HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jun 7, 2021, 12:39 AM

Drone view from corner of St George and Weldon looking south. 2nd photo from same location looking south east. Density within the urban core is starting to take shape. You can almost see and predict the next spot for a hopefully 7-8 story apartment.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2021, 12:49 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Great photos BlackYear!

Density in the downtown west end taking a big step forward. Meanwhile, density in the downtown east end takes a step backwards (see my post about the Ashford plans for the old jail on Assumption Blvd on the previous page).

Old Posted Jun 7, 2021, 1:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

Great photos BlackYear!

Density in the downtown west end taking a big step forward. Meanwhile, density in the downtown east end takes a step backwards (see my post about the Ashford plans for the old jail on Assumption Blvd on the previous page).
I saw it. Was so disgusted, I couldn't reply to it. Someone should put a stop to that.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2021, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackYear View Post
I saw it. Was so disgusted, I couldn't reply to it. Someone should put a stop to that.
Very surprised to see this decision by Ashford given the current circumstances. It suggests that they don't see any significant redevelopment potential for this land in the foreseeable future if they are willing to make this investment. Meanwhile, other developers are proposing some of the largest-ever residential buildings in the city.

On top of that, I was under the impression that they already had some vacant office space in Assomption Place.

Does the city have any say in this?

Old Posted Jun 7, 2021, 11:45 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBNYer View Post
Very surprised to see this decision by Ashford given the current circumstances. It suggests that they don't see any significant redevelopment potential for this land in the foreseeable future if they are willing to make this investment. Meanwhile, other developers are proposing some of the largest-ever residential buildings in the city.

On top of that, I was under the impression that they already had some vacant office space in Assomption Place.

Does the city have any say in this?
Does the city have any say? I would hope so, but I suppose it depends on what the current zoning for that parcel of land is. If zoning approval is not needed, or if what Ashford wants to do does not require a variance, then I suppose Ashford can do whatever it wants with the property.

I have heard that the old jail is built like a fortress, and that demolition costs would be astronomical. In the short term therefore, a gut and reno might make some sense as the cheapest option to improve the property and make it income generating. What troubles me in this scenario however is "what sort of time frame are we talking about?" I would think spending a few million on a gut and reno only makes sense if we are looking at a 10-15 year interval to recoup the costs of the project.

What is the current status of phase 2 of Downing Street anyway? The city tends to do one thing at a time. They waited until after the Avenir Centre was built before spending any money on the Codiac RCMP HQ, and even now, construction is still a year off. The new police HQ won't open until 2024-25. If this is the case, does this mean phase 2 of Downing won't begin until 2026-27? There are other factors to consider; especially the relocation of the city market, and possible the downtown public library. This all requires planning. It could be that the "big fix" for Downing Street might not commence until 2030 or so. If this is the case, is Ashford just looking to spruce up the jail to make some money in the meantime???

Lots of questions here..............

In any event, people should let city hall know that this plan for the old jail is disappointing, and is an insult, and does not augur well for the future of the downtown core. Moncton deserves better. My long term vision for the core is for the removal of the Rogers call centre, not it's duplication..........

Old Posted Jun 7, 2021, 1:24 PM

Quote:
This is apparently what Ashford has in mind for the old provincial jail on Assumption Blvd:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2m42n88]
This rendering has been plastered on the side of the building since they bought it. It’s my understanding that it’s just a place holder to try and get some use out of the building while it’s still standing and until the rest of the development area is ready to go. I think there is a zero percent chance anything ever gets done with this building and I don’t think it’s time to panic.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2021, 2:05 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_cat_eyes View Post
This rendering has been plastered on the side of the building since they bought it. It’s my understanding that it’s just a place holder to try and get some use out of the building while it’s still standing and until the rest of the development area is ready to go. I think there is a zero percent chance anything ever gets done with this building and I don’t think it’s time to panic.
I hope you're right.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2021, 4:03 PM

Quote:
I hope you're right.
I also hope I’m right. What you were saying about the cost of tearing the building down being extremely high and the timeline being further down the road makes a lot of sense too.

It reminds me of the Crowne Plaza situation. They invested millions for what is likely going to be the short to medium term with likely long term plans to do something more substantial.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2021, 3:25 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Some news from the Robinson Court area.

Apparently Katch Seafoods/Pizza Girls is moving next door to the old Applewood Smoked BBQ location. There is also apparently a poutine restaurant moving in to where Katch and Pizza Girls is currently located. I wonder if this is a Smoke's Poutinerie? Moncton is one of the few cities in the Maritimes currently without a franchise..

Old Posted Jun 8, 2021, 3:58 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Also, Tandoori Zaika on Robinson Court is planning a major renovation and expansion. A new outdoor patio is to be added with it's own bar (amongst other things).

Old Posted Jun 8, 2021, 5:10 PM

Quote:
Some news from the Robinson Court area.

Apparently Katch Seafoods/Pizza Girls is moving next door to the old Applewood Smoked BBQ location. There is also apparently a poutine restaurant moving in to where Katch and Pizza Girls is currently located. I wonder if this is a Smoke's Poutinerie? Moncton is one of the few cities in the Maritimes currently without a franchise..
Saint John, Sydney, and Charlottetown are all bereft too. Only three in the Maritimes- downtown Halifax has 2 and one in Fredericton. Weren't there Five Guys plans? IIRC, Laval plus 4 Maritime locations?

Old Posted Jun 8, 2021, 5:22 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamuptownsj View Post
Saint John, Sydney, and Charlottetown are all bereft too. Only three in the Maritimes- downtown Halifax has 2 and one in Fredericton. Weren't there Five Guys plans? IIRC, Laval plus 4 Maritime locations?
Five Guys was announced for Moncton a couple of years ago. They had plans for Halifax, St. John's and Moncton. The Halifax and St. John's locations are operational. The pandemic then hit. I am not sure of the current plans for a Five Guys in the Hub City. Hopefully it will still come.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2021, 6:03 PM

The Halifax locations opened respectively in july 2019 and in march 2020, now the St. Johns location will open soon (mid-june), so a Moncton location will probably open in 2022.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2021, 6:38 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Welcome to the forums.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2021, 12:21 PM

Quote:

Welcome to the forums.
Thanks @MonctonRad! I look forward discussing all of the Moncton related projects with you guys!

Old Posted Jun 9, 2021, 11:14 PM

Not sure about the significance but a crew was taking core samples near the NE corner of the Delta parking lot (near Blue Cross/Downing) this afternoon.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2021, 12:07 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorkuta View Post
Not sure about the significance but a crew was taking core samples near the NE corner of the Delta parking lot (near Blue Cross/Downing) this afternoon.
Yes, a contact of mine noticed this earlier today too and messenged me.

It's fun to speculate that this might have something to do with Downing Street Phase 2, but it is way too soon to know what this really means.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2021, 12:13 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

On another note, there is even more activity occurring on Robinson Court.

The old Club Rouge is apparently under renovation. The big rumour is that there may be a microbrewery/brew pub moving in. This might be related either to The Third Glass, or to the Furnace Room. We'll have to keep an eye on this one.

If so, Robinson Court may be staging a renaissance, what with Pizza Girls, Katch Seafood, possibly Smoke's Poutinerie, a renovated Tandoori Zaika and now a potential new microbrewery.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2021, 12:28 PM

Quote:
On another note, there is even more activity occurring on Robinson Court.

The old Club Rouge is apparently under renovation. The big rumour is that there may be a microbrewery/brew pub moving in. This might be related either to The Third Glass, or to the Furnace Room. We'll have to keep an eye on this one.

If so, Robinson Court may be staging a renaissance, what with Pizza Girls, Katch Seafood, possibly Smoke's Poutinerie, a renovated Tandoori Zaika and now a potential new microbrewery.
That would be a long time coming. It has so much wasted potential at the moment. Over the years it's hosted way too many poorly run bars which has been a carousel of different ownerships. Even now the frontage on Navs / 2nd floor is quite embarrassing.

The furnace room is generally quite busy on the weekends. If they expanded to add a small microbrewery that would make a lot of sense. They could have a pretty sizable patio with the 2 units and probably increased synergy with third glass depending how the interiors connect. Everyone in this city knows patios = customers.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2021, 7:49 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Here's a pano from the top floor of Ashford Living's apartment building under construction at 45 Gordon Street (corner of Gordon and Highfield). Photo found on the Ashford Living Facebook page.

Last edited by MonctonRad; Jun 29, 2021 at 8:00 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces