HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Aug 22, 2020, 10:12 AM

I hope this gets built.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2020, 12:23 AM

So, this got remanded back to the Design Commission. There will be two more hearings at the Design Commission, followed by another City Council hearing.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Oct 2, 2020, 3:00 AM
BANNED

Wait just because it gets appealed it has to do the whole process again? So the first 3 times wasn’t enough?

Old Posted Oct 2, 2020, 3:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
So, this got remanded back to the Design Commission. There will be two more hearings at the Design Commission, followed by another City Council hearing.
That's an insane timeframe. The project will have been in the review process for over a year by the time the City Council finally hears it again. I assume the developer has agreed to waive the 120-day review timeframe long ago?

Old Posted Oct 2, 2020, 4:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED_PDXer View Post
That's an insane timeframe. The project will have been in the review process for over a year by the time the City Council finally hears it again. I assume the developer has agreed to waive the 120-day review timeframe long ago?
Yeah pretty much every project that goes through DR gets strongly encourage to sign a waiver.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2020, 7:32 AM
A before E

Quote:
Yeah pretty much every project that goes through DR gets strongly encourage to sign a waiver.
Oh yeah, building in Portland, if an outside company doesn't work with a local company to help guide them through this process, the project almost never gets built.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2020, 4:30 PM

The article is locked for me, as a non-subscriber, but, looks like the Pearl District locals didn't get their wish:

https://djcoregon.com/news/2020/11/1...till-says-yes/

Old Posted Feb 19, 2021, 4:58 PM

City Council Findings and Conclusions. City Council had a unanimous vote to deny the appeal.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2021, 12:20 AM

Patricia Cliff and crew continue their absurd crusade of obstruction:

Opponents of 23-Story Pearl District Hyatt Hotel, With Apartments Above, Will Appeal Council Approval
The battle over density in the city's core continues.

The group Pearl Neighbors for Integrity in Design announced today it will appeal the January City Council approval of a proposed 23-story Hyatt Place Hotel slated for a quarter-block at Northwest 12th Avenue and Flanders Street.

The neighborhood group has long opposed the project, which would include 12 floors of apartments on top of the 11-story hotel, with the building rising to the 250-foot maximum height allowed under the Central City 2035 plan. That plan is supposed to increase density in the downtown core.

But PNID says the project's height is out of scale with the surrounding neighborhood, which includes historic low-rise buildings.

...continues

Old Posted Mar 10, 2021, 2:55 AM
BANNED

The City Council just had a unanimous vote to deny the appeal. So are they appealing the appeal? What the hell is going on?

Old Posted Mar 10, 2021, 1:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorbinWarrick View Post
The City Council just had a unanimous vote to deny the appeal. So are they appealing the appeal? What the hell is going on?
Yes, the article says they are appealing to LUBA (the State Land Use Board of Appeals) where they will lose. But they will delay the project.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2021, 3:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delaney View Post
Yes, the article says they are appealing to LUBA (the State Land Use Board of Appeals) where they will lose. But they will delay the project.
The developer can proceed with building permit reviews at their own risk, regardless of this appeal. A foundation permit was submitted almost two years ago, but there hasn't been any activity with it in a while.

After LUBA the appellant could then appeal to Court of Appeals and then Oregon Supreme Court. That one Lake Oswego design review case went all the way to the Supreme Court and all the courts along the way denied the appeals.

Here's a link to FAQs on LUBA which is kinda interesting. It's possible the appellant could be on the hook for the developer's attorney fees, but only if the court finds the case had no merit.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2021, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorbinWarrick View Post
New buildings at NW Hoyt & 18th were appealed to LUBA in similar fashion, and the appeal was eventually denied, which led to a ~1 year delay before permits were under review.

It seems the PNID argument has been a moving target over time, first height, then mass, then how it fits in the Pearl, "cultural and ethnic diversity", now the Flanders greenway. I wish Cliff just said what she really wants to say, that it will block her view, so we can all quickly say no and move on.

Since the developer appears to be operating within the CC guidelines for height, I'm all for the cost of the appeal to fall on PNID. It'd be a shame if these sham arguments cost the developer and potentially delay or nix the project.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2021, 10:04 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED_PDXer View Post
The developer can proceed with building permit reviews at their own risk, regardless of this appeal. A foundation permit was submitted almost two years ago, but there hasn't been any activity with it in a while.

After LUBA the appellant could then appeal to Court of Appeals and then Oregon Supreme Court. That one Lake Oswego design review case went all the way to the Supreme Court and all the courts along the way denied the appeals.

Here's a link to FAQs on LUBA which is kinda interesting. It's possible the appellant could be on the hook for the developer's attorney fees, but only if the court finds the case had no merit.
Oh man 2 years?! Yea this project is probably cancelled anyways at this point

Old Posted May 28, 2021, 7:12 PM

dropped appeal

From what I understand, the group dropped their appeal on May 7. It was dismissed by Luba May 11.

Old Posted May 28, 2021, 8:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopdx View Post
From what I understand, the group dropped their appeal on May 7. It was dismissed by Luba May 11.
Thanks. Here's the final order.

Old Posted May 28, 2021, 8:16 PM
BANNED

Great. When does construction start ?

Old Posted Sep 9, 2021, 6:08 PM

Has anyone heard any news on this project? Looks like their mechanical permit expired but their foundation permit is under review? That sounds backwards...

Old Posted Oct 7, 2021, 10:40 PM

"Corrections Received" 10/04/2021 per Portland Maps. They could just be trying to keep the permit alive, or they could be moving ahead.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2021, 10:49 PM

Quote:
"Corrections Received" 10/04/2021 per Portland Maps. They could just be trying to keep the permit alive, or they could be moving ahead.
I look right at this site from my new office. I'd love to watch this one rise!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland