HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Jan 8, 2008, 1:54 AM
them bones

My GF took me to Arthur Avenue when we were there in November. She's an Italian from the neighborhood. We did the full Italian dinner with 'the family'. Totally dug it. The indoor market that Crawford mentioned was fascinating.

Accoring to Uncle Joe...this place is a f*cking tourist trap:

The Pork Store freaked me out.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2008, 2:02 AM
St. Louis. Bitch.

Bronxolicious!

Old Posted Jan 8, 2008, 2:55 AM

ah! I go back to Fordham this weekend and was feeling very schoolsick, so these were a great find.

Roberto is definitely the best, if you're willing to pay the price. It's not expensive for New York, but it is for the neighborhood. Emilia's and Ann & Tony's are my usuals, though. Tino's Chicken Parm heroes are magical. And despite all the neighborhood controversy, Palombo's is the best place for a cannoli and espresso.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2008, 3:25 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by plinko View Post
Accoring to Uncle Joe...this place is a f*cking tourist trap:

He's right but it's a well-known tourist trap which is why I took its picture--I'd never eat there myself.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2008, 5:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTinSF View Post
I walked past the Metro North Station (where I bought some peanuts) and it looked all closed up. It was Saturday--do the trains run on weekends? Anyway, first thing I always do upon arrival in NYC is buy a 7-day Metrocard so the subway ride was "free" while I don't think the Metro North would have been (am I wrong?)--yes, I'm a cheap SOB .
You're right that an unlimited Metrocard doesn't work on Metronorth. On the weekends there's a discount ticket called Cityticket that lets you take MN and the LIRR within the city for $3 one way, but for some reason I think the Harlem line (which serves Fordham Road) is exempt.

The station is open 7 days a week, though, and it's usually pretty busy.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2008, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KVNBKLYN View Post
You're right that an unlimited Metrocard doesn't work on Metronorth. On the weekends there's a discount ticket called Cityticket that lets you take MN and the LIRR within the city for $3 one way, but for some reason I think the Harlem line (which serves Fordham Road) is exempt.

The station is open 7 days a week, though, and it's usually pretty busy.
The City Ticket works on the Harlem line.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2008, 1:09 PM
BANNED

Guys, after I discovered this option when I walked past and through the Fordham Road terminal area (it's a bus depot too), I considered going back downtown this way, but I saw a sign that said "Tickets cheaper before getting on train" next to a shuttered kiosk that I (apparently wrongly) deduced was where you normally could buy a ticket. I watched the station entrance for a while (while eating peanuts)--where you could go down to the trains--and no one came or went, so I also deduced (again, wrongly) the trains might not run on Saturdays since they were essentially commuter trains.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2008, 4:57 PM
Old Fart Forumer

What a fun tour of the kind of hood we don't see very often. Dandy stuff BT, look forward to more of your NY wanderings.

Retired, now Grandpa Daycare

Old Posted Jan 8, 2008, 11:59 PM
Waiting for what's next..

Talking BT, get your butt home (and bring your camera)

Great photos. It's a part of my heritage that I like (food). Can you give a definition of interesting without getting whacked?

Hope your trip has been an great one... again, great photos. Were they taken before or after Christmas holiday? I see decorations, but not that many, or at least not as many as I remember.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2008, 12:46 AM
BANNED

^^^They were taken the day the thread was started--even though it's now 8 days into the New Year, lots of decorations just beginning to come down (and the stores are having their final desperation sales). I laughed in Brooks Brothers because there was this huge sign saying "Sale ends Jan 6" but the sales lady readily admitted to me that what that really meant was that there would be further markdowns Jan 7. 50% off the pre-existing markdown was common today but expect to have to compete with the hordes of Euro-wielding Eurotrash to get anything good.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos