HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

The Alexander in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Halifax Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Jan 24, 2009, 2:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haliguy View Post
Where did hear that?
Industry knowledge mostly.

Besides, the activity on trillum is evident that the market is soft for high end condo's. That coupled with financing difficulties the major projects will be harder to proceed until things change.

Its truly sad that we have finally got this project approved only to run into this economic crisis. I say 1st QTR 2010 we will see a much improved environment and the begining construction news.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2009, 9:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phrenic View Post
I'd be willing to insert the renderings in their locations on a large pano of our skyline, but I make no guarantees about how polished it would look...I'm simply not that good, lol.

It is a good idea though and gives you a good sense of what the city will look like. For example, here is a future rendering of Toronto, with all of it's proposed, approved and under construction projects. Credit goes to user "Maldive".

:-( ...the link doesn't work anymore. It says the file cannot be found. Was it moved somewhere else?

Old Posted Feb 27, 2009, 1:50 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jringe01 View Post
:-( ...the link doesn't work anymore. It says the file cannot be found. Was it moved somewhere else?
Ummm....I don't know.

But there was an article about it in the National Post the other day.

http://network.nationalpost.com/np/b...e-divined.aspx

Also:

http://network.nationalpost.com/np/b...t-falling.aspx

Old Posted Feb 27, 2009, 8:42 PM

i will always love Toronto....I feel like I'm missing so much of what's going on there...It's kind of depressing at times....ohhh and Adam McDowell can suck my B****..."skyscraper geek"...no..."urban visionary"...yes

Old Posted Feb 27, 2009, 10:02 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Yeah, "skyscraper geek" sounds pretty insulting, especially for somebody who gave you an image and story to publish. It takes a lot of work to put those images together.

I will do a larger one for Halifax eventually.

I agree that it's very sad that this project was approved only to be shelved due to the economy. This was proposed back in 2003 or so.

I personally believe that Halifax has seen a significantly smaller amount of development than it otherwise would have simply because of bungling by council, appeals by the Heritage Trust, etc. Most people in the city don't care or aren't aware of it. Those who do care get frustrated and leave. This is why the city remains small and has a slightly sluggish economy despite all kinds of advantages.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2009, 10:05 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Also, by the way.. some of those Toronto projects are also on hold. The One Bloor East site was cleared, for example, but I believe that it is now stalled.

Of course, a few major projects there have been started (Bay-Adelaide and Trump I guess), whereas none of the largest Halifax projects have broken ground. Toronto has also seen 4-5 major new public institutions and renovations while HRM council was bickering about a library needed 20 years ago.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2009, 4:10 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Also, by the way.. some of those Toronto projects are also on hold. The One Bloor East site was cleared, for example, but I believe that it is now stalled.
One Bloor had financing in place...but it was through Lehman Brothers. So needless to say, it didn't work out. Many other projects by inexperienced developers looking to cash in on the building boom have been since put on hold as they are unable to get financing, even if a majority of their units were sold. But most of the largest projects, such as Trump, The Ritz Carleton and Aura are being built by experienced developers and had financing in place before the market crash are going full steam ahead.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2009, 4:00 PM
we built this city

Wasn't that Toronto rendering by Maldive?

It can be found on the urbantoronto forums I believe.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2009, 11:07 PM

Some photos of the lot taken today by me;

Old Posted May 10, 2009, 7:44 PM

No news for this one but I did find a rendering I'd never seen before of this on the Ekistics Website.

Rooftop Gardens PDF

Old Posted May 10, 2009, 7:52 PM

I really hope it gets built, anyone wanna e-mail the developer?

Old Posted May 10, 2009, 9:27 PM
we built this city

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedford_DJ View Post
No news for this one but I did find a rendering I'd never seen before of this on the Ekistics Website.

Rooftop Gardens PDF
Good find... I think it integrates the block well.

Old Posted May 10, 2009, 10:03 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

This part of the city is about half parking right now and doesn't feel like a real part of the downtown. I think with this tower and the Salter St development the feel would be totally different.

Similarly Hollis needs 3-4 nice new buildings to become a really solid street. United Gulf would be one of them, for example.

Old Posted May 10, 2009, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
This part of the city is about half parking right now and doesn't feel like a real part of the downtown. I think with this tower and the Salter St development the feel would be totally different.

Similarly Hollis needs 3-4 nice new buildings to become a really solid street. United Gulf would be one of them, for example.
definitely true.... the Hollis and Morris should help too, and the 500 employee's at the new NSP will definitely help the area have a little more vibrancy to it

Old Posted May 11, 2009, 3:56 AM
Dartmouth Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedford_DJ View Post

Rooftop Gardens PDF
I love how the building will pull that area of "downtown" together. I love the design of the building, but my brain keeps running a thought through my head... this design kind of looks like if you mashed the two horizon towers at Mic Mac together into 1 design, this is what you'd get going half and half. haha.

Old Posted May 11, 2009, 1:21 PM

I was on the developers website and they plan to put a garden on the roof, which seems pretty cool.

Old Posted May 11, 2009, 1:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalNinja View Post
I was on the developers website and they plan to put a garden on the roof, which seems pretty cool.
See my last post for the PDF thing about the garden.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2009, 3:15 PM
Fizzix geek

So is there any news on this at all... or is this likely dead until the condo market improves?

Old Posted Oct 27, 2009, 4:46 PM

I hope if and when they build this the city turns Lower Water into a one way street. With buses, transport trucks, cars the Harbour Hopper and tour buses going both ways, it's simply too congested.

Add to that all of the cruise ship passengers milling around and someone's going to get squished.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2009, 7:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyeas View Post
So is there any news on this at all... or is this likely dead until the condo market improves?
Probably won't go up for awhile. Especially with the Vic the next block over and the Trillium in the area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2B1B View Post
I hope if and when they build this the city turns Lower Water into a one way street. With buses, transport trucks, cars the Harbour Hopper and tour buses going both ways, it's simply too congested.

Add to that all of the cruise ship passengers milling around and someone's going to get squished.
Yah its really congested up to Prince (or whatever the Ferry road is).

Didn't a pedestrian get run over on Lower Water by a dump truck a few months ago?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth