HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Aug 23, 2018, 3:05 PM
Resident Moron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
For the record to our SA neighbors who may be checking this thread out, we are not bashing or trying to start a city vs city argument. Simply highlighting general observations which show this type of perception.
Right,

San Antonio is a great town with a lot going on, and really I'm focusing on the Urban core only when talking about this stuff and not some greater measurement of cities. San Antonio is my second favorite city in Texas for lots of reasons, and the stuff they are doing around the newer parts of the riverwalk is something other cities wish they had.

If anything, Austin is a really weird outlier (thanks young tech money) that out-punches it's weight-class when it comes to the urban core of the city.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2018, 5:03 PM
Member since 2001

The Austin metro population will surpass S.A.'s by 2035 if the last 15 years of growth are used as a model.

*Now, please, let's get back to talk about this awesome development/news - 708'!!! You know, The Independent's claim to Austin's tallest may be shorter lived than Frost's. In fact, it may fall to #3 by 2021.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2018, 5:20 PM
Resident Moron

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoot View Post
The Austin metro population will surpass S.A.'s by 2035 if the last 15 years of growth are used as a model.

*Now, please, let's get back to talk about this awesome development/news - 708'!!! You know, The Independent's claim to Austin's tallest may be shorter lived than Frost's. In fact, it may fall to #3 by 2021.
Yeah, 708 is insane.

In comparing to Dallas, this guy would theoretically be as big as Fountain Place (more or less) and 600 Guad would be around Renaissance Tower's height.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2018, 5:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoOgE View Post
Yeah, 708 is insane.

In comparing to Dallas, this guy would theoretically be as big as Fountain Place (more or less) and 600 Guad would be around Renaissance Tower's height.
That silly little castle on top of Renaissance shouldn't count

Old Posted Aug 23, 2018, 5:59 PM
Resident Moron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigaven View Post
Ok, so Dallas's 2nd tallest then

The really nice thing is it seems our "floor" has jumped from 400' to between 500-600 feet for new proposals which is a fantastic sign for downtown. If market demands start pushing buildings taller who knows, we could start seeing stuff get up to the 900-1000' range

Old Posted Aug 23, 2018, 6:03 PM
Voice of the Modern World

Quote:

The really nice thing is it seems our "floor" has jumped from 400' to between 500-600 feet for new proposals which is a fantastic sign for downtown. If market demands start pushing buildings taller who knows, we could start seeing stuff get up to the 900-1000' range
I like that this is all happening incrementally so that Austin's skyline can gradually keep reaching a new ceiling and then breaking it again and again.

It'll help Austin avoid that OKC-Devon Tower situation. I like the Devon Tower but the way it dominates a skyline just looks so unnatural to me. I actually like SA's skyline more. They don't have anything as tall as Devon Tower but they have a really balanced skyline. SA skyline panoramas are always nice.

I would like Austin's skyline to follow in Calgary's footpath for height, mass, density, and size.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2018, 7:54 PM
Resident Moron

Quote:
Originally Posted by N90 View Post
I like that this is all happening incrementally so that Austin's skyline can gradually keep reaching a new ceiling and then breaking it again and again.

It'll help Austin avoid that OKC-Devon Tower situation. I like the Devon Tower but the way it dominates a skyline just looks so unnatural to me. I actually like SA's skyline more. They don't have anything as tall as Devon Tower but they have a really balanced skyline. SA skyline panoramas are always nice.

I would like Austin's skyline to follow in Calgary's footpath for height, mass, density, and size.
Yeah, and hopefully things like 600 Guad set a new expectation for high-end condos and this building (along with Block 185) create a new standard for office space in the city and we start seeing real pushes for both height and engineering (both from an aesthetic but also a detail/budget perspective)

Old Posted Aug 24, 2018, 2:00 AM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoot View Post
Yeah, it's hard to believe it may actually not be our tallest for very long. Also, if The Travis ends up being built, it'll likely bump The Independent to 4th tallest since the height we heard for it was 695 feet. Since most of the preliminary heights we've been hearing are only to the main roof of buildings, it's possible that The Travis could even end up being taller than 695 feet since there's been a trend for a while of not counting mechanical penthouses when getting approval for height. The Travis then could potentially be 30 to 50 feet taller than the stated 695 feet. It may even end up being taller than The Republic, which would give us two 700 footers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by N90 View Post

I agree about the importance of balancing the skyline. Having one building that is excessively taller than the rest ends up demanding so much attention that the rest of the skyline goes unnoticed. I think a lot of "flat skylines cities" wish they could have something really tall all at once, but I sort of think it ruins the dynamic of the skyline.

And I agree. I think San Antonio's skyline is appropriately proportioned at the moment. Having something way taller than everything else would be a shame since it would distract from so many beautiful old buildings. Of course, San Antonio's downtown is set up so that it's poised to have a logical area for newer taller buildings. I wouldn't expect too many new tall buildings on the east side of downtown around the convention center and Alamo or even along the Riverwalk too much, but the west side of downtown is prime for some big towers. I've always kind of liked the dynamic of San Antonio's downtown where the commercial office area of it is somewhat separate from the more touristy spots. I like it because so many of San Antonio's grand old buildings are located in that touristy zone of downtown. I like the possibility that San Antonio could get some good height for their downtown while still not overshadowing and hiding their old gems.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2018, 2:06 AM
Meh

Quote:
Yeah, 708 is insane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigaven View Post
Quote:

The height we've always gone with for the Renaissance Tower in Dallas is 886 feet. Before they added the spire, the height was listed as 710 feet for the roof. I've always thought that 886 foot height seemed a little tall. I've measured it at 850 feet to the spire, which seems more accurate. 6 X Guadalupe's roof will be just 2 feet shorter than the Renaissance Tower's spire. It's kind of a bummer it didn't best it, but 6 X Guadalupe will still have the 5th highest roof in the state, and it'll be the highest roof between Los Angeles and Dallas, assuming you don't count the Stratosphere Tower in Las Vegas.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2018, 2:11 AM

http://www.emporis.com/images/show/9...m-the-west.jpg

eeeeeyuuuuuck!!! I will never make fun of the Austonian or Indie toppers again. Now back to our regular scheduled topic...

Old Posted Aug 24, 2018, 3:20 PM

It got bigger - 46 floors and is 709'.

http://www.austintexas.gov/edims/document.cfm?id=304541

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Last edited by The ATX; Aug 24, 2018 at 11:10 PM.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2018, 3:31 PM

FUCK ME runnin......WOW!

Old Posted Aug 24, 2018, 3:31 PM
Resident Moron

Holy mother of god, it's huge.

LOVE IT. Honestly, the more exaggerated angles at the increased height is improving the look of the building.

How do I get access to that deck up on top?

Someone shop in 600 Guad, The Independent and Block 185 now

Old Posted Aug 24, 2018, 3:36 PM

Old Posted Aug 24, 2018, 3:36 PM

YASSS. I love this tower!

Old Posted Aug 24, 2018, 3:37 PM

I gather this means they have a tenant(s) ?

Old Posted Aug 24, 2018, 3:39 PM

Have any tenants been announced yet?

Old Posted Aug 24, 2018, 3:42 PM
PrimaPix Visuals

Beautiful! THIS is a signature tower!

With that large of a jump they must have a major tenant/ tenants lined up. Hopefully this happens very soon.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2018, 3:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale View Post
I gather this means they have a tenant(s) ?
That would be my guess. But nothing has been announced. The developer stated a while back that the new tallest 6 X Guadalupe would be their first focus. But maybe something changed.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2018, 3:44 PM
Resident Moron

Someone is making some real hay downtown right now in office space.

This, Block 185 and 6X all seem on track to break ground in the next 6 months or so.

I'm guessing Google, Facebook and ??? to bring this much office online all at once.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin