24.html

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Aug 11, 2023, 4:10 AM
你的媽媽

^ Good project. Hopefully it goes through. Baseball is a good sport for public transit too since you play 81+ home games a year and the stadiums usually have very high capacity (56,000). The Dodgers lead the league in attendance annually, getting close to 50,000 a game, so it's something that will see significant ridership, so definitely worth the investment. Do you know who is funding the project and if the Dodgers studied where their fans typically arrive from and by what mode of transit?

I wonder if the Dodgers will also look into eliminating some of the parking lots and building housing up there so the gondola can get more usage during non game days.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2023, 5:22 AM

So looks like the new red line CRRC set WILL have open gangways. Should be entering service in the next 6-8 months

https://www.railjournal.com/fleet/lo...t-metro-train/

Old Posted Aug 20, 2023, 2:14 AM

LA Metro’s new subway trains will include New York-style bench seating

Noah Goldberg
Los Angeles Times
August 18, 2023

LA Metro’s new subway cars will allow riders to walk between cars and will feature bench seating similar to trains in New York, according to the agency.

The new fleet of 64 trains, which will be deployed over the next six to eight months on the B (Red) and D (Purple) Lines, have 41 seats in each car and can fit nearly 250 people in each car, Metro said.

The new trains have seating along the sides of the cars, allowing standing passengers room to move about the car as well as more space to fit an increased number of riders. The trains also have separate seating for disabled riders.

The stainless steel trains, painted in a fresh coat of yellow, will run four to six cars long.

Transit watchers said the Olympics in 2028 could have factored into Metro changing the seating of the trains to allow for more standing riders.

New HR4000 Subway Cars. (LA Metro)

“We’re all of a sudden going to get crush loads of people on Metro in five years. You might as well design your fleet to take more people,” said Bart Reed, the executive director of The Transit Coalition.

The trains were ordered up by Metro in 2016 and were supposed to be delivered by September 2021, but were delayed.

They were manufactured by China Railway Rolling Stock Corp. The company, which is the largest maker of passenger trains in the world, came under scrutiny when the Pentagon revealed that it was backed by the Chinese military.

Los Angeles is not the only major American city to contract with CRRC. Boston also procured trains from the company for its metro system.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2023, 3:12 AM
Resu Deretsiger

Seems like BART's seat layout makes the trains have more seats? Having it more wide open seems like it would provide more capacity or comfortableness for those standing.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2023, 8:11 AM

Not sure that I agree with the decision to have the seats run against the wall.

Don't know the passenger situation, though.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2023, 11:39 PM

I like the new train seating, it's much easier and more comfortable IMO. You never have to asked someone to let you in and squeeze past them and vice versa and no more butts in your face to get to a window seat. You don't have to feel like you're trapped either by a larger frame person either, or if you're standing there is more room. I think the biggest complaint from this type of seating can be like my younger sister when we went to NYC and on the subway, she kept complaining about men on the trains facing her and at eye level she could see the outline of their package. (lol)

Old Posted Aug 21, 2023, 12:19 AM
Paramoderator

Wait, these are open gangway now? That's awesome.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2023, 12:37 AM

These new trains look great. Love it and the open gangways

Old Posted Aug 21, 2023, 6:46 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBruin View Post
Not sure that I agree with the decision to have the seats run against the wall.

Don't know the passenger situation, though.
A lot of people would prefer to stand than sit next to someone else they don't know.

What I'm most concerned about with respect to the bench seating is a homeless bum using it as a bed.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Aug 21, 2023, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quixote View Post
A lot of people would prefer to stand than sit next to someone else they don't know.

What I'm most concerned about with respect to the bench seating is a homeless bum using it as a bed.
They should put arm rest between them like the trains in London, but at the same time we probably have more overweight citizens so that can be a problem.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2023, 10:27 PM
你的媽媽

Most Metro systems I've ridden worldwide (mostly Asia) have utilized a longitudinal seat layout to optimize space for walking and standing, as well as higher capacity. I don't think I've ever seen armrests used for that type of layout though.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2023, 11:11 PM
你的媽媽

Actually on second glance it looks like it won't be full longitudinal seating. Looks like about halfway in the car there will be a set of transverse mounted seats designated as priority seating for seniors and persons with disabilities, as well as further back towards the back of the car for anyone. Seems to match the previous renderings.

https://www.reddit.com/r/LosAngelesP...nd_the_scenes/

Old Posted Aug 22, 2023, 9:12 PM

Lately while taking the train, I'm actually more apt to stand, especially if you're only getting off a few stops away. Sometimes you look at the seat and think 'Ew... I think I'll stand.'

The new subway trains:

Video Link

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Aug 22, 2023, 9:15 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
Lately while taking the train, I'm actually more apt to stand, especially if you're only getting off a few stops away. Sometimes you look at the seat and think 'Ew... I think I'll stand.'
Same, I usually stand as well. Helps me work on my balance too. I'll only sit if I know I'll be going on a longer ride.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2023, 9:54 PM
Show me the blueprints

Nice video.

Is it just me or does the wheel look bigger than a typical rapid transit car? Without delving into the specs I'm assuming they are the same as the Breda cars?

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation