HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Apr 3, 2008, 7:41 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

ugly

Last edited by zilfondel; Apr 4, 2008 at 5:40 PM.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2008, 1:41 PM

^ is that a renovation? or did they replace the building that was there?

Old Posted Apr 3, 2008, 3:00 PM

Who is the architect responsible for this little ugly duckling?

Old Posted Apr 3, 2008, 3:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvpcvm View Post
^ is that a renovation? or did they replace the building that was there?
Renovation, it was a Victorian with some nice details and went well with the Belmont vibe, unfortunately it was damaged in a fire.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2008, 4:43 PM

NW 14th and Irving

Old Posted Apr 3, 2008, 6:28 PM

^Is that the empty lot in between the Edge and the Avenue? I was wondering about that spot.

^^Seriously, who designed that 39th + Belmont remodel? It actually looks worse than before with the cheap materials used in its facade.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2008, 8:04 AM

Thanks for the photos TwoRivers

Just wanted to say thanks for the great photos TwoRivers.

Disappointed that members are using so many explitives. I was pointing professionals and others to this board. I don't feel comfortable doing so now as this reflects upon myself.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2008, 3:52 PM

I have to agree with you, Castillonis....

Old Posted Apr 4, 2008, 5:27 PM

Ditto

Old Posted Apr 4, 2008, 8:24 PM

The thing at 39th and Belmont

I don't know anything about a fire in the building, though I believe there was a tenant in the retail space (a dry cleaner) before the renovation. Underneath all the new ugliness is a "streetcar era" storefront building that had great bay windows and which could have been respectfully renovated - instead, this is what we get. On a related note, the similar streetcar era building at E Burnside and 28th, diagonally across from the Laurelhurst Theater, was totally demolished to make way for the current construction which is going to look like a snaggledy pile of children's blocks. Yuck.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2008, 3:17 AM

what expletives are we talking about...i just scrolled through the page and it seems quite professional...unless you consider ugly or ugly duckling non professional criticism.

i consider myself a seasoned professional, citizen of the community and call a project ugly is a personal opinion and often the truth. i would rather see people expess their feelings and thoughts about a project than mask it in some vague architectural jargon.

i often don't agree with things expressed here although appreciate that this is a forum for such expession.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2008, 4:01 AM

never mind

It's buildings like 39th and Belmont that make people nervous about infill. I wouldn't want to live next to that!

Last edited by MarkDaMan; Apr 5, 2008 at 2:49 PM.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2008, 4:07 AM
Pacific Wonderland

39th and Belmont made me laugh. It seems as if it went this way:

Hmmm, there is a sale on slate. Cool! Lets slap that on the facade.

But, we don't have enough dollars to cover it all. Well, that's ok, we will figure something else. How about a bit of wood?

Sure, why not?

Crap, we are over budget! Damn, looks like we will have to stucco that part of the top floor.

Hey, did you notice that the metal flashing on the 39th street side isn't even straight over the slate tile?

Why no?! (Shocked Expression) I guess that is the quality picking the lowest bid contractor will give you.

You think this thing is going to look like shit in 5 years?

Yep, sure do.

Hopefully I have my own firm by then and a willing developer will want to try again....

travel, architecture & photos of the textured world at http://www.pixelmap.com

Old Posted Apr 6, 2008, 1:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouvScott View Post
NW 14th and Irving.
This should be moved to the Pearl District string, and what is especially significant about it is that it is planned to be the Pearl's first hotel with 116 rms. It's an OPUS/Sera project - the hotel operator has not been identified.

Last edited by sopdx; Apr 6, 2008 at 2:05 AM.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2008, 2:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preservationist View Post
On a related note, the similar streetcar era building at E Burnside and 28th, diagonally across from the Laurelhurst Theater, was totally demolished to make way for the current construction which is going to look like a snaggledy pile of children's blocks. Yuck.
I disagree. Sure the original building could have been redone but who knows what it was like inside. The exterior was not in good shape. The new building designed by Holst is attractive and will provide infill housing and active street level space.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2008, 7:18 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

As a neighbor of the 28th and Burnside building, I am looking forward to the new building going up.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2008, 12:25 AM
A before E

how can they call this a tower?

http://www.gatewaytowers.net/

Old Posted Apr 13, 2008, 2:51 AM

dunno...but the prices aren't bad.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2008, 3:25 AM

Housing project replaces motel on Interstate Avenue
Portland Business Journal - by Wendy Culverwell Business Journal staff writer

The proverbial dirt is flying on North Interstate Avenue, where the old Crown Motel is giving way to a new apartment project designed to accommodate lower-income families.

Demolition crews finished tearing down the 19-unit Crown Motel at 5226 N. Interstate earlier this month. Walsh Construction soon will begin construction of Patton Place Apartments, a $12 million, five-story mixed-use project with three-bedroom units and space for street-level retailers.

It's been a long time coming for Tri-Met, which bought the Crown Motel in order to spur redevelopment along the Yellow MAX line, and for Reach Community Development, the private nonprofit developer selected for the project.

When complete, Patton Park will offer 54 apartments priced to serve families earning 60 percent or less of the median family income for Portland, or $40,750 for a family of four.

TriMet bought the Crown Motel in 2005, paying about $908,000 for the property, which was built in 1959.

The regional transit agency found itself playing the role of urban renewal agency in 2004, after the MAX Yellow Line opened ahead of schedule and under budget. The Federal Transportation Agency agreed to let it spend surplus money in neighborhoods around the stations. The decision swelled its "station area" budget to nearly $4 million, from about $500,000.

That gave TriMet a mission and the resources to invest in the neighborhoods around the new light rail line.

Jillian Detweiler, development manager of TriMet, said the Crown Motel emerged quickly as a contender for redevelopment since it is across the street from Patton Park and is near Killingsworth Station.

Both are critical amenities for low-income renters, families in particular.

Importantly, the Crown had a willing seller, unlike many of the other motels along North Interstate. TriMet and neighbors agreed the property should be used to bolster affordable housing while bringing more retailers to the district.

Ten developers, both for- and not-for profit, bid on the Crown redevelopment project. Reach offered the winning mix of larger units, retail space and a solid operational history that appealed to TriMet.

"Reach was selected not just because of their demonstrated ability to build good buildings, but because they continue to own their buildings and they support their residents with good services," Detweiler said.

In March, Reach bought the property from TriMet for $300,000, a discount price that reflects the public purpose mission to provide rental units at below-market rates.

Reach immediately set out to demolish the Crown Motel, and anticipates a completion date of Feb. 9, 2009, for the full project, designed by Sera Architects.

It took a complex mix of loans, tax credits and subsidies to make Patton Park Apartments a reality and it was all the more complicated by diminished demand for tax credits since many traditional tax credit investors don't have profits to tax.

Enterprise Portland, the local arm of Enterprise Community Investment, provided $3.2 million in equity, backed by federal low-income housing tax credits. Kate Allen, director of Enterprise Portland, said getting the project took intricate negotiations, but the value of the effort paid off.

The project also includes a construction loan by Bank of America that will become a $3.3 million permanent loan, a permanent loan from the Network for Oregon Affordable Housing, and $4.4 million from the Portland Development Commission. Regional agency Metro loaned $365,000 and TriMet contributed $190,000 in addition to the discounted real estate.

"We've all had to do some real stretching to make the finances work for this," said Enterprise's Allen.

Enterprise finds for-profit investors to buy tax credits awarded to groups such as Reach. Finding those kinds of investors is tough in a market where financial institutions tend not to have an excess tax problem.

The Patton Park Apartments will consist of 4,500 square feet of commercial space at street level, with four floors of apartments.

Twelve three-bedroom units are being supported by the Housing Authority of Portland via federal Section 8 housing vouchers.

As for the impressive Crown Motel sign that once stood sentry over North Interstate?

It was removed on March 17, but definitely is not forgotten.

The nonprofit Mid-Century Modern League arranged for Ramsay Signs Inc. to store it for a year while supporters locate a permanent home and raise the $35,000 to $40,000 cost of restoring the soaring neon fixture.

Why bother?

Alyssa Starelli, the league's leader, called it an unusual installation that reflects Interstate's history, as part of the highway leading to the Columbia River crossing. The avenue is still dominated by 1950s-era motels marked by flamboyant signs. The surge of public interest in the Crown sign's future convinced her and others who love mid-century design to attempt to preserve it.

"Interstate is undergoing so much zone changes, if we don't save the signs, there will not be anything left," she said.

wculverwell@bizjournals.com | 503-219-3415
http://portland.bizjournals.com/port...ml?t=printable

Old Posted Apr 13, 2008, 6:05 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland