HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation

Old Posted Dec 7, 2016, 9:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
I noticed in that rendering that they're keeping the right turn channels, which is one of the most pedestrian-hostile things about suburban arterials.
I have thought they should put crossovers on the right turn channels to make it a requirement for motorists to stop for pedestrians. Currently there is no requirement to stop (even if some do).

Old Posted Dec 16, 2016, 2:21 PM

Hey, I'm not very good at formatting this stuff, but here is a link to a story on the Bank Street South renewal.

http://www.ottawacommunitynews.com/n...ners-hope-not/

Old Posted Dec 16, 2016, 2:47 PM

Having only recently moved back to Ottawa, I may be posting in the wrong place, but I'm wondering what people think of Beechwood with its new bicycle lanes? I am pro-bicycle lanes but what has been done on Beechwood seems dangerous to me. The lanes "zig-zag" between the curb and the outside of parking areas and the traffic lanes move back and forth accordingly. None of the lane markings are very visible at night when the pavement is wet. I keep waiting to see either a bicycle being side-swiped, or two vehicles in a head on collision. Does this resemble what has been done on other "complete streets"? Or perhaps Beechwood as now configured is not considered a "complete street"?

Old Posted Dec 16, 2016, 3:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Having only recently moved back to Ottawa, I may be posting in the wrong place, but I'm wondering what people think of Beechwood with its new bicycle lanes? I am pro-bicycle lanes but what has been done on Beechwood seems dangerous to me. The lanes "zig-zag" between the curb and the outside of parking areas and the traffic lanes move back and forth accordingly. None of the lane markings are very visible at night when the pavement is wet. I keep waiting to see either a bicycle being side-swiped, or two vehicles in a head on collision. Does this resemble what has been done on other "complete streets"? Or perhaps Beechwood as now configured is not considered a "complete street"?
That's the "best" they could do without disturbing sacred parking spots along beechwood.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2016, 3:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Dreadful, and not very successful. There are cars parked in the shared lane more often than not, there's been little or no uptake in cycling on the street, and it has completely frigged with transit service. It has also resulted in confused and even dangerously distracted drivers as they try to figure out what the various lane markings and changes are supposed to mean, which has resulted in a reduction in road safety for everyone, especially those pedestrians and cyclists who are competing for space with those same drivers.

It is pretty well a textbook case of how not to do multi-modal streets. Naturally, the city councillors who dreamed up the idea think they are geniuses, and tell themselves so in their newsletters.

And yes, Beechwood is now actually less "complete" than it was before. Space has been taken from transit and given over to disused bike lanes, well-used parking spaces, and whatever the hell that "parklet" thing is supposed to be.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2016, 3:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzptichka View Post
That's the "best" they could do without disturbing sacred parking spots along beechwood.
I imagined as much. I suppose there's some comfort in knowing that once Beechwood is choked with traffic, the slow movement will at least lessen the harm from collisions.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2016, 5:57 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multi-modal View Post
Hey, I'm not very good at formatting this stuff, but here is a link to a story on the Bank Street South renewal.

Will remodelled Bank Street south mirror the Glebe? Business owners hope not
City unveils proposed redesign plan for five-year overhaul

By Erin McCracken, Ottawa South News
Dec 09, 2016

Business owners worry the proposed redesign of Bank Street between Riverside Drive and Ledbury Avenue is an attempt to import the Glebe’s model of bistros, boutiques and cafes farther south, where there are car dealerships, mechanic garages, plazas and large grocery stores.

“Fundamentally, what they’re doing is they’re trying to change the nature of businesses (along) Bank Street south, something that’s more Glebe-ish,” said Nikki Dignard, whose husband owns a family dentistry practice on Bank, between Heron Road and Alta Vista Drive.

“How many Glebes do you need? How many Westboros do you need? There still has to be the bread and butter to service the 70 per cent of the population,” Dignard said during a public consultation meeting at the Jim Durrell Recreation Centre on Dec. 6.

The presentation offered a first look at the scope of the multi-stage reconstruction project, which is expected to begin in the latter half of 2018 and take an estimated five years to complete.

As an arterial main street, Bank carries a lot of traffic, though in the future a slight reduction is expected when the Trillium O-Train light-rail transit line is expanded south, said Patrick Hill, project manager with consulting firm MMM Group.

“But we also wanted to have that Main Street feel of businesses and an active place for people and cyclists,” he said, referring to the transformation of Main Street in Old Ottawa South into the city’s first complete street.

It now features cycle tracks – segregated bike lanes at curb height – which are coming to Bank Street in Billings Bridge, Alta Vista, Heron Park, Ridgemont and Ledbury-Banff.

Bank is recognized as a crosstown bikeway, but business owners doubt cycling lanes will bring in more clients given the nature of the “destination businesses” there, said Dignard.

“This whole idea about riding a bike – it’s supposed to be a pleasurable experience,” said her husband, Ted Henike. “Coming to a dentist while riding your bike? It doesn’t equate.”

Still, the proposed plan, which was identified as one of 13 capital construction projects in the 2012 Bank Street community design plan, was applauded by some of the 50 people at the meeting, particularly for the cycle tracks.

“They need to do something,” said Alta Vista resident Suzanne Lafrance, who used to cycle along Bank Street to Riverside Drive but found it dangerous.

Business owners are also bracing for years of construction.

“We need development. It’s going to take place, but what can they do to mitigate (it)? Can they do more work at night time like they do in other cities?” said Robert Laquerre, owner of the Alta Vista Chiropractic and Massage Clinic on Bank, between Heron Road and Alta Vista Drive.

“There will be disruption. There’s no doubt about it,” Hill said, noting the sewers underneath Bank will also be replaced.

He said he could see a need to keep one lane on each side of the four-lane street open at all times during construction. The construction schedule has not been finalized.

FINANCIAL COMPENSATION?

Fears over loss of business during construction prompted Dignard to ask if the city would compensate those that suffer financially as a result.

Provincial legislation prevents this, said Capital Coun. David Chernushenko, though the city can defer tax payments for a period of time.

“To put it bluntly, if we did (compensate), it would be citywide on every project and your taxes would have to go up to make up the difference,” said Chernushenko, whose ward includes Billings Bridge and Heron Park, as well as Bank Street in the Glebe and Main Street in Old Ottawa South. Both roads have undergone lengthy overhauls.

“The concern of business failure is actually higher than what plays out,” he said. “As far as I can tell no businesses failed despite two years of Bank Street reconstruction.”

But he acknowledged construction “looks like hell.”

“It’s dusty and it’s noisy and it does deter some people from coming.”

However, he said signs can be installed to make sure customers know businesses are still open, newsletters can go out to clientele and the city can ensure access is maintained.

He warned that if businesses “hammer” the doom-and-gloom news about the impact of construction, customers will stay away. Glebe shop owners said they were doing OK and that helped them weather the storm.

The Bank Street preliminary functional design is expected to finish up with transportation planning staff and go to infrastructure services in February 2017. Depending on the city budget approval process, construction on Bank between Riverside and Heron would begin first in 2018, with Bank, from Heron Road to Ledbury Avenue, to follow in 2020.

“The duration of the work would be multi-year for each segment and details would ensue once the final design commences in 2017,” said Ann Selfe, a senior transportation engineer with the city.

The cost of the project has not been determined, but Selfe said it will be in the millions.

The deadline to email comments about the project to ann.selfe@ottawa.ca is Dec. 23. However, city staff have said input can be sent in past this date. For more details about the project, go to ottawa.ca/en/city-hall/public-consultations/transportation/bank-street-renewal-between-riverside-drive-north-and.

OTHER PROPOSED BANK STREET CHANGES:
  • dedicated crossride, or crosswalk for cyclists, at Bank and Riverside
  • improvements to ramps onto Riverside near Bank
  • new turning configurations near the Billings Bridge Shopping Centre
  • new traffic signals at Blue Heron Mall and at the intersection of Bank and Notting Hill Avenue
  • intersection modifications at Bank and Heron Road, Bank and Alta Vista Drive and Bank and Walkley Road
  • the removal of bus pull-outs at transit stops
  • widened sidewalks
  • replacement of certain two-way left turn lanes with depressed medians
  • installation of new transit priority lanes along some sections

Erin McCracken is a reporter/photographer with Metroland Media’s Ottawa South News. She can be reached at erin.mccracken@metroland.com.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2016, 1:19 AM

Quote:
“This whole idea about riding a bike – it’s supposed to be a pleasurable experience,” said her husband, Ted Henike. “Coming to a dentist while riding your bike? It doesn’t equate.”
This comment from the Bank St article really made me wonder what this person was thinking. For most people chances are the majority of their dental appointments are just a simple checkup and cleaning. This isn't going to cause problems for them if they bike to and from the dentists office.

Personally I bike to the dentist quite often between May and October. It's actually faster for me than taking the bus. I've biked home after getting several fillings done as well with no problem. I really don't see why this would be an issue unless you are getting something major done, like getting a tooth pulled or a root canal, and in that case if it hurts enough to distract you while driving a bike or a car it might be better to get a ride or call a cab.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2016, 4:49 AM

^ A lot of these types of people fail to understand that cyclists use their bikes as a mode of transportation, not just as a recreational tool.

Business also have a strong tendency to over exaggerate how much of their customer base are auto drivers. Businesses in the Glebe complain like mad when the city proposes something that could have even the slightest effect on parking convenience, even though statistically, few of the shoppers in the Glebe get there by car.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2016, 5:26 AM

They quoted my dentist. I used to go there by transit but OC Transpo made it too inconvenient. Biking? Ha, no way. I have never seen a bike parked at his office.

The funny thing about the plan ....... The Trillium Line will slightly reduce traffic on Bank Street. Why? If they ever open a Walkley Station, we add one reasonable access point on the whole distance between Billings and Ledbury. As we improve biking on the corridor, we will likely make the current Route 1 bus slower. They overestimate the impact of the p*ss poor Trillium Line extension plan on this stretch of Bank Street. Bank Street goes downtown, the Trillium Line deflects to the west, not serving the same transportation market at all.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2016, 5:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
They quoted my dentist. Biking? Ha, no way. I have never seen a bike parked at his office.
Are you seriously trying to argue we shouldn't be building cycling infrastructure because no one bikes currently?

By the exact same logic: Let's not build the Clegg-Fifth bridge, because no one swims across the canal there.

Quote:
As we improve biking on the corridor, we will likely make the current Route 1 bus slower. They overestimate the impact of the p*ss poor Trillium Line extension plan on this stretch of Bank Street. Bank Street goes downtown, the Trillium Line deflects to the west, not serving the same transportation market at all.
Probably not. The street is big enough that cycling infrastructure won't interfere with transit.. plus, the design includes transit priority measures. If anything it will probably speed up the bus.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2016, 6:10 PM

Quote:
They quoted my dentist. I used to go there by transit but OC Transpo made it too inconvenient. Biking? Ha, no way. I have never seen a bike parked at his office.
Maybe that's because biking on Bank south of Billings Bridge is a suicide mission? Kinda what we are trying to fix here.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2016, 6:40 PM

Similar to Merivale Rd, south Bank street is currently such a traffic mess it discourages people from going there, regardless of their mode of transportation. Even when they do go there, they try to get out of there as quickly as possible.

I suspect that dentist doesn't understand his patients very well. Most people choose their dentist based on the relationship they have with him/her and not location. Frequently people will continue to see the same dentist even after moving to the other end of the city. Why? Because of the relationship they have with him or her. Its not like they are going to say, "I was willing to drive half an hour to see you, but now that it takes 35 minutes I will find a new dentist." Personally I live in Stittsville, but my dentist is in Westboro. There are plenty of dentists in Stittsville that would be much more convenient and i am sure many are very good, but I have seen mine for over 20 years and that counts for something.

What I am trying to say is fix the roads that are broken. Make them better for buses, cyclists and pedestrians and watch the community thrive.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2016, 11:18 PM

Quote:
^ A lot of these types of people fail to understand that cyclists use their bikes as a mode of transportation, not just as a recreational tool.

Business also have a strong tendency to over exaggerate how much of their customer base are auto drivers. Businesses in the Glebe complain like mad when the city proposes something that could have even the slightest effect on parking convenience, even though statistically, few of the shoppers in the Glebe get there by car.
Same with Wellington. Many people visiting businesses don't drive there, and if we had some improvements we could incentivize biking. Instead, there's a good chance we might not get paid parking because the businesses and people consulted don't want to pay...

As for my dentist, I used to go to one in Westboro, but I go to another one by Tunney's. I can walk there, but when the weather is nice I usually bike despite there being poor biking parking provided (the racks used are not ideal for locking the bikes).

Old Posted Dec 17, 2016, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger1818 View Post
I suspect that dentist doesn't understand his patients very well. Most people choose their dentist based on the relationship they have with him/her and not location. Frequently people will continue to see the same dentist even after moving to the other end of the city. Why? Because of the relationship they have with him or her. Its not like they are going to say, "I was willing to drive half an hour to see you, but now that it takes 35 minutes I will find a new dentist." Personally I live in Stittsville, but my dentist is in Westboro. There are plenty of dentists in Stittsville that would be much more convenient and i am sure many are very good, but I have seen mine for over 20 years and that counts for something.

What I am trying to say is fix the roads that are broken. Make them better for buses, cyclists and pedestrians and watch the community thrive.

When I was living in Ottawa, I continued using my Kingston dentist, and never intended to switch. After a while, though, I might have.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2016, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Are you seriously trying to argue we shouldn't be building cycling infrastructure because no one bikes currently?
By the exact same logic: Let's not build the Clegg-Fifth bridge, because no one swims across the canal there.

Probably not. The street is big enough that cycling infrastructure won't interfere with transit.. plus, the design includes transit priority measures. If anything it will probably speed up the bus.
Now, did I say that? No. I just pointed out reality. I also pointed out how transit has deteriorated in the area over the years.

I am not sure where the space will come from for bike lanes without shrinking the vehicle lanes. If you shrink the vehicle lanes, how does that speed up transit service? What does transit priority measures really mean? Where has that actually been implemented in this city?

Old Posted Dec 18, 2016, 12:55 AM

Quote:
I am not sure where the space will come from for bike lanes without shrinking the vehicle lanes.
Lots of wasted space in the form of overly wide traffic lanes (no longer necessary thanks to improvements in cars), plus there's space that can claimed from city-owned buffer zones next to roads which tend to fairly sizeable on suburban arterials. Taking a quick look at Google Street view, maintaining 4 traffic lanes while adding bikeways should be a cinch there. And if there's one thing I've learned from watching this stuff, it's that they can always fit more into road ROWs than it looks like they can.

Quote:
What does transit priority measures really mean? Where has that actually been implemented in this city?
"Transit priority measures" can mean a bunch of stuff. Examples include bus lanes, "queue jump" lanes that allow buses to bypass waits at traffic lines and go up to the front (current examples include Baseline & Clyde and the 417 offramps on the eastern Transitway diversion), transit signal priority, and removal of bus bays that slow down re-entry into traffic. I suspect Bank Street south will be mostly queue jump lanes & bus bay removals.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2016, 6:09 AM

Quote:
When I was living in Ottawa, I continued using my Kingston dentist, and never intended to switch. After a while, though, I might have.
Long bike ride!

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 10:20 PM
National Capital Region

Applying the Complete Street Lens to Projects in 2016 and 2017

http://app05.ottawa.ca/sirepub/agdoc...&itemid=360366

Old Posted May 7, 2017, 5:00 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Another big road project would decrease parking in Vanier, add cycle track

Jon Willing, Ottawa Citizen
Published on: May 4, 2017 | Last Updated: May 4, 2017 6:10 PM EDT

Another major road project planned on a central commercial strip would reduce the number of vehicle lanes, install cycling infrastructure and remove some on-street parking spots.

The Quartier Vanier BIA is worried about potentially losing 25 on-street parking spaces in the area after Montreal Road is torn up and put back together with a new design.

“For our small mom-and-pop shops, that’s a big deal,” executive director Jamie Kwong said.

“Parking is always an issue. It’s about uprooting their current client base and how they access their business. This might be the straw on the small businesses’ back that breaks them.”

The city, which is keen on giving more of its right-of-way to non-motorized transportation, like cycling and walking, has been looking at eliminating a vehicular lane for most of the two-kilometre length of Montreal Road between Rideau Street and St. Laurent Boulevard.

There are two vehicular lanes now, with the curb lanes dedicated to buses during the peak times. The curb lanes are available for parking in the other hours.

The recommended design would keep two lanes in each direction between North River Road and the Vanier Parkway without dedicated cycling lanes.

East of the parkway, there would be two westbound lanes for vehicles, including one used for buses and parking, and one eastbound lane for all vehicles. The westbound side of the road would have a cycle track built to the same height as the sidewalk, while the eastbound side would have a cycle lane painted on the road. The sidewalks would also be widened.

The city’s urban design review panel of external architects lauded the preliminary design during a review at city hall on Thursday.

Angela Taylor, the senior project engineer who presented the design to the panel, explained the challenge of cramming all the transportation modes into a very narrow municipal right-of-way.

Taylor said Montreal Road is a “constrained” corridor but there’s a big interest in improving the biking conditions since it’s a popular route for cyclists.

“It was a good balance of all competing priorities,” Taylor said of the proposed design.

Taylor told the panel that rate of parking use is less than 50 per cent, so the city can accommodate a reduction in the current 85 on-street spaces on Montreal Road.

But the BIA is concerned about the larger parking picture for Vanier’s commercial districts.

According to Kwong, Beechwood Avenue lost 35 parking spots in a redesign and McArthur Avenue is poised to lose dozens of spots to accommodate bike lanes.

Kwong said when it comes to Montreal Road, merchants want the corridor to be more than just a commuter route into the core. Businesses want motorists to park and shop, she said.

At the same, Kwong said businesses understand the city’s interest in making roads friendlier for all modes of transportation.

The city’s transportation committee this week approved a redesign of Elgin Street after the sewers and water pipes are replaced. That work begins in 2019.

Montreal Road is in a similar position to Elgin Street. Underground infrastructure needs to be replaced and it’s a good time to reconsider the road design.

Construction on Montreal Road is scheduled to happen over two years beginning in 2018. The city will soon hire a consultant for the final design.

jwilling@postmedia.com
twitter.com/JonathanWilling

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-...dd-cycle-track

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation