HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 2, 2007, 9:28 PM
Density and complexity

This issue looks like it will be on CTV News tonight.

I wonder, would anyone here live on a street that was closed entirely to car traffic?

Old Posted Apr 2, 2007, 9:46 PM
Closed account

Not if it were lined with outdoor patios open until 2:00 am (like Prince Arthur in Montreal - love the street, wouldn't live on the street). Sadly, traffic noise seems a lot less intrusive than people noise.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2007, 9:59 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

The real question is whether or not removing vehicles actually generates pedestrian traffic.

Stephen Ave in Calgary may be busy but it would probably be busy anyway if there were cars, or at least that pedestrian traffic would still be present in the downtown in some form and would give rise to the same sorts of businesses. The level of pedestrian traffic present in that photo is not anything that couldn't be comfortably accommodated with regular sidewalks.

I don't think there are any examples of streets that were made busier simply because cars were eliminated, but there are plenty of example of areas that have been killed off by cutting off vehicular traffic.

Sparks Street, Ottawa:

Old Posted Apr 2, 2007, 10:34 PM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
The real question is whether or not removing vehicles actually generates pedestrian traffic.

Stephen Ave in Calgary may be busy but it would probably be busy anyway if there were cars, or at least that pedestrian traffic would still be present in the downtown in some form and would give rise to the same sorts of businesses. The level of pedestrian traffic present in that photo is not anything that couldn't be comfortably accommodated with regular sidewalks.

I don't think there are any examples of streets that were made busier simply because cars were eliminated, but there are plenty of example of areas that have been killed off by cutting off vehicular traffic.

Sparks Street, Ottawa:
Its not just a matter of cutting off traffic, Its also invloves a markeing campaign, in which public awareness is the focus. Once you can combine the outdoor patio businesses with the surounding people (both works and residents) you have a very good shot at success.

Calgary is an excellent expample of a city which took a rundown strip and made it vibrant again.

Regina has also had strong success with its Scarth Street Mall. Winnipeg's downtown corporate community is many times larger than Regina's, so discounting Winnipeg's chances because it "only" has a handfull of highrise office towers within a block of Albert Street just doesn't have merit.

If it has a good design and is marketed correctly to both users and also the business community as a whole this thing would take off I am pretty sure.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2007, 10:57 PM
Robot Hand is the Future

This sounds like an idea that WUI could get behind. I'd be interested in the results of the petition and to hear more from the other businesses and stakeholders. I'd also like to see a bit more of a detailed plan than simply a street without cars.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2007, 11:11 PM
Density and complexity

It would be a great make-work project for landscape architects.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2007, 12:09 AM
urbanYVR.com

of course, it's just the gay community who wants to close the street...

http://winnipeg.craigslist.org/rnr/304989113.html

homosexual agenda!

Old Posted Apr 3, 2007, 12:16 AM
Majestic

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post

Wait, what was that about your silly little sidewalks?

Flickr

Old Posted Apr 3, 2007, 12:25 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris550 View Post

Wait, what was that about your silly little sidewalks?

6th, 9th and 5th... all have next to nothing to offer.

8th is so popular because it attracts the kind of businesses which can capitalize on pedestrain traffic. Infact just look at what you have on 8th further down ... its nothing like the pedestrain mall. Its really crap.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2007, 12:27 AM
Majestic

Quote:
Originally Posted by newflyer View Post
6th, 9th and 5th... all have next to nothing to offer.

8th is so popular because it attracts the kind of businesses which can capitalize on pedestrain traffic. Infact just look at what you have on 8th further down ... its nothing like the pedestrain mall. Its really crap.
I can't tell if you are speaking with me or against me here... but I am arguing in favour of the pedestrian mall...

Flickr

Old Posted Apr 4, 2007, 1:44 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris550 View Post
I can't tell if you are speaking with me or against me here... but I am arguing in favour of the pedestrian mall...
really??? ... me too.

Just wanted to recognize that it takes more than just removing the cars.

It would take a marketing campaign to draw attention. Paper ads, radio ads .. promotional events .. what ever. Just get the word out.

Also attract some more pedestrain feiendly businesses .. such as padio restaurants or cafes.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2007, 1:48 AM
Capitalist

That pic of the McNally's on 8th should inspire the exchange district. Having more main stream retail would be a big boost.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2007, 2:04 AM
visionary

Quote:
That pic of the McNally's on 8th should inspire the exchange district. Having more main stream retail would be a big boost.
I agree

Old Posted Apr 4, 2007, 2:46 AM
Canadian Urbanite

newflyer asked for some pictures of Regina's pedestrian mall in downtown Regina.

Wasn't able to find pictures where it's actually busy though...

Old Posted Apr 4, 2007, 2:52 AM
surely you agree with me

hmmm...is it successful?....i have never seen that.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2007, 3:00 AM
Canadian Urbanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
Actually it's kind of odd, because it's quite successful.

I believe there is only one vacant building open for rent. It has quite an array of uses; restaurants, a gallery, the globe theatre, salons, clothing shops, condos, a newspaper, comic book store, etc. It get really busy during the summer.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2007, 3:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCF View Post
Actually it's kind of odd, because it's quite successful.

I believe there is only one vacant building open for rent. It has quite an array of uses; restaurants, a gallery, the globe theatre, salons, clothing shops, condos, a newspaper, comic book store, etc. It get really busy during the summer.
Then there's the summer stage there, too. There's nothing like it in summer. Those pictures look quite old...I've seen great pictures online but can't seem to find any right now???

Old Posted Apr 4, 2007, 3:30 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
It is successful ... especially in summer, but various attempts to make it attractive in the winter as well.

They used to put a public skating rink between the two MacCallum towers (twin towers)... I haven't been back in winter for years, but it was an interesting concept. A tiny reflection of Rockefeller Centre in NYC.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2007, 3:32 AM
Canadian Urbanite

Quote:
It is successful ... especially in summer, but various attempts to make it attractive in the winter as well.

They used to put a public skating rink between the two MacCallum towers (twin towers)... I haven't been back in winter for years, but it was an interesting concept. A tiny reflection of Rockefeller Centre in NYC.
I'd like to see them put a public skating rink in again in downtown. But, I'll refrain from turning this into a Regina thread. Sorry Winnipeg!

Old Posted Apr 4, 2007, 5:13 AM

here are some newer pics of Regina's Scarth Street

this one shows that people still use it in cold weather (almost as bad as Winnipeg winters), so you guys should be able to pull it off

This one looks old

This is actually south of the pedestrian-only portion of Scarth street, but the city often extends the pedestrian mall by closing this street off to vehicles for social events, farmer's market, etc.. The actual perminent pedestrian mall starts at the base of the "slanty" glass towers

Last edited by ReginaGuy; Apr 4, 2007 at 5:23 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan